2 year + Fanboy of Swtor sadly cancels his account.

Dualthreat

Ah well, a game cannot cater to all. I shall love this game in your stead ! :)

Personally, I love RPGs, played all the best such as Little Big Adventure, System Shock 2, FF7, Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Mass Effect, Divine Divinity, Fallout 1 & 2, Arx Fatalis, Knights of the Old Republic, Planescape: Torment, Morrowind and Skyrim, aswell as the much loved classics from the 80's and early 90's and I find SWTOR to be a brilliant experience. Been playing over 3 weeks now and I find no reason to stop playing yet. :)

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And despite these negative reviews you say you are seeing, there are still a TON of people playing.

If this isn't your cup of tea, so be it. No one ever claimed this game would be for everyone. Obviously, you are one of those who it isn't for. Seriously though...if you think that the combat is boring.....what MMO's have you played that are better?

My wife and I quit WoW for this. I have played quite a few MMO's and this is the best, plus set in Star Wars, which I love. Bioware has earned a lengthy subscription from both of us. SWTOR is absolutely awesome for us.

Anyhow....Thank you very much for letting everyone know that you are quitting. One less person in the que. :D

Edited by Vhaedros

But the criticisms you cite that prompted you to cancel simply weren't going to change by launch day.

I've been in similar situations with past MMOs. Well, one in particular that I won't mention.

In my case, I just felt like I'd invested so much over the months, that I had to see it through, and buy the game, in the slim hope that I might end up liking it more than it seemed. The box price was nothing, compared to months I'd spent testing the game, posting about it, etc, etc. I couldn't bail on buying it, after all that.

Edited by Vihazur

My biggest issues were the world is very static and dead. I feel like I am walking, and walking, and walking and walking and walking through a cut and paste game where nothing lives, paths, moves or changes. Its all just stuck in place. You move from area to area of this cut and paste environment with fairly boring combat mechanics that get old fast. You run into some good story but then way to many cut and long cut scenes for minor quests. I love this aspect for the main story parts but to do it for everything was massive overkill.

Weird, I see it the opposite. Also, you get a mount at 25, so you don't need to walk.

You move from area to area doing quests in WOW also. You don't like long movie cut scenes, use the space bar.

It's like waiting to long for your first time. The anticipation made the expectations bigger as life. Nothing can live up to such expectations.

honestly if it had just been a wow clone with fun star wars combat id have kept playing, but the worlds are so empty and devoid of any feeling of life. I even hoped on my wow toon, I cant really go back to that game but had fun doing a few bgs since I enjoy the combat mechanics. I just played wow for to many years, EQ was the same way after 5 years. I've tried most major mmos, I enjoy wars rvr but the reason I quit was much the same as here, the worlds were just open and dead. My expectations after beta were pretty small. I read some reviews that said 20+ the game got better, which it did, but the overall game itself is not good enough to keep playing.

The point was they quit over the reasons the fan site reviews given, bad combat, overkill on cut scenes, way to much walking for no good reason, dead world with static mobs that don't move, single player game poorly done. Pvp is pretty terrible and boring. These are just a few of the reasons you see 6.1/10 ratings by thousands of fan's reviewing the game. I know those who love it don't like to hear this but ignoring it won't make it go away or be invalid when such a large number lead to these ratings. Anways if you like it that is good, keep playing it!

Some critics will rate a movie or song even...5 stars. When I would'nt rate them nothing higher than one star. They usually will pick out the points they like or dislike and ignore the other features which make a game good or bad. PC Gamer gave TOR a 93% rating? Which is very accurate. Most sites have rated it 90% and above. I enjoy the game immensely because of the reasons those sites rate TOR 90% and above. But I had allready made up my mind on the game during the short beta I did for it. Would'nt really matter to me what other sites would rate it.

Edited by Valkirus

Quick question: Why come on the forums to announce your departure? There is obviously some sort of rhetorical point you are trying to make.

1) To bad mouth the game

2) Troll

3) See points 1 + 2

/nobody cares

Some thrive on drama. No matter what, they will look for reasons to stir things up. Maybe he is trying to justifly his reasons for leaving...what he really needs to do is move on and stop posting in a game forum he really is not going to play anymore.

The point was they quit over the reasons the fan site reviews given, bad combat, overkill on cut scenes, way to much walking for no good reason, dead world with static mobs that don't move, single player game poorly done. Pvp is pretty terrible and boring. These are just a few of the reasons you see 6.1/10 ratings by thousands of fan's reviewing the game. I know those who love it don't like to hear this but ignoring it won't make it go away or be invalid when such a large number lead to these ratings. Anways if you like it that is good, keep playing it!

Fansites are filled with opinions. That's all. For instance, the only thing I don't like about combat is the delay. But that will be fixed. I love PvP. I'm having more fun with it than I ever did PvP in WoW. Don't care about static mobs, just care about questing and learning more about my story. Single player game done poorly?

No.

Have you even been paying attention to your story? Bioware put eight different main storylines in this game. Poor single player... Come on. Overkill on cutscenes? Have you ever played a Bioware game before? Their games are for better or worse... Cinematic. Deal with it.

I'm not ignoring anything, I accept that you have your OPINION and websites have people with their own OPINION but I have my own opinion and ideas about what this game should be and you shouldn't treat your opinion or anyone else's as a fact.

Some thrive on drama. No matter what, they will look for reasons to stir things up. Maybe he is trying to justifly his reasons for leaving...what he really needs to do is move on and stop posting in a game forum he really is not going to play anymore.

He is seeking external validation? Weak, weak sauce.

I think the problem may be that you were looking forward to this game since 2006. No game is ever going to live up to five years of anticipation.

I didn't even plan to buy this game until literally two days before the early start thing began. I got bored and figured, what the hell, and got the early start thing. This is the first MMO I've enjoyed in a very long time.

Edited by PibbyPib

I find it amusing that people claim they are cancelling their accounts so soon. You had to subscribe literally less than a week ago. So you subscribed to a service and literally days later realized it wasn't worth it?

And lol at metacritic user reviews. People there post their reviews about how they cancelled their accounts too, yet the dates of the reviews say 12/18 or 12/19. You didn't even need to sub, but did and literally a couple days later are all THIS IS SO BAD??

I say this with no criticism.

You guys need to learn to not get so Hyped about games, games with such a long development cycle will build unrealistic expectations. Getting hyped for so long will almost always bring disappointment in the end, no matter what they do.

As for myself, i just listened to what the devs were saying through all these years, actually listen and in the end what they gave us, was exactly what was promised, no more, no less.

I love how many post on these forums vs playing the game, I really didnt expect the fanboys to still be out in such force. ( yes i use to be one) but I guess it shows many of you are here just to be forum fan boys vs actually play this game, why would you be playing though. we all know the game isnt very good. It is good validation really. if the game were better people would be in game, not on the forums with snide pointless comments that don't actually counter any points brought up. I have not see one person explain away the massive MASSIVE amount of zones with all static mobs that don't move until attacked where maybe 3-4 mobs in an entire zone path. Its like dodging little mines as you run around to do your objectives. But seems some of you love dead worlds where mobs that see you 10 feet away just stand there, as stupid looking as the forum fanboys until you attack them. =)

Some people, myself included, want to see this game thrive.

And it will not thrive in its current state. It will do the opposite, in fact.

There is so much huge potential in this game, but it is missing a lot.

I have criticisms of the game.

You seem to think that I should then just stop playing the game, say nothing about my criticisms, and "move on". And maybe that will eventually happen, but until then, I and others, will voice our opinions on what we think would make this game as good as it can be.

It's a shame we have to fight the fanboys, when we all actually do want to see this game succeed. If you really don't think this game deserves any criticism, yes, you are a fanboy. It's a great game, but if it wants to be the next "big MMO", it needs a lot of work -- and a lot of people's complaints on the matter do have merit.

Rather than address the complaints, you can talk about "drama" and people's intentions and all that, but really, you're the one who is taking things to that personal level.

It's got to be stressful for the average MMO developer out there today. If it sticks to the trinity themepark style -- it's a WoW clone. If they decide to choose sandbox elements over themepark -- it utterly fails within the first 2 - 3 months.

The way I see it; a lot of people don't know what they want. It's quite amusing to see how many people firmly believe this MMO will tank with a launch as healthy as this one. Especially making such claims a week after release -- even after the developers promised to push out additional content very soon.

With the late news of a 'significant change' to space in this game, you'd think people would be excited. But no, people want to keep carrying on about how bad this game will fail. Maybe they're just afraid that their precious GW2 or WoW will have a difficult time due to SW:TOR's presence.

I thought the trolls were to be purged after 'subscriber only' forums were put into place. Maybe we need to wait until the free month is up -- then they'll all go away.

Edit: You know what pushes my buttons? People who think they know the ins and outs of the MMO market -- and claim they know the 'perfect' recipe for the 'ultimate' MMO.

Edited by IronSith

first i was a very big supporter of this game since 2009. I was active on these forums up to launch daily. I really wanted this game to be amazing. I pre-ordered ce and de's on day 1 of pre orders in july. So while you may not agree with my opinion it should concern you that a hard core fanboy has this opinion of the game. Here we go.

Since launch i have already canceled my account. I played to 25, tried all the pve quests up to that level and took my time listening to all the story. I tired space combat and pvp. Again, i really wanted to love this game. I am a huge star wars fan and was a big fanboy of the game to be good. I did not expect amazing, i just wanted a pretty decent mmo with fun combat mechanics and action.

My biggest issues were the world is very static and dead. I feel like i am walking, and walking, and walking and walking and walking through a cut and paste game where nothing lives, paths, moves or changes. Its all just stuck in place. You move from area to area of this cut and paste environment with fairly boring combat mechanics that get old fast. You run into some good story but then way to many cut and long cut scenes for minor quests. I love this aspect for the main story parts but to do it for everything was massive overkill.

The pvp is honestly some of the most bland and boring pvp i have ever played. From all accounts you put bad combat mechanics into a massive open area and it will be just as bland as the limited 5 objective areas illum will have.

For me the game just wasn't worth putting the effort into as it wasn't that fun. It was decent but the average fan rating of 6.1/10 you are seeing on some metric sites is accurate for me. Its just a slightly above bad game which people who love single player story will play through then quit. Most mmo players like myself who played eq and wow and other games for years probably wont make this home for long.

While you may disagree with what i have to stay, please understand i was a big fan and supporter for years of this game. I took 2 weeks off work just for its launch.

Now i have canceled my account. Ill be reading good books on my time of, playing skyirm, and hope gw2 is much better. It breaks my heart to not love or even like this game. I wish those of you who do the best. I post not to hate, i just wanted this game to be good enough to play from month to month for a limited amount of hours a week, i never expected much more then a wow clone but when swtor delivered so much less it was a large disappointment. The pure power of bioware and the star wars universe will have this game around for years to come, i am glad for that for those who love it. I just felt after 2 years of forum dedication and such a desire to just like the game i should post.

for the love of god go outside!!!!

I love how many post on these forums vs playing the game, I really didnt expect the fanboys to still be out in such force. ( yes i use to be one) but I guess it shows many of you are here just to be forum fan boys vs actually play this game, why would you be playing though. we all know the game isnt very good. It is good validation really. if the game were better people would be in game, not on the forums with snide pointless comments that don't actually counter any points brought up. I have not see one person explain away the massive MASSIVE amount of zones with all static mobs that don't move until attacked where maybe 3-4 mobs in an entire zone path. Its like dodging little mines as you run around to do your objectives. But seems some of you love dead worlds where mobs that see you 10 feet away just stand there, as stupid looking as the forum fanboys until you attack them. =)

Liking a game makes you a fanboy? Okay then. I'm a fanboy. We all know the game isn't very good? According to who? You? Because I'm pretty sure that's up the individual to decide for themselves.

Why bring up counterpoints? They've all been said before.

We who enjoy the game are sorry that it did not live up to your unrealistic expectations and we hope you find a "better" game.

Random mobs in a game doing random crap for no reason does not a good game make, sorry bro. You're like the guy who was complaining about there being no body of water more than six inches deep. What the hell is that? Find something important to complain about.

And more people are in game than on the forums. I don't know where you get the idea that it's the opposite. Forum goers are a minority in every game.

Edited by Vaegaknight