"As we get to Gamescom we will be talking a lot more about your characters' Alliance"

DarthDymond

Hey folks,

Companions...this has certainly been a hot topic on the forums since the Fallen Empire announcement on Monday. I know that you have a lot of questions about them. Everything from "where is X companion?" to "what happens to my Crew Skills?"

On the story side of those questions, Charles Boyd is working on a post to put up today or tomorrow about that. For those questions about the mechanics of what will happen in the beginning of Fallen Empire, I don't have those answers for you today. However, as we get to Gamescom, we will be talking a lot more about your characters' Alliance. That will tie very closely to Companions and should answer many of the questions you have.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

So, has there been a change to the timetable for when this info is coming? If so can we get an update on when we'll hear more?

"As we get to Gamescom" made it sound like we'd be getting some info on this new 'Alliances' system at, or in advance of, the event. But it doesn't seem like there was anything new about it at the presentation, and from the Cantina Q&A the replies seemed to be basically: "we can't go into that yet"/"more info coming later"

From Dulfy:

"Companions are being changed so you choose them based on their story aspect (i.e. who you like) rather than what they can do abilities wise. More details on this later."

"Q: With restructuring of the companions, what does it mean for crafting?

• No comment at this time. There are some big changes coming with crafting that I am not going to get into it as that is something we will announce later on. Companions play into that so you can expect some changes.

"

Edited by DarthDymond

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as we get to Gamescom, we will be talking a lot more about your characters' Alliance.

-eric

"Companions are being changed so you choose them based on their story aspect (i.e. who you like) rather than what they can do abilities wise. "

They answered. Kinda.

And answer you want is about crafting system.... about which they will talk later.

The crafting line isn't tied to your companions. The crafting lines are tied to your character.

However, I think there would be some concern that some players will select only companions that are tied to the crafting lines they use on that character. This would increase their speed on missions or increase their critical successes in crafting.

Hell, I would give it less than a month before there will be information online about which companions go best with each crafting line and what to do to ensure you get them during the expansion.

They answered. Kinda.

And answer you want is about crafting system.... about which they will talk later.

It's a bit of a stretch to get from that answer to them "talking a lot more" about the system.

I'm not saying they promised a full DevBlog (although that would be a good way to give us such info) or an exhaustive list of every companion who'll be part of the Alliance system and how to get them, but the gold post made it sound like we'd be getting at least something of an overview, not a single sentence in reply to a direct question at the Q&A.

EDIT: I actually don't care about the Crafting aspect of it very much, but when they said they'd be talking about "your characters' Alliance" its sounds like they'll go into, at least in general terms, how you build up your new 'crew' - are we grinding rep with them by doing repeatable quests on the old planets? Is it just a matter of finding them and saying "Pikkachu, I choose you!"?

Edited by DarthDymond

Is it just a matter of finding them and saying "Pikkachu, I choose you!"?

Eheheh I hope it's that one, simply for the comedy factor.

But no, for real I'd assume (assumption only people!) that it'll be something along the lines of small quest lines that let us see the 'flavor' of each character type and whether they fit 'our' character and let us choose to take them with us or not (or alternately they go screw you nub-cake I don't care for your keeling ways.)

Well I was going to say it must have been this thread posted by Charles Boyd, but it was made on the same day as Eric's post you quoted. :p

Yeah, that's the "On the story side" post Eric was talking about in his comment - he indicated they'd be following up on that with some info on "the mechanics" of it, and that's what I'm wondering about now.

Just like with SoR, if you want any real details on anything related to KotFE, you'll need to seek out alternative sources of information.

Sad and pathetic, but it is what it is...EA / Bioware just isn't going to change and suddenly become transparent and sharing with details.

Musco talks out of his backside. You should all be used to it. 'Better than cross server' is a beauty.

With just over 2 months to go before a launch of what THEY claim is their biggest expansion yet, I would be concerned at the sheer LACK of detail and information. You'd think Gamescom would be an information overload to ramp up excitement for the expansion and get old and new subs to sign up.

Compared to Blizzards announcement - which doesn't even have a release date, you'd think it was THEIR expansion due for release in October - hell they even launched a fully working detailed website!

This is just SO typical Bioware

Edited by DarthMaulUK

Their silence at Gamescom has been deafening...but typical. I'm disappointed by it, but certainly not surprised by it.
reminds me of the new and exciting "better than cross server queues" they were going to share with us.

whoops

Musco talks out of his backside. You should all be used to it. 'Better than cross server' is a beauty.

With just over 2 months to go before a launch of what THEY claim is their biggest expansion yet, I would be concerned at the sheer LACK of detail and information. You'd think Gamescom would be an information overload to ramp up excitement for the expansion and get old and new subs to sign up.

Compared to Blizzards announcement - which doesn't even have a release date, you'd think it was THEIR expansion due for release in October - hell they even launched a fully working detailed website!

This is just SO typical Bioware

the lack of information IS the information.

this whole "expansion" will just be a new short quest line and just a marketing ploy to gain and hold subs as they release it.

the lack of information IS the information.

this whole "expansion" will just be a new short quest line and just a marketing ploy to gain and hold subs as they release it.

God...that's my fear too. All the people who were so excited about the "return to story", seem to have somehow forgotten that EVERY Ops and every FP has a large story element to it...even WZs do. All they're doing with FE is removing the stuff to do AFTER the story...the repeatable stuff.

With just over 2 months to go before a launch of what THEY claim is their biggest expansion yet, I would be concerned at the sheer LACK of detail and information.

[TROLL]

The lack of info is due to the fact that there is no info. They have exhausted their resources on the completed cinematics and the hype, and just now a few devs are sitting down to do some coding. Priority will be new dyes for the cartel market and DDOSing their own servers so that the lag is so bad nobody notices that there is no content in the expansion whatsoever.

[/TROLL]

All sarcasm aside, good job, BW. People go to these events (Gamescom etc.) to learn real info, and not to be TROLLED BY YOU with ******** non-answers.

Your PR and customer service is a FIASCO.

[TROLL]

The lack of info is due to the fact that there is no info. They have exhausted their resources on the completed cinematics and the hype, and just now a few devs are sitting down to do some coding. Priority will be new dyes for the cartel market and DDOSing their own servers so that the lag is so bad nobody notices that there is no content in the expansion whatsoever.

[/TROLL]

All sarcasm aside, good job, BW. People go to these events (Gamescom etc.) to learn real info, and not to be TROLLED BY YOU with ******** non-answers.

Your PR and customer service is a FIASCO.

LOL! I especially like the DDOSing their servers part :)

I wish they'd just speak up. :p I see no reason not to just give us a list of companions who we will be able to get back, who will be able to be cross class and who will return when (what chapter).

No idea why the need for big secrets. :/ the hype will be there and will remain there as we all praise and gripe about it :)

I wish they'd just speak up. :p I see no reason not to just give us a list of companions who we will be able to get back, who will be able to be cross class and who will return when (what chapter).

No idea why the need for big secrets. :/ the hype will be there and will remain there as we all praise and gripe about it :)

They aren't talking about it because the backlash about losing companions permanently is going to be incredible. This ain't your Baldur's Gate BioWare team.

PAX Cantina - Important Update: Revised Plan | 07.27.2015, 10:22 AM

Hey folks,

We wanted to give you an update on a change of plans around our Seattle Cantina, planned to happen around PAX Prime. As we have been looking at our schedule, we feel that as we are just a few short months from Fallen Empire’s launch, it is really important that we focus our resources internally. Our goal is to deliver a AAA-quality expansion and we need to allow the team to put their focus on development priorities, to put all resources into making Knights of the Fallen Empire the best it can be. With that in mind, we have decided to cancel our on-site PAX Seattle Cantina in favor of a livestream event – this allows us to have our team participate without the necessity of traveling cross-country.

However, we know that Cantinas are often a place where players look to get time to talk with developers, get new information, and acquire some event-exclusive swag. We still want to deliver on those expectations and live up to the spirit of the Cantina event experience. So, in lieu of the Seattle Cantina, we are going to host a livestream on Wednesday, August 26th.

Here are some of the things you can expect to be included as part of the stream:

A live gameplay play-thru of a chapter from the new Digital Expansion: Knights of the Fallen Empire

The team to answer questions via chat throughout the stream

A shareable link for a 2015 Cantina Tour Pack, which includes the Prinawe Aggregate (a vehicle available exclusively via the livestream) and another random item!

Plus, a first reveal of a familiar face who will be returning to SWTOR in Knights of the Fallen Empire

I know that some of you may have been looking to book your travel or hotel stay in Seattle for the Cantina, so we wanted to get this information out as soon as possible. As of this post we will be removing Seattle from the pre-registration list to avoid any confusion. Thanks everyone!

We hope to see you on the stream next month.

-eric

Was hoping for info at Gamescon but I figured we'd have to get info on the 26th because's it's a stream

Their silence at Gamescom has been deafening...but typical. I'm disappointed by it, but certainly not surprised by it.

I'm not surprised either. but fact is now, that it has been confirmed that All of our Classes are Meaningless, along with everything we have worked hard for, with no more Class storylines because the Devs are too Few or too Lazy, or both and don't want to spend money to make a Real good game that this Game was.

I cannot even really play this game anymore, it's too depressing when i come here and other sites, and hear the terrible Reality that Everyone will have the same Stupid storyline. That their is no reason to make anymore stupid Alts because it's a Pointless chore. It's very rare that i play now at all.

The Fanbois are always saying that EA never gives Bioware enough money. But there is No Proof of that whatsoever. If EA isn't giving Bioware enough resources for this game, then all they have to do is hold a secret meeting with the Heads of Disney, and tell them that EA is defrauding them. And i'm sure Disney/Lucasfilm will have a big talk with EA.

Fact for right now is...................... That we will no longer have anymore Class stories, and also it has been Confirmed that that we All will get the same Storyline. This game had so much Promise. The only way to probably fix this is to Fire the dumbies that thought this stuff up.

Bad thing is................ Like all Fanbois are, they are still in Denial over everything.

We are also losing so much PvE and PvP content that we should be getting to. And YES PVP MATTERS TO. We have PvP servers hanging on a thread with so many Customers that have left because of No Respect to PvP'ers, along with Our PvP Servers.

They aren't talking about it because the backlash about losing companions permanently is going to be incredible. This ain't your Baldur's Gate BioWare team.

Very True, the Real Bioware is No More, otherwise we wouldn't be here in this mess.