Bioware may introduce hardware DRM for KotFE

fidothegran

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is DRM? Heh I can't recal this term...

digital rights management,

meaning according to OPs voices (which isn't the right use of DRM) . They are adding in some sort of "hardware check" to ensure that everyone has a minimum hardware specs necessary for running the game.

technically game already had DRM you must log into their servers to play, thus can not have a free standing version of the game.

however, op is using DRM incorrectly in suggesting they are adding in some sort of magical check to indicate if the player has a hardware configuration that (someone) feels is sufficient to run the game.

pay no attention to OP, he is wrong and basically delusional and is spreading misinformation for the sake of misinformation.

So not only are you a computer expert, you dabble in silicon chemistry as well?

He has a point. I'm no expert by any means, I'm in college at the moment for a computer related field but that's as far as I've gone at this point, but you don't have to be to know that this is pretty improbable. Have seen people bake computer parts in an oven, literally bake them, to fix stuff. It sounds stupid but it works because you'd have to heat them up a lot more than the 400F to do any damage while that 400F can reset the solder like they were trying to do. It still sounds stupid to me, and I wouldn't do it to anything I cared much about, but it can be done and you can take a quick trip down Google lane to confirm for yourself.

That's also assuming the board isn't in use. When that happened, the person had the board out obviously. Inside a computer or laptop the odds of burning up a component are even lower because there's a BIOS setting that you'd have to manually disable in order to even come close to burning something up. Otherwise your computer will simply shut off if it gets too hot. That's why that setting is there. You still wouldn't melt your CPU or GPU but it's to keep you from damaging other components inside the computer, like melting the solder that keeps them together for example.

It's highly, highly unlikely.

digital rights management,

meaning according to OPs voices (which isn't the right use of DRM) . They are adding in some sort of "hardware check" to ensure that everyone has a minimum hardware specs necessary for running the game.

technically game already had DRM you must log into their servers to play, thus can not have a free standing version of the game.

however, op is using DRM incorrectly in suggesting they are adding in some sort of magical check to indicate if the player has a hardware configuration that (someone) feels is sufficient to run the game.

pay no attention to OP, he is wrong and basically delusional and is spreading misinformation for the sake of misinformation.

It's DRM because it is there in order the make money, through the sales of high-end computer parts.

It's DRM because it is there in order the make money, through the sales of high-end computer parts.

da hell?

bioware is a software company...they sell software.

EA is a distribution company, they market and ship the software.

neither of those make any money from the sale of computer hardware.

DRM usually implies checks for unauthorized purchases or unauthorized use of software (hence the digital).

there is zero (none, nil, impossible) to tell if a persons computer meets any sort of required configuration.

da hell?

bioware is a software company...they sell software.

EA is a distribution company, they market and ship the software.

neither of those make any money from the sale of computer hardware.

DRM usually implies checks for unauthorized purchases or unauthorized use of software (hence the digital).

there is zero (none, nil, impossible) to tell if a persons computer meets any sort of required configuration.

They have big-business licensing deals with computer hardware manufacturers. This is why many games have an Nvidia or ATI logo when they start up.

This is why many games have an Nvidia or ATI logo when they start up.

Which is NOT the case with this game. You suck so hard at this that everything you post is self-defeating. As stated:

Poor troll, no subtlety, no style, no originality, no...well, anything really.

2/10.

Just...

do us a favor and stop posting this drivel...
Edited by Darth_Wicked

They have big-business licensing deals with computer hardware manufacturers. This is why many games have an Nvidia or ATI logo when they start up.

This has nothing to do with the topic of the thread. And the fact that you don't understand why that's the case is the reason why this thread should never have been created. You don't understand your own topic. You just made up information, and claimed it was true and didn't even know enough to properly talk about your false information.

If this was meant as a joke (at which it would fail even more...) then it belongs in Off-Topic.

I sincerely hope that the OP is sitting back and laughing at all of us who keep feeding this stupid thread just for the giggles. If he's not, he needs help.

Look at the bright side: he pays a sub for the sole purpose of trolling the boards, thus supporting the game and / or the developer in the process. :p

Edited by Darth_Wicked

True! He still needs help though!

You're right, so I will help him.

---------------------------

did you also know that with the addition of DRM they will be encrypting your hard drive so that you can no longer modify the game files? I heard that from this guy who knows someone that sells tacos in Austin around the corner from BW Austin headquarters.

Have seen people bake computer parts in an oven, literally bake them, to fix stuff. It sounds stupid but it works because you'd have to heat them up a lot more than the 400F to do any damage while that 400F can reset the solder like they were trying to do. It still sounds stupid to me, and I wouldn't do it to anything I cared much about, but it can be done and you can take a quick trip down Google lane to confirm for yourself.

This is the reason why...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflow_soldering

Not going to damage it at 400 F, that's about 205 C and they already heat the board above 215 C when they solder all those components on. :D

As far as bitcoin mining rigs catching fire... Yeah this is totally what my gaming PC looks like

http://www.buttcoinfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Bitwasher.jpg

http://3s1shj19s0di2dovmhkw15h1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/The-Superior-mod.jpg

Chevy Chase did a better job of cable management in NL Christmas Vacation. I wonder if they are trying to power all that through a 15 amp breaker on 120 VAC, gee that's a fire hazard right there.

Edited by Draqsko