New Class? Please?

I think it could go well. If people want a new class, they'll pay for it. Though, the best course of action would be unlockable advanced classes from the CM. Doesn't have to be expensive, but maybe 600CC. Or even for free, but I don't like the era of everything being free for everyone.

must be new around here?

they put a few cutscenes on the CM when RotHC was released...here is the thread and the dev post on the fall out http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6476568 lets just say it didn't go over well.

adding something as significant as a new class (non cosmetic as say a new species) to the CM would be about 1000 times worse.

adding it to the CM is never going to happen, adding them as lvl 60 only is never going to happen because the only way to get them is via CM.

we can deny it all we want, but if lvl 60 new chars is the only way we can think of adding a new class. it will never happen.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

new race is 100% different than a new class.

Race is purely cosmetic and is not necessary to experience 100% of the game. A new class is not cosmetic, now if wanted to tie to an expansion but not behind the CM that is a different issue.

Subs and players should not be required to purchase (non-cosmetic) content behind the CM. expansions that eventually go free as part of the sub are a different issue, as purchasing the expansion is akin to early access.

But no, BW should NEVER put classes and gameplay behind CM. Classes are not cosmetic.

Putting it in with a paid expansion is no different than putting it in the CM. If that gives me a Jedi and Sith who use a light saber/blaster combo with their force abilities and they're storyline tends to make them out to be grey side, I'd totally pay for the class :p

If it made them a lightsaber/blaster combo and had them be an ex-Jedi/Sith who is now a SIS/IA/SMUGGLER/PIRATE/whatever...I'd pay for it :)

and how exactly would a 'buffer" be added to an operation? you would get to tanks, 2 healers 3 dps and a what? is that person considered a DPS what happens when you get for of them and no actual dps? do you just all give up?

consider them a healer and now have to solo heal a HM operation because your other healer isn't?

you dont' actually go on any raids and do what? stand around and look pretty? What stat woudl they use? aim, cunning, willpower, strength?

easy to suggest such a thing, without actually thinking about how it will be implemented, mainly because it cant be.

what if the buffs made up for the dps or heals? active buffs that the 'buffer' has to put on the ops group constantly maybe in a rotation? what if they could use aim and cunning like HK? or what if any main stat would work for them?

seriously you couldn't think of that while you were typing? people need to open their minds a little bit

Edited by Monumenta

Steps to make this work on a budget:

1: Create a new class.

2: Make it something in-demand, like SIS Agent or Imperial Soldier.

3: Add no Advanced Classes.

4: Give it no class story.

5: Make it start at level 60.

6. Have Steve Blum voice the male versions.

7. Have Steve Blum voice the female versions.

8. Add no new gear for the class. Make it solely Cartel Market/Social Vendor/Events Adaptive Armor.

9. Make Presence its main stat, with new Presence Armorings/Barrels/Hilts/Mods/Enhancements/Augments.

10. Invite players to PTS, ignore any complaints about the above.

11. Press play!

Steps to make this work on a budget:

1: Create a new class.

2: Make it something in-demand, like SIS Agent or Imperial Soldier.

3: Add no Advanced Classes.

4: Give it no class story.

5: Make it start at level 60.

6. Have Steve Blum voice the male versions.

7. Have Steve Blum voice the female versions.

8. Add no new gear for the class. Make it solely Cartel Market/Social Vendor/Events Adaptive Armor.

9. Make Presence its main stat, with new Presence Armorings/Barrels/Hilts/Mods/Enhancements/Augments.

10. Invite players to PTS, ignore any complaints about the above.

11. Press play!

I know you are being sarcastic but I think 1-6, 8, and 9 are pretty cool ideas

also from earlier, I liked the encrypted data cubes and didnt care at all they came out of packs. I bought mine from the GTN and couldnt even claim the reward at the end cuz I was f2p at the time. I would buy a new class with CCs for sure.

Edited by Monumenta

I know you are being sarcastic but I think 1-6, 8, and 9 are pretty cool ideas

also from earlier, I liked the encrypted data cubes and didnt care at all they came out of packs. I bought mine from the GTN and couldnt even claim the reward at the end cuz I was f2p at the time. I would buy a new class with CCs for sure.

Well I've given it some thought myself, but ultimately budget issues came up. So what I wrote above is quite honestly the only way I could see it working.

Also, what's wrong with #7? :p

Well I've given it some thought myself, but ultimately budget issues came up. So what I wrote above is quite honestly the only way I could see it working.

Also, what's wrong with #7? :p

honestly it would be worth it for a new class

My suggestion for new class:

(Republic) Fallen Jedi; Dark force powers, medium armor and a spec for tank, heal, or DPS

(Empire) Sith Awoken: Light side powers .......etc.

These classes would help the players who want to have a faction cross over without putting up with a story line driven towards evil and betrayal (empire) or stuck up self righteousness (Rep)

Even just the sidequests and planetary arcs of Vanilla, Makeb and SOR would require an insane amount of voice acting, especially if the actors used previously are not available anymore.

What would preferable would be a mini-class arc that happens before starting KOTFE with a newly added class to let you familiarize with it.

We can make this easy for Bioware...

Story - No Changes

Simply add new advanced classes to each base class. Limitless in theory, with NO additional Story, voice, or content work, while adding in many new playstyles; mixing in, and adding new animations and abilities.

Every proposed 'new class' in this thread could easily fit in an existing base class.

Example: Teras Kasi fits perfectly into - Consular and Inquisitor.

The advanced class choices for Inquisitor would expand to be:

• Sorcerer
  • Assassin
  • Mauler (Double blade lightsaber and unarmed, one blade of lightsaber turns on/off.) *Darth Maul Style
  • Bonecrusher (Vibroknuckers with unarmed fighting style.)

Using the base classes as 'categories', there is almost no limit to the advanced classes that could be added. With just Consular/Inquisitor alone, and off the top of my head, Bioware could add PoleArms, Pikeman, Lore Keeper, Researcher, Diplomat, etc.

Balance - Better and Easier

Next we give Bioware an idea to stop the 'balancing nightmare', so adding the classes will be easy to balance.

Each advanced class would be balanced to two classes, one to be stronger than, and one to be weaker than. This creates a natural balancing mechanism even if there is a huge number of advanced classes. Something easier to imagine: Rock, Paper, Scissors - it is a simple triangulation that is fully balanced.

So not only can they easily add new classes and keep them balanced, it is easier than what they are doing now with trying to balance every class directly to 15 other classes.

This also will make all classes more exciting, as each class can have more power over 'some' classes, because there will also be 'some' classes it will have less power than.

(Balancing 16 classes the way they are doing it now is just insane and makes the classes feel like cookie cutter variations, which they are.)

So not only can they easily add new classes and keep them balanced, it is easier than what they are doing now with trying to balance every class directly to 15 other classes.

This also will make all classes more exciting, as each class can have more power over 'some' classes, because there will also be 'some' classes it will have less power than.

(Balancing 16 classes the way they are doing it now is just insane and makes the classes feel like cookie cutter variations, which they are.)

Its only 8 classes, they only have to manage 8. The other 8 are just copy and paste to the other faction. Thats not a steep order for a developer like BW.

But its not enough to expand the ADV class list. The reason TOR is hanging on is because its story driven experience and companion system. If you're just after mmo pvp and endgame PVE raiding there are better choices out there with larger server populations and better graphics \ engines. Continue to do well that which makes you different BW.

The two class suggestions I made could have a rich new storylines where your antihero works behind the scenes to undermine the factions fundamental principles (peace / power) with new companions.

Its only 8 classes, they only have to manage 8. The other 8 are just copy and paste to the other faction. Thats not a steep order for a developer like BW.

But its not enough to expand the ADV class list. The reason TOR is hanging on is because its story driven experience and companion system. If you're just after mmo pvp and endgame PVE raiding there are better choices out there with larger server populations and better graphics \ engines. Continue to do well that which makes you different BW.

The two class suggestions I made could have a rich new storylines where your antihero works behind the scenes to undermine the factions fundamental principles (peace / power) with new companions.

A engineer class might be cool, but like Tharan he might need a Grant... Oh and pass me the Hydro Spanner please!

As i have stated in this thread, there is a new class called the Arcanist coming. However, it will not be released with KotFE as I originally posted. It will be released with the second chapter of the new story coming in late 2016.

Along with the flying pig mounts.

I don't get why some people think new classes are needed. If it's combat mechanics you're talking about, we have 8 advance classes with 3 specs each. Is 24 not enough for you?? That's just per faction - some mirrored classes have quite different animations, for example telekinetics and lightning.

If it's another 1-50 story, you can forget it. It'll never happen and you know it. Bioware is moving in the complete opposite direction. Even at launch when the future was looking great, additional classes and class stories were probably very far down on their radar, if it was there at all.

I don't get why some people think new classes are needed. If it's combat mechanics you're talking about, we have 8 advance classes with 3 specs each. Is 24 not enough for you?? That's just per faction - some mirrored classes have quite different animations, for example telekinetics and lightning.

If it's another 1-50 story, you can forget it. It'll never happen and you know it. Bioware is moving in the complete opposite direction. Even at launch when the future was looking great, additional classes and class stories were probably very far down on their radar, if it was there at all.

I think that people are just a bit restless and are excited for this new expac... I will be very content seeing a lot of the old flashpoints becoming tacticals and I am eagerly awaiting the solo missions for battle of ilum and FE! As for anew class whether it's needed or not or even if they are remotely thinking of it, I think part of the issue of wanting another class would be from the 12x exp... Subs levelling all the classes will be wanting something else they can level I think..

I think most people are just really hoping for the same kind of "unique to class"-storytelling that we had with vanilla content.

As I have mentioned in another thread, they will probably not even think about doing it until they completely run out of ideas, but what I'd really like to see is something similar to WoW's Pandaren, meaning a new faction, offering a new class with the choice of which faction (Republic or Empire) to join after a tutorial world left to the player - no, it's not an original concept, but nonetheless one I'd like to see being introduced to SWTOR.

Either way, as long as the advertised storytelling of KotFE is any good, I am happy!

Solution: 3 advanced classes per class,

Republic:

Jedi Knight: 1. Jedi Guardian, 2. Jedi Sentinel, 3. Gray Jedi (not dark side or light side)

Jedi Consular: 1. Sage, 2. Shadow, 3. Jedi Agent (Blaster pistol wielding force user hybrid)

Republic Trooper: 1. Commando, 2. Vanguard 3. Duelist ( trooper with vibro sword and wrist blaster)

Smuggler: 1. Gunslinger 2. Scoundrel 3. Tech Expert (uses droids to deal dot damage, summons temporary droid snipers etc)

Sith:

Sith Warrior: 1.Juggernaut, 2.Marauder, 3. Imperial Knight (sith version of Gray Jedi)

Sith Inquisitor: 1. Sorcerer, 2. Assassin, 3.Sith Agent (same as Jedi Agent, think Mara Jade)

Bounty Hunter: 1. Mercenary, 2. Powertech, 3. Glory Hunter (blaster pistol and extensive wrist blade user wrist blades could be customizable, ie swords,daggers mini axes etc)

Imperial Agent: 1. Sniper, 2. Operative, 3. Interrogator (same as tech expert, uses droids and probes)

The Gray Jedi and Jedi agent (Imperial Knight and Sith Agent) may need switching places as gray jedi could get the choice of which skills to use, lightning or pebble throw etc and gain other force powers, whereas jedi and sith agents would use blaster to generate rage or focus to use force powers. Just a thought.

I think that this provides a strong base from which bioware could easily add 8 more "classes" to the game without the need for more voice/storylines.

Restricting a class to starting at level 60 and missing out on all the story content before KotFE would be insane, though.

Not really. Not looking at the reallity in-game atm.

Too many players now chose to rush to lvl60, only doing the class story, but pressing "spacebar" key all the time.

If we talk about classes like Imperial Trooper and SIS Agent, but only avaiable on CM and starting at lvl60, i'm pretty sure it would still sell plenty to cover the costs. And those would be minimum, just new voice for the content +lvl60.

The simple idea of an Imperial class using Trooper gear, and blaster cannon or rifle, or a Republic class using a sniper, etc, is better then not getting anything at all.

Is hard for us to say the exact numbers, but we all know there are plenty players who dont care/need for more individual missions lvl1=lvl50.

So, with the option to start a new char at lvl60, but then you would get 2 new class options, wouldnt you take it?

I dont plan to use the instant lvl60 option, but if it is for a new class, then yes, i would.