"Goals for Addressing Server Concerns" Update?

Darth_Wicked

Have I missed it by any chance?

Eric said this last December:

Hey folks,

At our fan event in Las Vegas, one of the things we stated is that we are working to address the concerns of things like queue times and uneven server populations and that we would provide an update before the end of the year. As you might expect we're not ready to tell you exactly what we are working on yet, but we did want to go into what our goals are for next year.

• To address issues of queue times across all types of content, both PvP and PvE.
  • To rethink how we approach “server separation.”
  • Remain sensitive to things like character identity.
  • The continued ability to define your chosen server playstyle, PvE, PvP, RP, RP-PvP.
  • We also would love to use this opportunity to enhance/create social systems. It’s a big ole’ galaxy and we want it to feel that way.

In the coming months we will be releasing more details. We appreciate your patience as we work towards these goals.

-eric

We've seen a few changes that could fall under this, like the changes to make Rated PvP more accessible, the upcoming changes to flashpoints (where 10-65 land in the same queue), the faster leveling and the cheaper server transfer.

Never did Musco mention cross-server, that's just what all players took from it. But the devs certainly worked on those things without implementing cross-server.

Once the cheap transfers end, I'm expecting some more information on what will happen to the dead servers - presumably a server merge with anyone who didn't transfer off yet losing their name or something.

Edited by Jerba

I was wondering about this too. The cheap server transfer pretty much killed 2 of 3 servers for my language, What are the plans for those "dead" servers?

I wouldn't call it a "dead server", but I've been told The Progenitor, a server where I have plenty of characters, was hit kinda hard.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Darth Wicked you are back! It`s a joy to see you post.

Hmm it`s good that this is brought back up. I honestly thing since the cancellation of Shadow Realms previous plans were thrown away or changed. I really don`t think they will adress that unfortunately.

I wouldn't call it a "dead server", but I've been told The Progenitor, a server where I have plenty of characters, was hit kinda hard.

Not 100% true, the exodus was mostly from the PvE community. But a lot of people did leave.

Have I missed it by any chance?

Eric said this last December:

Nope. He also mentioned about 'better than cross server' almost 12 months ago. And before Christmas, he announced on that announcement that it will be announced 'soon TM'. We are still waiting

Group finder and pvp pops are as bad as they have been before (GSF never happens when I am on and it's been like this for a year or so). But I am currently selling stuffz like crazy on the GTN, so there must be a lot of players with credits left. Maybe the hardheads left, I don't know. My guild is as active as it was one year ago.

I also have a char on The Red Eclipse and there is surely much, much more going on than on The Progenitor. (Also, the general chat on the Republic Fleet seems to be friendlier there. I actually enjoy spending time on the fleet there. On The Progenitor I only go to the fleet if absolutely necessary.)

It doesn't solve the problem. Why should players have to fork out because Bioware are too lazy to deal with the under lying problems?

Because 90 CC for a better server population is better than stuck on a server you don't enjoy is a sweet deal for those who would like to move but don't want to pay normal price for a transfer.