My own demented wish for KotFE, bring in Karpyshyn and Avellone as writers.

ChazDoit

I think nothing would service the story better than bringing the lead writers for KOTOR 1 and 2 to contribute to the story of KotFE.

Karpyshyn has commented he's almost done with his fantasy trilogy (if not done already) and also mentioned that he'd be interested in working again in the gaming industry if the right offer came along. Avellone is no longer with Obsidian but is still working as a freelancer as far as I know.

It seems that with the new episodic format, they are letting writers take care of whole chapters, for example Alex Freed commented that he'll be writing (already has actually) two chapters for KotFE Season 1, and it would be great to have these two veteran writers work on a chapter or two for the new expansion, I don't care if it happens for Season 2 or 3, but as long as it happens, I'll be happy.

Not that his involvement in other things would preclude involvement in writing a chapter or two, but I kind of get the impression that through working with InXile on bits of Wasteland 2, Torment, and more, as well as leaving Obsidian, he and Brian Fargo were planning something big, possibly "Van Buren". Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part, but I was certainly getting that impression from recent news articles and interviews. Edited by tmwfte

Not that his involvement in other things would preclude involvement in writing a chapter or two, but I kind of get the impression that through working with InXile on bits of Wasteland 2, Torment, and more, as well as leaving Obsidian, he and Brian Fargo were planning something big. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part, but I was certainly getting that impression from recent news articles and interviews.

inXile already has his owns writers, they like to bring Avellone in to write parts of their games, but not as lead writer. Many plot points for kotor 2 were not followed through on swtor, Avellone could come in and fill in those gaps for the fans, if Bioware would have him.

Edited by ChazDoit

inXile already has his owns writers, they like to bring Avellone in to write parts of their games, but not as lead writer.

No, I realize that, but Avellone leaving Obsidian, combined with increasing work with InXile, and the registration of the "Van Buren" trademark by a company tied to InXile, all within the same relatively short timeframe, still feels like more than just a coincidence.

Does anyone actually know what writers are working on KotFE?

(no, not saying Avellone is writing for them, but I'm curious if anyone knows who is)

Charles Boyd (writer for trooper story, lead writer for SoR) is Lead writer for KotFE, I think.

Alex Freed (Agent Story writer) has tweeted that he wrote 2 chapters for KotFE so far, so it leads me to believe they're bringing different writers from the class stories to write these chapters.

Charles Boyd (writer for trooper story, lead writer for SoR) is Lead writer for KotFE, I think.

Alex Freed (Agent Story writer) has tweeted that he wrote 2 chapters for KotFE so far, so it leads me to believe they're bringing different writers from the class stories to write these chapters.

Sounds good!

Karpyshyn was a class story writer too, wasn't he?

Sounds good!

Karpyshyn was a class story writer too, wasn't he?

He was brought in to contribute to some bits of the JK story and Maelstrom Prison and Foundry flashpoints, but he had no part on SoR as far as I know.

This totally made me happy! :D

I'm taking bets if I can tell which of them are his after I finish the new story!

Karpyshyn also does wonders with words, would like to see/hear more from him!

Come on October, get a move on! :)

So which is it?

You guys do realize that at this point in development the story has already be written?

Already written?

Right now they would be in the tweaking individual lines of dialogue phase, and the writing the chapters for February.

Or only part? Because if they're still writing for the February chapter, that's still part of this next expansion.

You guys do realize that at this point in development the story has already be written? Right now they would be in the tweaking individual lines of dialogue phase, and the writing the chapters for February.

Guys... they're planning more than one Season for KotFE

I'd actually be opposed to Karpyshyn returning. His writing has taken a downturn since around 2008 (the second Mass Effect book was the last decent thing he wrote, IMO), although I admit I haven't read his current trilogy. Revan was honestly the worst book I've ever read, though, and I hear the TOR book he wrote after that was pretty distinctly bad as well; but I don't have a personal comparison.

Maybe tie-in novels just aren't his thing anymore, maybe he just needs to get back into video game writing, I don't know. But I'm iffy about him coming in to TOR.

Edited by Rodyn

Gods, no. The only good bits of KOTOR1 I remember were written by Gaider, and Avellone's been very controversial, as Obsidian is(since they never can finish a game properly, neither KOTOR2 nor NWN2). Also, Pillars of Eternity and Tides of Numenera? Leave THAT out of my SWTOR, please.

Gods, no. The only good bits of KOTOR1 I remember were written by Gaider, and Avellone's been very controversial, as Obsidian is(since they never can finish a game properly, neither KOTOR2 nor NWN2). Also, Pillars of Eternity and Tides of Numenera? Leave THAT out of my SWTOR, please.

You realize that posts like this are a big reason why people make fun of our game and our community, right?

You realize that posts like this are a big reason why people make fun of our game and our community, right?

Did those people play the last chapter of NWN2, which was a hopeless grind, and checked out the dialogue in Pillars of Eternity, which was quite below Baldur's Gate quality(which was just - good - dialogue)?

Seriously, people are allowed to be passionate about stories they feel invested in. And making fun of this passion is being passionate, too - fine with me. (As long as we don't get mister Avellone in SWTOR, please don't let this happen, please don't let this happen!)

I'd actually be opposed to Karpyshyn returning. His writing has taken a downturn since around 2008 (the second Mass Effect book was the last decent thing he wrote, IMO), although I admit I haven't read his current trilogy. Revan was honestly the worst book I've ever read, though, and I hear the TOR book he wrote after that was pretty distinctly bad as well; but I don't have a personal comparison.

Maybe tie-in novels just aren't his thing anymore, maybe he just needs to get back into video game writing, I don't know. But I'm iffy about him coming in to TOR.

I haven't read it, I think what people found depressing is that the heroes of KOTOR 1 & 2 were defeated in that book.

Did those people play the last chapter of NWN2, which was a hopeless grind

Well, Im certainly not asking for the level designers of Obsidian to come to swtor, but Avellone is credited with writing the character of Kreia, which many people like

I did like KOTOR 2 a lot, I wouldn't be opposed to Avellone if he can manage to hide what character he's using as his mouth piece a bit better this time :p (Kreia is awesome but man, that was blatant.) But... I love KOTOR 1 but oh god, the writing has so many issues, sometimes I wonder how it's one of my favourite games and so damn enjoyable despite the many rants I've written about my many, many problems with the writing.

And the Revan novel was *awful*. Awful prose, awful characterization, awful story. The only redeeming thing was Revan and Canderous obviously having a thing for each other, but no amount of waxing about Canderous's heavily muscled arms could save the rest of that mess, and I say that as someone who has actually grown to really like SWTOR Revan after SoR. (No, I will never not be sore over "Yes, I can totally meditate away the effects of months of physical and years of psychological torture while constantly drugged into being unable to focus which apparently also has no physical consequences like addiction whatsoever". Don't put stuff like this into your story if you aren't prepared to deal with the fallout and want to keep your main character having the incredible personality of a potato.) ....Well, I guess the novel does have a pretty cover. At least that.

I did like KOTOR 2 a lot, I wouldn't be opposed to Avellone if he can manage to hide what character he's using as his mouth piece a bit better this time :p (Kreia is awesome but man, that was blatant.)

So, what's up with Kreia? can you elaborate?

She's an awesome character, but like I said, she petty blatantly came across as Avellone's mouthpiece criticizing the whole black and white morality thing Star Wars often has. I don't actually really disagree with that criticism, but it was just a tad too noticeable for my taste (though tbh in the scenario where he does write for KotFE, if he were to do that again it wouldn't bother me nearly as much as stuff like KOTOR 1 never truly dealing with the brainwashing thing with any kind of nuance).

She's an awesome character, but like I said, she petty blatantly came across as Avellone's mouthpiece criticizing the whole black and white morality thing Star Wars often has. I don't actually really disagree with that criticism, but it was just a tad too noticeable for my taste (though tbh in the scenario where he does write for KotFE, if he were to do that again it wouldn't bother me nearly as much as stuff like KOTOR 1 never truly dealing with the brainwashing thing with any kind of nuance).

Karpyshyn maybe writing something for Bioware is not something crazy to hope for since he's former Bioware, said he wouldn't have a problem coming back to gaming at some point, and that if he comes back it will most likely be to Bioware.

Avellone is much more unlikely, since he has no ties to Bioware as far as I know, and his style of writing is different than KOTOR 1 and SWTOR, but if they let him write maybe a few chapters eventually it might bring nuance to KotFE.

Karpyshyn maybe writing something for Bioware is not something crazy to hope for since he's former Bioware, said he wouldn't have a problem coming back to gaming at some point, and that if he comes back it will most likely be to Bioware.

Avellone is much more unlikely, since he has no ties to Bioware as far as I know, and his style of writing is different than KOTOR 1 and SWTOR, but if they let him write maybe a few chapters eventually it might bring nuance to KotFE.

...?

I never said it'd be crazy to hope for Karpyshyn coming back, I just hope he doesn't cause I found the Revan novel terrible and don't think the writing in KOTOR 1 was always good.

I'd be down with Avellone though, I think, unlikely as it is. Even with my criticism of him earlier (honestly, it was mostly joking anyway, hence the :p) some more nuance would probably do the story good.