Thank you Bioware for making this game solo-player friendly.

Majestic_Jazz

I don't even wanna bother talking about GSF here, despite it being the sole reason why I play the game. [...]

Ahhhh..... ok. Now i see where you're coming from. Ok.

I don't do starfighter stuff - never did like any form of PvP, i tend to freeze up then get killed way way too much, but from an "outside" perspective, GSF is well overdue for some attention - and more than just "some". I don't know anything of that content - is there different maps or areas? With different objectives? Some of the maps used for the regular solo space missions seem like they could be a blast in space PvP - places to hide/lurk (gassy or cloudy areas with mines), places to evade (asteroid fields). The atmosphere of a planet - with ground objectives to destroy - could be intersting too, particularly if there very rugged topography involved: high peaks to fly around, deep canyons zip through and pop out of...

It's a shame for those that like it, that not a whole lot - if anything at all - has been done for GSF since it was introduced.

I won't lie: i really like what's been announced for KotFE, that most of the stuff (if not all) will be soloable, but that doesn't mean that people like me necessarily thumb our noses at those that like more group stuff. I do, however stick my tongue out at those that say group stuff should be mandatory for everyone - those people can go fly a kite.

As for those that just want more group content without stomping out what''s been set for soloable stuff... i know that when ~i~ say that ops are coming in the future, i don't mean it as a rebuttle, but more as "there's hope, yet, hang in there"... just trying bring a bright spot in your clouds.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhhh..... ok. Now i see where you're coming from. Ok.

I don't do starfighter stuff - never did like any form of PvP, i tend to freeze up then get killed way way too much, but from an "outside" perspective, GSF is well overdue for some attention

If it has become the failed mini-game so many think it has (including me), then it's not due any attention. How many subscribers do you think the game is losing (or not gaining) because GSF is lame?

Welcome back! :D :D

Yes, I am also glad they made this game solo player friendly. In my eyes just because it's an mmorpg, devs shouldn't force grouping to get stuff done. It should be a choice. an mmorpg to me is playing with lots of people, it doesn't mean forced content.

I love they are going back to solo choice stuff in KotFE. It's great! Welcome back :D

I too am a 'beta' / 'launch' player who left due to the slow pace of the Class Storylines without remedial and constant xp farming.

The new 12x xp that allows me to just focus on Class Storylines has me back and has me hooked. Currently playing to classes, switching between their stories, and really enjoying myself!!

Yes, thank you, BioWare! I'm a purely solo gamer and for almost 2 years now I've been subscribing to this game only for a month here and there, whenever double XP came up. Thanks to 12x XP and the promise of new story content I've now been a sub for going on 4 months, brought many characters from 1st level through Ziost and am very much looking forward to what comes next. This is EXACTLY what I've wanted from this game since the first day I started playing it.

But...but..

wait

You just said you lost your interest to Vanilla SW:TOR, despite it's glorious 600 hour long pile of class stories. Did you lose interest and the feeling this game has glorious things in store for you -before- playing through every single last one of them, or after playing through every single one of them? Implication in-between the lines is that you felt a little disappointment over it?

I think that as a ground rule of sorts, if you absolutely and unconditionally don't love every single talking head filled second of them class storylines of Vanilla, there is a pretty good reason to wonder if KOTFE is something one should be super hyped about. No matter how awesome it is to wait for a game. No matter how awesome those 4 mins of CGI were.

What on earth do you think KOTFE is going to be? KOTOR3 with 100 hour story and a dozen new planets to visit?

I think I can answer this.

The reason why people such as him and I got bored with SWTOR in early 2012 months after launch, despite the game having a focus on story, was that the story was over and the promise of future stories was not clear. See, SWTOR was marketed as a story MMO and that is what drew a lot of people in, the story bits. So after spending hundreds of hours playing our class stories and reaching level 50, we lost interest because at level 50 there was no more story to enjoy, just endless Ops and PvP which was fun to an extent....but it wasn't story and Bioware was not really giving us any reason to continue subbing in hopes of more story.

Yes, Makeb came out and SoR came out which all had story, but again, once the story was complete.....it turned into another grind of Ops, Dailies, and PvP.....again....not what the game was marketed on which was a story-driven MMO. So again, the story-minded players left.

Now what makes KotFE different is that Bioware is going all in on story this time around. In fact, it can be clear to say that the entire year of 2016 would be dedicated to SWTOR's story. When I complete the 9 chapters in October, I know more follow-on story content will continue in January.....then February....then March.....then April....then May.....then July etc. Then after that, Bioware has said that KotFE is just the start of a new direction that Bioware is taking with SWTOR. Meaning that in 2017 we could have another story expansion with a new set of chapters. This alone will keep playings like me subbed because we know that more story is on the horizon. Back in March 2012, I could not sit here with confidence and tell you that more story was on the horizon because the general opinion then was that SWTOR's story endeavor ended at level 50 and from here on out it will be all stereotypical MMO bits with perhaps a few new quest lines here and there (like Makeb) but nothing as in depth as the 1-50 class stories. Hell, with KotFE Bioware is claiming that we are the sole focus of this story and the choices we make will cause different outcomes, really making it feel like a spiritual successor to the KOTOR games. So I guess you can say that Knights of the Fallen Empire is what us KOTOR hungry vets REALLY wanted in SWTOR but never got and now we are finally getting that.

A little late to the party been away from the keyboard for a couple of days. But +1 to the OP I have returned a month and a half ago (was also one of the 'founders') and find that the soloability (yes I made up a word) of this game is now a major draw for me.

It is nice to have the option to play in a group join an op, team up for heroics, etc., but sometimes (for me due to my limited playing time frame each night) it is awesome to be able to do it all myself.

In them internet forum wars, ridicule usually begins when good arguments end.

Oh, the delicious irony coming from a poster who attacks with ridicule and disdain.

To be clear - I am a debate coach. I know a thing or two about argument. As you correctly pointed out, my post was ridicule, and not argument. I never claimed it was argument. Let me be clear - I'm ridiculing you because your disdain for the game goes beyond criticism into outright mocking of anyone who disagrees with you. Most importantly, if you have two synapses of gray matter to rub together, you also know that no amount of forum rage, even if it was every single active forum user complaining loudly and in unison, would change the development plans that are likely already set in stone. Quite simply, you're not worth arguing with.

BioWare - I love the "talking heads"! LOVE THEM! You have my sub without immediate release of ops, even though I enjoy them. I'm looking forward to the new xpac, and I thank you for catering to people of a like mind to myself!

Edited by TheSeventhJedi

Oh, the delicious irony coming from a poster who attacks with ridicule and disdain.

Exactly. It's why, TheSeventhJedi, I suggest : don't engage.

Besides, development cycle being what it is, "talking heads" is happening for the next year, period.

Right or wrong, the poster is not getting what s/he wants for the next year. As a friend of mine says, for that poster, the lack of anything but talking heads for a year :

"That's a sad unfortunate fact of life..."

Edited by DalrisThane

The real irony is he's saying "I want people playing this game so I have people to play with," and then goes on a crusade to discourage people about the game. Seems to me, that's not a great way to keep people playing.

"Man, this new expansion sounds like it sucks, I better not keep subbing!" Thanks GSF!

So I guess you can say that Knights of the Fallen Empire is what us KOTOR hungry vets REALLY wanted in SWTOR but never got and now we are finally getting that.

The problem is, most KOTOR vets don't want KOTFE, they want this:

schmidtcapela

Jun 22, 2015

@DaEvilGenius @schmidtcapela

Allow me to keep multiple saves (and use them to see each and every branch of the story with a single character), and to mod the game, and we can start talking.

Otherwise, sorry but no. If I'm to be as restricted as the MMO makes me, I would rather watch a Let's Play on Youtube.

When I said it has all the disadvantages of a MMO, I meant it. No pausing, no loading back an earlier save, no modding, no way to play it when I don't have an Internet connection, and so on. I'm not much interested in a Bioware-style game that restricts me like that. The same way I love every offline game in the Elder Scrolls series, I'm still playing Skyrim on and off, but I haven't purchased ESO and I doubt I ever will. It's a kind of game where I really don't want to have the typical restrictions laden on online-only games.

That has been the biggest reasons why since launch most KOTOR fans just won't play SWTOR. It has a monthly sub, requires an online connection, and cannot be modded. Nothing in this expansion will change those facts and gain that audience.

The problem is, most KOTOR vets don't want KOTFE, they want this:

That has been the biggest reasons why since launch most KOTOR fans just won't play SWTOR. It has a monthly sub, requires an online connection, and cannot be modded. Nothing in this expansion will change those facts and gain that audience.

True, not all KOTOR fans fully bought into SWTOR but also....many has including me. I have come to accept that this experience will not be the same as an experience if this were a true offline single player RPG like KOTOR was. I understand that I will be limited to 1 party member venturing out with me instead of 2. I understand that. However, I am still a fan of SWTOR cause it takes place in the same "timeframe" as KOTOR and continues many of the topics that were brought up in KOTOR and KOTOR 2, mainly about Revan. Even with the Revan arch concluding (I still have yet to play through it but now that I am back, I will :) ), the spirit of KOTOR will continue as KotFE looks to put more of an emphasis on cinematic storytelling as well as consequences to our choices.

So to me, SWTOR and to an extent, KotFE is more of a spiritual successor to KOTOR/KOTOR 2 rather than a true sequel.

I am fine with that.

Well, technically, if all you are interested in at all is the story, there is really no reason to sub at all. Buy Makeb and SoR, perhaps, which will conveniently give you preferred status, but the subscription will gain you pretty much nothing.

While I certainly can't speak for everyone, I feel like saying that MOST KOTOR fans refuse to play SWTOR is off. I know that I am a big fan of both, and if in-game chat is any indication, so are a lot of other SWTOR players. But yeah, if you are looking for save/reload type of games only, you really shouldn't even be looking at MMOs at all.

True, not all KOTOR fans fully bought into SWTOR but also....many has including me. I have come to accept that this experience will not be the same as an experience if this were a true offline single player RPG like KOTOR was. I understand that I will be limited to 1 party member venturing out with me instead of 2. I understand that. However, I am still a fan of SWTOR cause it takes place in the same "timeframe" as KOTOR and continues many of the topics that were brought up in KOTOR and KOTOR 2, mainly about Revan. Even with the Revan arch concluding (I still have yet to play through it but now that I am back, I will :) ), the spirit of KOTOR will continue as KotFE looks to put more of an emphasis on cinematic storytelling as well as consequences to our choices.

So to me, SWTOR and to an extent, KotFE is more of a spiritual successor to KOTOR/KOTOR 2 rather than a true sequel.

I am fine with that.

That's the thing, anyone that would accept it has already come over and played, perhaps not full time but at least subbed on and off through the expansions. It might work for you and others that currently play it, but for the vast majority of KOTOR players it won't work because it can't be modded, played through multiple saves, offline, etc. It's time we stop chasing that pink elephant and accept SWTOR for what it is and not some version of KOTOR which it will never be to the vast majority of the world. Those players will never come here.

Well, technically, if all you are interested in at all is the story, there is really no reason to sub at all. Buy Makeb and SoR, perhaps, which will conveniently give you preferred status, but the subscription will gain you pretty much nothing.

While I certainly can't speak for everyone, I feel like saying that MOST KOTOR fans refuse to play SWTOR is off. I know that I am a big fan of both, and if in-game chat is any indication, so are a lot of other SWTOR players. But yeah, if you are looking for save/reload type of games only, you really shouldn't even be looking at MMOs at all.

1) I sub because I want to financially support Bioware/EA in order to continue to game SWTOR content.

2) Just because I find the story as the main draw for me, that does not mean that I do not also like the MMO bits. Like I said in my OP and said in a reply, story is what I am here for, but that doesn't mean that I won't engage in Pvp Warzones, GSF warzones, and OPS. A student goes to HS to get a diploma and head to college, but that doesn't mean that he or she cannot participate in sports, clubs, and other school organizations/activities.

That's the thing, anyone that would accept it has already come over and played, perhaps not full time but at least subbed on and off through the expansions. It might work for you and others that currently play it, but for the vast majority of KOTOR players it won't work because it can't be modded, played through multiple saves, offline, etc. It's time we stop chasing that pink elephant and accept SWTOR for what it is and not some version of KOTOR which it will never be to the vast majority of the world. Those players will never come here.

Like I said, I accepted that SWTOR will never be KOTOR and I accepted that this isn't a "real" single player RPG but rather a larger MMO that just happens to have a solo-player focus. However, that doesn't mean that I as well as many other KOTOR, Bioware, and Star Wars fans cannot see the value that SWTOR has, especially now with KotFE. There is a reason why I purchased SWTOR and not Star Wars Galaxies.

I'm glad to see all the solo friendly stuff also. I especially like the solo versions of the flashpoints - hopefully the ones that aren't yet getting solo versions will get them eventually. It's something I've wanted since day one, so that's awesome.

I'm glad to see all the solo friendly stuff also. I especially like the solo versions of the flashpoints - hopefully the ones that aren't yet getting solo versions will get them eventually. It's something I've wanted since day one, so that's awesome.

Flashpoints

For Flashpoints, we have made quite a few changes to give you more options on what to play, and how to play them. For starters, all of the Flashpoints which are important to the core story have had a Solo Mode added, similar to what we did for the Forged Alliances Flashpoints.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/operations-and-flashpoints-fallen-empire

So at least some more are going that way come Oct. Not sure which they consider important to the core story though.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/operations-and-flashpoints-fallen-empire

So at least some more are going that way come Oct. Not sure which they consider important to the core story though.

Um, they give a full list in the same link you just posted::p

Solo Mode Flashpoints

These Flashpoints are repeatable, and made to be played solo or with a Companion. Your character will be adjusted down to the appropriate level so that you are experiencing the Flashpoint at the level and difficulty that is intended.

• Black Talon
  • Esseles
  • Boarding Party
  • Taral V
  • The Foundry
  • Maelstrom Prison
  • Battle of Ilum
  • The False Emperor
  • Assault on Tython
  • Korriban Incursion
  • Manaan Research Facility
  • Legacy of the Rakata
  • Blood Hunt
  • Battle of Rishi

Edited by DarthDymond

When I said it has all the disadvantages of a MMO, I meant it. No pausing, no loading back an earlier save, no modding, no way to play it when I don't have an Internet connection, and so on. I'm not much interested in a Bioware-style game that restricts me like that.

Interesting. I find that mods always add a lot to a game, so I do miss the ability for those. And I HATE when I make a conversation choice that I regret right at the end, too late to escape out of the conversation. Sometimes you can reset the quest and do it over, but not always, especially with companion conversations.

I don't mind at all having to be online or paying a subscription. Those just don't bother me in the slightest.

But BY FAR, the biggest disadvantage of being an MMO - which I was surprised not to find in this person's list - is having other players running around. Even aside from having them steal kills our objectives or whatever, just them being there at all… Is bad. If Bioware really wants to increase story immersion, to me the number one priority should be, private instances of EVERYTHING.

Though for all I know, that may not be at all technically feasible.

Solo Mode Flashpoints

These Flashpoints are repeatable, and made to be played solo or with a Companion. Your character will be adjusted down to the appropriate level so that you are experiencing the Flashpoint at the level and difficulty that is intended.

• Black Talon
  • Esseles
  • Boarding Party
  • Taral V
  • The Foundry
  • Maelstrom Prison
  • Battle of Ilum
  • The False Emperor
  • Assault on Tython
  • Korriban Incursion
  • Manaan Research Facility
  • Legacy of the Rakata
  • Blood Hunt
  • Battle of Rishi

ha, well there you go lol. thanks man.

Yeah, I think it's great that they went all the way back to all the flashpoints from the launch of the game to make solo versions.

I'd also love solo versions of the ones that aren't vital to the core story, or what ever… Hopefully someday.

Yeah, I think it's great that they went all the way back to all the flashpoints from the launch of the game to make solo versions.

I'd also love solo versions of the ones that aren't vital to the core story, or what ever… Hopefully someday.

Solo modes for the final Macrobinocular and Seeker Droid missions would sure be nice, too.