Marauder/Sentinel Set Bonus Discussion

EricMusco

The old school bonuses (charge gives us damage) were more "fun" in my opinion.

I don't think that having a set bonus that goes "Using ability X will make your next Ability A, B, or C, an auto crit, with a 1 minute rate limit" are as fun.

For PvP, how about spec specific set bonuses? How about you bring us a Smash set that sets smash damage to what it used to be (scaled up for health of course, so it would hit about as hard as Raging Burst does now)?

How about an annihilation specific set, that further improves that tree by giving X% of health every time a dot does damage, or increases the radius of smash to 8 or 10 meters?

I'm not saying that I want those changes specifically... (well, maybe the smash one. I want to be feared again dangit!), but something along those lines, you know? PvP gear is very easy to acquire now, and it would keep people playing to try out different sets. Making these changes PvP specific on PvP gear would mean that you could customize a spec to tailor it more to PvP through gearing, without destroying PvE balance.

Edited by Aluvi

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a difference between opinion and facts. Annihilation isn't competitive right now in pve ...

Only facts say otherwise. Go check Parsely on HM Ops. The only thing that changed is that there's way less Sents/Maras even doing HM OPs, but those who do and now how to play the class past 3.0. are absolutely competitive.

Its rotation is clunky (some say overly complicated but its not complicated, it just doesnt work). Its one of the lowest parsing specs in the game right now, its resource starved, you have to clip ravage for the optimal rotation of keeping your dots up

Again facts: It's one of the highest parsing specs (parsely again), if you DO NOT clip ravage in favour of keeping your dots up.

Clunky: check. Resource starved: check.

TLDR: Spec works and is competitive if you work really hard to make it work. It has simply become very difficult, but also very rewarding. Maybe that actually suits the class better from a lore point of view than it used to...

Only facts say otherwise. Go check Parsely on HM Ops. The only thing that changed is that there's way less Sents/Maras even doing HM OPs, but those who do and now how to play the class past 3.0. are absolutely competitive.

Again facts: It's one of the highest parsing specs (parsely again), if you DO NOT clip ravage in favour of keeping your dots up.

Clunky: check. Resource starved: check.

TLDR: Spec works and is competitive if you work really hard to make it work. It has simply become very difficult, but also very rewarding. Maybe that actually suits the class better from a lore point of view than it used to...

I'll be honest with you, eventually I've come to enjoy the difficulty of playing sentinel on this tier since is quite challenging .

How many are actually making progression with their Sents/Maras? And how many are geared by clearing content with other classes and then beating the bosses in their already fully equipped Sentinels?

And when its limited to the best of the best. Thats not an indication that a class is competitive, its the opposite.

How many are actually making progression with their Sents/Maras? And how many are geared by clearing content with other classes and then beating the bosses in their already fully equipped Sentinels?

I'm only aware of Nerevar who rerolled and uses his Sent as an alt in HM. As far as I know the rest of the Maras/Sents ranked top in HM ops actually do main them.

And when its limited to the best of the best. Thats not an indication that a class is competitive, its the opposite.

That's an interesting statement and it raises a few questions: Can you really say a class is "competitive" by itself or is it the players that make a class competitive? This imo actually directly leads to the question of difficulty, as you said: How hard is it to be competitive with a class?

A class may be designed in a way it's actually impossible to be competitive with in HM ops. Dot Sage would be an example for that at the moment. Whereas playing it in 2.10. (and also playing Watchman in 2.10.) was a pretty easy way to be a competitive raider. That has definitely changed, but it's not impossible to be competitive as a Sent/Mara, it's just harder than it used to be. I wouldn't say the class itself isn't competitive in that case, whereas I would agree if you said that about Dot Sages.

And I suspect that the steep lurning curve Sent/Mara players face these days may well be intentional. Devs had stated such in various class threads, at least for Watchman/Anni, which I think is the primary raiding spec these days (except you're Hayete or Don Quijote).

Wether it's good game design for a Star Wars game to have lesser and lesser players who actually use their light sabers for combat is something else (we know Consulars don't count because "stat stick" ;-)

2-Piece: Battering Assault or Zealous Strike increases damage dealt by 2% for 15 seconds. Cannot occur more than once every 30 of seconds.

4-Piece: Reduces the cooldown of Frenzy or Valorous Call by 15 seconds. Additionally, activating Berserk or Zen increases all damage dealt by 3% for 10 seconds.

6-Piece: Increase Damage dealt by Ravage or Master strike by 8%

best of the old 4pc with the best of the new 6....works for me

2-Piece: Battering Assault or Zealous Strike increases damage dealt by 2% for 15 seconds. Cannot occur more than once every 30 of seconds.

4-Piece: Reduces the cooldown of Frenzy or Valorous Call by 15 seconds. Additionally, activating Berserk or Zen increases all damage dealt by 3% for 10 seconds.

6-Piece: Increase Damage dealt by Ravage or Master strike by 8%

best of the old 4pc with the best of the new 6....works for me

Old four piece is 4% for 15 seconds, but otherwise that's what I'd like

Checked them both, stats are 99% identical.

*** Mara Assassin

ST 4272 4471

PW 971 782

CR 530 530

SR 471 480

AL 0 0

AQ 693 693

FP 2706 2708

DPs 3k 4k

it's definitely no problem with accuracy, since I did test it with another enh to exceed 100% and it was no difference.

What I see very different from other's stats is that Mara has no alacrity, but then the Assassin does not have any either and power is under 1k while many state that they have 1.7-1.9k.

Also note that on Mara I have 4 192 set items while on the Assassin only 2. Everything else is 198/192 on both except 1 relic that is 186.

Anyone have any suggestions ?

Edited by Overmind
Update

• 1 month later...
Are you there Eric? or have you ignored this thread, just like EVERY OTHER THREAD FOR MARAUDERS AND SENTINELS? Seriously listen to players, don't **** with them, claiming you will listen to their opinions then blatantly ignoring everything said in response to your questions.

^

However on a more serious note:

Valorous Call Cd reduction should be 30 not 15. 15 seems like a waste. If you think 30 is OP, then get rid of that crappy SB. 15s red. Is useless in most if not all raid fights. The point is to use the ability more. If you run the numbers with a 30s cd red I can promise you will see an increase in dps, but not so much so to cause a problem. On the other hand, In a raid scenario it may provide no dps increase. Why? The utility of Pred/Trans. So overall the point is to provide more access to being a utility player to the raid via Pred/Trans to get around faster to a location, or to provide group heals. The dps increase from a 15 to 30s cd like I said will be good but not so much so to create any problems of your 5% threshold.

A good 6p would be something with Dispatch or a spec related bonus, i.e. Anni -> dots, combat -> alacrity, concentration -> damage of force scream/blade storm increase.

Or another 6p option would be some type of defensive proc. I.e. When hit, have x chance to gain x granting a small shield reducing incoming damage by x. This would help with survivabiliry ppl complain about not having. I don't personally think it's needed, but it's a thought to point or lead to somewhere else

Edited by LegionAlpha

Another good idea that would be awesome for all specs and help fix watchmen's rotation.

6pc- reduce master strike channeling time and cooldown (while also speeding up the global cooldown while channeling it, although i don't know if its needed) by 20~25%.

For annihilation, if master strike hits (or third hit) applied/resetted force melt duration, that would be awesome, even more awesome if force melt was removed from the game with this xD

Edited by James_Mcturney

• 4 weeks later...
Another good idea that would be awesome for all specs and help fix watchmen's rotation.

6pc- reduce master strike channeling time and cooldown (while also speeding up the global cooldown while channeling it, although i don't know if its needed) by 20~25%.

For annihilation, if master strike hits (or third hit) applied/resetted force melt duration, that would be awesome, even more awesome if force melt was removed from the game with this xD

Run alacrity to reduce the channel time and reduce cds.

As for a Set piece bonus. I think it might be nice for there to be a 2 piece, 4 piece, 6 piece, and a 7th piece. Give a great bonus for having that 7th piece. Can be done for all classes. Give a reward to those people that put that time and effort into getting all 7 pieces. I.E. Alacrity bonus of 3%? Maybe. Or possibly a speed bonus? Or possibly Making Force charge 0-30 range. Would like to know what everyone else thinks.

• 1 year later...
why wouldnt you at least give smash/sweep its former glory? I promise you it wont have the same affect it did way back because the Ht points have doubled at the very least change smash/sweep names to puff/poof. Why would you give fury/focus a dot? I was really excited to hear this spec got a buff right up until i read the patch notes. I am sorry I'M KINDA ticked about this 1 buff. I do more damage in carnage even though you nerfed it than I do in smash which was buffed. /sigh smash has dot /sigh still do better in carnage /sigh why? please forgive me i am bummed about this

why wouldnt you at least give smash/sweep its former glory? I promise you it wont have the same affect it did way back because the Ht points have doubled at the very least change smash/sweep names to puff/poof. Why would you give fury/focus a dot? I was really excited to hear this spec got a buff right up until i read the patch notes. I am sorry I'M KINDA ticked about this 1 buff. I do more damage in carnage even though you nerfed it than I do in smash which was buffed. /sigh smash has dot /sigh still do better in carnage /sigh why? please forgive me i am bummed about this

Smash actually outperforms Carnage in sustained dps now.