Deception and Hatred Assassin/Infiltration and Serenity Shadow Set Bonus Discussion

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey everyone,

We wanted to take a moment to reach out to the community to collect ideas on set bonuses. We are looking for opinions on current and previous set bonuses as well as concepts for future. This thread will cover Deception and Hatred Assassins/Infiltration and Serenity Shadows.

Note: Our intent is to have set bonuses not increase DPS by more than 5%. Please keep this in mind when posting your suggestions.

Current Level 60 Set Bonuses (for reference)

• 2-Piece: Ball Lightning and Leeching Strike or Psychokinetic Blast and Serenity Strike increase damage dealt by 2% for 15 seconds. Cannot occur more than once every 30 of seconds.
  • 4-Piece: Reduces the cooldown of Recklessness or Force Potency by 15 seconds.
  • 6-Piece: After activating Voltaic Slash and Thrash or Clairvoyant Strike and Double Strike your next Assassinate and Maul or Spinning Strike and Shadow Strike will critically hit. This effect can only occur once every minute.

Cheers, all!

The SWTOR Combat Team

I like the current Set bonus.

Is there a way to give each proc from the set bonus a different icon? sometimes in PVP it's quite hard to keep track of things when you're knee deep in combat

I like the current Set bonus.

Is there a way to give each proc from the set bonus a different icon? sometimes in PVP it's quite hard to keep track of things when you're knee deep in combat

I actually rather like that idea. I know infiltration (only spec I've played) has a lot of procs but if the outline were a different color for spec procs vs gear procs, that would be nice.

The third bonus is normally the most difficult to have, but one assassinate which have a critically hit every minute is, I think, useless. Maybe we could have a bonus better...

It's actually a pretty nice DPS boosts. It's also glorious in PvP, by ensuring that one of your hardest hitting moves will crit, if you set it up properly.

I think the set bonuses are pretty good, assuming the other DPS set bonuses don't change. The 4 piece bonus definitely helps Deception much more than it does Hatred, but I'm kinda okay with that, because it makes Deception's rotation flow really nicely. The 6 piece, like I said, is pretty gorgeous.

I think current set bonuses are fine, though I think the 4-piece benefits Infiltration/Deception way more than it does Serenity/Hatred. I personally don't mind considering I like infil better anyway, but for the sake of balance it might be something to look into to make the 4-piece a little more benficial to Hatred/Serenityt as well

Great in pvp, without a doubt, but in pve, not so good, I think. For example, if I have 20% of crit' rating and if I fight a boss during 4/5 minutes, in theory, there is at least one assassinate that could have been critical without the 6 pieces bonus. Tell me if I'm wrong, but explain me why in that case :)

Great in pvp, without a doubt, but in pve, not so good, I think. For example, if I have 20% of crit' rating and if I fight a boss during 4/5 minutes, in theory, there is at least one assassinate that could have been critical without the 6 pieces bonus. Tell me if I'm wrong, but explain me why in that case :)

Well, you are wrong, so I'm going to explain why.

When you have an auto-crit, it adds extra critical hits to how many you would have had. Let's say you have a 3 minute fight where you never hit execute phase (simpler this way). You get 12 Assassinates. Without the set bonus, if you have a 20% (very, very low) critical chance (not rating!), on average, you would get 2 (rounded) critical hits. With the auto-crit once a minute, you'd get more. You would get 20% of the 8 regular attacks to critical, rounded down (unfairly, but to make the point) to 1 crit, and then you would get your 4 auto-crits. You would end up with 5 critical hits, 3 more than without the set bonus. Of course, this talks averages, but is the best way to do it.

Now yes, you are right, you could have gotten a natural critical hit where you had the auto-crit. However, since each attack has its own independent critical hit chance, it doesn't matter whether or not the auto-crit would have been a natural critical hit or not, because that has no effect on the crit chance of any of your other moves. Not trying to be a jerk, but I highly suggest you, and anyone else interested in MMOs, to take at least a basic statistics course, so you can better understand how some of the mechanics work in game.

Not trying to be a jerk, but I highly suggest you, and anyone else interested in MMOs, to take at least a basic statistics course, so you can better understand how some of the mechanics work in game.

Statistic is what killed me at school ^^

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the set bonus as is, and even more since Aelanis explained why the 6 pc is so nice. But since we're at it, talking about this 6 pc. Doesn't it become less attractive the more crit chance you have ? Or Am I that bad at statistic ?

Statistic is what killed me at school ^^

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the set bonus as is, and even more since Aelanis explained why the 6 pc is so nice. But since we're at it, talking about this 6 pc. Doesn't it become less attractive the more crit chance you have ? Or Am I that bad at statistic ?

It does become slightly worse as you get more and more critical rating, but it's not a huge effect.

Imo current setbonuses are ok, works better with deception than hatered as already mentioned. One thing bugs me thou in 6pc setbonus and hatered. I have seen autocrit proc fall of many times due assassinate not proccing when auto crit window is up.

For this i'd like to see some change, maybe prolong autocrit window or something.

With deception havent seen this because duplicity procs that often its almost impossible to miss autocrit maul.

deception 6 set bonus is meh at best reason is maul crit is not as good as you think when that abitlity can his from 6k to 14k with RNG. Sure you crit maul but a crit on a 6k turn into 8k big boost in dps. be better if it was a % increase of the maul hit in damage then a guarantee crit hit. Say a 3% increase in maul damage as the 6 set bonus all the other set bonus are fine

deception 6 set bonus is meh at best reason is maul crit is not as good as you think when that abitlity can his from 6k to 14k with RNG. Sure you crit maul but a crit on a 6k turn into 8k big boost in dps. be better if it was a % increase of the maul hit in damage then a guarantee crit hit. Say a 3% increase in maul damage as the 6 set bonus all the other set bonus are fine

I don't know how you do that, but my maul crit everywhere between 9k to 12k. 6k is the base damage for me.

If your mauls are critting that low then you are severely under geared.

What good would changing it to Maul damage do for Serenity/Hatred? And what good is 3% in one shot? 3% is only about 180 more damage at a 6k non crit hit. Why bother. The crit chance is miles better.

And on another note, how are you getting such a wide varying critical hit? I'm getting 11k to 14k per crit on average depending on which proc is up at the time, and I only have non optimized 192 gear. Non crit would be between 5.5k and 7k average.

Currently I think the set bonus is good. The 4 piece IMO favors Deception/Infiltration more since Serenity/Hatred has less skill that benefit from it. The 6 piece I think favors Serenity/Hatred more since Infiltration/Deception has a higher crit chance. It makes the overall bonuses even out pretty well. I really don't think I'd change it since the DPS have to share sets.

Imo current setbonuses are ok, works better with deception than hatered as already mentioned. One thing bugs me thou in 6pc setbonus and hatered. I have seen autocrit proc fall of many times due assassinate not proccing when auto crit window is up.

For this i'd like to see some change, maybe prolong autocrit window or something.

With deception havent seen this because duplicity procs that often its almost impossible to miss autocrit maul.

That's astronomically unlikely. The buff lasts 30 seconds. Assassinate can trigger once every 15. Let's say that you somehow triggered the set bonus right after you used your Assassinate proc, which you did right after you got it. There's 13.5 seconds gone without you being able to consume your set bonus. But you still have 16.5 seconds to trigger and activate Assassinate before you lose the buff. Shave off a global for a conservative estimate and that's still 15 seconds. Your dots tick on average about 1.44 times per second. Each one has a 30% chance to trigger Bloodletting. You literally have a 99.956% chance of getting to use that set bonus in the worst case scenario. I've yet to ever see it fail.

My critical Mauls, with a 192 Main Hand (I haven't gotten gear for my Assassin since way before Monolith :( ) range from a smidge under 10k to 13k on Revan. My PT's Energy Burst ranges from 11.5k to 17k on a critical hit. Maul's got nothing on it in the "RNG dependent" category. A 3% increase would be a harsh damage loss on our 6 piece, as the difference on an automatic critical hit is SO much larger than that 3% increase. It would have to be a roughly 20% increase to match the sustained boost we see with the auto-crit, and that would be awful for balancing burst in PvP.

I'd like to see the 6 piece be changed to the old Dread Master 4 Piece, the added crit chance of Thrash and Voltaic Slash. This would greatly increase sustained with the sacrifice of a burst every 1 min. Some classes benefit from the 6-piece a lot more than us.

Nope, that would be a damage loss. Shall I math it out for you? :p

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.