HUTTBALL is usually lopsided.

PaulusMaulus

I play Republic side with the best PVP augmented gear commendations can buy. Having played Huttball countless times, here is my observation. Huttball is mostly lopsided by a mile. Usually one side has a real good tanky ball runner or their ability to pull ball carriers or just pass the ball is wicked good and scoring 6 points in 2 mins is easy. The team that wins is usually the team that if focused on the ball and not solo fighting all over the arena. There are the few occasions where Huttball goes down to the wire and even when the score is even it becomes a race against time as to which side can get possession of the ball when the clock finally runs out for the win. Those are fun fights but rarely happen. Either my side scores 6 in a row or the other side does it with few matches being even.

It's not like this is any different in any non-arena match type. If your team is suffering from a terminal case of tunnel vision, that enemy is going to plant the bomb onto the door. If your guard at west is too busy losing a duel to shout WEST in chat, the enemies are going to capture the western turret.

If anything, Huttball is the most merciful of these match types because a pair of super enemy ball carriers can end your suffering in 3 minutes or less.

Edited by HaoZhao

It's not like this is any different in any non-arena match type. If your team is suffering from a terminal case of tunnel vision, that enemy is going to plant the bomb onto the door. If your guard at west is too busy losing a duel to shout WEST in chat, the enemies are going to capture the western turret.

If anything, Huttball is the most merciful of these match types because a pair of super enemy ball carriers can end your suffering in 3 minutes or less.

I disagree completely :)

I find that HB is, as OP suggest, often very one-sided. Stomp or be stomped, whereas most other WZs holds the potential to turn the tide. And it's often very obvious within the first minute of so how the match is going to unfold.

Most of my huttball matches are usually low scoring games....usually because only 2-3 people on each team is actually trying to score while everyone else deathmatches. Still hands down the best map in pvp.

The better team wins in Huttball. Is there a purpose behind this post that I'm missing?

Hear, hear . . .

If anything Huttball, in a rather fast and true way, exposes the limitation of the participants ability to in that moment adapt, organize and strategize, and, of course, optimize your class for a TEAM effort OR if you win, you're ability to under the given circumstances maximize all that to get a win . . .

It's quite simple really, but as most things in life, simple isn't the easiest to accomplish!

Still hands down the best map in pvp.

Hear, hear!

I'm still disappointed it shares the pop with queshball -- booooo! Separate them please.

edit: someone above also said hear, hear... ... ... ... awkward... :p

Edited by Monterone

Hear, hear!

I'm still disappointed it shares the pop with queshball -- booooo! Separate them please.

edit: someone above also said hear, hear... ... ... ... awkward... :p

Ya I don't like that either. Huttball rarely pops. I think I see it once a week whereas I get hypergate 10 times a day.....BW seems to think there is nothing wrong with their random map selection but I think thats a load of crap.

Huttball has always catered to a few classes and yet is dominated by idiots.

How many times have we all seen a warrior or knight holding the ball in the pit by the goal line and a ranged defender gets on the edge to pew pew. Only now to become the anchor for said ball handler to leap on and get an easy score.

Same can be said for the last fire pit. How many defenders end up on the wrong end of it only to give the leaper easy access to the goal line?

Then of course you have the grapples and burst run and rolls. And lets not forget the enemy stealthier who just hangs out at the enemy goal line waiting for a ball handler to get within throwing distance.

To be honest, unless you have stealth, grapple, leap, or burst run you really have no place in Huttball. All you can do is go to mid and do your ranged pew pew. Because without those skills you suck as a ball handler. And if you are stupid enough to get in front of the ball handler, the odds just went into their favor for scoring.

To be honest, once a ball handler (with his defenders) get past you and has reached the final round of obstacles, you are better off breaking off and letting them score while you rush to the mid to regain control of the ball. Because if they regain it, odds are they will just daisy chain the score because they now have people spread out throughout the opposing side of the field.

How many times have we all seen a warrior or knight holding the ball in the pit by the goal line and a ranged defender gets on the edge to pew pew. Only now to become the anchor for said ball handler to leap on and get an easy score.

Same can be said for the last fire pit. How many defenders end up on the wrong end of it only to give the leaper easy access to the goal line?

Then of course you have the grapples and burst run and rolls. And lets not forget the enemy stealthier who just hangs out at the enemy goal line waiting for a ball handler to get within throwing distance.

To be honest, unless you have stealth, grapple, leap, or burst run you really have no place in Huttball. All you can do is go to mid and do your ranged pew pew. Because without those skills you suck as a ball handler. And if you are stupid enough to get in front of the ball handler, the odds just went into their favor for scoring.

To be honest, once a ball handler (with his defenders) get past you and has reached the final round of obstacles, you are better off breaking off and letting them score while you rush to the mid to regain control of the ball. Because if they regain it, odds are they will just daisy chain the score because they now have people spread out throughout the opposing side of the field.

There is more to huttball than just ball handling. If you understood that you would know why huttball is such a good map and why EVERY class is viable and has a role in the map.

Sent mara has leap still we are **** carriers because we die way too easily (also juggs can have much shorter CD on leap) :D

I still think the best thing they could do for huttball would be to make them first to 3 instead of 6 and up the intensity

OR have another game running left & right across the field of play at the same time! but only 1 ball.

And gibs. - definitely with the gibs.

But seriously, unless there are a few lucky breaks, the best team always wins. As it should be. A century of ' balancing ' won't stop a well co-ordinated team with a plan A and backup strategy.

Edited by Storm-Cutter

I disagree completely :)

I find that HB is, as OP suggest, often very one-sided. Stomp or be stomped, whereas most other WZs holds the potential to turn the tide. And it's often very obvious within the first minute of so how the match is going to unfold.

nope. 80-90% of regs are clearly dominated by one team or another. the only map exception is Vstar, which still adheres to the same principles of dominant team usually wins, but there are more screw-ups that lead to quick door caps. also, the first two doors are pretty easy to hold.

I have to laugh at anyone saying HB is the most lopsided when, in fact, HB is the ONLY map(s) in which a clearly weaker team can win. as evidence, I offer you a kickball team defeating a picked team of the best guild on server. yes. that happened in the pit. no. that would never happen in any other map in the game.

HB is more dependent on team comp than any other map. that's the only thing you're seeing here. reg comps are rng. having carriers and heals while the other team lacks one or the other is going to make things look really bad in the pit. but as I said, it's the only map on which a weaker team can defeat a clearly stronger one.

Huttball, while it benefits from certain classes, is also the most "strategic" map there is in the PvP game. I say that because most PUGs do not care about executing a strategy. When I PUG (always), I explain some basic strategies at the beginning before it starts. When I do that, we usually (75%) win, regardless of our team composition.

But, those basic strategies can be a bit counter-intuitive. Should you always try to kill/stop the enemy ball carrier? Should you always accompany your ball carrier to the endzone? See, if you answered "YES" to those questions, you'd probably end up losing the game. But look at most PUGs, and that's what they've been trained to do.

There is more to huttball than just ball handling. If you understood that you would know why huttball is such a good map and why EVERY class is viable and has a role in the map.

Ball to huttball than ball handling?

Not really.

The only time it benefits killing a player is if that player has the ball or your team controls it and has someone with leap. Otherwise, getting killed does nothing but put you on the wrong side of their ball handler or if you kill someone putting them on the wrong side of yours.

What happens too many times is that your team will control mid from your team's side. This does nothing to help control the ball. All it does is potentially clear the mid playing field.

If you want to control the ball, you have to control mid from the opposing team's side. So at least you can play a factor in the ball movement as well as keep the area secured. If you don't have any of those skills I listed above, your sole job is to live long enough to get the ball in the hands of someone who can carry it better. Die, and your job is to just go back to mid and do it all over again.

But what do non ball handler classes do in huttball? They stay on their side of mid 90% of the time and randomly shoot at whoever on the opposing team has the least amount of life. No strategy. No skill. Just pew pew.

Ball to huttball than ball handling?

Not really.

The only time it benefits killing a player is if that player has the ball or your team controls it and has someone with leap. Otherwise, getting killed does nothing but put you on the wrong side of their ball handler or if you kill someone putting them on the wrong side of yours.

What happens too many times is that your team will control mid from your team's side. This does nothing to help control the ball. All it does is potentially clear the mid playing field.

If you want to control the ball, you have to control mid from the opposing team's side. So at least you can play a factor in the ball movement as well as keep the area secured. If you don't have any of those skills I listed above, your sole job is to live long enough to get the ball in the hands of someone who can carry it better. Die, and your job is to just go back to mid and do it all over again.

But what do non ball handler classes do in huttball? They stay on their side of mid 90% of the time and randomly shoot at whoever on the opposing team has the least amount of life. No strategy. No skill. Just pew pew.

You just proved my point that you really don't understand how to play this map.

To be honest, unless you have stealth, grapple, leap, or burst run you really have no place in Huttball.

Gotta disagree with this part ^. Odd games aside, like running mult. scores with a GS because the other team is that awful, every class has the potential to shine and drastically influence outcomes in HB.

Edited by Joesixxpack

nope. 80-90% of regs are clearly dominated by one team or another. the only map exception is Vstar, which still adheres to the same principles of dominant team usually wins, but there are more screw-ups that lead to quick door caps. also, the first two doors are pretty easy to hold.

I have to laugh at anyone saying HB is the most lopsided when, in fact, HB is the ONLY map(s) in which a clearly weaker team can win. as evidence, I offer you a kickball team defeating a picked team of the best guild on server. yes. that happened in the pit. no. that would never happen in any other map in the game.

HB is more dependent on team comp than any other map. that's the only thing you're seeing here. reg comps are rng. having carriers and heals while the other team lacks one or the other is going to make things look really bad in the pit. but as I said, it's the only map on which a weaker team can defeat a clearly stronger one.

Do I find Huttball potentially more frustrating than basically any other warzone? Yes. Why? Because when you are down 2-0 then most of the time you are going to lose, but you still have to sit through the rest of the match. Or quit. I don't care which team is supposedly stronger or weaker. That isn't my point at all.

Huttball simply requires a much higher level of competence than any other warzone, and when you solely PUG as I do, the reliance on your team mates becomes too great. Don't get me wrong, HB can be great fun but there is no gray area hence stomp or be stomped.

Do I find Huttball potentially more frustrating than basically any other warzone? Yes. Why? Because when you are down 2-0 then most of the time you are going to lose, but you still have to sit through the rest of the match. Or quit. I don't care which team is supposedly stronger or weaker. That isn't my point at all.

Huttball simply requires a much higher level of competence than any other warzone, and when you solely PUG as I do, the reliance on your team mates becomes too great. Don't get me wrong, HB can be great fun but there is no gray area hence stomp or be stomped.

I've had plenty of matches where we are down 2-3 points and still manage to come back and win. People need to stop giving up right away. Actually, please give up right away and leave, you'll usually be replaced by someone who's good. I actually had a VS I backfilled yesterday that was at the second doors on the first round. We ended up winning.

I have more close matches in the pit (and quesh, which I hate) than any other WZ. the least competitive are the arenas, ,followed by AHG and then CW. and with the latter, it doesn't matter how badly you're getting stomped, it's going to last a while whereas HBs can be over in like 3 minutes. I get that HB is more frustrating. I think you're having one of those "perception problems" BW is always talking about though. emotional memory and all....

Huttball and NC are literally the only warzones where you can be down huge and still come back without something dumb like a three cap. When you are down big early, stop chasing the ball carrier and get control of mid. The reason you are losing is because your whole team is trying to chase someone down and the other team is just standing there waiting to pick up the ball after they score. Give up the goal, get the ball yourself and turn the tide.