This unbelievably stupid Rakghoul plague

cjakubow

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah these moans again, you can almost taste the anger of the entitled.

Entitled child : Give us more varied content!

Game Developer : Here, try this event that means you have to do things differently

Entitled child : No, now I can't do exactly the same thing I did yesterday, how can you be so stupid!

To anyone playing who thinks this plague event is bad, you must have missed the real version. At the end of the Burning Crusade expansion of Warcraft, Blizzard introduced an event that I still consider to be the best attempt to show a storyline in any MMO. It was a plague, there was no warning, no explanation, just these odd crates appearing all over the game with green fumes rising from them. Soon the npcs around them were turning into zombies, and attacking anything nearby.

At first, it was nothing, they were low level zombies, the npc guards in any area would react and deal with them, and players could help if they wanted. And they could turn too, if you let yourself be hit and infected, you eventually became a zombie, and everything went hostile. Playing as a paladin I would cure the diseased, hunt the undead, it was great.

But as time passed, the zombies got stronger. I finally fell when a pack suddenly wasn't a bunch of simple mobs, I didnt pay attention, and a pack of strongs tore me apart. So I joined in and attacked the locals until I was defeated. It was great, it totally changed the game for a few days, it made the dull wait for the new expansion different for a while.

It got pulled early because of moans like this. People screamed because they couldnt do the dailies because the npcs were dead, that they couldnt farm the exact same content today that they had been complaining about being bored of last week. Since then, it seems no game company has dared risk something that made such a change. It was only going to be a few days, but no, moaners couldnt even enjoy a short period of difference, play something daft and pointless for a while instead of the oh so important matter of grinding content that would be obsolete in a fortnight. So the most fun event I've found in any MMO died an early death.

And people wonder why theres very little innovation in games any more...

Edited by BlackflameSeven

So I have not played this game for a long time because we all know how terrible it is.

So you left the game because it's terrible, but then you come back, play the terrible game again, and then complain about how terrible it is.

Yes, I see. You're that kid who put his hand on the hot stove, got burned, then complained that the obviously turned on stove is hot, and then put the hand back onto the hot surface again, got burned again, and then complained again.

Can I observe you in your natural habitat? You sound like a fascinating specimen for a study.

In my entire life of playing video games I have never seen anything quite so stupid. .

LOL, it has been a long time since I played WOW, but I remember areas where you had to drink beer and after a few you started puking and puking and puking. LOL, the WOW developers also had a thing with body functions and loved outhouses. I remember a quest where your character had to go into an outhouse at which point you heard the grossest sounds coming out of it.

I am not a big fan of the Rakghoul plague event (to each their own) and also don't find much humor in characters running around and puking, but it seems to be something that game devs feel is important game content, so I live with it. A lot of players have also come to their point that they do not have to be on fleet and take care of everything in their strongholds where they are not surrounded with puking exploding characters.

Perhaps in the new expansion Varactyls will start taking dumps on fleet and you have to buy boot cleaner from the fleet vendor. Who knows?

Ah these moans again, you can almost taste the anger of the entitled.

Entitled child : Give us more varied content!

Game Developer : Here, try this event that means you have to do things differently

Entitled child : No, now I can't do exactly the same thing I did yesterday, how can you be so stupid!

To anyone playing who thinks this plague event is bad, you must have missed the real version. At the end of the Burning Crusade expansion of Warcraft, Blizzard introduced an event that I still consider to be the best attempt to show a storyline in any MMO. It was a plague, there was no warning, no explanation, just these odd crates appearing all over the game with green fumes rising from them. Soon the npcs around them were turning into zombies, and attacking anything nearby.

At first, it was nothing, they were low level zombies, the npc guards in any area would react and deal with them, and players could help if they wanted. And they could turn too, if you let yourself be hit and infected, you eventually became a zombie, and everything went hostile. Playing as a paladin I would cure the diseased, hunt the undead, it was great.

But as time passed, the zombies got stronger. I finally fell when a pack suddenly wasn't a bunch of simple mobs, I didnt pay attention, and a pack of strongs tore me apart. So I joined in and attacked the locals until I was defeated. It was great, it totally changed the game for a few days, it made the dull wait for the new expansion different for a while.

It got pulled early because of moans like this. People screamed because they couldnt do the dailies because the npcs were dead, that they couldnt farm the exact same content today that they had been complaining about being bored of last week. Since then, it seems no game company has dared risk something that made such a change. It was only going to be a few days, but no, moaners couldnt even enjoy a short period of difference, play something daft and pointless for a while instead of the oh so important matter of grinding content that would be obsolete in a fortnight. So the most fun event I've found in any MMO died an early death.

And people wonder why theres very little innovation in games any more...

err... that plague was horrible. forget doing dailies, you couldn't do ANYTHING BUT "participate" in that event

now THAT event was a griefer paradise, because there was no place safe from it, at all.

so yes, rak plague is a breeze compared to the Blizzard's pre-expansion event and an example of how to DO things while Blizz is an example of how NOT to do things.

that was the event that almost got me to quit WoW and both SO and I have preordered next expansion.. in collectors edition version already. it was fun when you could counter it. it stopped being fun when you couldn't even log into the game on ANY character without instantly being turned into a zombie.

I was actualy worried when Bioware first ran the event... but thankfully my worries were put to rest very quickly. which is why people complaining about being infected in THIS event is so sad to me.

Doesn't everyone who's not a control freak on crack, with no sense of humor?

All of the events are pretty good, with the exception of Kingpin (lol gambling) and the Gree event.

Though I think the Gree event I only hate because I don't have a 60 Pub char yet to abuse whichever faction is holding control of the center area.

LOL, it has been a long time since I played WOW, but I remember areas where you had to drink beer and after a few you started puking and puking and puking. LOL, the WOW developers also had a thing with body functions and loved outhouses. I remember a quest where your character had to go into an outhouse at which point you heard the grossest sounds coming out of it.

I am not a big fan of the Rakghoul plague event (to each their own) and also don't find much humor in characters running around and puking, but it seems to be something that game devs feel is important game content, so I live with it. A lot of players have also come to their point that they do not have to be on fleet and take care of everything in their strongholds where they are not surrounded with puking exploding characters.

Perhaps in the new expansion Varactyls will start taking dumps on fleet and you have to buy boot cleaner from the fleet vendor. Who knows?

The outhouse in Grizzly Hills. That was funny.