Everyone's favorite topic - SGR!

NorthernYahoo

So, I know there has been much ado about the fact that Theron Shan might not or will not be in the next expansion. Now, surely Bioware/EA will not commit the unforgiveable blunder of omitting male gay romance options (if there are romance/flirt options in the next addition), certainly not now that in 2015, society (well the all-important American market anyhoo) is solidly moving away from homophobia. Because leaving Lana for the lesbian part would and omitting Theron would indeed be very homophobic AND sexist.

I understand that some people get very angry when they are presented with the choice of flirting with another man. I’ve seen it happen with SoR (Theron). Some people cannot entertain the very notion that homosexuality can exist in the world (I mean there isn’t any flirting unless you actively choose the option, which is already an improvement from possible unsolicited flirts in real life!)

So you wouldn’t be making the same mistake you made at launch and betray your loyal male gaymers, Bioware.

Fool me once…

(or unless someone has information to the contrary, please share it)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I know there has been much ado about the fact that Theron Shan might not or will not be in the next expansion. Now, surely Bioware/EA will not commit the unforgiveable blunder of omitting male gay romance options (if there are romance/flirt options in the next addition), certainly not now that in 2015, society (well the all-important American market anyhoo) is solidly moving away from homophobia. Because leaving Lana for the lesbian part would and omitting Theron would indeed be very homophobic AND sexist.

I understand that some people get very angry when they are presented with the choice of flirting with another man. I’ve seen it happen with SoR (Theron). Some people cannot entertain the very notion that homosexuality can exist in the world (I mean there isn’t any flirting unless you actively choose the option, which is already an improvement from possible unsolicited flirts in real life!)

So you wouldn’t be making the same mistake you made at launch and betray your loyal male gaymers, Bioware.

Fool me once…

A game must not be forced to include every option just for the sake of inclusion. While I understand the importance of the availability of such options, sometimes it is okay if it is not included and it does not constitute a homophobic or sexist attitude on the part of the developers.

Edited by znihilist

If you played the Mass Effect series, youd realize Bioware likes to screw with people regarding npc & mainchar romances... to trollish proportions.

Thane

Jacob

End of 3 where your LI flies off with Joker on the Normandy and leaves you on wasteland Earth... :p ( Even if they were with you on earth at the end, WTH Garrus!)

Edited by XiamaraSimi

SoR pretty much made it clear that your relationship (I have only seen Lana's version) ended and you both went on. There is a very real possibility that the Lana companion won't even be open for romance.

A game must not be forced to include every option just for the sake of inclusion. While I understand the importance of the availability of such options, sometimes it is okay if it is not included and it does not constitute a homophobic or sexist attitude on the part of the developers.

In the specific case of this game, at this point in its development, if they choose to leave lesbian options but omit gay male ones, then we are beyond the artistic choices. You can pretend that it's an innocent creative decision, but some of us are smarter than that. There is an army of marketing majors scrutinizing each one of these choices.

SoR pretty much made it clear that your relationship (I have only seen Lana's version) ended and you both went on. There is a very real possibility that the Lana companion won't even be open for romance.

That's fine with me. No romance or all romance.

In the specific case of this game, at this point in its development, if they choose to leave lesbian options but omit gay male ones, then we are beyond the artistic choices. You can pretend that it's an innocent creative decision, but some of us are smarter than that. There is an army of marketing majors scrutinizing each one of these choices.

After SoR, seriously ? I mean if they are ditching both options out aggressively, I would put my tin foil hat. But there is an assumption being made that just because Theron is not a companion then male-male romance is out.

Anyhow, you can not make an assumption that all decisions are somehow malicious in nature, if they decide to go one way with story or not. If this was any other game company it would be something we can entertain. But BW ? Seriously and again after SoR ?

I'm sure Bioware will include both males and females that will be either heterosexual only, lesbian only, gay only, OR bisexual only. They KNOW we like the option to have options when it comes to getting some booty or not.

So far, we know Cytharat was completely gay. Lamda was bisexual. Lana is bisexual. And Theron is bisexual.

Maybe not every single companion in the entire game will swing both ways, cause dude, in real life not everyone swings both ways. I'm heterosexual in real life myself.

My point is: Bioware included same sex relationships in their previous titled games, they'll include them here.

Maybe Theron dies in some heroic sacrifice, in some cool, tragic way. Some actual sacrifice would make for some decent story and get the republic out of my orderly imperial hair.

Removing a character for the sake of drama isn't homophobic or sexist. Can you imagine the Kotaku articles though? "MMORPG SWTOR kills off npc Theron Shan in their latest expansion, lawsuits against this blatant hate speech are pending."

Get over yourself op.

My theory is that if they do kill off Theron, there will be another player-sexual male in the expansion. The odds of them writing another great guy flirt seems low though. It will annoy me to no end if Lana remains a romance option but they foist a new man on us. History counts :(

1. It isn't "Everyone's favorite topic". It might be YOUR favorite topic, but it certainly isn't MY favorite topic.

2. Lana being part of the expansion and Theran not being part of the expansion does NOT equate to a reduction in male-male SGR options.

My theory is that if they do kill off Theron, there will be another player-sexual male in the expansion. The odds of them writing another great guy flirt seems low though. It will annoy me to no end if Lana remains a romance option but they foist a new man on us. History counts :(

Leaping 20 or so years into the future ... Lana isn't going to be the catch she is today. I wouldn't expect old-head Lana to be romance-able.

I have an idea, they can time-warp Kreia in to see if folks complain about not being able to romance her.

You know society is probably doomed when the "equality" of gender specific bisexual opportunities in a video game is actually a "thing" worth discussing in a forum.

You know society IS WITHOUT A DOUBT doomed when a developer says "there is no place for it" in a game and then adds it later because A WHOPPING 5% of the US population might find it's absence offensive. OMG SUBSCRIPTION APOCALYPSE.

1. It isn't "Everyone's favorite topic". It might be YOUR favorite topic, but it certainly isn't MY favorite topic.

Yeah, agreed.

I have absolute no issues with BioWare including SGR for the folks who want it, but personally, for a damned video game, it isn't even in my top 100 concerns, never mind a "favorite topic."

Leaping 20 or so years into the future ... Lana isn't going to be the catch she is today. I wouldn't expect old-head Lana to be romance-able.

I don't know about 20 years, she doesn't look too different in the new image of her.

I have an idea, they can time-warp Kreia in to see if folks complain about not being able to romance her.

They already did that in the SW story. It looks like she's only interested in romancing Vitiate :(

I have a feeling we'll finally get the same juicy fade-to-black cutscenes with same gendered companions as we've gotten with hetero ones!

Hmm my Jedi has romanced Kira and Lana so can I get a fade to black involving both...

All in the name of equality of course if we are covering same sex stuff we need to cover swingers and 3 somes.

;)

All in the name of equality of course if we are covering same sex stuff we need to cover swingers and 3 somes.;)

Hmmmm. Good point. I lived that lifestyle for almost 15 years in my first marriage (its end had zero to do with the lifestyle). Guess I should start a petition to BioWare to cover that as well. After all, fair is fair when one group wants to play the demographic equality card.

Maybe Theron dies in some heroic sacrifice, in some cool, tragic way. Some actual sacrifice would make for some decent story and get the republic out of my orderly imperial hair.

Removing a character for the sake of drama isn't homophobic or sexist. Can you imagine the Kotaku articles though? "MMORPG SWTOR kills off npc Theron Shan in their latest expansion, lawsuits against this blatant hate speech are pending."

Get over yourself op.

You're making assumptions about what I said.

I don't want them to remove a male same-sex romance option and leave a female one and/or heterosexual one in place, nothing more, nothing less, which is a distinct possibility from what little information we have so far. They can remove all romance, but if there is some in the next expansion, I want there to be those three options.

And yes, if that doesn't happen, it is homophobic (heterosexual romances available) or homophobic AND sexist (lesbian and hetero romances available). This is where we're at in 2015.

What can I say, someone has to remind corporations of the consequences of pissing off part of their consumer base for marketing purposes!

As for the title, of course same-gender romance isn't everyone's favorite topic. On the contrary, it's a topic that's difficult to approach and discuss without getting... aggravated. So here's to not getting the joke! Cheers!

Edited by NorthernYahoo

That's fine with me. No romance or all romance.

That's ridiculous.

Reasonable romance, not forced romance. If the story doesn't fit in it, it doesn't need to be there. There's no need to have such a... victimized attitude, considering you're not being persecuted. Besides, Theron night being a companion doesn't mean there won't be another male companion.

BioWare, of all companies, is not going to be the group omitting gay romances because it makes them feel icky.

You're making assumptions about what I said.

I don't want them to remove a male same-sex romance option and leave a female one and/or heterosexual one in place, nothing more, nothing less, which is a distinct possibility from what little information we have so far. They can remove all romance, but if there is some in the next expansion, I want there to be those three options.

And yes, if that doesn't happen, it is homophobic (heterosexual romances available) or homophobic AND sexist (lesbian and hetero romances available). This is where we're at in 2015.

What can I say, someone has to remind corporations of the consequences of pissing off part of their consumer base for marketing purposes!

As for the title, of course same-gender romance isn't everyone's favorite topic. On the contrary, it's a topic that's difficult to approach and discuss without getting... aggravated. So here's to not getting the joke! Cheers!

How is it homophobic or sexist if they choose not to add SGR? It just means that it wasn't on their list of top priorities for the expansion so better luck next time.

You kinda have to wonder in these discussions if the game romance is people's only form of "intimate interaction.":rak_02:

Fool me once…

Man, outrage culture is tiring and annoying, you're making a big deal out of pure rumors and speculations, in my opinion we're going to be seeing A LOT more SGR now that LucasArts is controlled by Disney, so you'll get what you want, even if Theron is not in the expansion Im sure there will be other M/M romance options.

Bioware has been very gay friendly and has been for years, so let's give credit where it's due and let's not pretend that they are regressive because that couldn't be further from the truth.