Bioware, please don't keep secrets. We Don't want an NGE

Conundrum-NSA

Many people here still remember the imfamous NGE from Star Wars Galaxies. I'm sure most of those changes sounded good on paper, but players hated them and it accelerated the games death.

Where I'm going is, please be upfront with what changes are happening and how they will be handled, things like specifics on how old content is changing and will level 60+ players bea able to access pre-KotFE planets.

Please don't wait until beta or too close to release to give this info, if you wait until then, if people hate it, it's too late to change anything.

This isn't a "DOOM" post, I'm hoping to prevent "DOOM" posts later.

Also, I know I won't get an @Bioware reply, but hopefully someone will read it and think about it.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many people here still remember the imfamous NGE from Star Wars Galaxies. I'm sure most of those changes sounded good on paper, but players hated them and it accelerated the games death.

Where I'm going is, please be upfront with what changes are happening and how they will be handled, things like specifics on how old content is changing and will level 60+ players bea able to access pre-KotFE planets.

Please don't wait until beta or too close to release to give this info, if you wait until then, if people hate it, it's too late to change anything.

Also, I know I won't get an @Bioware reply, but hopefully someone will read it and think about it.

We're on a Hype Train, you know. And the fuel for the Hype Train is information. So, they're not going to unload all the information all at once. It's going to be a paced thing, right up into launch for maximum HYPE.

You can expect a good bit to be released by the July Cantina event in Cali, though.

nothing is changing all that much...people who DONT purchase instant level 60 will still level the same way and just have a more streamlined quest path (fewer side quests for instance). but otherwise it will be the same. strongholds, factions, guilds will all still be the same.

tl;dr things will be pretty much the same the day after 4.0 as it was before 4.0

I don't know about an NGE, this game engine being as crappy as it is. But this is their chance to rework the whole thing and do it right. However, given what they have already told us, including posts today, they are not fixing or doing what really is necessary. Nor do they have the time NOW to change things, they have ~4 months, at this point they better be in the final phases of development work and polishing...LOLOL, sorry, it's funny because they always seem to be working on primary content up until the end, instead of polishing.

And does NGE really need to be brought up for every change in the game? I know I know, what am I thinking, of course it does.

Maybe because it's a valid comparison?

Either way, I see the Bioware Defense Force is currently in full force now on the forums.

The NGE would basically be if they had everyone pay for this expansion (The Obi Wan planet thing, can't remember the name) then just after we get in it out the money playing the new stories, they then announce they are gutting the game and getting rid of all stories and combat, and gear will be worthless and we all will just have a bad FPS where you all do the same DPS in first person mode regardless of weapon and armor is all the same.

Maybe because it's a valid comparison?

Either way, I see the Bioware Defense Force is currently in full force now on the forums.

You need to calm down. It's silly to demand information sooner than they're ready to release it. Paced release of information is par for course for this sort of thing. That's not defending anything, that's simply stating how MMOs work.

You need to calm down. It's silly to demand information sooner than they're ready to release it. Paced release of information is par for course for this sort of thing. That's not defending anything, that's simply stating how MMOs work.

Who "demanded" anything?

I asked, hell in the title I even said "please".

Also, yes the BDF is real, the people who pounce on anyone who says or asks anything other than how great everything is or will be.

I'm not attacking the game, but history has shown that game devs don't always learn from history.

You'd have to be crazy to think a company would show all of its cards for a release like this. Dropping bits and pieces here and there is part of their overall strategy.

That being said...let's suppose they did tell us everything upfront. Like right now. And YOU came along and said 'I don't like it, change it'. Do you honestly think they would?!

Really? Tell me what you know, that isn't conjecture or vagueries?

Regardless of what you think of what's been said, it's far more than was ever communicated about the NGE before it landed.

Again, terrible comparison.

You'd have to be crazy to think a company would show all of its cards for a release like this. Dropping bits and pieces here and there is part of their overall strategy.

That being said...let's suppose they did tell us everything upfront. Like right now. And YOU came along and said 'I don't like it, change it'. Do you honestly think they would?!

I'm not talking about Story, I'm talking about clarifying on things that are making people nervous on the forums. It's very important to get input on mechanics changes. Also, remember for every good surprise you think you are saving by supporting the devs not saying much, you may be saving an equally horrific surprise from coming to light. Bioware isn't infallible, just look to the ending of Mass Effect 3.

Also, hypothitically if they reveal something and there is a huge amount of hate they have time to work on changing it, even if that were to mean a delay to release. Much easier to do when in development mode than once it's pushed to live.

Regardless of what you think of what's been said, it's far more than was ever communicated about the NGE before it landed.

Again, terrible comparison.

I didn't say it wasn't, but I noticed you didn't actually answer the question.

Right now, all they have released are vaguaries that sound good.

But if prior to the NGE Sony had said "we've got an update coming that streamlines combat and makes certain classes more balanced and fun to play" I'm sure people would have been cheering. But what actually dropped was concentrated failure.

You think they could actually make major changes to the expansion at this point?

And does NGE really need to be brought up for every change in the game? I know I know, what am I thinking, of course it does.

Only by those who were foolish enough to either rage quit or jump on the band wagon.

Aside from a few things at the need of its life the NGE was actually good for SWG and this is someone who played pre and post CU.

Also this isnt SOE we will be told of changes we always are.

I didn't say it wasn't, but I noticed you didn't actually answer the question.

Right now, all they have released are vaguaries that sound good.

But if prior to the NGE Sony had said "we've got an update coming that streamlines combat and makes certain classes more balanced and fun to play" I'm sure people would have been cheering. But what actually dropped was concentrated failure.

After the CU? I seriously doubt that. You really have no idea what you're referring to with the NGE, do you?

Only by those who were foolish enough to either rage quit or jump on the band wagon.

Aside from a few things at the need of its life the NGE was actually good for SWG and this is someone who played pre and post CU.

Also this isnt SOE we will be told of changes we always are.

The NGE killed SWG almost overnight. I don't think you can just dismiss all the people who quit so easily.

Actually SWG would still be running today if it had not been for SWTOR. It was the announcement of SWTOR that put the real end to SWG. Players were expecting SWTOR to be SWG 2, and not planning on continued subbing to SOE, because of that. SOE knew they couldn't compete (plus lic issues), so they shuttered the game in preparation for the SWTOR.

While the NGE was absolutely horrible, and ended a lot of rich complexity, the game actually got a lot stuff added to it over time (after NGE), and was quite a fun game by the end. Had the game been allowed to continue and the final very creative dev team been given a slightly better budget, then they would likely be doing great today.

Actually SWG would still be running today if it had not been for SWTOR. It was the announcement of SWTOR that put the real end to SWG. Players were expecting SWTOR to be SWG 2, and not planning on continued subbing to SOE, because of that. SOE knew they couldn't compete (plus lic issues), so they shuttered the game in preparation for the SWTOR.

It was almost exclusively the licensing issues.

OK, I read that three times and it makes no sense.

But My Master Droid Engineer / Master Merchant disagrees with your statement.

Then there's nothing further to discuss if you're incapable of following your own discussion. I'm certainly not going to draw you a diagram.