Theran Shan?

GorkieX

But then if they did write two different train scenes on Umbara, they'd have to write different scenes involving Theron for everything else in the future. And if we go further, saying that one betrayal was real and one wasn't, then it is two completely different stories.

I totally get it, I'm just saying that giving that amount of writing costs $$$ for a game that most certainly isn't BioWare's flagship. SWTOR is teensy weensy in the realm of things...when you look at what they're currently working on (Dragon Age 4 which will almost certainly be a GOTY title as well as that other mech thing that the name escapes me on at the moment).

And I think they went the way of the "tyrant" with Theron saying the things he said, even if they don't fit, is because it was deliberately over the top and wrong on purpose. Because the betrayal was an act. I get that some folks still don't believe it, but BW pretty much blew the whistle on that already (you can see Theron's outfit in Collections, and it's called "Deep Cover Operative") so they've kinda sorta removed any and all guesswork (if there really was any).

If anything, the fake "tyrant" diatribe wouldn't fit truly Dark 5 evil characters...because it wouldn't be fake...and those are the characters that would deserve to be betrayed.

Sorry, I didn't see this reply before. Anyway, I disagree with the assumption that two different "betrayal" scenes would require two separate stories afterwards. What would change with his scenes on Copero for example? He's stealing a map and running away from us, that would be (and is currently) the same for both a tyrant and a peacekeeper. They already threw in a line about the Alliance "outgrowing" a LS PC, why not make the entire conversation built around that kind of idea and with a tone that fits it instead of disjointedly mashing two opposing speeches together? Like maybe alliance soldiers are doing bad stuff behind the commander's back, maybe the commander is seen as weak and people are taking advantage, etc...As far as two betrayal conversations supposedly meaning that one betrayal was real and one was fake because the evil character deserved betrayal...they deserve betrayal already. Is their betrayal real in the story as it is now?

As for the money. I really don't think what I'm asking (the occasional differentiated scene or conversation) is as expensive as you're implying. Our expectations of BioWare have gotten insultingly low it seems. The company that once made story and choice based RPGs with wildly different endings and a ton of replay-ability now can't even be expected to record a different version of conversation here and there. I actually do share this low opinion of the current BioWare which is why I wont be buying any of their future games (Dragon Age 4 and that generic looking online loot box shooter included). Their newer games put such a bad taste in my mouth that I gave away ALL my BioWare games including my old favorites because I can't bring myself to play them anymore. The series' I once loved are now dead and without a future. Once my friend's 6 month subscription is over and I record all of the class stories I don't think I'll be coming back to this game either. I think you're probably right that they don't want to invest any effort or resources into SWtOR anymore and if that's the case then why should I continue to invest MY time and money? If whatever they have planned story-wise ends up being amazing then I'll have no problem giving them another chance (with SWtOR only) and saying I was wrong but based on this past year I'm extremely pessimistic.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two different points:

1. I really like the way Koth was written both in and out of the romance - ie, if you make choices he dislikes, he does leave. I can only think of a handful of times in the vanilla stories and expansions that happens. Vette does force the player to choose between her and Jaesa and will end the romance instead of being in a love triangle. In SoR if you make the wrong choices Lana won't romance you. But you can also be horrible to her or Theron and everything's peachy in KOTFE.

I wish the characters *would* have the ability to end the romance, leave or refuse to work with you if they don't like how you're treating them.

2. If the budget doesn't exist to write numerous stories - and I really think they should have at least two paths for Force and non-Force if nothing else, and continue recognizing the different classes in dialogue as they did in SoR and KOTFE - then they need to write content that makes sense. Theron standing on a train ranting about how a Peacekeeper doing humanitarian missions is "all that's rotten in the galaxy" makes no sense, even if it's a performance. The Copero storyline actually could have been completely written without Theron - the members of the Order could have taken his place. They could have written it as Theron and Lana uncovering a plot against the Alliance and you have to go to Iokath, Umbara and Copero to check it out.

Or they could have gone ahead and done something less old and tired than another betrayal/undercover act.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

That's the big difference that I think a lot of people seem to forget is that this is a MMO...and not Dragon Age, or Mass Effect, where those sorts of things matter when it comes to romance. We're lucky we have romance at all with a massively multiplayer online game. Perhaps it would have been easier if they'd just left it out entirely (BW, if you read this, please don't...because that's why I play this game, lol). Not to mention that BW is EA...and yeah.

With their single-player RPG's, we have real consequences to our actions when it comes to romanced characters, such as Cullen leaving an Inquisitor who orders him to take lyrium again, and the intricacies of that conversation are so intuitive that depending on the replies taken, he might not actually leave. And then enter the angst of running a Templar Inquisitor with a Cullen on lyrium. *chills* That level of development is a lot to ask of an MMO, where resources are spent elsewhere...on servers, maintenance, updates, Life Day festivals, PvP content that I couldn't care less about, etc. Hell, I'm surprised they're still paying for Troy Baker and Nolan North...two of the most expensive voice actors in the industry.

Subscribers are what bring in money, and with a "free to play" model, a lot of people don't subscribe anymore. Very few MMO's (WoW pretty much) are giant churning wheels of moolah for developers, and that's why many of them tend to fizzle out and die. I've played Lord of the Rings Online for ten years now, and that game has been dying the same slow death that many MMO's go through...that after being forced to go into a "free to play" model, content has suffered...because it's not bringing in the money to justify richer content. Old school players say "well this kriffing sucks" and leave, leaving the game to new players who just want to pay to win and PvP to their heart's content and don't give a pattoo about actual story content (hence the popularity of games with no story...massive side-eyes to those who play ARK, my hubs being one of them).

Lastly, how much money can we expect them to spend on a game that we know is going to be losing its content license at some point when it reverts to new ownership (Disney)? I think I remember hearing that, or am I completely off-base there?

I never said I was happy or content with it...I just get it.

I'll gladly continue to fork out $$$ each month if that means we get new and interesting content. Hell, I still pay for LoTRO too. But, I'm old school when it comes to MMO's.

Edited by Dracofish

The reason people think of SWtOR like BioWare’s single player games is because that’s how BioWare made it. It’s a single player BW game with 8 stories instead of one and just has cheap, generic MMO aspects tacked on. If they didn’t want people to focus on the single player story/characters/choices/romances then they shouldn’t have focused so heavily on that from the beginning. It’s not like we’re going on some CoD forum or something and going “why cant you make a long, involved, story heavy, romanced filled, choice based SP mode?” If SWtOR hadn’t been a BioWare single player game with the MMO aspects just being a tacked on afterthought, I wouldn’t have played it in the first place nor continued to play it for nearly 6 years.

The reason people think of SWtOR like BioWare’s single player games is because that’s how BioWare made it. It’s a single player BW game with 8 stories instead of one and just has cheap, generic MMO aspects tacked on. If they didn’t want people to focus on the single player story/characters/choices/romances then they shouldn’t have focused so heavily on that from the beginning. It’s not like we’re going on some CoD forum or something and going “why cant you make a long, involved, story heavy, romanced filled, choice based SP mode?” If SWtOR hadn’t been a BioWare single player game with the MMO aspects just being a tacked on afterthought, I wouldn’t have played it in the first place nor continued to play it for nearly 6 years.

All of that seemed to change with the surge in popularity of games that focus solely on PvP content.

Believe me, I get it. Treating SWTOR like a single-player RPG is why I started to play the game in the first place. I hate games that have no story. I have no idea how my hubs can rot his life away playing ARK when I see absolutely no point to even playing it...because there is zero story. But those are the types of games that are gaining massive fan-base...no matter how much it sucks.

We even see it with BW's single-player games...wasting valuable resources into developing multiplayer content that nobody gives a crap about, only someone must give a crap about it if they continue to move away from actual story content for it.

Edited by Dracofish

IMHO this *isn't* an MMO in the same way as WoW, FF, etc. It's a story-driven game; a MMORPG. You don't need to group. You don't need to worry about being ganked just walking around. The class stories and every single expac have been focused on a player taking their character through a story, and all can be completed solo. In the few instances where BW has tried to get players to complete content in a group, ie, the original setup for Forged Alliances, they have either had to change it (the Forged Alliances flashpoints are now solo) or make an alternative path (like on Yavin) that can be completed solo.

A lot of players also seem to have come in fron KOTOR, which was a story-driven single player game.

So given that it is a hybrid, and that so much attention is placed on the story, voice acting, characters, and yes, the romances, they can't ignore that and need to give it attention.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

IMHO this *isn't* an MMO in the same way as WoW, FF, etc. It's a story-driven game; a MMORPG. You don't need to group. You don't need to worry about being ganked just walking around. The class stories and every single expac have been focused on a player taking their character through a story, and all can be completed solo. In the few instances where BW has tried to get players to complete content in a group, ie, the original setup for Forged Alliances, they have either had to change it (the Forged Alliances flashpoints are now solo) or make an alternative path (like on Yavin) that can be completed solo.

A lot of players also seem to have come in fron KOTOR, which was a story-driven single player game.

So given that it is a hybrid, and that so much attention is placed on the story, voice acting, characters, and yes, the romances, they can't ignore that and need to give it attention.

They need to, but they're not going to anymore. Not now, at least. EA will gobble up great studios with great games, cut funding, milk whatever they can out of the fans, then shut it down when it stops being profitable. Never once considering that they were the ones who made it unprofitable in the first place. Rinse and repeat. The days of great RPGs and story driven games are coming to an end. And that makes me really sad :(

They need to, but they're not going to anymore. Not now, at least. EA will gobble up great studios with great games, cut funding, milk whatever they can out of the fans, then shut it down when it stops being profitable. Never once considering that they were the ones who made it unprofitable in the first place. Rinse and repeat. The days of great RPGs and story driven games are coming to an end. And that makes me really sad :(

Sad, but likely to be true. It's probably far less money for them to open an area for players to kill each other or a raid that some players will want to repeat over and over again with their buddies than to invest in quality story content. They really do cut their own noses off to spite their faces, so to speak. The game can't survive on raiders alone and they don't seem to get that, or care.

I agree, and my prediction is that DA4 will be BioWare's last RPG. If Anthem succeeds, the BioWare "division of EA"

will just make more of the same kind of generic, online, microtransaction, lootbox shooters. If Anthem tanks, BioWare will be dissolved entirely and if DA4 isn't finished at that point, it may well be canceled. I don't know if RPGs and story games as a whole are dying but I do find fewer and fewer games that interest me. Despite what AAA companies want to try and push off on us, I'm not going to randomly start playing shallow, no story, forced online, forced microtransaction games just because nobody is making good games anymore. If I can no longer get what I want then I wont buy ANY games. The only games right now that I'm looking forward to are Detroit: Become Human, Cyberpunk 2077 (if it ever gets made), and any games Telltale makes. The last few years I've gotten really into text based choice games, I hope more people make that kind of game in the future ^_^

All of that seemed to change with the surge in popularity of games that focus solely on PvP content.

Believe me, I get it. Treating SWTOR like a single-player RPG is why I started to play the game in the first place. I hate games that have no story. I have no idea how my hubs can rot his life away playing ARK when I see absolutely no point to even playing it...because there is zero story. But those are the types of games that are gaining massive fan-base...no matter how much it sucks.

We even see it with BW's single-player games...wasting valuable resources into developing multiplayer content that nobody gives a crap about, only someone must give a crap about it if they continue to move away from actual story content for it.

EA's shareholders care I guess since you make a **** ton more money off of online multiplayer, loot box/microtransaction games than you do with a one and done price for a finished game.

Does anyone else feel we're headed for another gaming crash like in the '80s?

I agree, and my prediction is that DA4 will be BioWare's last RPG. If Anthem succeeds, the BioWare "division of EA"

will just make more of the same kind of generic, online, microtransaction, lootbox shooters. If Anthem tanks, BioWare will be dissolved entirely and if DA4 isn't finished at that point, it may well be canceled. I don't know if RPGs and story games as a whole are dying but I do find fewer and fewer games that interest me. Despite what AAA companies want to try and push off on us, I'm not going to randomly start playing shallow, no story, forced online, forced microtransaction games just because nobody is making good games anymore. If I can no longer get what I want then I wont buy ANY games. The only games right now that I'm looking forward to are Detroit: Become Human, Cyberpunk 2077 (if it ever gets made), and any games Telltale makes. The last few years I've gotten really into text based choice games, I hope more people make that kind of game in the future ^_^

EA's shareholders care I guess since you make a **** ton more money off of online multiplayer, loot box/microtransaction games than you do with a one and done price for a finished game.

Does anyone else feel we're headed for another gaming crash like in the '80s?

I hope they finish 4. Dragon Age is my favorite series. And if they don't, or stop making single player titles, then I'll play my old games. Have you ever played Horizon Zero Dawn? My husband LOVES it. It's by Guerrilla. It looks awesome, but it's a Playstation exclusive and I like Xbox :rolleyes:

I hope they finish 4. Dragon Age is my favorite series. And if they don't, or stop making single player titles, then I'll play my old games. Have you ever played Horizon Zero Dawn? My husband LOVES it. It's by Guerrilla. It looks awesome, but it's a Playstation exclusive and I like Xbox :rolleyes:

I don't yet have a PS4, but I'm hoping to get one within the next year and I intend to try it out then :)

Neighbourhood pessimist back again, recently played a KotFE/KotET run where Koth left, stealing a ship etc. I have the sad feeling that if they keep to what they've done previously - undercover or not Theron cannot return to the Alliance.

Koth cannot come back to a Commander who forgives him for his attitude and theft because the Alliance would no longer trust him, and he was just part of the upper circle of advisors, not one of the Commanders two closest advisors (Theron and Lana). This is making me worry, no matter what the reasoning - undercover, real betrayal, manipulated, blackmailed whatever.. he's gone for good like if Koth does, because the entire Alliance knows only "he betrayed the commander and is a traitor to the Alliance" like with Koth, and Koth has zero option to come back once leaving, stating the Alliance wouldn't welcome him back or be too distrustful. The exact same case is with Theron right now, the entire Alliance is on high alert for a traitor, no matter his reasons. That cannot be handwaved if it couldn't be handwaved for Koth who yes was also an LI. ugh, this story arc is just stupid all over the place. And taking too long to wrap up, I understand it takes time to get content ready but 3 months between in such an important arc because of the character it revolves around is a touch too long for me, maybe I need another 8 month break just to have something to do without having 3 months speculating between each 8 minute story reveal/progression.

I was pretty heartbroken about Theron. While I like the idea of him being some secret double agent (And it seems plausible due to certain actions.) when you have a romance with him it just feels awkward. My light side shadow who romanced him will definitely forgive him. And I hope he doesn't die. But I also hope there is an option to "break up" the romance.

Basically, I don't want Theron to die or to leave the story. But I do want my romance to be ended with him without killing him. And essentially, him not by my hero's side anymore.

All of this has made me appreciate Lana a LOT more. But still heartbroken about Theron.

QQ

I'd like a breakup chance with Theron too --- at least with my agent ---

the whole reason she never got "involved" with anyone was the lack of trust ---

she trusted Theron, he was in the same "business"; he was supposed to understand

... and he does THIS ... besides after Saganu's letter ( I remember Arcann's letters and all that hinting ..)

she is not a cheater -- in head cannon at least, she is now back with him ...

I just think Theron and my agent are through .. my JK , Smuggler, and BH -- still love him though, so we will see

Neighbourhood pessimist back again, recently played a KotFE/KotET run where Koth left, stealing a ship etc. I have the sad feeling that if they keep to what they've done previously - undercover or not Theron cannot return to the Alliance.

Koth cannot come back to a Commander who forgives him for his attitude and theft because the Alliance would no longer trust him, and he was just part of the upper circle of advisors, not one of the Commanders two closest advisors (Theron and Lana). This is making me worry, no matter what the reasoning - undercover, real betrayal, manipulated, blackmailed whatever.. he's gone for good like if Koth does, because the entire Alliance knows only "he betrayed the commander and is a traitor to the Alliance" like with Koth, and Koth has zero option to come back once leaving, stating the Alliance wouldn't welcome him back or be too distrustful. The exact same case is with Theron right now, the entire Alliance is on high alert for a traitor, no matter his reasons. That cannot be handwaved if it couldn't be handwaved for Koth who yes was also an LI. ugh, this story arc is just stupid all over the place. And taking too long to wrap up, I understand it takes time to get content ready but 3 months between in such an important arc because of the character it revolves around is a touch too long for me, maybe I need another 8 month break just to have something to do without having 3 months speculating between each 8 minute story reveal/progression.

My pessimism over SWtOR has nearly caught up to my pessimism over the rest of BioWare in the last year. I think you're right that Theron wont be coming back, I think we'll either get the option to kill him (whether or not he's on our side, the edgelords don't care about reasons after all) or spare him and if we spare him, he'll die heroically to save our life soon after. *doomgloom* >:(

^^^^^^ THIS ......

I didn't want to say it --- but your scenario is exactly what I have been thinking -- just a feeling nothing more ...

not one i like either .....

Pretty much agree as well.

I'd been hoping that the storyline with Theron would evolve into a way to break up the Eternal Alliance and return to a more Republic/Imperial storyline. I no longer see that as any possibility with the Theron story. I think we'll see the character's motives as a true betrayer and treated as such, or have him banished in some other manner now. Because they can.

Matters not. My subscription lapses in March and is no longer set to renew. At best I can only see myself resubscribing simply to see the 2 minutes of cut scenes "explaining it all' at some point as many do now.

It's fine to be pessimistic and all, but the difference is that if the Commander does enough to piss off Koth, he actually does betray you, whereas Theron does not (technically he's still working for the Alliance). BW has completely let those kittens out of the bag. I just bought Theron's new threads yesterday on the Cartel Market..."Deep Cover Operative." Hard to miss.

Yes, Theron betrays our trust, but he's not betraying the Alliance. I hate what he did, he's being completely and totally stupid about it because he undermined the Commander's authority and made him or her look like an utter stooge...but we know from the past that Theron has done some pretty stupid things. And blowing up a train in the hopes of "my babes can survive anything" just to make it seem real pretty much takes the cake of stupid.

I think, at best, what we can expect is an entirely unsatisfactory hand wave that Theron will be back because he was "saving the galaxy from the threat" and we'll be expected to just go "good on you, Theron" and look like stooges again by forgiving him. It sucks hardcore, but at least he won't be removed from future story.

I don't see them removing him entirely (meaning I don't see a kill option, even though I think there should be one if it were to be done right), because that would leave us with literally only one person...Lana. And whine all we want about her being teacher's pet, but I would hope they wouldn't be dumb enough to alienate every f/m and m/m player out there by removing the only male love interest that isn't a paperweight.

Edited by Dracofish

It's fine to be pessimistic and all, but the difference is that if the Commander does enough to piss off Koth, he actually does betray you, whereas Theron does not (technically he's still working for the Alliance). BW has completely let those kittens out of the bag. I just bought Theron's new threads yesterday on the Cartel Market..."Deep Cover Operative." Hard to miss.

Yes, Theron betrays our trust, but he's not betraying the Alliance. I hate what he did, he's being completely and totally stupid about it because he undermined the Commander's authority and made him or her look like an utter stooge...but we know from the past that Theron has done some pretty stupid things. And blowing up a train in the hopes of "my babes can survive anything" just to make it seem real pretty much takes the cake of stupid.

I think, at best, what we can expect is an entirely unsatisfactory hand wave that Theron will be back because he was "saving the galaxy from the threat" and we'll be expected to just go "good on you, Theron" and look like stooges again by forgiving him. It sucks hardcore, but at least he won't be removed from future story.

I don't see them removing him entirely (meaning I don't see a kill option, even though I think there should be one if it were to be done right), because that would leave us with literally only one person...Lana. And whine all we want about her being teacher's pet, but I would hope they wouldn't be dumb enough to alienate every f/m and m/m player out there by removing the only male love interest that isn't a paperweight.

I had hoped that this Theron story arc would be him undercover with the full knowledge and support of Lana and would ultimately lead to the "outlander" being disgusted and angry with the two of them leaving her/him in the dark, killing needlessly etc and just walking out of the Alliance. Thus ending this whole storyline. But it doesn't appear that will happen any time soon. Oh well.

Koth cannot come back to a Commander who forgives him for his attitude and theft because the Alliance would no longer trust him, and he was just part of the upper circle of advisors, not one of the Commanders two closest advisors (Theron and Lana). This is making me worry, no matter what the reasoning - undercover, real betrayal, manipulated, blackmailed whatever.. he's gone for good like if Koth does, because the entire Alliance knows only "he betrayed the commander and is a traitor to the Alliance" like with Koth, and Koth has zero option to come back once leaving, stating the Alliance wouldn't welcome him back or be too distrustful. .

If Arcann is a member of the Alliance, anyone can be a member of the alliance :p Koth didn't want to stay because he doesn't like the outlander.

Edited by Tadagyt

hi all, i wandered in here, slightly dazzled by the wtfness of the last flashpoint :)

much agreed about story driven games dying, this is the end of it - i, an old lady and veteran of Zaxxon, Commando and Commander Blood am honestly planning to complete all stories in swtor, complete the new Star Control (that i have to prefix it with 'new' alone tells a lot), complete c2077 and turn in my gamer card. I don't think it's all (or even mostly) corporate greed - i think it's ok and just generational, completely different people and different motives. We played to be imaginary characters and disconnect, now they do so to fit in and be social.

Still about Theron, i think he can come back. He's a spy. I can imagine a believable scenario where Theron is a double agent with a preferred side and had to go deep cover exactly this way - and in a critical moment off channels just asks you to place every bit of trust in him within two seconds based on your supposed ability to calculate which side he's on from his lack of true motive other than for a field agent very uncharacteristic 'world peace'. And if you don't - he still has credibility with the second best choice, the Order.

So is there word on when the next release is? At this point I've stopped any characters of mine from going past KOTET story wise. That way there's at least some sort of happy ending; even if it's only in my head. ;) If this whole arc goes sideways I'll be disappointed, but closure has been achieved over here. :D Edited by Venn_Dras

So is there word on when the next release is? At this point I've stopped any characters of mine from going past KOTET story wise. That way there's at least some sort of happy ending; even if it's only in my head. ;) If this whole arc goes sideways I'll be disappointed, but closure has been achieved over here. :D

Not that I know of but feel free to correct me if I've missed something. I might be a little impatient wanting to know more of what's happening with Theron, the next FP is going to be when I assume something will be resolved with Theron, I mean we can only play cat and mouse for so long where we chase him and he gets away again. I just want some confirmation of when we'll be getting anything more story wise, just an announcement to say yeah late Jan or early Feb will do, just tell us something!

Edited by BlueShiftRecall

I agree completely. Add to the hints that he is not really betraying us that the writers said it is a matter of trust.

But as always the NPCs/Player characters can only do what was written for them so I am not so hopeful about the dialog options we get when he returns. I think there might be a break up option but I don't even think you can exile or kill him. In this case they have to get rid of Lana too - I think they know people will riot if Theron can be killed and not Lana too.

I am wondering if Lana is in on this - based on her behaviour I think not otherwise she is really playing it well - maybe too well. But being so pragmatic and that the result counts and not the way it is achieved I think she might even end up and approve Therons actions as long as the alliance or the commander benefits from it.