"You've Got Bad Gear....."

I'm working on a full endurance shadow tank. Currently sitting at 66,7k. Still missing comm implants and earpiece, two 198 relics and 2 modifications and enhancements. So 70k should be possible:D

I assume you use a proper tank set to get the comms for the endurance gear. I was considering trying to max hp on my jugg tank after being told by a 57k sorc healer that my 53k tank was undergeared, but decided in the end I cant be bothered.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently i think i can probably get my tank near 60k health once he's fully geared. Currently i need 3 more 198 armorings (with the set piece) and 3 or 4 more min-maxed low endurance 198 enhancements, which should hopefully give me the 1.5k hp i need.

Is maxing endurance really necessary on tanks? I personally prioritize defense rating as it is a flat out damage reduction. (that is defense rating)

There is no real good / bad thing to do when gearing a tank. You should gear the way you personally like it the best. Also your guilds healers will need to agree with how you gear (but only as secondary input). If you are happy than you will perform better, if the healers are not stressed out because of you than you will get more heals.

If you only intend to do flashpoints than high endurence isn't that bad a thing. I had to heal a 70k guardian tank through rakata prime HM and besides a quick heal so now and than I didnt need to touch him. He was popping his defenses on cooldown which actually made him easy to heal.

In general you shouldn't prioritise endurence when gearing up. The expections:

- If your dps remains the same take more endurence

- If you go for HM operations make sure that your HP is at least high enough to survive burst damage. Try to keep your tank at least around 50k HP.

My shadowtank is at 57k HP which makes me feel most comfortable with. I am wearing 198 high endurence mods, implants and earpiece. The rest is either 192 or 198 low endurence / high mitigation. If I get my hands on the 198/192 implants/earpiece tokens I will swap them out but for now I rather pass the items to dps and healers in my group.

1 last thing. Be careful with defense rating. If you stack to much you will be quite spikey. The moment your defense roll misses its up to your shield to mitigate the damage. Since you said you were having a prio on defense I guess that you don't have shield augs.

There is no real good / bad thing to do when gearing a tank. You should gear the way you personally like it the best. Also your guilds healers will need to agree with how you gear (but only as secondary input). If you are happy than you will perform better, if the healers are not stressed out because of you than you will get more heals.

If you only intend to do flashpoints than high endurence isn't that bad a thing. I had to heal a 70k guardian tank through rakata prime HM and besides a quick heal so now and than I didnt need to touch him. He was popping his defenses on cooldown which actually made him easy to heal.

- If you go for HM operations make sure that your HP is at least high enough to survive burst damage. Try to keep your tank at least around 50k HP.

My shadowtank is at 57k HP which makes me feel most comfortable with. I am wearing 198 high endurence mods, implants and earpiece. The rest is either 192 or 198 low endurence / high mitigation. If I get my hands on the 198/192 implants/earpiece tokens I will swap them out but for now I rather pass the items to dps and healers in my group.

1 last thing. Be careful with defense rating. If you stack to much you will be quite spikey. The moment your defense roll misses its up to your shield to mitigate the damage. Since you said you were having a prio on defense I guess that you don't have shield augs.

my main tank isnt even level 60 yet (level 56) I just prefer the flat out damage reduction, My skill usage is I would say more on the ball than most, I manage to keep my self around 70% hp even without the healer healing me, the example was when I ran drive yards (I know its not a good example) and the rest of the team wiped because they ran into the laser (droid boss) even when I turned the boss to face away from them and the dps's forgot to take care of the adds. But I held out at 70% hp long enough for them to revive and get back to the boss :rolleyes:

for some reason though even on level 55 mods I still am sitting around 28K HP only, dont know if this is just because level 55 mods, or whether I am doing something wrong

Edited by LeonoraOmega

my main tank isnt even level 60 yet (level 56) I just prefer the flat out damage reduction, My skill usage is I would say more on the ball than most, I manage to keep my self around 70% hp even without the healer healing me, the example was when I ran drive yards (I know its not a good example) and the rest of the team wiped because they ran into the laser (droid boss) even when I turned the boss to face away from them and the dps's forgot to take care of the adds. But I held out at 70% hp long enough for them to revive and get back to the boss :rolleyes:

for some reason though even on level 55 mods I still am sitting around 28K HP only, dont know if this is just because level 55 mods, or whether I am doing something wrong

Level means less than the gear rating since level 55 mods range from 156-186. Need to know the gear rating but if it's 162 then that's fine.

When it comes to endgame stuff, the commendation gear is the best you can get prior to the stuff in operations, anyone that says your gear sucks, just wants an easy run themselves.

Its like, if the highest gear was 999, they would consider anything less then 999 gear as bad gear, since he has like 250 and needs to get gear himself and prefers to be carried through.

Its an mmo, there are loads of people like that in the games, one of the reasons why i NEVER do pugs....they are too unreliable, most tend to be too childish, moronic and care only about themselves, they care more about finishing content as fast as possible, with no wipes and even if its their fault, they blame others, i mean, if you make a mistake, be an adult and own up to it, but thats my opinion.

When it comes to endgame stuff, the commendation gear is the best you can get prior to the stuff in operations, anyone that says your gear sucks, just wants an easy run themselves.

Getting good starting gear is so damn easy now there is no excuse considering if you are a dps/healer Ziost practically gives you 8 pieces, just need to farm a bit of memory holograms for max accuracy etc.

The only recurring issue I see is quite a bit of people are not getting their gear augmented. 728 mainstat + extra HP is really huge. Seems people have difficulty getting enough credits. Its ~2.5mil depending on server prices. Well I myself am always poor but somehow I manage to scrape enough money for pve/pvp/different spec sets.

Edited by Arunas

This is so incredibly wrong.

If youre incorporating as much endurance as you can you are a bad tank. End of story.

Just because tanks tend to use B mods now does not mean that HP stacking is a thing. The only reason they do that is because the low endurance enhancements are now available. This lets tanks sacrifice personal DPS for survivability (which is a trade that any good tank will take in a heartbeat). Tanks also have access to effectively larger defensive stat pools than before making the diminishing returns on defensive stats start to matter when looking at the trade off in survivability between more absorb/defense and more HP.

Please remember that this is a group game and, especially if you are the tank, the other people in your group are depending on you to perform the best you can. If you set up your gear in a way that hampers the group, youre not only being rude, inconsiderate, and stupid, but youre also probably going to get kicked.

If you are dead set on "playing your own way" there is plenty of solo content out there (and much more on the way...) for you to derp about in. If you want to do group content, either gear yourself correctly or accept the possible(probable) consequences.

Edited by Dras_Keto

Getting good starting gear is so damn easy now there is no excuse considering if you are a dps/healer Ziost practically gives you 8 pieces, just need to farm a bit of memory holograms for max accuracy etc.

The only recurring issue I see is quite a bit of people are not getting their gear augmented. 728 mainstat + extra HP is really huge. Seems people have difficulty getting enough credits. Its ~2.5mil depending on server prices. Well I myself am always poor but somehow I manage to scrape enough money for pve/pvp/different spec sets.

Not only that, I've seen people in chat saying they are not going to use any of the Ziost gear because it is all 'blue garbage' while wearing a mix of Basic and Elite comms gear filled with crappy high endurance enhancements and random stat distributions (typically low accuracy / high crit).

While fully augmented and optimized isn't required to be successful with entry 60 content, there is a pretty large delta in the potential performance of someone wearing optimized and augmented Ziost and someone wearing unaugmented unoptimized random whatever stats came on the vendor piece Basic, Elite and even Ultimate gear.

Edited by DawnAskham

If youre incorporating as much endurance as you can you are a bad tank. End of story.

Just because tanks tend to use B mods now does not mean that HP stacking is a thing. The only reason they do that is because the low endurance enhancements are now available. This lets tanks sacrifice personal DPS for survivability (which is a trade that any good tank will take in a heartbeat). Tanks also have access to effectively larger defensive stat pools than before making the diminishing returns on defensive stats start to matter when looking at the trade off in survivability between more absorb/defense and more HP.

Please remember that this is a group game and, especially if you are the tank, the other people in your group are depending on you to perform the best you can. If you set up your gear in a way that hampers the group, youre not only being rude, inconsiderate, and stupid, but youre also probably going to get kicked.

If you are dead set on "playing your own way" there is plenty of solo content out there (and much more on the way...) for you to derp about in. If you want to do group content, either gear yourself correctly or accept the possible(probable) consequences.

Read full posts before you post and perhaps even read the full amount of what you quoted.

No, just no.

That is horribly wrong

Ultimate gear is definitely not the best pve gear. Far from it.

Ultimate gear may have the 198 gear rating which is the highest currently available gear rating (except for one item, but ignore that for the moment)

However highest rating does not mean best.

Not only is the 198 ultimate commendation gear much worse than the 198 gear from ops, but it is even in nearly all cases significantly worse than even the lower rating 192 gear from storymode ops. In some cases even lower than that have bits and pieces that are better.

Also even the 190 rating blues from Ziost solo quests have at least some enhancements that are better than the ones on 198 ultimate commendations gear.

Trying to get ultimate commendations is pretty much waste of time. Just get enough to buy the off-hand item and then forget about them.

Now, putting all that aside and back to topic:

You can of course do hm flashpoints (which are not the only way to get ultimate commendations by the way, just saying) in very low quality gear quite easily, but since you don't really say what gear you actually had, there is no way to tell if you were in bad gear that was too bad for it or not.

198s aren't a waste of time. Is using JUST 198s a waste of time? Yes.. especially since gear isn't min/maxed when you purchase it. You mix it with the Revanite and Resurrected stuff :3. Are the armorings bad tho? Yea... they really don't do much as far as helping.

198 "A" mods are approximately equal to 192 unlettered mods. Armorings have the best available stats, but 192 set bonus pieces are preferred. Enhancements in comms gear are junk; 198 comms enhancements lose out to even 186 crafted enhancements.

I did. Are you sure you did?

You do realize that you objected to what he said and then wrote the same exact thing he did but with the tone of an ***hole instead of a friendly helpful person.

So, basically, what youre saying here is that you didnt. Ok. Thanks for confirming that for us.

Yep, not the same things at all...

/golfclap

You have completely missed the point so many times its stopped being funny. His post is all about how its "ok for you to gear your character the way you want to and here are some of the ways people like to." Mine makes it abundantly clear that this is not that case and explains why those different ways are bad.

Too many people out there have this delusion that because this is an mmo they are entitled to do things however they want to and everyone else is expected to put up with their stupidity. Thats not the way it works and people need to understand this. Giving them a different impression is irresponsible, at best.

You have completely missed the point so many times its stopped being funny. His post is all about how its "ok for you to gear your character the way you want to and here are some of the ways people like to." Mine makes it abundantly clear that this is not that case and explains why those different ways are bad.

Too many people out there have this delusion that because this is an mmo they are entitled to do things however they want to and everyone else is expected to put up with their stupidity. Thats not the way it works and people need to understand this. Giving them a different impression is irresponsible, at best.

I gear my tank the right way

As in my way cause I'm always right:rak_03:

Edited by FerkWork

Your idiocy hurts my brain.