Feel like I want something "New" from the Developers, like a new vision for the game

ZionHalcyon

So, we are a week and 4 days away from the 6-15-15 "Fallen Empire" tease.

Keep in mind, this really is the first time that SWTOR is teasing something major ahead of E3.

Some have argued that just because it's on the eve of E3, doesn't mean it's major, but I disagree.

E3 is all about showcase - its about making major announcements of games and their directions, and the impression given is that this is something that is supposedly going to be big for SWTOR.

Here's the thing - they didn't do this for Shadow of Revan, which arguably was the most hyped Expansion SWTOR has had since launch, with Rise of the Hutt Cartel following close behind, which also didn't get the E3 treatment. Heck, until recently SWTOR wasn't even on EAs radar, until they changed producers and reinvested in what the players wanted, which gave us Forged Alliances and SoR.

All that, without a substantial E3 announcement.

Yet they are going to announce something "exciting" on the Eve of E3 here.

I think anything less than a big reveal would be a massive disappointment.

Let's face some truths:

For as long as the game has been around, the developers old and new have admitted the pacing on planets 1-50 have been a mess. 12XP has solved this at the expense of all the side quests, and Heroics seem pointless now. There is a lot of development "waste" here.

The majority of players want story, CLASS story and COMPANION story. It's been a loud, vocal, consistent cry and while not what the original 1-50 experience was, Forged Alliances and SoR at least get back to the spirit of that, but people still want more - more class story, more companion story, more personalized story that makes you feel like the hero of your own star wars saga, which is what BioWare promised prior to game launch - they want you to feel Heroic.

While some contest this, the recently cancelled Shadow Realms back in February also saw staff assigned to that reassigned to SWTOR (check their linked in for verification), which lends some needed manpower to the team.

So, in light of this, when they say they have an "exciting" announcement (Eric's words, not mine), I hope whatever it is, its BIG.

And not predictable "big" either. We know where this story is going. Its leading to a fight and eventual showdown with the emperor which likely will follow the same format as Revan with 2 options to kill him - Ops or through dailies (which I thought was rather ingenious, btw), and that's all fine, grand even. But it's EXPECTED.

So unless they are saying they are releasing with Fallen Empire 6 new planets all the size of Hoth I don't really see how having the same, while nice and entertaining, can be exciting.

I just hope they really try to rock the boat with this expansion they're announcing. BioWare needs Fallen Empire to be its WoW Cataclysm - something that changed the game for WoW and gave it the shot in the arm it needed to dominate for years to come.

I want something newish. I want to see what the devs are really capable of. I want to see more personal story, and I want to see them be so bold as to remake the worlds that already exist into something far more entertaining and rewarding, that might actually tempt you to veer off of the 12x xp path for a few to go do them.

Is it expecting a lot? Sure. And if BioWare can even deliver on 10-20% of my wants I'll be hyped through the roof.

But I hope we get something truly exciting, and not yet another thing that has the devs peeing down their legs with excitement when they finally get around to coming to the community with their new stuff, only for it to fall flat again when the community finally gets a hold of it...

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know.. I really do hope all the HYPE is going to pay off, but sadly I'm convinced it's just going to be the next tier of operations announcements and a TBD date will be like OCT 2015 or some crap like that.

What would be BIG in my mind are only a few REAL Life changers for the game:

• MEGA SERVER - Everything is merged "Boom"... that is epic big worthy of this hype
  • NEW ENGINE - Replace the POS they bought... that while highly unlikely would be hype worthy
  • LEGACY - made somewhat .. erg... USED? IE: How about some love... hype worth 'meh'
  • CROSS SERVER ANYTHING - (PVP, Group Finder, etc) Yea.. PVPer's would bow and kiss some feet, butts and everything in between... THAT would be the most epic thing to be hype worthy.

Sadly.. We are likely to get the story line that continues for SWTOR marching towards the final showdown

You know.. I really do hope all the HYPE is going to pay off, but sadly I'm convinced it's just going to be the next tier of operations announcements and a TBD date will be like OCT 2015 or some crap like that.

• MEGA SERVER - Everything is merged "Boom"... that is epic big worthy of this hype
  • NEW ENGINE - Replace the POS they bought... that while highly unlikely would be hype worthy
  • LEGACY - made somewhat .. erg... USED? IE: How about some love... hype worth 'meh'
  • CROSS SERVER ANYTHING - (PVP, Group Finder, etc) Yea.. PVPer's would bow and kiss some feet, butts and everything in between... THAT would be the most epic thing to be hype worthy.

Sadly.. We are likely to get the story line that continues for SWTOR marching towards the final showdown

I do wish people would get off of the new engine bandwagon. Its not going to happen. It would require a rewrite of the entire game to do that, because of how heavily modified it is. The company that makes the hero engine doesn't even support bioware anymore because the engine doesn't even resemble what they had. Its not as simple as just swapping engines.

And if you are going to make a new engine, really for the work involved, you may as well make an entirely new game.

I do wish people would get off of the new engine bandwagon. Its not going to happen. It would require a rewrite of the entire game to do that, because of how heavily modified it is. The company that makes the hero engine doesn't even support bioware anymore because the engine doesn't even resemble what they had. Its not as simple as just swapping engines.

And if you are going to make a new engine, really for the work involved, you may as well make an entirely new game.

Agreed. But it seems that everyone demanding a new engine thinks its as simple as copying text scrips to an entirely new graphics system.

Ill also assume these same people never played games that have been community modded, where graphical glitches happen with predictable (and usually terrifying/hilarious results) regularity.

IE: lots of player mods in Dragon Age look beautiful when your standing next to whatever is modded, but move ten feet away and it looks like a Pablo Picaso nightmare fragment due to warping and edge tearing.

Hell the devs cant fix years old issues in game yet people demand the entire game be rebuilt from the ground up. And yes, thats exactly wht a new engine would entail.

Edited by XiamaraSimi

Agreed. But it seems that everyone demanding a new engine thinks its as simple as copying text scrips to an entirely new graphics system.

Ill also assume these same people never played games that have been community modded, where graphical glitches happen with predictable (and usually terrifying/hilarious results) regularity.

IE: lots of player mods in Dragon Age look beautiful when your standing next to whatever is modded, but move ten feet away and it looks like a Pablo Picaso nightmare fragment due to warping and edge tearing.

Hell the devs cant fix years old issues in game yet people demand the entire game be rebuilt from the ground up. And yes, thats exactly wht a new engine would entail.

Nothing beats dragons falling from the sky in Skyrim, though. Or mammoths flying into the sky. And that's before mods.

I want more hints before I try and guess what is coming at E3. All the rumor mill nonsense is bad for the soul.

I work in IT and know exactly what it takes to deploy something of such size. So YES.. it would be a BIG DEAL to make that happen or SWTOR 2 happen with a real engine.

No bandwagon.. doubt it will happen, but if they did announce something like that it would be a big deal.

Hope it's a new raid

That they don't have to nerf a bazillion times because lol lets closed Beta test and make everything insanely unbalanced and so hard it could cut diamonds

Edited by FerkWork

Well Eric mentioned the announcement of the 15th a few more times during the twitch stream this week and yeh it's E3 time as well. Now a new raid is most welcome, but that's sort of in the line of expectations.

They did set themselves up with this one though. It would have to be a big deal. Eric also keeps repeating the return to story thing.

Now I know that no matter what some people will be disappointed, but the really should deliver something special here or it will unnecessarily disappoint a lot more people. That would be a shame.

Nothing beats dragons falling from the sky in Skyrim, though. Or mammoths flying into the sky. And that's before mods.

I want more hints before I try and guess what is coming at E3. All the rumor mill nonsense is bad for the soul.

But you know what... some of those Skyrim mods made things just AWESOME to sit and look at... I must have downloaded GIG's of mods when folks first starting redoing the graphics. So awesome and some so... yea... lunch lady leftovers.

Nice list though couple will never happen

1 and 2) Mega Server and New Engine are co dependent. They cant support a new server with out changing the engine and they will never change engine because of cost associated to it,

3) Legacy. Completely agree about making it useful. Hell at this stage Id even settle for fixing the known bug they created when they added in achievements. My legacy STILL reads as legacy 0 in regards to achievements because of the bug that screws up for people who were legacy 50 before achievements were put in.

Endless threads on it and nada

everytime you send a bug report they say its a known bug that needs to be fixed by a patch and to contact cust service

so you contact cust service and they tell you to fill out a in game bug report (what you did to begin with)

and the circle jerk run around just rolls on from there

4) Cross server anything. This could be done with this engine but they have always been very determined to resist requests for this.

My big thing would be

1) Pazzaak and Swoop racing (KotOR 1, NOT KotOR 2 style and DEFINITELY NOT POD RACING)

2) Manaan and/or Kashyyk strong holds (and you dont have to turn any others off to open new one)

3) DAoC style RVR (never happen as would also require new engine to support it, like mega server concept)

4) fully itemized subscriber only server with no cartel shop (fully itemized means all cartel items can be found through adventuring in game on that one server .... obviously no character transfers to or from for that server)

That would be my big 4

but like yourself I suspect the BIG ANNOUNCEMENT will be something far less exciting or even big.

Well Eric mentioned the announcement of the 15th a few more times during the twitch stream this week and yeh it's E3 time as well. Now a new raid is most welcome, but that's sort of in the line of expectations.

They did set themselves up with this one though. It would have to be a big deal. Eric also keeps repeating the return to story thing.

Now I know that no matter what some people will be disappointed, but the really should deliver something special here or it will unnecessarily disappoint a lot more people. That would be a shame.

They have set themselves up big-time for this announcement. Given how starved we have been of proper content, anything short of an expansion larger than both RotHC and SoR in content terms is going to produce a very, very negative reaction.

We had hard modes of two flashpoints in 3.1.

We had Ziost with a short amount of story, one instanced world boss and one un-instanced ops boss and a daily area with virtually nothing to kill and the costume designer in 3.2.

We will be getting a new stronghold in 3.3 and possibly a new species unlock.

It is true that there have been significant quality of life improvements in the game, but they are NOT new content.

One stronghold, one daily area, one instanced boss, one short amount of story, the costumer designer, HMs of two existing flashpoints and possibly a new species unlock. That will be AFTER 3.3, not now. Since 3.3 is scheduled for the middle of July that will be nearly 8 months since the original launch of Shadow of Revan. There is one word which describes the amount of content that Bioware will have released by then: PATHETIC.

Competitive PvP in this game is essentially dead. Progression raiding in this game is now essentially dead. More routine level raiding and PvP in this game has suffered massive attrition as well. Tell me again what it is we need a subscription for in this game? We certainly don't need it to experience any of the content outside of warzones and operations. If Bioware continues down the route they are going they will end up in a situation where the only people they have playing the game will be non-subscribers. There will be a bit of cartel market income of course, but from what I understand subscribers are the big cartel market spenders as well. What happens to the game if only non-subscribers play it in significant numbers? What happens to the jobs of those at Bioware Austin if only non-subscribers play it in significant numbers? Game is shut down, Bioware Austin is shut down and everyone there loses their jobs. That is now a very, very realistic scenario at some point in 2016.

I don't know if this game can be saved. There are certainly actions which are necessary to save it, but the problem is that they may not be sufficient to save it. The largest elephant in the room is the lack of proper content and the necessary action is to release content more frequently. Let's see what we need to have released before the end of the summer for Bioware to have a decent chance of saving this game:

• At least one new 8 v 8 warzone
  • A full new operations tier
  • Another daily area with a decent number of enemies that you actually need to kill
  • A second, larger set of story content with at least differing stories for each faction

Not particularly likely to happen is it? If Bioware don't do something that big and that radical then one of two things will happen. Either the game will shut down and Bioware Austin will shut down or it will complete its transition into the world's first MSORPG. Massively Single-player Online Roleplaying Game. Things have been trending that way in the MMO world for a while, but this would be the first game to essentially completely abandon any multiplayer content in the genre.

Edited by davidp_newton

The main reason why they are promoting SWTOR at E3 is because of Episode 7. No matter how big or small the Fallen Empire update is, they want to make players aware of the game. And if they are targeting new or returning players, I'm sure they want to emphasize the class stories and leveling more than any endgame operations or new features which only matter to veteran players who have invested a lot of time into the game already.

I hope that the announcement won't be too big because anything larger in size than Shadow of Revan can only be a paid expansion and it is way too early to ask for our money or increase the level cap, which will certainly cause some players to quit the game. On the other hand, anything smaller than Shadow of Revan will anger the already content-starved raiders who didn't get a full operation for a whole year by then.

I'm still not so sure whether those devs from Shadow Realms work on SWTOR again. The Fallen Empire announcement will kind of settle that for me because so far I haven't seen SWTOR improve yet (still slow updates with lots of bugs), so I hope Fallen Empire will pick up the pace.

The majority of players want story, CLASS story and COMPANION story.

To be fair, at the time the survey was carried out, we had accessible endgame (SM operations where bad players can easily be carried through), HM operations that are just enough of a challenge to keep groups progressing instead of giving up, better class balance, and we were in general in a very positive-looking phase of the game, with new content being released every 6-8 weeks, so class story was the main thing missing at the time.

I'd imagine that nowadays, players would first want to get more playable content again before asking for more story. For example, I'd rather have 10 operation bosses with interesting mechanics but zero story, than a operation full of cutscenes you have to skip through.

Then again, Bioware already killed off sizable parts of the PvP and raiding community so now solo players comprise the majority...

Edited by Jerba

Well, assuming that you are correct and the Shadow Realms devs were moved over to SWTOR, an engine revamp is not that unlikely. After all, Shadow Realms was in an alpha-stage, which means the majority of the devs were engineers, not designers, and engineers are the kind of people who could revamp the engine. But I also think that this is unlikely even though it would be the best thing to happen to SWTOR.

Improving the engine is not just an end in itself, it is also what hinders development when the devs constantly reach a barrier, what introduces this many bugs, what makes it difficult to identify and fix the bugs.

My big thing would be

1) Pazzaak and Swoop racing (KotOR 1, NOT KotOR 2 style and DEFINITELY NOT POD RACING)

2) Manaan and/or Kashyyk strong holds (and you dont have to turn any others off to open new one)

3) DAoC style RVR (never happen as would also require new engine to support it, like mega server concept)

4) fully itemized subscriber only server with no cartel shop (fully itemized means all cartel items can be found through adventuring in game on that one server .... obviously no character transfers to or from for that server)

Just not going to happen --

1) Not possible due to engine limitations. They tried it out and the engine was not precise enough to determine the winner of the race. Expect solo courses like the speeder on Ziost but no competitive racing.

2) Not much sense adding another stronghold if the limit stays at 4 since the more strongholds they add, the less players will buy it. So engine limitation also.

3) Like you said, not possible with the engine.

4) Not profitable because they make more money from the Cartel shop than from subscribers. Also not worth the investment.

If Bioware continues down the route they are going they will end up in a situation where the only people they have playing the game will be non-subscribers. There will be a bit of cartel market income of course, but from what I understand subscribers are the big cartel market spenders as well. What happens to the game if only non-subscribers play it in significant numbers? What happens to the jobs of those at Bioware Austin if only non-subscribers play it in significant numbers? Game is shut down, Bioware Austin is shut down and everyone there loses their jobs. That is now a very, very realistic scenario at some point in 2016.

100% agree with you. Things like 12XP force the solo-players to subscribe but outside of that, the main players who subscribe are MMO endgame players who do operations and hardcore PvP. Not sure about the game getting shut down in 2016 but maintenance mode is likely if Fallen Empire does not meet expectations.

Edited by Jerba

New events would be glorious. Less cartel crap and more fleshed out noteworthy expansions would be fabulous too. New starfighter maps would be nice, new warzone maps / gametypes, new IMPROVED strongholds for role players would be fabulous. New mini games like sabacc and pazaak would be great.

Honestly, there is a treasure trove of things they could implement in this game to get the population healthier, but they choose to focus on cartel shinies instead. :rolleyes:

Note what people are thinking as Pre-E3 announcement is part of E3 as well, E3 is not just the exhibitions, it is also the press releases that happen just before.

Anyway considering that E3 announcements are usually about either new or big things, one can safely assume BW will announce something of the sort, something big that deserves an E3 announcement.

Think about this, the other project that BW Austin was working on was scrapped (Shadow Realms), and the developers were switched to SWTOR. However, we have been experiencing content drought. Which could mean their time was being sacrificed to work on something secret. Can't wait for the announcement to figure out what is it.

They wouldn't need to rewrite the whole engine. They could hire a few people to work behind the scene to optimize the LIVING **** out of the engine we currently have. Hiring a few people would not break a major corporation like BW. Then when optimizations were ready for release they could release them with normal scheduled updates.

They could, though it might take months or even a year before we even see a slither of improvements if possible. Keep in mind while, yes, they probably would benefit from a bigger team (would be nice for them not having to choose between PvE & PvP in what gets what content) for bigger work it will still take time for the developers to first learn the engine. As for optimizing the engine it will take even longer then just learning it. I assume it would involve lots of experimentation. Lots of "Will this break the whole engine if I change that?" will still be involved most likely. Lots of debugging & playtesting after that.

The work to be put into possibly optimizing (if there is anything that can be done) probably will be better suited towards a new engine, and if Bioware Austin's last project says anything, they would rather just use Frostbite anyways. To guarantee a huge financial return worth the time & effort it's better to just release a new MMO...

Still a sad thing they had to pick this engine.

Note what people are thinking as Pre-E3 announcement is part of E3 as well, E3 is not just the exhibitions, it is also the press releases that happen just before.

Anyway considering that E3 announcements are usually about either new or big things, one can safely assume BW will announce something of the sort, something big that deserves an E3 announcement.

Think about this, the other project that BW Austin was working on was scrapped (Shadow Realms), and the developers were switched to SWTOR. However, we have been experiencing content drought. Which could mean their time was being sacrificed to work on something secret. Can't wait for the announcement to figure out what is it.

Could be exciting, could be just a quick filler for Bioware's presentation. Could just be a stream on twitch after all the big E3 conference just to announce the second "huge" update. Could be anything, I personally don't want to build too much hype into it. Just so it can't be too disappointing if nothing or wonderful if something big!

Could be exciting, could be just a quick filler for Bioware's presentation. Could just be a stream on twitch after all the big E3 conference just to announce the second "huge" update. Could be anything, I personally don't want to build too much hype into it. Just so it can't be too disappointing if nothing or wonderful if something big!

But BW has never done something similar except with Makeb(first expansion, so it was a special announcement), and that was the only time. My point wasn't to build hype, it was building on what we know. No company announces mediocre things on E3, so whatever is being announced BW thinks it is worthy of E3. However, It could end up being something we really wouldn't care about, or it could be something important to us.

Edited by znihilist

I see possible:

1) 1 or 2 full planets "The size or Hoth hopefully".

2) Two new species release instead of just the one.

3) Level cap raise 10 levels.

4) All new gear to coincide with the level cap being raised.

Now if this all happened then it would be HUGH!!!

Lets Hope..

Edited by Legolose

They wouldn't need to rewrite the whole engine. They could hire a few people to work behind the scene to optimize the LIVING **** out of the engine we currently have. Hiring a few people would not break a major corporation like BW. Then when optimizations were ready for release they could release them with normal scheduled updates.

Optimization rarely has the impact upon a game's performance that the people complaining about the engine want.

Even when code is poorly optimized to begin with, a few years of code optimization might only yield a 1% improvement in performance.

If Bioware had even an inkling of suspicion that a big push into optimization would solve the problems and complaints with performance that players have experienced since launch then don't you think they would have done it already?

100% agree with you. Things like 12XP force the solo-players to subscribe but outside of that, the main players who subscribe are MMO endgame players who do operations and hardcore PvP. Not sure about the game getting shut down in 2016 but maintenance mode is likely if Fallen Empire does not meet expectations.

For endgame players SWTOR already effectively is in maintenance mode. New warzone content just isn't happening at the moment. New operations content has only happened in the context of a paid expansion and one instanced boss on Ziost,. Not exactly much different from what maintenance mode would be. That's why I'm thinking that 2016 will be the crunch point without something radical happening. By then if the current content pace continues people will be fed up to the back teeth with Ravagers and Temple of Sacrifice and thus won't want to subscribe for them; people will still not have had a new warzone and won't want to subscribe for PvP.

That leaves leveling through 12 times XP as the major subscription draw. Thing is that leveling with the XP boost takes only a limited amount of time. So what will happen is that people will level through the XP boost whilst subscribed, get to endgame and find it a dead wilderness. They will then have no reason to subscribe and so will stop. They may even not play the game any more. With the XP boost it will probably take players between 3 and 6 months to run through the vast majority of the story content for the 8 classes. Some more dedicated players will be faster than that and those who will likely go through it slower than that are unlikely to play enough to make it worthwhile subscribing in any case. So if we get a slug of new players coming in following hype about the game connected with The Force Awakens, and a number of them subscribe to take advantage of the XP boost they will probably burn through all the level 1 to 50 content by about 6 months later. That takes us into the first quarter of 2016 or so.

At that point as the Force Awakens players discover what happened to class stories after level 50 attrition will start to bite hard into their numbers. Once they head out of the game in large numbers it won't really have a large source of subscriptions left. PvPers won't subscribe. Raiders won't subscribe. Players naturally coming into the game to do the story won't be in huge numbers to keep up the subscriber base.

What can stop that scenario happening? I really am not sure how it can be stopped.short of the dramatic increase in content outlined in one of my earlier posts. So I reckon that this game is likely to be in the early stages of severe trouble by this time next year and by the end of summer next year needing life support. Fallen Empire had better be something pretty good and dramatic.

While it would be incredibly nice if it was truly a major change or something for the game, I am not expecting anything revolutionary.

All eyes are on ALL Star Wars information this year moreso than any year in this game's history simply because we're getting Episode 7 in the winter. I believe they're just capitalizing on that fact in the hopes to draw people into the game. Not because they truly have something special or unique planned for it.

I'd absolutely love to be proven wrong in this :p

Edited by hadoken

The only reason I'm currently a subscriber is that I bought the Amazon expac bundle that came with 60 days of sub time. When that subscription runs out, I'll happily slide back to preferred status. But I'll likely continue to play, because it's the only sci-fi themed MMO currently available in which I have any interest, & I'm simply sick past my ears of Elves & Dwarves & so on.

Moving forward, beyond 2020, I'm suspicious that the monthly subscription model is a dinosaur that hasn't yet realized it's dying -- not just in this game, but in the MMO genre in general.

I still question whether the announcement being on 6/15/15 means it will be an announcement at E3. I would not be surprised if it was "Update 3.4: Fallen Empire" being announced that day, piggybacking on the hype from E3, but not at the expo itself.

I pretty much expect it to be an Oricon-type update (maybe with one Op instead of two), wrapping up the Rise of the Emperor storyline.

Edited by DarthDymond