Referral link abusers?

Bioware just needs to not be so retarded in designing a referral program intended to bring in new players (or get old ones back) in such a way that it provides benefits for referring people who are already paying to play the game.

What other business has a referral program that pays for referring customers who have already bought the product or service?

Not any with a bit of common sense.

Maybe, but why should new players get the benefits but a current paying player can't have the same? Consider it a bonus for already subbing. I think there should be more rewards for constant paying costumers. A game called City of Heroes offered a reward every 3 months along with an achievement for being subbed. So the longer you subbed the more unique the reward. Each new player who started had to start at the bottom and work there way up. (Veteran players would always have a unique items over new players)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe, but why should new players get the benefits but a current paying player can't have the same? Consider it a bonus for already subbing. I think there should be more rewards for constant paying costumers. A game called City of Heroes offered a reward every 3 months along with an achievement for being subbed. So the longer you subbed the more unique the reward. Each new player who started had to start at the bottom and work there way up. (Veteran players would always have a unique items over new players)

Providing loyalty rewards to ongoing customers is totally different than providing benefits to players getting existing paying customers to click links intended to draw in new players (or bring back old players).

And yes, more (or more diverse) rewards for continuing to sub (or maintaining an ongoing sub) would be welcomed, though one could argue they already provide rewards to subs with the monthly CC, time limited items for subs like speeders, pets, and color crystals, or the current sub only 12X story boost.

Edited by DawnAskham

There is something some of you seem to be missing, which is the credit farming ring. The credit farmers of course will have some paid accounts for such purposes, they will get credits to sell for real money any way they can.

This is how I see it working, the farmers that get the cartel coins from referrals, stack them up until needed, then simply buy 24x packs split them and sell them on the GTN , which makes credits and then move the credits around until they think they can't be traced, then sell them for real money.

So yes there is a real problem with this sort of thing.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Going to start this by saying I have nothing against people who post their referral link in the description.

What this thread IS about it all the players who advertise in gen chat with "Paying 300K for you to click my referral link" who then buy cartel market items and make a fortune which allows them to pay for yet even more referral clicks.

Given that a subscriber get 100cc a month plus 500 instant for the click I have heard of players reaching more than 15K monthly cartel coins alone or more if they go at it for long enough.

surely EA could fix the referral system so it works as it should have for day one, or better yet suspend players who advertise their referral links with large credit bonuses (to a player who is new 350k would be easy money).

Who else is with me these abusers shouldn't get away with this???

Capitalism at its finest. Interestingly enough though, I've never encountered this tactic on my server (Begeren Colony)... Still plenty of credit sellers though...

• 1 month later...
I usually just call them out and tell people not to click it, not that I care I just like bursting the bubble :D

I tell people to find a subscribed friend to trade links with so that they can both get all the rewards.

Edited by KyaniteD

Ok, so dumb question, because until today I'd not really taken any notice of these referral links, how many links can I press?

How many people can press my link?

All The Best

You can refer many, you can be referred only once. Your "referred by" flag is reset after you have not been a subscriber for 90 days.

ETA:

The referral link works for

- people who have at any point in time been a subscriber

- accounts newly created after clicking a referral link

The referral link doesn't work for:

- existing F2P accounts that have never been subscribers.

These players have to subscribe first and click a referral link after subscribing for the link to work and the referral to count.

Edited by KyaniteD

Ok, so dumb question, because until today I'd not really taken any notice of these referral links, how many links can I press?

How many people can press my link?

All The Best

Only one. There has been something said about being able to click a referral again after your sub has lapsed 90 days, but idk how true that is.

its unlimited as to how many can use your link afaik.

Edited by Bobs_YourUncle

Only one. There has been something said about being able to click a referral again after your sub has lapsed 90 days, but idk how true that is.

its unlimited as to how many can use your link afaik.

Well, as many people can press you link as you can get to press it. EACH person can only press it once. :)

Wow. You're all a bunch of petty people. Either that or just plain jealous.

Forum spammers want those referral benefits for free. Of course they resent it when their free referrals are "stolen" by people in-game who actually offers to *pay* for that referral. I have no sympathy for them.

Ok cool :)

Yup, got all 5 rewards in maybe over a week. It's really easy.

Never cared about the droids, but I just wanted the mount for the sake of principle / just to have. I have much better looking mounts anyway lol.

I just add them to my ignore list. As far as I am concerned, they are no better then gold or credit spam. And sometimes I report them as spam.

Same.

Hopefully if enough players decide to report this as spam, BioWare will eventually do something to limit this occuring. The thing in the back of my mind is that these players spamming gen chat are gold sellers trying to gain new forms of revenue, now that they can't simply farm chests 24/7.

Forum spammers want those referral benefits for free. Of course they resent it when their free referrals are "stolen" by people in-game who actually offers to *pay* for that referral. I have no sympathy for them.

The difference is "forum spammers" as you call them, most likely get their referrals because someone....

A. Likes their forum personality

or

B. Is thankful because someone was kind enough to answer a question they asked.

And you've got no sympathy for "forum spammers"...what about that new player who's only been subbed a lil while and doesn't HAVE millions of in game credits to bribe people with? How many people will never even try swtor because poorer players won't even bother posting their referral link anywhere because they figure "I can't afford to pay for referrals so what's the point?"

Or how about when BW eventually decides it's gotten outta control and drops the ban hammer on referral sellers? How do you think THAT will affect the game? Or maybe they'll decide it's not worth the hassle and just eliminates the referral system all together? Would that be good for the game?

If selling your referral link isn't against the TOS, I'm sure it's on the razors edge.

There'd be outrage if a politician was on social media offering $100 to everyone who "clicks his name" on a ballot. Imo people who sell their link are no better.

"I'm offering bribes to those naive enough to bind their username under mine! Subscribers only, please, non-subs are of no value to me..."

Eh, you know what, my very signature is mocking referral farmers, I don't need to mock them twice in one comment. Anyways, I'm glad I'm not the only one who disapproves of their actions. Except for people like Bachannal, who are only opposing this thread because they are obviously a transgressor in the act.

Opponent: "I hate those people who break open vending machines to loot the goods inside."

Proponent: "Oh, you're just upset that you're not strong enough to break the glass. After all, I'm getting free snacks for my effort."

His trying to defend his actions are akin to saying that.

If selling your referral link isn't against the TOS, I'm sure it's on the razors edge.

Selling referral links? You got things twisted 180 degrees, Hoss. Selling a referral link would be "Send me 100k and I will send you my referral link." That's the exact opposite of what actually happens.

There'd be outrage if a politician was on social media offering $100 to everyone who "clicks his name" on a ballot. Imo people who sell their link are no better.

And once again, advance the Inapt Internet Analogy counter by 1. Paying others in game creds to use a referral link does not involve real money, is nothing like an election, referers are not politicians and referees are not voters.

If a user is happy to click a referral link and receive some credits ( and the bonuses that come with it ) what's the problem exactly?

If YOU personally don't like it then Bioware gave you an ignore function to avoid it. You can also report it if you feel it's a breach of any rules though I don't think it is personally, no more spam than that stupid Jawa game people play anyway.

It might come down to how often the advertisement is repeated also if it constitutes spam or not.

I think a lot of this comes down to people being annoyed that some people can afford to pay for referrals where they might not be able to, jealousy is a nasty beast. ;)

If a user is happy to click a referral link and receive some credits ( and the bonuses that come with it ) what's the problem exactly?

If YOU personally don't like it then Bioware gave you an ignore function to avoid it. You can also report it if you feel it's a breach of any rules though I don't think it is personally, no more spam than that stupid Jawa game people play anyway.

It might come down to how often the advertisement is repeated also if it constitutes spam or not.

Exactly. If it's spam, then it's spam, no matter what it is

I think a lot of this comes down to people being annoyed that some people can afford to pay for referrals where they might not be able to, jealousy is a nasty beast. ;)

I believe you are spot on.

I am grateful that random people click mine. I clicked some random guys link when I first played. I feel there is a really good community on this game. And to be friendly and supportive you should find some random post that asks for help and click their link. Call it good karma or what ever.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.