Just removed from a group for being too good

Exactly

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP here.

Turns out it was just bad healers.....and i mean really bad apparently. I wouldnt doubt if they were using improper gear as well, because i have steamrolled every other heroic quest after the one i mentioned a few days ago without any issues of mention.

Feels good being right, i just had a couple of "bad egg" players in my group with mouths on them.

OP here.

Turns out it was just bad healers.....and i mean really bad apparently. I wouldnt doubt if they were using improper gear as well, because i have steamrolled every other heroic quest after the one i mentioned a few days ago without any issues of mention.

Feels good being right, i just had a couple of "bad egg" players in my group with mouths on them.

Yeah, right. Obviously can't be your fault even if it does sound like you were pulling more than the group could handle. You definitely aren't a narcissistic a-hole, either.

Get over yourself and learn to adapt to the situation you are in. No one would kick you from a group for doing your job "too well". Ever.

Why would i lie? Ive had zero issues on any of the heroic missions since and i am lvl 33 now just finishing up alderran and my phase 1 class quests. The healers in the heroic mission in question were undoubtedly terrible and that is blatantly clear to me now a week and 12-15 levels later.

BTW, not using any type of CC in any of the heroic missions, its simply not needed. I just had a REALLY bad experience in my first one, bad luck is all.

Anywho, i am actually enjoying this game now and have zero trepidation in continuing as a tank as i did a week or so ago.

Why would i lie? Ive had zero issues on any of the heroic missions since and i am lvl 33 now just finishing up alderran and my phase 1 class quests. The healers in the heroic mission in question were undoubtedly terrible and that is blatantly clear to me now a week and 12-15 levels later.

BTW, not using any type of CC in any of the heroic missions, its simply not needed. I just had a REALLY bad experience in my first one, bad luck is all.

Anywho, i am actually enjoying this game now and have zero trepidation in continuing as a tank as i did a week or so ago.

I'm glad you got everything worked out, There are still many valid points in this thread for anyone too read :)

Lets put it this way, i have never been so frustrated in a video game in my life, that includes nearly 7 years of world of warcraft...

The noobery that went down is simply mind boggling and unexplainable. At my level i am REQUIRED to bounce aggro around so i dont die, with TWO healers on me one specced for healing properly. This is a lvl 23 QUEST not even a flashpoint. I am all about team work and CC, but at this level and without proper marking tools how is that possible? Its a lvl 23 quest and i was even taking **** that i shouldnt be there, and i was lvl 23!

I just CBA to continue reading but i'm going to say this. This is similiar to WoW, but it's NOT WoW. So in WoW that's what you would do...but it may be different in SW;ToR let's try to keep this in mind before claiming"to be too good"

I think what has been brought up about being a good tank in this game is very true. How it isn't about tanking every single mob at the same time without cc.

I stopped playing WoW at Wrath of the Lichking and now playing a vanguard tank at 30+ lvl I realised I will have to stop emulating the style I am used to from WoW. In WoW WotLK when instance tanking I specifically asked the dps:ers not to cc since it would only slow us down. After instances I used to take pride looking at my meter and seeing the distribution of the percent of damage received in the instance.

In ToR sofar it seems it is better to not hold aggro on everything but it is so hard to break this line of thinking. To me letting someone else in the group take damage is equal to being a bad tank. Is very hard not to taunt over that silvermob who is hitting one of the dps:ers.

Also using CC in a group is often hard to cordinate with random pugs. For example as a vanguard I would prefer to use my aoe "explosive surge" one time before the group members casts their CC:s. But that type of cordination is hard for people to listen too. So instead the CC will be casted immediatelly and thus making it impossible to use the ability if tanking ranged mobs since you have to run so far back to move them away from teh cc:ed ones before you can cast explosive surge.

So all in all this makes it easier to just say "screw cc" I will tank everything.

1: There is a marking system, everyone has it. Nothing to do with an item from a vendor. o.o

2: All the healer classes have at least one form of CC by level 24. If they are an Operative, they have 3. Plus an interrupt. As an operative healer I have incredible utility for control.

3. Why did you have 2 dedicated healers for a heroic? Did you have a 4th person for dps?

4. Were the healers offering any dps or healing? If not, they should have been.

5. Were you just flailing in and mashing your AOE saber WOOOO skillz and breaking the CC?

:p

We dont have the tools (and or crowd control, i know i dont have any at this level) like marking kill targets. Even then tho, if we had tools to mark i still would have got blown up if we didnt have CC.

You do realize you can mark targets, right? Click on them, right click on their portrait

5. Were you just flailing in and mashing your AOE saber WOOOO skillz and breaking the CC?

OMG this ^^

Sometimes I feel Juggy's are like a moth to a flame. They see the little sparkles above my cc'd targets head and think "OHH ME LIKEY SHINEY" and jump in like a Lemur on coke.

In this game, not utilizing CC and failing to rotate between tank targets makes you a bad tank.

Edited by STGrant

We dont have the tools (and or crowd control, i know i dont have any at this level) like marking kill targets. Even then tho, if we had tools to mark i still would have got blown up if we didnt have CC.

1. Target enemy #1
  2. Right click portrait
  3. Select appropriate marker

Markers can also be keybound for easy use.

Sometimes I feel Juggy's are like a moth to a flame. They see the little sparkles above my cc'd targets head and think "OHH ME LIKEY SHINEY" and jump in like a Lemur on coke.

Probably not limited to only SW's but here is some advice for all tanks/DPSers out there. If a target is marked for cc, and cc breaks, don't immediately switch to pick up said target. A smart cc'er (me) will keep an eye on his assigned cc target and reapply cc when necessary. Kinda tough to do that when you guys keep breaking my cc ><

Now if cc isn't reapplied after a few seconds and your healer's getting *****, I'm sorry, you've got a lazy cc'er not paying attention. go ahead and pick up aggro.

I had issues with that sort of thing but as a DPS, all I can say is try to be leveled a bit higher than the quest, if you can get it at lvl 23 then try to be lvl 24 or 25 to do it and make sure that squad mates are in the right lvl range and geared for there role. in most cases they are not geared correctly and not spec'ed correctly. It is a new game we are all trying to figure the best builds for play as for them kicking you out thats bad gameing and you shouldnt worry about them.

Everyone has had a lot of good points to help. Here are my two cents. Everyone has hit on CC so im not even going to go there

1. Just because you had 2 healers does not make you invincible. It means you werent doing enough damage. With that group you cant take too many pulls, you cant kill the mobs fast enough.

2. Make sure you know your class well. Read up, i have, make sure you have a good rotation and have as many buffs activated as possible. Many of your ablilites give you some type of DR. I play as a guardian and this is a biggy.

3. Always, always, always use your interupts. Above the picture of your targeted mob there will be a little bar that pops up when there is an attack you can interupt, do it. This saves you from a ton of damage, and can be the key to not having a wipe.

I'm sorry if you already know this, but even if it isnt new info someone may find it helpful. Hope you can have some fun with this great game, grouping is my favorite thing aout it right now.

To the OP: If that's your definition of being "too good" you should learn to suck, then. When I first read your post I thought you had some sort of strange conceptual dyslexia that caused to you get everything backwards.

I'd kick you too. And you can tell yourself anything you want if it makes you feel better, but here's a clue: if it keeps happening, it's you, not them.

Thanks for the laugh.

Explain how it could have gone better.

We dont have the tools like marking kill targets. Even then tho, if we had tools to mark i still would have got blown up if we didnt have CC.

This is partially right but mostly wrong.

You can mark targets in this game. left click the enemy. the RIGHT click the portrait. there should be one option in that list and it gives your 8 icons to use. it's only available in a group though.

What we need is a way to keybind those marks to allow quicker marking and explanation of marks to the group. If there already is a way to keybind that, I'd love to know how

Edited by drgnmstr_

there is a marking system available if you target a mob and right click its portrait you get the option to mark it with several different kinds of marks so that should not be an issue but as previous posters have said and in most mmo's you need to have a balance of cc's and healers and tanks also for that matter need to pay attention to mob cd's such as the armor reduction cell spoken of in a previous post now i dont know a whole lot about tanking in swtor yet but i assume its fairly similar to most mmo in the fact that if you dont choose your stats/skills properly you will be a poor tank regardless of your actual skill that being said i am NOT bashing you sir/maam but if you are keep aggro on multiple targets but you lack the ability to handle the incoming dmg then something may be wrong with you i make it a habbit of always checking myself if my group fails and i advise all tanks to do the same

Your post is well thought out, so I know you are intelligent. But for the love of the Emperor, please use a freakin period or capital letter every once in a while.

Someone brought up the fact about not being able to mark targets. I seem to recall there being a Social I item on Coruscant that is like "Republic Marking Item." I don't have it either but maybe I'll grab it and see what it does. I think it was also on Ord Mantell for like 500 creds.

This.

I said the same thing as the OP last week. Boy did I feel like an idiot when someone pointed this out w/marking targets. The guy was right. I wasn't marking cc's.

Edited by cioran

Someone brought up the fact about not being able to mark targets. I seem to recall there being a Social I item on Coruscant that is like "Republic Marking Item." I don't have it either but maybe I'll grab it and see what it does. I think it was also on Ord Mantell for like 500 creds.

You CAN mark targets. Right click the mobs portrait and you can set target icons.

The art of tanking: Bind as many mobs you need to ensure victory.

I'm sorry but good tanking is not "i tank every mob that is available!". Especially in swtor you need to decide which mobs you need to tank and which one the dps need to burst down by themselves.

This happens in many instances. it is much easier to just tank the strong mobs and let the weak ones be killed first by dps.

Regarding the nar shaddaa 4-man heroic with the mandalorians, its certainly not the most easiest. We had hard time with 3 over lvl 25 and me tanking at lvl 23 or so. Had to take it very carefully and cc atleast 2 elites of the 3-4 that were attacking. And we had one sage, two scoundrels and me as shadow. Wiped once at the start because we thought that we would have enough healing, turns out we didnt.:cool: Edited by Bainwen

OP here.

Nah it is the heroic area thats simply much more harder then others, there is nothing you can do about those heavy hitting mandalorians except proper cc at those levels its meant to be done.

Yes, you read that correct. We are doing a heroic quest in nar shaddar and even with 2 healers focusing on me they cannot keep me alive, the grp requests me to "dude dont aggro so much" and i was invited as the tank!

I have 5k health at lvl 23 and a decent amount of defense and block, do healers need a buff? Did bioware intend these heroic quests to be two tanked and bouncing aggro all over the place just to survive?

First time ive ever been removed from a grp for being too good at my role. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes, i am starting to think this game may be a bit too hard like others have said in this forum. Maybe healers need a buff....

the grp requests me to "dude dont aggro so much"

And yet you ignored them and continued to pull too much.

I'd have kicked your arrogant *** out sooner.