Loot roll question about a possible hack

ElevenBfour

I was leveling a guardian earlier for fun. Got a group together with a guild and two others from Fleet that wanted to run a few fp's together. Now I've got several 60's, so I'm not worried about loot dropping from lvl30 FP, it didn't seem like anyone really cared except one of the guys.

Anyways, I saw something that was crazy. We ran 4 FP, one guy was there for 3 and a half of them, but he won every single loot roll. I dont' care if it was a random green, or a piece of gear he shouldn't have been able to Need on, he got everything. He was a consular, he was needing everything, Heavy VG armor, everything. We all started needing too, but it didn't matter. It showed our rolls in number on the chat screen, but not hia, it just said he received the item. I started noticing about half way through the first FP that he got everything. Then, of course I couldn't believe he got 100% of the gear you could roll on time and time again through the rest of the FP's we did. Again, yes we were all hitting "Need" by this point just to see if we could get something, we were all just kind of joking about it. He wasn't the group leader btw, my toon was.

So really my question is, was this some kind of hack? We all kept talking about it, no one cared really about the loot, but we all kept mentioning that he was getting everything. He kept saying that it might just be his lucky night.

Any thoughts? Or has anyone ever seen this?

Edited by ElevenBfour

Sounds like he sacrificed some chickens to the RNG gods.

Haha, yeah probably. Again, I could care less about the loot. I usually pass it all anyways, especially if I know there is a new player in the group. We were all just surprised. Never seen anything like that before in any MMO i've played and I've been playing MMO's since Eq1..... yeah I'm old.

Haha, yeah probably. Again, I could care less about the loot. I usually pass it all anyways, especially if I know there is a new player in the group. We were all just surprised. Never seen anything like that before in any MMO i've played and I've been playing MMO's since Eq1..... yeah I'm old.

I believe the term is "Couldn't care less" but I digress. As for the super lucky Consular can't really say too much, maybe if there were some screen shots of it not showing his roll numbers it's really just your word against him without any sort of information.

I believe the term is "Couldn't care less" but I digress. As for the super lucky Consular can't really say too much, maybe if there were some screen shots of it not showing his roll numbers it's really just your word against him without any sort of information.

There you are! They really are in every MMO forum aren't they, just surprised it took this long for one to show up here. Now move along.

It showed our rolls in number on the chat screen, but not hia, it just said he received the item.

So the three of you rolled and he did not and he still got the item?

Did you happened to take a screenshot, would be interesting to see how that looks.

Was it like?

Player A rolls 44

Player B rolls 62

Player C rolls 84

Player D got the item

There you are! They really are in every MMO forum aren't they, just surprised it took this long for one to show up here. Now move along.

His point was valid. You claim something but don't provide supporting information. Its very odd for what you describe to occur, so it would help to have information to see what you were talking about.

That's fair.

Correcting you re: couldn't care less was really no big deal.

You're level of aggression in your reply is out of scale with the post you replied to.

So the three of you rolled and he did not and he still got the item?

Did you happened to take a screenshot, would be interesting to see how that looks.

Was it like?

Player A rolls 44

Player B rolls 62

Player C rolls 84

Player D got the item

No it was like "OP's perception and memory is faulty."

since they took the time to post something "could care less" is probably accurate.

there are probably hundreds of things that they didn't post about which are things they couldn't care less about.

Yeah, because thinking that anyone might hack the game is that unbelievable to you? Or even a bugged character?

Some guy posts something on the internet, without any support other than his say so, and you accept it at face value?

you really think that's more likely than a bug in swtor?

I hope you are trying to be sarcastic.

Edited by branmakmuffin

Some guy posts something on the internet, without any support other than his say so, and you accept it at face value?

Of course not, but I think it had enough details that it piqued my curiosity to the possibility that it may be a hack of some kind.

Of course not, but I think it had enough details that it piqued my curiosity to the possibility that it may be a hack of some kind.

Anyway if we do not see a screenshot the only thing we can do is to either experience it ourselves or read more about it on the forum if other players reporting the same thing. I hope that player dropped a note to Bioware, reporting something like this can be a good thing. One player winning everything 3,5 FPs is as stated above is something that goes against the laws of mathematics.

Either way, time will tell. One player has written about it, perhaps some others will aswell.

Edited by Icestar

Anyway if we do not see a screenshot the only thing we can do is to either experience it ourselves or read more about it on the forum if other players reporting the same thing. I hope that player dropped a note to Bioware, reporting something like this can be a good thing. One player winning everything 3,5 FPs is as stated above is something that goes against the laws of mathematics.

Either way, time will tell. One player has written about it, perhaps some others will aswell.

Exactly. Just something for us to keep our eyes out for and possibly for QA to look into briefly (check the logs).

Details? We have some random guy's claims, not details.

Right. Even if we had screen shots we wouldn't have anything resembling "proof"...and unless you can log into Bioware's database and see what actually happened, you won't get anything more than a story of what happened. Do you have access to their log files?

Right. Even if we had screen shots we wouldn't have anything resembling "proof"...and unless you can log into Bioware's database and see what actually happened, you won't get anything more than a story of what happened. Do you have access to their log files?

No more than you do. So this "debate" is taking place in a vacuum. If the OP really thought something was up, the place to post about was in the bug forum. Or to simply report the suspected behavior.

Most computer "bugs" are user error. This doesn't really qualify as an error on the part of the OP, but the alternative, that someone "hacked" the loot rolling? Those odds are not good, not good at all.

I was leveling a guardian earlier for fun. Got a group together with a guild and two others from Fleet that wanted to run a few fp's together. Now I've got several 60's, so I'm not worried about loot dropping from lvl30 FP, it didn't seem like anyone really cared except one of the guys.

Anyways, I saw something that was crazy. We ran 4 FP, one guy was there for 3 and a half of them, but he won every single loot roll. I dont' care if it was a random green, or a piece of gear he shouldn't have been able to Need on, he got everything. He was a consular, he was needing everything, Heavy VG armor, everything. We all started needing too, but it didn't matter. It showed our rolls in number on the chat screen, but not hia, it just said he received the item. I started noticing about half way through the first FP that he got everything. Then, of course I couldn't believe he got 100% of the gear you could roll on time and time again through the rest of the FP's we did. Again, yes we were all hitting "Need" by this point just to see if we could get something, we were all just kind of joking about it. He wasn't the group leader btw, my toon was.

So really my question is, was this some kind of hack? We all kept talking about it, no one cared really about the loot, but we all kept mentioning that he was getting everything. He kept saying that it might just be his lucky night.

Any thoughts? Or has anyone ever seen this?

It is called the observation bias hack.