Why isn't this game more popular?

davegl

Just wondering, really. I absolutely love it, one of my favourite games ever.

I picked it up at launch, but then stopped after about 6 months due to time constraints in the real world. I've recently re-subbed and am loving it again.

My only complaint would be that the game engine sucks, and the limitations that brings (Illum for example).

I've tried, but have never been able to get into any other MMO's, but do like all Bioware games, so perhaps I fill the niche that Bioware were hoping would be much broader.

I can't help but feel disappointed that it isn't more popular, with the budget being vastly reduced, and so far no class story or companion expansions (which I believe were initially planned).

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried, but have never been able to get into any other MMO's, but do like all Bioware games, so perhaps I fill the niche that Bioware were hoping would be much broader.

I think you have it right here.

In a sense, BW and EA made a "risky" (some non-EA developers have called it this) game, betting that there would be more players that enjoyed the strengths of SWTOR against what most other MMOs offer. Even with the limited engine, it had outstanding leveling classes and story in a Star Wars setting, FPs, Ops, and WZs. GSF would have been waaaaay better had BW had the type of budget at their disposal pre-launch, and I think we would have kept seeing a new WZ with each new Operation as well.

Unfortunately, the players they were looking for weren't there in the millions, alongside an entire generation of people that seemingly expect, not want, goods to be free, even those that are resource intensive to create - music, films, MMO video games, etc.

What everyone else used to save up for and value is now not nearly as, in a sense, worthwhile for too many, because there are plenty of things on the internet to occupy a person's attention for free. Cat videos and whatnot have replaced a good band's ability to live off their music.

In this case, a petty $15 a month for a unique product in the video game market is asking too much.

Edited by arunav

I can't help but feel disappointed that it isn't more popular

It is all about the community and the players, if the community is happy the players speak well of the game and more subscribes.

They might think that the movie will boost their subscription numbers but what it comes down to is what players say and feel about the game.

I think you have it right here.

In a sense, BW and EA made a "risky" (some non-EA developers have called it this) game, betting that there would be more players that enjoyed the strengths of SWTOR against what most other MMOs offer. Even with the limited engine, it had outstanding leveling classes and story in a Star Wars setting, FPs, Ops, and WZs. GSF would have been waaaaay better had BW had the type of budget at their disposal pre-launch, and I think we would have kept seeing a new WZ with each new Operation as well.

Unfortunately, the players they were looking for weren't there in the millions, alongside an entire generation of people that seemingly expect, not want, goods to be free, even those that are resource intensive to create - music, films, MMO video games, etc.

What everyone else used to save up for and value is now not nearly as, in a sense, worthwhile for too many, because there are plenty of things on the internet to occupy a person's attention for free. Cat videos and whatnot have replaced a good band's ability to live off their music.

In this case, a petty $15 a month for a unique product in the video game market is asking too much.

Or rather the target audience was there but they simply rushed out the product with not enoug hendcontent to do anything past the story, thinking reaching level 50 would take 5 months for players and on top of that the engine which can`t handle more than 10 players till first lag issues start to unveild. I would say the target audience is there, was always there but Bioware was simply too naive and failed in those cases I mentioned on launch.

It is all about the community and the players, if the community is happy the players speak well of the game and more subscribes.

In that case every game on the market must being bleeding players left and right considering pretty much every player community for every game spends it's time bashing the game they play.

In that case every game on the market must being bleeding players left and right considering pretty much every player community for every game spends it's time bashing the game they play.

The negativitiy on the swtor forums surpass other forums by far.

You are out of your mind if you are really believing this. Go to IGN and any Destiny article, which btw numbers in 1000's of comments. Most of the comments are bashing the game even though it is the biggest game on consoles right now. Check any CoD article. Same thing.

Any WoW article. Same thing.

Guild Wars is even starting to get flack.

Wildstar is so dead the detractors don't even bother.

ESO is bashed all the time.

Eve gets brief praise followed by how does anyone play that spreadsheet game.

Mass Effect gets bashed for the ending.

Dragon Age gets bashed for the second game.

etc...

I could go down the list of almost every single AAA, AA and A game and you'll find most people are bashing them. And I'm not just talking IGN, but almost every gaming website, subreddit etc...

It is the same thing. I was specifically citing general sites, but if you go into the official game sites the vitriol is even worse because unlike general sites where people just jump on bandwagons and don't know what they are talking about on official sites you have people who go from loving/liking a game to hating a game. This is usually due to the inability to grasp that when you get bored it is healthy to do something else or an unhealthy obsession with the game. You know the whole mantra of "die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain." WoW forums are still bad, Destiny forums are the absolute worst especially after the whole no raids in House of Wolves lol. Mass Effect forums used to be bad, but I haven't been there in awhile.

Negativity is not a rare thing. In fact I'd wager that when a game has no negativity it is usually because there is not much activity. WoW, the granddaddy of all games money wise, has built up the most hatemongering I have ever seen in video games. This has done little to slow its advance and has in fact kept its memory alive and well in everyone.

You are out of your mind if you are really believing this. Go to IGN and any Destiny article, which btw numbers in 1000's of comments. Most of the comments are bashing the game even though it is the biggest game on consoles right now. Check any CoD article. Same thing.

Any WoW article. Same thing.

Guild Wars is even starting to get flack.

Wildstar is so dead the detractors don't even bother.

ESO is bashed all the time.

Eve gets brief praise followed by how does anyone play that spreadsheet game.

Mass Effect gets bashed for the ending.

Dragon Age gets bashed for the second game.

etc...

I could go down the list of almost every single AAA, AA and A game and you'll find most people are bashing them. And I'm not just talking IGN, but almost every gaming website, subreddit etc...

I am not talking about IGN or gamesites. I am talking about other MMO forums.

It is the same thing. I was specifically citing general sites, but if you go into the official game sites the vitriol is even worse because unlike general sites where people just jump on bandwagons and don't know what they are talking about on official sites you have people who go from loving/liking a game to hating a game. This is usually due to the inability to grasp that when you get bored it is healthy to do something else or an unhealthy obsession with the game. You know the whole mantra of "die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain." WoW forums are still bad, Destiny forums are the absolute worst especially after the whole no raids in House of Wolves lol. Mass Effect forums used to be bad, but I haven't been there in awhile.

Negativity is not a rare thing. In fact I'd wager that when a game has no negativity it is usually because there is not much activity. WoW, the granddaddy of all games money wise, has built up the most hatemongering I have ever seen in video games. This has done little to slow its advance and has in fact kept its memory alive and well in everyone.

You are probably right.

Nowhere near as bad as the Star Trek Online forums. The hate spewed there is far, far worse. You've got people who call for everyone connected to the game to be sacked, or hope they die, or... Who knows what else.

But yeah, the constant negativity really doesn't help things in the least, and in fact I believe incites a spiral of decline in communication from the developers.

... I should clarify: Non-constructive negativity. And I include 'Me no likey sorc nerfs, undo, UNDO!!!' in that.

But compare the General Discussion forums of swtor with other games.

Looks about the same to me.

Why does the Imperial Agent/Sabotuer doesn't have Orbital Strike anymore?

Why isn't this game more popular?

Could this mid-range notebook run SW:ToR?

First Grand Statue of Mandalore decoration

June 15 (Fallen Empire teaser) = EA E3 Press Conference

Esstran Exports Reputation Vendor items (for upcoming Explorer Packs)

I

12XP for class missions 4th may Subs only

Go to first new post Teleport bots taking over, Bioware care?

12 x XP for class-missions (

New maps for warzones? Please?

nerf wars the nerfed republic

Yavin IV Stronghold Questions

Why I believe that 12x class experience is a really, really bad idea.

***Feedback for Anaheim Community Cantina***

Party Instigator

Is it a good time to return to the game?

Now I know why the Cantina events no longer want to do Q&A

After more then 20 Weeks, what is with "better then cross-server" ???

STO

another screwed dil weekend

Do you think that ever increasing levels of Power Creep are sustainable? (

Is it time to divorce the New Romulus missions from Romulan Reputation?

The T6 Ship Wishlist

So... why the obsession with the game "ending" suddenly?

Idea for a Heavy Science Deadnought

Xindi Lock Box #2 [lacking Xindi Boffs]

Sorry, we cannot complete your payment at this time

Voth (Race even???) BOffs and DOffs:

So what exactly do we get in Season 10?

Forum Avatar Picture Change Inquiry

Idea's for sto

No more character boundaries

Cross-Faction DOffs for Delta Recruits??

R&D Salviging System

Cryptic, Could various Rep currencies be converted to the new Iconian Marks??? (

Expansion III productions and Wishlist

My personal pet peeve about Delta Recruits

More dailies being removed?

Day 600 Vice Admiral ship token?

STO

/endthread.

Seriously, if people think these are the worst general forums by far, go play other games and visit their forums. I'm on 4 different game forums, and this is the lightest by far. Perspective is a good thing. You should have witnessed ST when delta rising first came out. This forum is light hearted jabs compared to that.

Games get criticized for being rehashes and the same drivel, people complain about wanting something more intuitive. But when a game comes out that is intuitive, people complain that they don't like the new direction and want to stay in their comfort zone.

The gaming industry and its player base will never be satisfied because we are all playing out fantasies of what we cant do in real life, so there will always be an element of thinking it could be better. But thats not how it works i guess. As for Swtor, it is a good game, but the direction it 'could' have gone in 'could' have been so much better. Saying that, it is the only MMO I have really stuck with, and its only just under four years old, I cant seem to get into any other MMOs now cus I cant stand the lack of story. But yet again, look at what the story has turned into at high level content, its a no win situation.

Just wondering, really. I absolutely love it, one of my favourite games ever.

I picked it up at launch, but then stopped after about 6 months due to time constraints in the real world. I've recently re-subbed and am loving it again.

My only complaint would be that the game engine sucks, and the limitations that brings (Illum for example).

I can't help but feel disappointed that it isn't more popular, with the budget being vastly reduced, and so far no class story or companion expansions (which I believe were initially planned).

I love this game also.. Still lot of things they could have done better...

Planetary trash quests never needed to be voice acted. The idea of fully voice acted mmo was cool, but that is just a waste of everyones time. Including theirs. Its ridiculous how much time and resources they spent on them. I dont think I have watched them since the second planet of my first character. Well tbh I dont even do them anymore.

Heroics should have been done better. More story based, better boss mechanics, better rewards, and easier to pick right when you hit the planet the first time. Maybe even heroic quest chains. They should have been more like mini flashpoints. Actually some of my best experiences in this game have been planetary heroic runs with pugs, but it could have been much more fun if... see above.

Just couple of things there that I have been thinking about.

Of course the game needed group finder from the beginning, problems with game engine, lack of end game content etc are big reasons why so many players left after couple of months. But those were never big issues for me. (besides lack of group finder would have been if I were here from the beginning).

edit: Oh almost forgot, no pazaak :)

Edited by HakkaP

STO

Thank you for taking the time to compile that list. I think it proves that some people only see what they want to see. If you want to see negativity, it's easy to find...if you want to find helpful players, I believe that is also quite easy to find.