Bioware working on MMO set in EU time period..

Lendrick

So why can't I as a casual be force sensitive? The whole idea of restricting an entire aspect of game play to a few people is stupid. If I want to be a jedi I should get to be a jedi.

I'd rather see somthing like quest lines that get more and more difficult to increase your rank (eg youngling, padawan, knight, master, council master, grand master) that can take dedication. But dont Lock Out The Entire class To Just The dedicated few.

I agree that I don't think locking it out is the right move, my point is that if they insisted on locking down Jedi this would be a better way.

The reason for locking it out is because it doesn't make sense with the canon to have 8 bazillion Jedi/Sith in a small area when:

A. The Jedi were nearly wiped out by Vader, even in the new movies it's unlikely the Jedi order would be expansive, but we'll see.

B. The Sith follow the rule of two limiting their numbers to 2....

That's why SWG did it, to fit in with the cannon that Jedi should be extremely rare, easy to do in single player, hard if not impossible with an MMO. This is one of the reasons the Old Republic timeline worked so much better, there were large numbers of both Jedi and Sith in this time frame.

As others have mentioned limiting Jedi ultimately didn't work well for SWG. It pissed off a lot of players as the concept pisses off the person I quoted. Also it made it so that if you did become a Jedi the game became almost unplayable because anywhere you go you were mobbed by larger numbers of players attacking you to have the fame of killing a Jedi.

Edited by Arlon_Nabarlly

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it always funny when people still think the old Bioware exists. Bioware is EA, there is no difference between them.

And also this is why a KOTOR 3 would and should never happen. Not only because of the current MMO but also because I am certain this new Bioware wouldn`t be able to pull of a great single player rpg on the level of KOTOR.

I agree that I don't think locking it out is the right move, my point is that if they insisted on locking down Jedi this would be a better way.

The reason for locking it out is because it doesn't make sense with the canon to have 8 bazillion Jedi/Sith in a small area when:

A. The Jedi were nearly wiped out by Vader, even in the new movies it's unlikely the Jedi order would be expansive, but we'll see.

B. The Sith follow the rule of two limiting their numbers to 2....

That's why SWG did it, to fit in with the cannon that Jedi should be extremely rare, easy to do in single player, hard if not impossible with an MMO. This is one of the reasons the Old Republic timeline worked so much better, there were large numbers of both Jedi and Sith in this time frame.

As others have mentioned limiting Jedi ultimately didn't work well for SWG. It pissed off a lot of players as the concept pisses off the person I quoted. Also it made it so that if you did become a Jedi the game became almost unplayable because anywhere you go you were mobbed by larger numbers of players attacking you to have the fame of killing a Jedi.

You make me sound angrier than I am lol. Yes, according to the lore and movies there is the rule of two and the jedi are "wiped out" now I will be mentioning OLD cannon here but:

What about star killer? A third sith

what about all those jedi who survived (shaak Tii Kota obiwan)

What about the inquisitor from rebels?

The jedi order rebuilt its numbers pretty quick as well.

also it's possible to be force sensitive and aligned with neither sith or jedi, eg dathomir witches.

It's possible to have a lot of force sensitive even if they are "wiped out"

And when it comes to the story thing earlier what I meant is, it will be difficult (not impossible) to make an ever changing game with new story, killable villains, and fun content when your restricted by what is being made cannon by the movies and new books.

Look at swtor, we had amazing story with fun and unique characters none of which HAVE to survive for episode 1 to happen. so we can kill the emperor, we can kill our rivals, we can kill major characters like the supreme chancellor. It doesn't matter, because they can be replaced with a new one.

But in the eu, as of now, a lot of characters have to stay alive for the movies to work. Luke, leia, han, chewy, ackbar, etc all need to be around for their potential roles. same with any new long term villains.

Again this isn't impossible but it will be difficult. Because of that I doubt any developer will want to venture into this.

Now a single player game that needs no new story every six months or so, that could happen. And I'd honestly rather see that.

Edited by Tfranco

We know they cancelled their project to put more people working on Old Republic (or was that just a misleading tidbit, those people ARE working on a star wars project....)

No lol, they cancelled Shadow Realms because it was a flop, it had zero to do with SWTOR. Austin is a very disposable office these days.

You're fantasizing a bit too much son.

You make me sound angrier than I am. Yes, according to the lore and movies there is the rule of two and the jedi are "wiped out" now I will be mentioning OLD cannon here but:

What about star killer? A third sith

what about all those jedi who survived (shaak Tii Kota obiwan)

What about the inquisitor from rebels?

The jedi order rebuilt its numbers pretty quick as well.

also it's possible to be force sensitive and aligned with neither sith or jedi, eg dathomir witches.

It's possible to have a lot of force sensitive even if they are "wiped out"

Were there other Jedi and Sith, absolutely. Vader and Palpetine both had secrete apprentices for example. There were other Jedi hiding in exile like Yoda. But that's the thing, they were all in hiding or being hidden. Also there was still a very small number of them. You didn't just walk on to Tatooine and see 37 lightsabers before you even exit the spaceport....

And when it comes to the story thing earlier what I meant is, it will be difficult (not impossible) to make an ever changing game with new story, killable villains, and fun content when your restricted by what is being made cannon by the movies and new books.

Look at swtor, we had amazing story with fun and unique characters none of which HAVE to survive for episode 1 to happen. so we can kill the emperor, we can kill our rivals, we can kill major characters like the supreme chancellor. It doesn't matter, because they can be replaced with a new one.

But in the eu, as of now, a lot of characters have to stay alive for the movies to work. Luke, leia, han, chewy, ackbar, etc all need to be around for their potential roles. same with any new long term villains.

Again this isn't impossible but it will be difficult. Because of that I doubt any developer will want to venture into this.

Now a single player game that needs no new story every six months or so, that could happen. And I'd honestly rather see that.

They would be doing it wrong if they used only or primarily characters from the new movies. This game would be something like Shadows of the Empire on 64 was. Where for the most part the main characters are referenced and appear in cameos, but the main characters in the game are either not in the movies or are not critical to the movies. For example dealing more with underlings of the main bad guy who occasionally have holocalls to the main bad guy. Find out more details about how their plans are being set up, etc. This is a staple of video game / movie interaction at this point and it's pretty common for the movie producers to give the game company specific plot points they want them to address that won't be in the movie. A great example of this is Enter the Matrix.

Also just because you have a battle with an enemy doesn't mean it needs to end in death.

How many times has Kephis been a boss? I'm still holding out hope that Darth Malgus wasn't actually killed and will return. The Emperor?

I don't see any of the concerns you brought up being significant, if they do it right those would all be non-issues.

I'm going to point out that the EU doesn't exist anymore. It was the choice of LFL and Disney so they could write new story that wasn't beholden to 20+ years of lore.

I also want to point out that having another game in direct competition with your current subscription based game for the same audience isn't a smart practice. If you see mention of another Star Wars MMORPG in development it will be the first indicator that SWTOR isn't printing money for EA anymore and the servers are about to be repurposed.

Rather see a Mass Effect mmoRPG then another Star Wars mmoRPG to be honest

God yes. I'd love to play as a turian, Krogan, or even a quarian (if they give the option of masked or maskless) especially since ME4 will again have a human MC.

I'm only here for the class stories and rpg elements. Personally...I'll NEVER touch another mmo. Even one with the SW brand. I'm a SP-RPG type gamer who'd rather play by myself with a controller than a keyboard and mouse. And any SW game that'd only give me a miniscule chance of being a force user would be ignored immediately.

So if they do make another SW mmo, y'all enjoy it. I'll just wait on the SW SP-RPG.

Well EA/Bioware owns the rights and if you play other MMOs AND turn off what happened pre f2p transition this MMO is actually better, at least imo than most out there. I mean real MMO's btw AND from a PvE perspective... Rift, Aion, WildStars etc. WoW I would say is the excepton BT the also have a MUCH bigger budget, but even they are suffering... they expect a pretty big drop in subs once the expac bump wears off... because they are expecting a rather noticable drop in Asian subscriptions (per their last financial report at least).

Wrong.Please do your Homework.

EA has the License to hire more game makers to make more Star Wars games.You will Learn this in about three weeks on the 17th of this month when we see Dice at Star Wars Celebration showing off there new Star Wars Battlefront game,which has been in development for 3 years based off of Direct X 12,As well We Will Learn about the new Visceral open world Star Wars game that Visceral has been developing.We should also learn about Titan Fall and how they split up the Development team into two teams,one being lead by the guy that was in charge of God of War Three.This new Titan fall team is working on a new star wars game.There are rumors we will learn about even more Star wars games being developed at Star Wars Celebration on the 16th through the 19 of this month in Anaheim Ca.

EA has the License to hire more game makers to make more Star Wars games.You will Learn this in about three weeks on the 17th of this month when we see Dice at Star Wars Celebration showing off there new Star Wars Battlefront game,which has been in development for 3 years based off of Direct X 12,As well We Will Learn about the new Visceral open world Star Wars game that Visceral has been developing.We should also learn about Titan Fall and how they split up the Development team into two teams,one being lead by the guy that was in charge of God of War Three.This new Titan fall team is working on a new star wars game.There are rumors we will learn about even more Star wars games being developed at Star Wars Celebration on the 16th through the 19 of this month in Anaheim Ca.

Both DICE and Visceral are EA subsidiaries meaning that it's basically EA with a different hood ornament to barrow the earlier analogy so I fail to see your point.

You need to do YOUR homework actually... I will just copy my prior response...

Bioware IS EA. At this point Bioware is nothing more than the difference between slapping a GMC instead of Chevy on a car. EA controls who works there...they control (ultilmately) what direction Bioware goes in just as GM controls those things with the execs of GMC and Chevy. It is in essence the video game version of a hood ornament. The people that made Bioware what it was pre-acquisition are for the most part gone last I checked. the people left are those who wanted to stay and who wanted to play to EA's tune.

This applies to the "labels" you noted as well. Companies like EA don't buy companies for the "creative talent"... they have the money to poach people they want at will. They buy them to get Intellectual property and a Hood Ornament with Cred. A perfect example of this is the shut down of Shadow Realms. EA said "cancel that and double down on getting new content into SWTOR" basically because they want to capitalize on the release of Episode VII later this year.

Edited by Ghisallo

No lol, they cancelled Shadow Realms because it was a flop, it had zero to do with SWTOR. Austin is a very disposable office these days.

You're fantasizing a bit too much son.

How is a game a "flop" when it is never released? What happened was they said "hey we have some major hurdles to overcome in this game we are better off (and I quote the Austin GM here)

We’ve made the decision to not move forward with development of Shadow Realms," wrote Hickman in a post on the official site. He went on to explain that "right now there are other projects for the team to work on within the BioWare studios for the coming year and beyond," citing Star Wars: The Old Republic as the biggest focus, followed by Dragon Age: Inquisition, the next Mass Effect game, and "other new IP."

This was actually posted earlier in the thread too. This decision was actually made by EA as well because with the new Movie coming out they want to double down on the IP.

Edited by Ghisallo

have it take cues from SWG, (such as no classes, skill based and the ability to be a "force sensitive" (small % chance during character creation) and to make it REALLY difficult to be a Jedi (as I am sure the Pre-CU SWG hardcore fans would agree).

Hey, another "How come TOR is not SWG?" thread.

Edited by branmakmuffin

Hey, another "How come TOR is not SWG?" thread.

Yeah especially since the "original" SWG was losing a lot of subscribers BEFORE the CU and NGE.

here is where rose tinted glasses come in. SWG failed, sadly imo, because most MMO gamers don't want the complications of a non-class skill based system, they don't want a sandbox and the random chance that maybe... JUST maybe you can randomly luck out and be Jedi. They want to log in, be able to figure out things failure easily, play what they want to play and RELAX. So lots of people joined saying "hey it's Star Wars" then lots of people left saying "dang this is a PITA, I play games to relax and veg out".

LucasArts didn't like that and said "fix it" BUT a combination of "too late" and a heavy handed change in the NGE simply made matters worse. (The CU was annoying but not really a deal breaker for most.)

Smedly always gets delusional with his changes, his ideas are always the best ideas. NGE was intended to and did bring back some players that left BUT it chased away many of the players that stayed at SWG because they liked it the way it was. A more "moderated" version of the NGE may have resulted in old players coming back without chasing the ones who "liked things the way they were" away.

(PS if people want to know why I say most people don't want a Sandbox MMO, at least in the west where for the most part they have consistently failed, I will elaborate but I thought that would be a derail.)

Edited by Ghisallo

Creates thread with click bait title...then proceeds to provide pure speculation in post. Ah, I see. Just another day in the life of posters on SWTOR forums. Misinformed and speculation wielding. Please, accept the fact that SWG is gone and it is highly unlikely except for by the grace of God (read as Disney/EA and maybe Sony) that you will ever ever EVER see anything resembling SWG in your lifetime. Its over, its dead, its gone (minus the emulator of course).

And thank the Force it is so. It is unfortunate that the blight on the gaming industry lasted as long as it did. SWG was pure garbage start to finish. I wasted far too many hours trying to find something redeeming about the game and failed to do so. It's long past time that the rose-colored fools realized it.

I am hoping that BIOWARE is working in secret on a EU time period Star Wars MMO, with the upcoming Episode VII, it is the perfect time to really capitalize on the new found hype and interest. I would say use something like either the Unreal Engine 4 or a highly modified HERO engine, have it take cues from SWG, (such as no classes, skill based and the ability to be a "force sensitive" (small % chance during character creation) and to make it REALLY difficult to be a Jedi (as I am sure the Pre-CU SWG hardcore fans would agree).

Have an actual, proper space simulation (with up gradable ships) and keep what is good about what BIOWARE does best (story). If they have (hopefully) been working in secret on it during the last couple of years, (it could be due to be launched between episodes VII and VIII - so 2016 - 2017).

We know they cancelled their project to put more people working on Old Republic (or was that just a misleading tidbit, those people ARE working on a star wars project....)

Here's hoping, I for one, would be there day one!

As at least one other has said. Disney KILLED the EU by making it "Legends" and ANYTHING that comes out from here on out WILL BE CANON.....planned books have already been canceled that were set in the "old EU" (now legends) continuity. WE WILL NOT GET ANYTHING FROM THE EU (Legends)

That alone kills your "wish" So don't lie to yourself.

Second EA isn't going to give BIoWare the budget to do another MMO after SWTOR was botched so bad it had to go f2p in record time. Regardless of it making a decent profit now.

And even if EA DID give BioWare the budget/go-ahead on another SW MMO it would be set within the new films workings/lore and have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the EU (Legends) stuff.

We're not even sure if BioWare can do anything else with the KOTOR timeline outside of this game because of disney's stance on the EU and all things going forward being canon. Unless Disney decides to make SWTOR canon we may not even see anything else, ever, outside of SWTOR set in the KOTOR period we know now.

What makes you think it would be a step back? BIOWARE know what they are doing, they are learning from their past mistakes and improving the game. Look at each subsequent expansion for SWTOR? Each one has improved and expanded the game. Now, switch time periods, hell, if they said we are bringing out SWTNR (Star Wars The New Republic) and it was essentially this game, with new classes, new stories (and the EXACT same graphics engine - just set after Episode VII - I would play it!)

People hate to speculate on things when they arn't announced yet, once upon a time, when all there was was SWG and a little game called Knights of the Old Republic, if people back then said "Hey, I would love a story driven, fully voiced MMO like WOW but set in the Old Republic time period", you would have been criticized for that wild wishes.

And look where we are now?!

yah highlighted stuff.

About the WORST thing you can bring up if you're gonna argue that BioWare has "learned from their mistakes" and are vastly improving the game.

We went from 8 class stories all tied together and every side-quest voice-acted. to Makeb with ONE story for EACH side. To SoR where we got ONE story regardless and most quests are dolled out in WoW-style txt boxes.

That's stepping BACK...NOT forward.

yah highlighted stuff.

About the WORST thing you can bring up if you're gonna argue that BioWare has "learned from their mistakes" and are vastly improving the game.

We went from 8 class stories all tied together and every side-quest voice-acted. to Makeb with ONE story for EACH side. To SoR where we got ONE story regardless and most quests are dolled out in WoW-style txt boxes.

That's stepping BACK...NOT forward.

Well here is the thing... Bioware's metrics said their "mistake" was not having enough end game content. They specifically said this at the GDC 2013. As such reducing the number of story lines...and spending dev resources of FP's and OP's is the proper ction. Some may not like it but it is the only logical response to their datamining. So if you are a "stereotypical" amount of end game content driven MMOer Bioware's change in direction is a good thing.

And in SoR each class did have an individual quest on Rishi.

Edited by Ghisallo

Well here is the thing... Bioware's metrics said their "mistake" was not having enough end game content. They specifically said this at the GDC 2013. As such reducing the number of story lines...and spending dev resources of FP's and OP's is the proper ction. Some may not like it but it is the only logical response to their datamining. So if you are a "stereotypical" amount of end game content driven MMOer Bioware's change in direction is a good thing.

And in SoR each class did have an individual quest on Rishi.

point out all this "new" end-game content then? SOR still came with less. it's still a step backwards. Your argument is still an oxymoron. What you're saying doesn't even match up with the reality we get/got.

And Ziost appears to follow this trend from what I've read about it.

Sooo..yah.

And please...yes each class had a quest on Rishii...that took all of 10 mins to do. bringing those up just adds more fuel to my point and hurts yours more.

Edited by Suromir

point out all this "new" end-game content then? SOR still came with less. it's still a step backwards. Your argument is still an oxymoron. What you're saying doesn't even match up with the reality we get/got.

And Ziost appears to follow this trend from what I've read about it.

Sooo..yah.

And please...yes each class had a quest on Rishii...that took all of 10 mins to do. bringing those up just adds more fuel to my point and hurts yours more.

Stop thinking WoW or other "old school" MMOs where they drop a huge expac on yeah and then maybe a little something mid way through the dev cycle. Think instead of an that one drop the entire life of 3.X.

We got how many more FPs and OPs already... there will be more this month with 3.2. They are clearly adopting a philosophy of faster dev cycles with the content handed out in smaller batches. Think the difference between the person that east 3 big meals a day and the person who eats in the work out" recommended 4- 5 smaller meals a day.

This is a new trend in MMOs but it is something a lot of MMOs are doing now. Instead of a HUGE Expac then wait 12-18 months for the next one essentially spread the release of that expac out over the course of an entire development year....Hell most of 3.2 had to be in the can already...no way they are generating an entire world (even if it is only the size of yavin 4) with more FPS and likely at least one OP in just a couple months.

At launch they had ONE OP, thats it 1... Here we got as many hardmode FPs as launch (at least) 2 OPs and there are going to more with 3.2...there almost has to be because they are going to up gear.

You may not do FPs and Ops... you may have wanted this to be a BW: Tor game on-line (maybe not but that is the feeling I get)... and I get that but it was the lack of that endgame content that the "I quite" surveys after launch that informed this decision. So they are going for that crowd.

Edited by Ghisallo