Is BiowEAr embarrassed by their own triple-A MMO??

Friend-Referral

last i recall...last update this game will ever get is this Summer.

The Contract for SWTOR hasent been renewed and is coming up in few months. which they are Renewed by now enless they plan to shut the game down...hate to say it but even Devs have hinted at it on stream awhile back that Tors story was ending soon & another game will take its place. they have no reason to respond anymore.

its clear somethings up much like way SWG ended....they pushed alot content in span of few months. then gave everyone 3 months to enjoy it.

Fact is SWTOR hasent made enuff money in EA's Eyes to be worth on to keep investing. they have to constantly Shell out alot of money just to renew. EA hates this & has a bad track record & BW is non existant with its Playerbase

i see F2P games no Subs that make less get more updates & better servers then TOR and have devs always responding..

BW/EA arnt Embarr...they just dont feel like responding on the ****** mess they made.

1 Untitled SW game coming out by Disney thats sopost to be a MMO. that fits to timeline of movies & heres a hint...Old republic has No Timeline between both thus most likely this is last content this year TOR will get before its shutoff...

its not hard to look at the fake smile on the devs & all the stuff they say here/there like SOE did

TOR did pretty awful & its sales are not very big to be worth it. they have just got done making its cash back awhile back from the funding they put into the game...most games make their funding the first 6 months not 2 years later

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Contract for SWTOR hasent been renewed and is coming up in few months. which they are Renewed by now enless they plan to shut the game down...hate to say it but even Devs have hinted at it on stream awhile back that Tors story was ending soon & another game will take its place. they have no reason to respond anymore.

its clear somethings up much like way SWG ended....they pushed alot content in span of few months. then gave everyone 3 months to enjoy it.

Fact is SWTOR hasent made enuff money in EA's Eyes to be worth on to keep investing. they have to constantly Shell out alot of money just to renew. EA hates this & has a bad track record & BW is non existant with its Playerbase

i see F2P games no Subs that make less get more updates & better servers then TOR and have devs always responding..

BW/EA arnt Embarr...they just dont feel like responding on the ****** mess they made.

1 Untitled SW game coming out by Disney thats sopost to be a MMO. that fits to timeline of movies & heres a hint...Old republic has No Timeline between both thus most likely this is last content this year TOR will get before its shutoff...

its not hard to look at the fake smile on the devs & all the stuff they say here/there like SOE did

TOR did pretty awful & its sales are not very big to be worth it. they have just got done making its cash back awhile back from the funding they put into the game...most games make their funding the first 6 months not 2 years later

WRONG.. EA/Bioware signed a contract with Disney after Disney got the rights for 10 more years... in 2013 so EA and Bioware (for good or bad) will be doing this stuff until at least the year I retire. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-06-ea-signs-multi-year-star-wars-deal

Additionally if a game that in 2013 and 2014 was in the top ten earners (both years over 100 million) isn't enough money I am confused.

there is a BIG difference between TOR and SWTOR. TOR was basically revan... they just killed him (thank freaking god) that has littel to do with where they can take this particular game though.

You also miss something going on in the industry as a whole... shorter dev cycles are becoming the norm for everyone but WoW... push out small to medium sized content bits instead of single GIANT bits is becoming the standard because of ho fast players consume content in an MMO.

PLEASE do your research before you make assumptions. It's simply annoying to read things that actually fly in the face of demonstrable and even documented facts.

Edited by Ghisallo

I love this part of your post. Pretty much saying different people view things with a different perspective or lens. Granted I don't think most PVPers specifically are calling cut scene guys fanbois. More like they are calling fellow PVPers who are fine with the current state of PVP fanbois. The perspective thing still holds true in that scenario as well however.

retty much... but too many people remove their rl hat and put on thir virtual nerd rage "give ME what I want" hat when they log into a video game. I wonder how they do that because I am who I am 24/7

Apparently, just making things up is the new things on the forum eh? :rolleyes:

Apparently, just making things up is the new things on the forum eh? :rolleyes:

Pretty much since the contract was renewed 2 freaking years ago and the entire baseless diatribe is based on the fact this contract was somehow never signed....

Idiots or trolls...it can be hard to tell the difference.

Edited by Ghisallo

thats what i have heard too.

i really don't see this game making it another year with the money it's lost. right now its at warhammer levels of players and dev time. and i think disney knows that a swg pre-cu like game is what the mmo community wants.

sadly you'll have a ton of people tell you that you are wrong however i think you hit the nail on the head.

thats what i have heard too.

i really don't see this game making it another year with the money it's lost. right now its at warhammer levels of players and dev time. and i think disney knows that a swg pre-cu like game is what the mmo community wants.

sadly you'll have a ton of people tell you that you are wrong however i think you hit the nail on the head.

lol, whatever you have to tell yourself to keep from crying yourself to sleep at night over galaxies closing bud. :rolleyes:

Pretty much since the contract was renewed 2 freaking years ago and the entire baseless diatribe is based on the fact this contract was somehow never signed....

Idiots or trolls...it can be hard to tell the difference.

Ah the fanboy at it again. Every single thread that bashes this game, you will find this chap. Posting endless pieces of crap. Go back to your single player game.

lol, whatever you have to tell yourself to keep from crying yourself to sleep at night over galaxies closing bud. :rolleyes:

At least Galaxies made it to 8 years as a fully PAID to play MMO. How long did swtor last? 6 months wasnt it?

Edited by GrimRita

WRONG.. EA/Bioware signed a contract with Disney after Disney got the rights for 10 more years... in 2013 so EA and Bioware (for good or bad) will be doing this stuff until at least the year I retire. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-06-ea-signs-multi-year-star-wars-deal

Additionally if a game that in 2013 and 2014 was in the top ten earners (both years over 100 million) isn't enough money I am confused.

there is a BIG difference between TOR and SWTOR. TOR was basically revan... they just killed him (thank freaking god) that has littel to do with where they can take this particular game though.

You also miss something going on in the industry as a whole... shorter dev cycles are becoming the norm for everyone but WoW... push out small to medium sized content bits instead of single GIANT bits is becoming the standard because of ho fast players consume content in an MMO.

PLEASE do your research before you make assumptions. It's simply annoying to read things that actually fly in the face of demonstrable and even documented facts.

As much as I don't like Disney, if the product isn't living up to their standards, they will likely fire the whole dev team (I really hope they do) and getting people who give a ****.

But what exactly was said... Not paraphrase...exact words....

After that you have to look at the context of the times in which the statements were made...

Then look to see if that context remained the status quo.

Is this anal retentive? Yes but if you read my response above this is what we deal with irl everyday.. A promise is only broken when it is A) specific and B) when the circumstances that existed when the promise was made remains largely unchanged. In other words the person has to break a promise. Circumstances changing so that the promise, sadly, becomes impractical or even impossible is not a broken promise.

So if you care to answer the questions I posted first, I would be glad to see them. I am one of those people who when I see facts, they can change my opinion and I say "mae culpa." Right now I see a company that has indeed made statements that have created expectations that have not been fulfilled. In the emo filled world of gaming this is often a risky prospect. However creating an expectation is NOT the same as making a promise.

From you all I have seen are claims with no details followed by the good old standby..."fanboi"... Retort when someone tries to actually ask questions or make statements based of fact and reason.

http://dulfy.net/2012/03/05/swtor-guild-summitlive-blogging/#3

Feel free to read through the transcript, and pick out any NUMEROUS amount of things that were promised to be coming, which never saw the light of day. If you want more, you can feel free to research yourself, but it isn't hard to find more of what they promised that NEVER was delivered.

Specifically -

Cross Server Queue

The Ability to PICK WHATEVER WARZONE YOU WANT TO PLAY!

I couldn't find the link but according to Forbes this game came in second behind wow for profits last quarter. I would not call that a failure.

justin bieber is one of the most famous singers in the world. i wouldn't call that a failure.

At least Galaxies made it to 8 years as a fully PAID to play MMO. How long did swtor last? 6 months wasnt it?

And? TOR has made more money in its 3 years than galaxies did in its entire lifespan. If a f2p option had been available, they'd have probably jumped all over it.

Ah the fanboy at it again. Every single thread that bashes this game, you will find this chap. Posting endless pieces of crap. Go back to your single player game.

What's funnier? Calling him a fan boy for enjoying an actively developed game? Or being a blind fan boy for a game that is the biggest cautionary tale in the industry for what you shouldn't do in development. Galaxies was far better in death than it ever was in life.

And? TOR has made more money in its 3 years than galaxies did in its entire lifespan. If a f2p option had been available, they'd have probably jumped all over it.

TOR and galaxies are completely different games though...they have different skill levels and also one of them came out in 2003.

Then galaxies had that upgrade which upset a lot of players and the numbers went down because of it. Anyway swtor wouldn't be successful without the star wars title on it, not to mention technology and the games industry has changed since 2003 giving people easier access to games and games information. It's silly to compared a game launched in 2003 with a game launched in 2011.

To the people comparing this game to WoW re: content, let's remember that WoW is 10 or 11 years old and this game is what, three or four? Let's see what this game looks like at the ten year mark, if we reach it. Then we can compare it to WoW's ten year mark, content and bugwise.

That's like comparing the beatles to taylor swift...completely different people, completely different time periods, different publicity.

Wows 10 year mark is going to be different than swtors 10 year mark. And it's utterly pointless to compare both of them because a lot of things will change from now to 2021.

TOR and galaxies are completely different games though...they have different skill levels and also one of them came out in 2003.

Then galaxies had that upgrade which upset a lot of players and the numbers went down because of it. Anyway swtor wouldn't be successful without the star wars title on it, not to mention technology and the games industry has changed since 2003 giving people easier access to games and games information. It's silly to compared a game launched in 2003 with a game launched in 2011.

If you're going to make the claim that TOR can't make it without the Star Wars name, then the same could be said for galaxies. Had it not had the name, it would not have made it half as long as it did. That argument holds no water.

If you're going to make the claim that TOR can't make it without the Star Wars name, then the same could be said for galaxies. Had it not had the name, it would not have made it half as long as it did. That argument holds no water.

But you cant compare 2 completely different mmo's that were launched years apart. that argument holds no water either.

That's like comparing the beatles to taylor swift...completely different people, completely different time periods, different publicity.

Wows 10 year mark is going to be different than swtors 10 year mark. And it's utterly pointless to compare both of them because a lot of things will change from now to 2021.

But the Beatles are better than Taylor Swift. That's not really a subjective statement.

As much as I don't like Disney, if the product isn't living up to their standards, they will likely fire the whole dev team (I really hope they do) and getting people who give a ****.

That is not how a contract works.

Star Wars is the intellectual property of Disney. SWTOR is the intellectual property of EA. EA has a contract with Disney to allow EA to use the Star Wars IP in SWTOR as outlined by the contract. Even if Disney could prove that EA was in breach of contract, SWTOR would remain the IP of EA. They just would not be able to continue using the Star Wars IP that Disney owns, so the game would shut down. However, the only way Disney would be able to give SWTOR to another game studio is if Disney bought or leased the IP from EA.

Galaxies was far better in death than it ever was in life.

I loved SWG! By far one of the most amazing games I'll ever play and probably one of the finest MMOs that will ever exist...but...it was ruined by greed and never fulfilled a fraction of its potential. It was as mismanaged as anything could be.

Your quote couldn't be more accurate. Smed was brilliant to shut it down because now it only lives on in players memories, and unpleasant memories fade more quickly than the emotion associated with positive events...I have MANY fond ones of SWG, but I also know how many flaws the game had that were never addressed.

http://dulfy.net/2012/03/05/swtor-guild-summitlive-blogging/#3

Feel free to read through the transcript, and pick out any NUMEROUS amount of things that were promised to be coming, which never saw the light of day. If you want more, you can feel free to research yourself, but it isn't hard to find more of what they promised that NEVER was delivered.

Specifically -

Cross Server Queue

The Ability to PICK WHATEVER WARZONE YOU WANT TO PLAY!

I already said the thing about cross server queue AND even specifically not the cross server ranked PvP. This is why I said circumstances surrounding statements are important. This is before f2p is announced. This is during the time frame when they have to deal with the facts mentioned at GDC 2013... Most importantly they felt that leveling would take 3-5 months and that they simply didn't make enough content...so add on the pressures of having to make more content and the coding of all the f2p crap, with what is also a reduced crew (pretty sure there were some layoffs in that time frame.)

This is a perfect example of the RL work thing I used...the one about the promise to Bob for a transfer which business realities derail. The thing where circumstance takes control.

That said, I respect the issue you actually have, that their choices are unfavorable to your preferred style of play. There is now a chicken and the egg issue of "are there fewer dedicated PvPers in SWTOR because of Bioware's decision to focus on PvE and Story or did they focus on PvE and story because there were fewer dedicated PvPers."

The thing is though this isn't about people breaking promises, rather circumstances forcing people to make hard business decisions. Like I said I had already covered those PvP issues. They made those promises in 2012... crap went sideways and in 2013 came right out and honestly said that because of the work involved in the cross server stuff (for both PvP and PvE) they weren't going to do it because they had to prioritize other things.

I was wondering if you had something more recent.

Edited by Ghisallo