The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

12 x XP for class-missions

Azibux

All in all, we agree more than you probably realize. But I don't think that accelerated leveling will be the nail in the coffin that some others may. I can take it or leave it honestly, but if we can find a way to cater to both types of player, I think that'd be good.

I don't think it necessarily would be (the coffin nail) either. But I also don't find it to be necessary and I object to pandering to a minority of people that refuse to accept a long standing commercial product for what it is.

Of course business models change over time, all the time based on consumer mandates. But I do not think, and I am not an expert, that the MMO industry is at the point where they need to change their business model.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And in the case of SWTOR the leveling 'grind'/timesink is _significantly_ smaller than the prior generation of MMO's. To 'cap' on ESO takes significantly longer and requires some grinding.

Outside of f2p players, if you have a subscription on SWTOR your leveling is very fast/easy and there is really never a point in which you have to stop and sit at a spawn point and kill the same mobs repeatedly to advance.

SWTOR is already MMO-lite.

People hit max in ESO in less than 25 hours after the game started. Many have beat that time since.

you know what would be nice if they implemented?? an in game poll.. Star Conflict has it and since this game already ripped that game off for GSF might as well rip that off too. in Star Conflict they ask questions (usually every week) about what the players like, use, might like, and just general questions about the game. they give usually 5 choices to choose from. they also give you some gold coins for answering them as well . but this would be good on may different levels, for one it would let them know just how many players in game would be ok with 12x XP so we could see if it really is a small amount of people that would like it or not. they could also use it to find out what people like and dont like.

anyways it was just a thought after reading someone saying people wanting the 12x XP back are in the minority. though you would only get answers from people in game playing and happen to log in during the time the questions was asked, you dont get all the people that are no longer playing or the people that still subscribe but no longer log in. but it would give you a good number to go off of, they could also send out the question in emails to past players.

p.s. 12x XP obviously isn't too much because they had it in the past. if it was too much they wouldn't have done it B^P

p.s. 12x XP obviously isn't too much because they had it in the past. if it was too much they wouldn't have done it B^P

I like your idea about an in-game poll. An email poll would be far more reaching, so I would prefer that. Plus email doesn't require developer time.

It (12XP) was done, specifically, so that anyone interested could get to max level and immediately participate in the SoR expansion. I understand the point you are making, but I don't agree with your logic.

The rate at which they churn out new CM items, and the lack of a 12XP booster already available, indicates to me that they have no interest in offering it for anything beyond promotional events such as the lead-up to SoR.

I like your idea about an in-game poll. An email poll would be far more reaching, so I would prefer that. Plus email doesn't require developer time.

It (12XP) was done, specifically, so that anyone interested could get to max level and immediately participate in the SoR expansion. I understand the point you are making, but I don't agree with your logic.

The rate at which they churn out new CM items, and the lack of a 12XP booster already available, indicates to me that they have no interest in offering it for anything beyond promotional events such as the lead-up to SoR.

I'd much rather the option to answer some poll questions when I login to the client. Make it an optional clickbox and so every time you login you can answer those questions you haven't already answered.

But even then I don't necessarily think that what everyone wants should be implemented. Often we do not really know what we want even though we think we do and when we get it, end up regretting it.

But as a gauge of the general tenor or the community its a good thing to do.

"Just give us instant 60 boost for 400CC. We will learn how to play at max level. kthxbye"

I don't even know how many times I've seen ranged Assassins, ranged Vanguards, melee Sorcerers etc. at lvl 55+.

"Leveling is killing MMOs left and right!"

Yeah, right... Why is EVE still running? For those who don't know, it takes years to get every skill to level 5 in EVE. No one has got max skills yet. This character is closest to max and we are talking about one of the oldest characters in the game: http://eveboard.com/pilot/Dr_Caymus

Edited by Halinalle

"Just give us instant 60 boost for 400CC. We will learn how to play at max level. kthxbye"

I don't even know how many times I've seen ranged Assassins, ranged Vanguards, melee Sorcerers etc. at lvl 55+.

"Leveling is killing MMOs left and right!"

Yeah, right... Why is EVE still running? For those who don't know, it takes years to get every skill to level 5 in EVE. No one has got max skills yet. This character is closest to max and we are talking about one of the oldest characters in the game: http://eveboard.com/pilot/Dr_Caymus

400 CC's? Less than $5 or one month's complimentary CC's?

Why would you expect an instant MAX LEVEL character to be that cheap when the biggest, most successful MMO charges $60 for an instant boost to 10 levels BELOW max level?

BTW, those last 10 levels are ALL the same quests, not even different class quests. Talk about having to do the same quests over and over for each character.

People have asked for a perk. Something not forced to people. This would mean that people who do enjoy those side quests for the umpteenth time could still do those and not level too fast. This is giving players a choice, not "hell with everyone else". Amazing that you actually mention "lack of common sense". Now all you have to do is muster your common sense and find humour in it. :D

Travelers, its about inclusion vs exclusion. You can appeal to a wider audience, or a smaller one.

It kind of is that simple.

again, no one wants to force you to play any particular way. boosts are being tossed around (rumored etc.) just as much as inhibitors. Difficulty settings go in both directions. Only endgame content needs to really remain static for everyone. For competitive / balance reasons.

A perk is getting 500 CC a month. A perk is a veteran reward bonus like a mini-pet. What a permanent XP boost of this nature provides is a fundamental change to how the game is played. Pacing in a game is just as important as the writing and art assets - even more so in an MMO. An MMOs lifeblood depends on players being invested in the game for as long as possible. The quicker their experience with the game, the quicker they leave to spend money on something else, doing one of two things - shortening said lifespan of MMO or turning it into a turnstile game where players are coming and going at a rapid rate, with no long term investment or solid core playerbase.

Inclusion is one thing, however, that can only go so far. Inclusion cannot trump the core design and mechanics of the game. I am sure we can interest more people in playing the game by making Troopers, Bounty Hunters, Agents, and Smugglers an FPS playing experience, but this game is not an FPS, therefore it would change the core game experience for all players - just as allowing a permanent option to change the very nature of how the leveling experience of the game is played.

Mmmmmm tastes like sweet Entitlement:

Epic story XP boost (pretty much 12XP for class missions) coming May 4th for every single subscriber. It is going to be around for so long we don’t even know when it will end.

M4-1S Astromech droid pet also given for subscribers.

-Cantina Notes from Dulfy

May the 4th be with you :D

Edited by FerkWork

Mmmmmm tastes like sweet Entitlement:

-Cantina Notes from Dulfy

May the 4th be with you :D

As I said, I would accept the decision either way.

I do expect to see these forums full of demands for free gear for leveling, 12x credits, etc, by no later than May 5. I fully expect t hose demands to start showing up on these forums even before that, though. 12XP has only just been confirmed as returning and already in game chat is full of demands for 12X credits, free auto scaling for leveling and other demands.

So much for the claims made by those demanding 12XP that people would not be making those demands for free gear or extra credits, I guess.

I do expect to see these forums full of demands for free gear for leveling, 12x credits, etc, by no later than May 5. I fully expect t hose demands to start showing up on these forums even before that, though. 12XP has only just been confirmed as returning and already in game chat is full of demands for 12X credits, free auto scaling for leveling and other demands.

So much for the claims made by those demanding 12XP that people would not be making those demands for free gear or extra credits, I guess.

8x Commendations per Story Quest is a thing we're almost certainly getting in 3.2.

God, you're a real Debbie Downer, aren't you?

8x Commendations per Story Quest is a thing we're almost certainly getting in 3.2.

God, you're a real Debbie Downer, aren't you?

If pointing out that the mice are already demanding their next cookie, even before 12XP starts, makes me a Debbie Downer, then so be it.

If 8X commendations goes live, we'll see if that will be enough to satisfy the mice. I highly doubt it will be, though. All one has to do is to read the forums to see that it likely will not be enough for the mice.

If pointing out that the mice are already demanding their next cookie, even before 12XP starts, makes me a Debbie Downer, then so be it.

If 8X commendations goes live, we'll see if that will be enough to satisfy the mice. I highly doubt it will be, though. All one has to do is to read the forums to see that it likely will not be enough for the mice.

It won't be nearly enough. On average there are 4 class missions per planet and each planet is designed (on average) to level you up 3-4 levels. So with 8 comms per class quest, that is only 32 comms in guaranteed rewards - every 4 levels.

Couple that with the all but certainty that no one will be "wasting their time" on those "boring side quests" and you will still see under-geared players.

I accept that it is coming back for May the 4th. All it really means for me is that I'm going to hold off for a couple weeks to finish those toons I'm working on over on TRE.

It won't be nearly enough. On average there are 4 class missions per planet and each planet is designed (on average) to level you up 3-4 levels. So with 8 comms per class quest, that is only 32 comms in guaranteed rewards - every 4 levels.

Couple that with the all but certainty that no one will be "wasting their time" on those "boring side quests" and you will still see under-geared players.

3.2 will also reduce the comms requirement for all mods, including armoring/barrels, to 2 comms each. This is on the PTS right now. With 8 comms per class mission i think that will go a long way towards solving that issue.

You'll only need around 50 comms to completely mod out all 14 gear pieces. Add in a couple side quests and that seems fairly do-able.

3.2 will also reduce the comms requirement for all mods, including armoring/barrels, to 2 comms each. This is on the PTS right now. With 8 comms per class mission i think that will go a long way towards solving that issue.

You'll only need around 50 comms to completely mod out all 14 gear pieces. Add in a couple side quests and that seems fairly do-able.

First, many of those demanding 12XP have been doing so with the claim that they simply don't want to do those pesky planetary side quests. Do you really expect them to do those pesky planetary side quests simply to remain geared? I don't.

Second, even if they were to do those pesky planetary side quests to get the extra comms needed to upgrade their 14 slots of gear with mods, that is ONLY enough for ONE SET of gear. That means they either get to upgrade their character or one of their companions, NOT both. It's definitely NOT enough to even come close to keeping ALL their companions geared.

Edited by Ratajack

First, many of those demanding 12XP have been doing so with the claim that they simply don't want to do those pesky planetary side quests. Do you really expect them to do those pesky planetary side quests simply to remain geared? I don't.

Second, even if they were to do those pesky planetary side quests to get the extra comms needed to upgrade their 14 slots of gear with mods, that is ONLY enough for ONE SET of gear. That means they either get to upgrade their character or one of their companions, NOT both. It's definitely NOT enough to even come close to keeping ALL their companions geared.

Well, I personally never bothered using comms for companion gear until level 50 or so. Ordinary green gear was perfectly fine, and easy to come by.

But regardless of both our opinions, it's coming. Time will tell who is right or wrong.

EDIT: In addition, IF we're talking about leveling alts with this, one's main should have plenty of extra basic comms to make up any shortfalls. The mods are still BoE and can be sent to alts.

Edited by Taramayne

Eh, I only level up my gear every 6-8 levels at the moment so since there's more than 6 class levels every 6 levels I think 8 commendations is more than enough to keep my gear up to a decent standard. Plus if you add in a bit of PVP here, random drops on mobs and the odd daily you'll have more than enough spare, probably more than I have right now which is 300 or so.

Well, I personally never bothered using comms for companion gear until level 50 or so. Ordinary green gear was perfectly fine, and easy to come by.

But regardless of both our opinions, it's coming. Time will tell who is right or wrong.

I have no doubt we will see the demands escalate and increase, practically exponentially.

EDIT: In addition, IF we're talking about leveling alts with this, one's main should have plenty of extra basic comms to make up any shortfalls. The mods are still BoE and can be sent to alts.

That would require a modicum of effort, something to which those who were demanding 12XP are apparently too averse.

I have no doubt we will see the demands escalate and increase, practically exponentially.

That would require a modicum of effort, something to which those who were demanding 12XP are apparently too averse.

Right, because people want 12x XP so they don't have to work :rolleyes:

Right, because people want 12x XP so they don't have to work :rolleyes:

They've stated as much many times in the various support posts. Sometimes they'll start with, 'I just want the story lines in order without a pause or interruption..." But a few posts in inevitably they start admitting they just don't want to have to do the 'grind' despite the fact SWTOR is already incredibly non-grindy for an MMO.

I'll live with this, but my expectations are set very low for any benefit coming from this. My expectations instead is this will make things much worse overall.

Low level players are going to have a hard time finding players to do non-storyline content with.

High level players are going to have a flooded 'market' of FOTM's and crap players making getting through the difficult content more difficult.

We'll see brief blip in subs, but then we'll see a much more radical downturn in sub numbers once the number of peole who have seen all the class story lines has inceased.

We'll see an increase in the number of players complaining about lack of content.

We'll see players whining for more 'QoL' changes/additions to get more free stuff/easy mode play, further deepening the downward spiral.

I could be wrong, I'll be happy to be wrong, but my deduction is we're witnessing the end of SWTOR.

As a 'cartel whale' myself, I know this is going to be bad for them as I am less inclined to spend what sort of money I have been spending to acquire cartel goods I think may have a significantly shorter lifespan.

They've stated as much many times in the various support posts. Sometimes they'll start with, 'I just want the story lines in order without a pause or interruption..." But a few posts in inevitably they start admitting they just don't want to have to do the 'grind' despite the fact SWTOR is already incredibly non-grindy for an MMO.

I'll live with this, but my expectations are set very low for any benefit coming from this. My expectations instead is this will make things much worse overall.

Low level players are going to have a hard time finding players to do non-storyline content with.

High level players are going to have a flooded 'market' of FOTM's and crap players making getting through the difficult content more difficult.

We'll see brief blip in subs, but then we'll see a much more radical downturn in sub numbers once the number of peole who have seen all the class story lines has inceased.

We'll see an increase in the number of players complaining about lack of content.

We'll see players whining for more 'QoL' changes/additions to get more free stuff/easy mode play, further deepening the downward spiral.

I could be wrong, I'll be happy to be wrong, but my deduction is we're witnessing the end of SWTOR.

As a 'cartel whale' myself, I know this is going to be bad for them as I am less inclined to spend what sort of money I have been spending to acquire cartel goods I think may have a significantly shorter lifespan.

I heard that if you line your hats with the blood of a virgin pisces (has to be human and can't be yours or your brother's), they will pick you last! That might keep you alive for weeks!

Edited by Savej

im willing to bet its people like you are asking for this stuff. mostly people just being stupid and asking for stupid random things just to be a pain and troll.

im willing to bet its people like you are asking for this stuff. mostly people just being stupid and asking for stupid random things just to be a pain and troll.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.