Is the lack of attention to important issues pushing you away?

Prototypemind

Repeatedly shown? Where? Please provide me a link to counter this one, which is from Bioware, that says nearly half of all players PvP.

I thought there was something said about it more recently (still like 1.5 to 2 years ago though) but about 50% participating sounds about right to me from what I remember.

The real question IMO is how many people exclusively PvP or PvP is drastically more important than other game content. Saying that 50% of all people participate at all doesn't really say that much IMO, if anything that's somewhat negative that 50% of players don't bother with it at all. I'm not saying PvP isn't important or shouldn't be addressed but my suspicion is that the percentage of people who exclusively or primarily PvP is probably pretty small, however that's also likely true because of their handling of PvP more than anything else so it's a somewhat self-fulfilling prophecy.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Repeatedly shown? Where? Please provide me a link to counter this one, which is from Bioware, that says nearly half of all players PvP.

I really hate it when statistics are abused like this.

More than half of the players at the time had completed at least one WZ. That's not the same thing that you said.

What percentage of players completed a PvP DAILY last week? That's a better measure.

Haha! Three year old (January, 2012) marketing hype at launch by the head of the SWTOR PvP development team. "Over half have participated" is vague and old. That doesn't mean they stayed around. I visited a Porche salesroom the other day, too, but I didn't buy one. If it were any other statistic provided by Bioware you would be telling us how inaccurate and prejudicial they are. The stat has been reported by major gaming magazines within the last year--and reported and debated on these forums. But, yeah,, if you can't Google it I'll look it up for ya!

I am constantly amazed by the people that can take the time to pen a 7 or 8 paragraph complaint about everything horribly wrong...and yet continue to pay for it? Isn't that kind of silly?

It's called feedback. And I agree with 99% of everything he said.

The Slot Machine incident was flat out ridiculous. A MINORITY of people threw an loud fit because it "effected" their little money making schemes on the GTN. I don't know about you, but I don't pay 15 bucks a month to set around hording piles of credits. I pay to play the game. Not have a minority of people dictate what the majority does in their own game and how they do it. The Slot Machine was a breath of fresh air and it was RUINED because of them. It frankly disgusts me on many levels.

One, because we have ALL these bugs and problems in the game, but Bioware could get a patch on the Slot machine in a few days? Why isn't Underlurker and Coritani door and boss fight bugs getting that attention? Or any other number of things that have been in the game for ages?

Two, because we finally got something FUN in the game and these small amount of people threw fits loudly to force THEIR will on the rest of the players and game. That just flat out disgusts me to no end. Most of us enjoyed being able to craft our own stuff and be SELF SUFFICIENT. I am glad I got a pile of Jawa Junk still. I ENJOYED it and the slot machine. But again, thanx to these loud minority the fun was ruined. I hope they enjoy looking in the mirror every day knowing they ruined other peoples fun. I bet they are proud...

Edited by DarthVengeant

Haha! Three year old (January, 2012) marketing hype at launch by the head of the SWTOR PvP development team. "Over half have participated" is vague and old. That doesn't mean they stayed around. I visited a Porche salesroom the other day, too, but I didn't buy one. If it were any other statistic provided by Bioware you would be telling us how inaccurate and prejudicial they are. The stat has been reported by major gaming magazines within the last year--and reported and debated on these forums. But, yeah,, if you can't Google it I'll look it up for ya!

Links? I gave mine, back up yours. Regardless of the stats age, it's the last official comment we got on it.

Links? I gave mine, back up yours. Regardless of the stats age, it's the last official comment we got on it.

The problem is that you didn't back yours up, either. You claimed that half the players "PvP". That was present-tense, strongly implying that this is a predictive statement, and that it will be true if measured in the near future.

...then you provided a quote that states that over some very long period of time, a long time ago, half the players completed at least one Warzone... and the other half never even got that far.

Your "source" doesn't really support you. It suggests that the group of PvPers --even at a casual level-- is far smaller than 50% of the player base.

Short answer no. I still enjoy the game.

1) PvP completely and utterly ignored.

An utterly false statement. They are constantly making tweaks and screwing up PVE to balance PVP. Since I despise PVP, I would argue that they are putting far too many resources on PVP. I consider the right amount of resources to put on PVP to be 0. It could be removed from the game tomorrow and I would be happy.

2) Persistent bugs.

Please go find any significant piece of software, let alone something as complex as an MMO that does not have persistent bugs. Go pick any MMO, go to their forums and read the complaints about the bugs that exist in the game. Bugs have existed since the first computer and likely will always exist.

3) GSF dead in the water.

Nope. Not possible for me to care less. I tried it in beta found it boring. I think I did one match after launch, still couldn't stand it so never touched it. Again, it could be removed from the game and it would make no difference to me.

4) The CM slot machines.

Only reason I care about the CM slot machines is that I would be quite happy if they brought out more for other reps which they likely will never do now. I like to get reps maxed. This let me max a cartel rep that I never would have otherwise. It appealed to my anal retentive nature.

5) Taking away end game rewards for the majority of end game players.

Still plenty of things for people to do. While my guild isn't the most awesome progression guild in the universe, we do make steady progress and have fun doing it. I like the new content. Didn't like the underlurker bugs, but he seems to be behaving more consistently now.

The problem is that you didn't back yours up, either. You claimed that half the players "PvP". That was present-tense, strongly implying that this is a predictive statement, and that it will be true if measured in the near future.

...then you provided a quote that states that over some very long period of time, a long time ago, half the players completed at least one Warzone... and the other half never even got that far.

Your "source" doesn't really support you. It suggests that the group of PvPers --even at a casual level-- is far smaller than 50% of the player base.

Now you're just being disingenuous. The exact quote is "with nearly half of all players participating in Warzones." Where does it say one? And please...feel free to present newer information with links. At least I have a source for my assumptions...you don't.

Meanwhile, you have no evidence to the contrary just a lot of personal analysis that can be countered with someone else's. Serve up some sawce brah.

Edit: Oh right, the topic. tl;dr? Yes OP.

Edited by Joesixxpack

Now you're just being disingenuous. The exact quote is "with nearly half of all players participating in Warzones." Where does it say one? And please...feel free to present newer information with links. At least I have a source for my assumptions...you don't.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying you have no basis for your statement... just like everyone else.

While I know the Internet absolutely hates anyone who doesn't adopt some extreme position, I believe that neither of the "teams" are right. The amount of people who regularly join WZs is certainly a minority, but not a miniscule one. It's absolutely not half, and its absolutely not an insignificant fraction. Do I have a source for that? Nope. And neither do you. You're quoting an outdated, vague statement that not even you can attach to quantifiable data.

Happy?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying you have no basis for your statement... just like everyone else.

While I know the Internet absolutely hates anyone who doesn't adopt some extreme position, I believe that neither of the "teams" are right. The amount of people who regularly join WZs is certainly a minority, but not a miniscule one. It's absolutely not half, and its absolutely not an insignificant fraction. Do I have a source for that? Nope. And neither do you. You're quoting an outdated, vague statement that not even you can attach to quantifiable data.

Happy?

Yes. I would agree with your position.

Happy?

Haha, still had to add certainties in there though eh? Tsk tsk, do any of us have a basis or not? Gotta pick one.

I am constantly amazed by the people that can take the time to pen a 7 or 8 paragraph complaint about everything horribly wrong...and yet continue to pay for it? Isn't that kind of silly?

It's like "God I hate HBO, never anything on I want to watch, the shows and movies on there are terrible and it's just crap - lemme sign up for 6 more months" - just weird to me.

So people who invest money in things should just give up on them and move on when those things don't pay off? We should never actually, I don't know *CARE* about the quality of things we purchase? maybe enough to complain about those issues, to take time to come up with paragraphs worth of suggestions...maybe cuz, gee...that's what you do if you actually give a crap about something you enjoy?

Not trying to break your b*lls or anything...but...ffs. People take the time to say something because they give a sh*t, not because it's like any other disposable amusement that you just say "meh, it's whatever" and walk away from.

Yes, and those issues are why I've dropped my sub so many times. I come back after 6 months to a year and hope things will be better.

PvP: Ignored

GSF: Dead and ignored

1.2 introduced a head clipping big with Saber Marshal's Robe and other items based on the same model and it's still not fixed

By far, the worst is coming back for 3.0 and finding that the UI is my biggest source of frustration with the game. It completely kills my FPS when combat starts and makes PvP unplayable. Do they respond or follow up on the claim that they're looking at it? No, of course they don't.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8042225#post8042225

Makes me feel like I should just finally get around to finishing the class stories, then delete my characters and quit for good. This game has been the worst love/hate relationship I've had with any game. This post is one among hundreds like it. If I was running this game and saw so many posts like mine and others, I would genuinely feel very sad and disappointed with myself for allowing things to go so wrong. Their attitude of "things are better than ever!" in the face of so much evidence to the contrary is very revealing. In the interviews it was all about how passionate they are about their game and about Star Wars. It's clear that the real passion is money and everything else is secondary.

Not trying to break your b*lls or anything...but...ffs. People take the time to say something because they give a sh*t, not because it's like any other disposable amusement that you just say "meh, it's whatever" and walk away from.
And when years pass and you're still 'saying something' with no effect whatsoever, you still stick around for it? Or do you wise up, realize you're not cared about, and find something else?

Yeah, pretty much. I somehow managed to get my hopes up for the 'expansion', made a fresh toon on the republic side and was rearing to go. Fresh start, few level cap, new skill system, it'll be awesome.

Two daily areas an expansion does not make, fast forward to today and I'm half out of the game. After five years of not touching the game, I went back to WoW because.. well.. they put out content compete expansions and big sized patches with **** to do. SWTOR... eh.. swtor finds new ways to double/triple dip (Reselling existing mounts, now with flourishes).

Thanks to everyone who's kept the responses civil and informed, regardless of which side of things you come down on. Unfortunately this is the net so conversation becomes more difficult to be concise with, but I think in general most got what I was stating, which is that as this game has gone along, the devs and staff have more often than not gone their own way, not been open with the community, ignored requests, and wasted resources where they weren't needed. Their responses have been beyond questionable in some instances.

I experienced similar issues in some ways with BF3, another EA title, but the issues and changes there did not take away the fun of the game for me. Unfortunately here they have, and it's really only the enjoyment of others that I play with and having fun in end game PvP that has kept me around this long. As I said, it's not too out there to relate to the real world. If this game were a shop, I wouldn't take my car anywhere near it. With other games they might be the shop where you don't like the staff, but at least you know you'll get what you paid for. There were things with BF that I couldn't for the life of me understand because they were changes that most players did not want, but I could deal with it. I paid my $60, got some DLC, continued enjoying the game. I just find it harder and harder to justify continuing to put $180 a year into this title in sub costs when the team involved is disconnected entirely from what the community is asking for.

Classes aren't properly balanced for PvP, nor are the for PvE. GSF was a completely wasted venture. The next area will continue the monotony that is unified story lines, turning leveling even more from fun into tedium. I just don't look at where this game is going and see something that will make me want to stay involved.