Be careful when using a gaming mouse

Lundorff

We are contacting you to notify you that we have found your Star Wars: The Old Republic account, Lundorff , to be in violation of our Terms of Service.

We have identified that your character was moving in a manner and/or speed that is outside of our normal in-game parameters, and upon further investigation we have detected a pattern of play that provides an unfair advantage over other players outside of the intended in-game mechanics.

Due to the severity of the violation, we are suspending your account for 1 week (168 hours) effective immediately.

Our penalty system is cumulative. This means that if you continue to violate our Terms of Service in this way, the next penalty applied may ultimately result in permanent account closure.

They might not like.

I discovered yesterday that the G600 has the ability to execute commands - skills - while only holding down a button, but apparently this sends to many commands to the game, and they detect it as skill-spamming or something. Banning me for a week without warning seems some what extreme, but I guess they don't want my subscription anymore :cool:

(I suspect this has more to due with me using too much bandwidth on their poor servers, than any thing else.)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you read that email carefully, you'll notice that they did not mention macro'ing. They mentioned movement, as in your in game character was moving faster than allowed. Your gaming mouse can't make your character all of a sudden move faster.

This has nothing to do with sending too many keys to the game, what macro'ing/gaming mice do. This is all about your character's speed and movement exceeding the limit, most likely flagging an attempt to "speed hack" or whatever you want to call it.

If you were banned for sending too many keys to the game, the mail would state that you used more actions than normal within a given time period. And using gaming mice is perfectly fine, so long as 1 button press = 1 action (which 1 button down can be used). If you made it so 1 click down = 3 actions then that is against the rules as well, but that isn't the reason you were banned.

Edited by Aienir

If you read that email carefully, you'll notice that they did not mention macro'ing. They mentioned movement, as in your in game character was moving faster than allowed. Your gaming mouse can't make your character all of a sudden move faster.

This has nothing to do with sending too many keys to the game, what macro'ing/gaming mice do. This is all about your character's speed and movement exceeding the limit, most likely flagging an attempt to "speed hack" or whatever you want to call it.

When I held down on the mouse-button, the game would actually lag more as I was trying to send multiple commands every split second. I think this made it look like a reverse speed hack to their system, e.g. I were hammering their system with info.

Regardless, the only change I made yesterday, since the beginning of the game, was this very change, so I have little doubt that this is the cause. Furthermore, If indeed I had been using any type of actual 3rd party hack, then I would not be inclined to make a thread about it here heh.

When I held down on the mouse-button, the game would actually lag more as I was trying to send multiple commands every split second. I think this made it look like a reverse speed hack to their system, e.g. I were hammering their system with info.

Regardless, the only change I made yesterday, since the beginning of the game, was this very change, so I have little doubt that this is the cause. Furthermore, If indeed I had been using any type of actual 3rd party hack, then I would not be inclined to make a thread about it here heh.

This ^^ actually.

Doubt he would be compounding his troubles.

That aside, while I did notice the movement thing in the email, I also noticed "a certain pattern of play" mentioned as well, so, that would incluse macros to a degree.

Good thing my mouse is tied up with system commands like magnifier on/off and media playback controls then :cool:

That's quite possible, I wasn't hinting that you were attempting to "speed hack" and my apologies if it came across that way.

If you're doing what I think you're doing, 1 button = stream of actions such as pressing the 1 key on a Naga = use the ability Rapid Shots till you lift your key, you should add in a space of no action between sending the key press. For example:

Numpad 1 hold will send = "Num 1" + "0.5 sec" + "Num 1" + "0.5 sec" + ....

Might prevent that endless key spam. Still not sure if that's OK with the ToS, but would prevent (maybe) the stutter thta would come across as "speed hacking" due to sending a large amount of key presses mixed in with movement.

I've used a gaming mouse and keyboard since launch, and the only macro I have is for spamming spacebar to skip cutscenes and dialogue.

inb4 I get banned for skipping the Novarre intro "faster than intended." :rolleyes:

Press esc and be done with it ;)

Edited by Ryuku-sama

Thanks for the heads up. I find I tend to pound the same button multiple times when I do not see the immediate character response. Which normally happens when I facepalm and either got stuck in the chat window or my hand shifted and I am pressing an ability on a CD. I'll try to watch that inner monkey :)

They said they would be watching spamming a button manually will not get you banned and make them think your speed hacking. But when you use mouse hardware that can spam in milliseconds it can lag the server client out. An easy fix would be put into the game a protection system that when you did some thing like this it would boot you to the character selection screen. With a error code no banning is needed for hardware but this would stop people from using hardware to lag the client out. Which does mess with other players game play chances are you were reported when they looked they saw what you were doing and banned you. Edited by Neoforcer

They might not like.

I discovered yesterday that the G600 has the ability to execute commands - skills - while only holding down a button, but apparently this sends to many commands to the game, and they detect it as skill-spamming or something. Banning me for a week without warning seems some what extreme, but I guess they don't want my subscription anymore :cool:

(I suspect this has more to due with me using too much bandwidth on their poor servers, than any thing else.)

It's because people use script macros to daisy chain abilities to 1 or 2 buttons... This is against Bio's rulesyou agree to when playing the game... If you don't like it, don't play

Bio have said you can use a Macro, but you must have to hit the buttons each time an ability is used... And not daisy chain them

This isn't something new either... But I guess they have finally gotten around to doing something about the scripters in this game... And it's about time...

Scripting macros is just lazy game play and it gives an unfair advantage to those using them... Most of us are proper key binders or even taskbar mouse clickers... When you are key binding you use shift, alt, etc to use all the keys... While you are pushing 2-3 keys to use an ability each time or clicking the task bar, it is much slower than someone clicking one button once to do everything in that rotation... Which most people who play properly would equate this to cheating and being lazy

I'm sorry you got banned for doing something you didn't realise was wrong... But I'm glad you were caught... It shows Bio are trying to address the issue of people scripting in the game to cheat

Edited by Icykill_

Thanks for the heads up. I find I tend to pound the same button multiple times when I do not see the immediate character response. Which normally happens when I facepalm and either got stuck in the chat window or my hand shifted and I am pressing an ability on a CD. I'll try to watch that inner monkey :)

I wouldn't worry about that... You only can humanly push a button so fast... If someone is scripting, then it is faster than is humanly possible... Unless they put delays in it... But that nearly negates the purpose of them doing it anyway

This ^^ actually.

Doubt he would be compounding his troubles.

That aside, while I did notice the movement thing in the email, I also noticed "a certain pattern of play" mentioned as well, so, that would incluse macros to a degree.

Good thing my mouse is tied up with system commands like magnifier on/off and media playback controls then :cool:

Yes it's the certain pattern of play that the email was referring too... Not the speed... All these emails are generic... So they just generalise

That's quite possible, I wasn't hinting that you were attempting to "speed hack" and my apologies if it came across that way.

If you're doing what I think you're doing, 1 button = stream of actions such as pressing the 1 key on a Naga = use the ability Rapid Shots till you lift your key, you should add in a space of no action between sending the key press. For example:

Numpad 1 hold will send = "Num 1" + "0.5 sec" + "Num 1" + "0.5 sec" + ....

Might prevent that endless key spam. Still not sure if that's OK with the ToS, but would prevent (maybe) the stutter thta would come across as "speed hacking" due to sending a large amount of key presses mixed in with movement.

It's not... Bio clearly state you must push the button manually and not script it

Couldn't give a stuff if people macro or not. The more people automate, the sloppier they get. Predictability isn't an advantage.

That's why when the script-macro people don't use them they can't play either... But the real issue is the premade groups that use them and just rotate back and forth between nodes... Singling out one person at a time to hammer... Sure 3/4v 1 isn't possible under normal circumstances either.... But when you can't even get your force bubble up in time because the scripts run so fast the system lags... There is a problem... It makes playing said premades nearly impossible... Another down side is having them on your side... They usually don't know tactics, will leave nodes unguarded just so they can troll people... Then brag about how much dps they did all match, how everyone else is a scrub... Leaving more team orientated people to pick up the slack and try and guard against 5 or 6 while the scripters run around ganking 1 person at a time... They are usually the ones talking trash in chat to people too... I say get rid of the scripters and the quality of pvp will improve...

I don't really see scripting macros in ranked... Scripters are lazy players and can't play... So in ranked they just get decimated... But there are plenty in regs doing it... I can see how the average non ranked player can get upset about it

They might not like.

Good. I hate that macro crap in huttball.

It's not physically possible to spam the mouse buttons fast enough to be flagged by their system. Only with a macro.

straight from Bioware

http://www.swtor.com/blog/developer-blog-busting-bugs-and-fixing-exploits

"Our extensive in-game metric tools are also always monitoring the game and generating reports – meaning that if anyone is exploiting, we are going to find out about it."

I know a lot of players think they are pretty smart...funny but since launch Ive watched a lot of those players come and go....not so smart I think

Doesn't seem right. I've been using a G600 for over a year in the game and have not had any problems. Something tells me you were up to no good.

He admitted he was... He said he had his abilities macro daisy chained to one button... Ie scripting... His argument is he didn't know it was against the TOS...