2018 Expertise Main PVP Stat Is Essential

Icykill_

Yeah, well either something is wonky, or why am I even buying PvP gear to PvP in? Too lazy to make a picture this time (but I can if you want "proof"). I went to the trouble of getting a dark reaver relic of reactive warding (so "ranked" gear, right... the best I can get?), and I plopped a 186 purple fortitude augment in it. Again, the best I can get?

Now I have an relic slot that has/had an item rating 46 green "relic of psychic heorism" (+22 end, +6 pow), with an item level 90 green fort aug (11 end, 6 pow) (so a total level requirement of 41, because of the aug). I swap out for the dark reaver, and this is what happens...

green relic / dark reaver

end: 3717 / 3696

will: 2375 / 2264

exp: 2018 / 2018

b dmg : 1173.5 / 1153.4

b heal: 848.8 / 834.8

crit : 12.79 / 12.55

def: 18.67 / 18.86

absorb: 28.66 / 28.17

I guess my defense went up a whole 0.2%. Wow. That totally makes up for everything else going down. I guess I'll stick to my level 41 gear for now!

The only issue is you will miss out on the relic bonus proc... The reason the green relic seesm to give higher stats is because it doesn't have a bonus proc, so it adds some extra stats... You are much better off using the dark reaver relic

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know of there is a similar item rating cap for the low tier? Before the bolster changes recently, it seemed like any item over rating 62 or 68 (cant quite remember which) would cause a stat or expertise loss. Now it seems like stats in lowbies are no longer capped at a certain rating for mods.

Or maybe I just dont pay close enough attention. :p

The only issue is you will miss out on the relic bonus proc... The reason the green relic seesm to give higher stats is because it doesn't have a bonus proc, so it adds some extra stats... You are much better off using the dark reaver relic

Ah, yep, I see what you mean. I didn't even think of that. And now that I've got a couple normal pieces (wrist & belt) I can see the slight stats increase from those. So it's all good. I'm back to the grind for gear... ugh... hate... grind.

Thanks a ton!

Ah, yep, I see what you mean. I didn't even think of that. And now that I've got a couple normal pieces (wrist & belt) I can see the slight stats increase from those. So it's all good. I'm back to the grind for gear... ugh... hate... grind.

Thanks a ton!

Never fear... The latest interview with Eric and Alex reveals that the grind is nearly over...

If you haven't already, have a listen or read this post http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=814858

Does anyone know of there is a similar item rating cap for the low tier? Before the bolster changes recently, it seemed like any item over rating 62 or 68 (cant quite remember which) would cause a stat or expertise loss. Now it seems like stats in lowbies are no longer capped at a certain rating for mods.

Or maybe I just dont pay close enough attention. :p

Do you mean 162 or 168 gear??

Sorry, I need to be more specific. I mean lowbies tier PvP, when your character is lvl 10-29. Is there a similar item rating cap?

Not as such.... But, I have noticed if you have purple gear that is exactly the same lvl as you are, it won't bolster as well... Ie, you may have other secondary stats from that gear that people on blues and greens don't, so it may reduce some stats for the increase in others... This is only an observation, not outright testing

I don't think anyone has or will ever do any proper testing at these lvls, you lvl so quick, it doesn't really matter

I will say that Augments don't seem to have this restriction... I stack surge augments from early on to increase my Crit multiplier

I have noticed some strange behavior with Bolister @ 60. I pulled some mods out of some Black Market gear and put them into some adaptive shells I had. The problem is the stats chance, especially endurance, in the adaptive and with Bolister.

I even paid to put the mods back in original shell, check the stats and move them to the adaptive again.

Without Bolister, no stats changed, with with Bolister, the exact same mods give different stats in different shells.

(there were no augments in either)

I have noticed some strange behavior with Bolister @ 60. I pulled some mods out of some Black Market gear and put them into some adaptive shells I had. The problem is the stats chance, especially endurance, in the adaptive and with Bolister.

I even paid to put the mods back in original shell, check the stats and move them to the adaptive again.

Without Bolister, no stats changed, with with Bolister, the exact same mods give different stats in different shells.

(there were no augments in either)

Isn't there something about bolster favoring endurance?

That is weird... Do you have Augs or augment slots equiped on the adaptive Armor?

Ok, I messed up a bit. I thought I had verified that there were no augments before, but now it is a different problem.

The augment is the issue.

I did the same test again, using the same mods, pulled and reinstalled each time.

Without the augment, the stats were the same in both sets. With the augment, the stats go down.

The augment is an Advanced Might Augment 28 (item lvl 156), which has 32 str and 20 end.

Without the augment, my End is 3021 - WITH the augment (no other changes), my End is 3009.

Same with the Str. With augment my Str goes DOWN 32 pts.

The augment is subtracting for some reason.

Did another test. (all of this is being done on one armor slot)

Installed an old Fortitude 148 augment and it made zero change to Bolstered end.

I upgraded the slot to mk-10, installed a 186 might augment and Str went up 52 (same as the augment stat), but End when down by 5.

#edit - all numbers are being compared to the same setup with one blank augment slot.

Edited by Culhaven

Did another test. (all of this is being done on one armor slot)

Installed an old Fortitude 148 augment and it made zero change to Bolstered end.

I upgraded the slot to mk-10, installed a 186 might augment and Str went up 52 (same as the augment stat), but End when down by 5.

#edit - all numbers are being compared to the same setup with one blank augment slot.

There is obviously something wrong with old lvl 55 augments... Probably because you can put the new lvl 56 ones in at that lvl 56... My "guess" is its subtracting/bolstering based on what those stats should be and isn't actually looking at the stats...

As for endurance dropping, that happens when every you equipe any augment now becuase Augs are "now" affected by bolster... Without any Augs equiped, bolster gives you an Automatic endurance "only" bolster... Once you equipe a proper Aug with secondary stats, it reduces the endurance because you've obtained secondary stats you didn't have before... This way it actually encourages people to use Augs to get secondary stats for their classes, but doesn't negatively affect bolster by adding those, it just gives people a small enduance bolster for them.

Hope that helps explain stuff...

• 2 weeks later...
So the fleet vendors have the old campaign gear that comes with the campaign set bonus. Is there any reason not to use that gear from level 50-59 in Warzones? I've been playing with it recently and it feels like I've been getting 9K backstabs around half of the time because of the set bonus. Edited by HaoZhao

So the fleet vendors have the old campaign gear that comes with the campaign set bonus. Is there any reason not to use that gear from level 50-59 in Warzones? I've been playing with it recently and it feels like I've been getting 9K backstabs around half of the time because of the set bonus.

All my new 50's I do this

Save up comms while leveling then get the set bonus with comms

Works great- some classes better than others

Then stick the 162 mod and enhancement when I do the sor story stuff

Edited by Daxy

• 2 months later...

I just can't for the life of me get more than 1886. Currently using all 162's except lvl 50 2 set gloves and boots(146), 156 wep and my 124 lvl 50 matrix cube (it gives me more health than my second 162). Have swapped stuff around in every combination and my exp doesn't budge.

About to go buy a 148 mh/oh and if that doesn't work I'll just sit here and cry.

I just can't for the life of me get more than 1886. Currently using all 162's except lvl 50 2 set gloves and boots(146), 156 wep and my 124 lvl 50 matrix cube (it gives me more health than my second 162). Have swapped stuff around in every combination and my exp doesn't budge.

About to go buy a 148 mh/oh and if that doesn't work I'll just sit here and cry.

It's the weapons that are causing the problem... Bolster works a little different with them... Just put 162/153 hilt/barrel and 148 mods and enhancements... Then a normal +41 crystal... As long as the rest of your gear isn't above 162, you should get 2018 expertise... Let's me know if you don't and we'll work out what the offending piece is

• 4 weeks later...
Having been enjoying PVP and being thoroughly killed by Icy. Can you advise if you have heard anything about changes in 4.0. I am trying to work out whether I should just save all my wz comms for post 4.0 or try and gear now.

There will be new armour... I'm not sure how bolster will work... I will start testing as soon as it's released and update as I discover things...

As for saving Comms,,, it depends on how many you currently have and how many you will have once the Xpac comes out...

I had over 20k on my Mara and decided to buy ranked ear, implants and relics... The rest I've just left at the entry lvl pvp gear... I had 10k in Comms left after that... And I expect I'll probably have close to 20k when the Xpac is released...

So the short answer is if you dont have enough Comms, save them till the Xpac... If you do, then you may as well equipe some pvp gear

Dunno if this is a stupid question or not but here goes,

What is better, a full suit of PVP gear or using bolstering? Or is it just a case of getting the highest expertise as you can?

Just don't understand the point of the pvp gear if its better to bolster with 162 gear.

Edited by madmhare

Dunno if this is a stupid question or not but here goes,

What is better, a full suit of PVP gear or using bolstering? Or is it just a case of getting the highest expertise as you can?

Just don't understand the point of the pvp gear if its better to bolster with 162 gear.

Pvp gear is better because it has set bonuses