Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

BIO-DEVS - Windows 10 test with SWTOR??

Icykill_

Hi Bio Devs... has anyone tested Windows 10 tech preview with SWTOR

With the new Microsoft Windows 10 Preview coming closer to a full retail version... I am wondering if Bio or anyone else has tested one of the preview builds with SWTOR

The reason I ask is Microsoft told the press that people with Windows 7, 8, or 8.1, will get a Free upgrade to Windows 10 for the first 12 months after it is released... This means nearly all PCs running Windows 7 onwards will be Windows 10 fairly soon

I think we need something official from Bio that they are working on this

Eric Mussco or Tait... Can you please talk to the team and let us know that you guys are ontop of this... I am sure people will inadvertently upgrade without thinking about playing swtor on it... and if it doesn't work... You will very quickly lose most of the player base...

At least if it isn't going to work... Then you can let us know officially before the launch so we can make an informed decision on upgrading or at least the more tech savvy people can have work arounds tested and in place and hopefully documented in the forums so people can set them up... Ie Dual booting or Virtual desktops

I played SWTOR on Windows 10 Technical Preview for about a month without any issues and about same performance as I get in Windows 8.1.

Of course that doesn't neccesarily mean it will work as well for everyone else but I doubt we'll see many SWTOR problems related to the new Windows.

W74L. Win 7 for Life

Even with the Free Upgrade??...

Windows 10 Looks like it will have some cool stuff that will allow any Windows 10 device Apps to talk to any Windows 10 platform... This includes Xbox one, phones, tablets, laptops etc...

Also with Xbox one using Windows 10... You can imagine all game developers moving forward will be coding games for it... So it will likely be designed to have some good gaming performance...

What we need to know is... will Bio do some testing early to make sure it works with SWTOR or do they need to start working on an update to make sure it does

Oh hell no... never install a MS Operating System until the at least first service pack is released. Bill Gates could hand deliver it to my house on a silver platter and I wouldn't install it.

Normally I would agree... Especially as I have my own tech business... But the idea with the free upgrade is too get businesses to make the step quickly to a new universal platform... They are doing this to over come the usual reluctance businesses have due to costs... They don't want the same issue as they have at the moment with so many businesses still on Windows XP

While I will be advising people not to be early adopters... I can't imagine an SP1 in the first 12 months, but there will probably be lots of hot patches... For people to get the free upgrade they do need to upgrade within 12 months... So even if SP1 isn't released by then, I can see lots of businesses and people upgrading for free... Plus remember any new device, even if it is originally setup with Windows 8.1 will probably be upgraded to 10 at launch because it's free

We will see a huge influx of Windows 10 users fairly quickly... I have already started training my staff

I played SWTOR on Windows 10 Technical Preview for about a month without any issues and about same performance as I get in Windows 8.1.

Of course that doesn't neccesarily mean it will work as well for everyone else but I doubt we'll see many SWTOR problems related to the new Windows.

Did you have any driver issues... Ie what hardware do you have??

As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

I didn't care for Windows 8. I like Win7....so I will be very conflicted. I'll probably snag a copy, dual boot 7 & 10, but use only 7.

According to a CNET article, Windows 8.1 still hasn't hit 10% of all desktops worldwide. Win XP is about twice that.

I didn't care for Windows 8. I like Win7....so I will be very conflicted. I'll probably snag a copy, dual boot 7 & 10, but use only 7.

According to a CNET article, Windows 8.1 still hasn't hit 10% of all desktops worldwide. Win XP is about twice that.

I still use Win 7 too...

I think the free upgrade is too get every Win7 - Win8.1 to Windows 10 so Microsoft can say the OS is a success because everyone is using it...

I did here a rumour and it is only a rumour... That MS is thinking of making it subscription based... So each year you have to pay a fee... Probably why they give you the free upgrade first...

But I could see that being challenged in court and quickly over turned... No other OS is subscription based... At least I don't think so??... I think it's implied when you buy a device that the OS is part of the package... But all the new apps that it is supposed to have will probably be paid for like itunes and could possibly be subscription...

Oh hell no... never install a MS Operating System until the at least first service pack is released. Bill Gates could hand deliver it to my house on a silver platter and I wouldn't install it.

that and the every other rule.

98/win2k, skip ME, XP, skip vista, win7, skip 8 (8.1 doesn't count), win10....

Did you have any driver issues... Ie what hardware do you have??

I didn't have any problems with drivers either.

Core i5 3570k @4.2Ghz

MSI Z77A-G45

16GB RAM

Geforce GTX 970

Samsung 840 Evo SSD

Corsair K95 keyboard, Logitech G9x mouse

Fiio E09K + E17 sound

I didn't have any problems with drivers either.

Core i5 3570k @4.2Ghz

MSI Z77A-G45

16GB RAM

Geforce GTX 970

Samsung 840 Evo SSD

Corsair K95 keyboard, Logitech G9x mouse

Fiio E09K + E17 sound

That's good to know... It would be good if someone can let us know if AMD graphics drivers are working like the Nvidia ones obviously are... And also the AMD CPU/chipset ones for those poor soles using that platform (jokes... I'm an Intel Fanboy)

Windows 8.1 was garbage for the traditional desktop. I loved it on my surface pro, but on my gaming rig, awful.

Windows 8.1 was garbage for the traditional desktop. I loved it on my surface pro, but on my gaming rig, awful.

Seeing as how they expect to roll this out on Xbox one too... Lets assume Windows 10 will be optimised for gaming or at least have an easy game mode setting when booting or a way to switch to it while in the Desktop... Probably won't have a switching mode... So let's assume it will be built in

I guess that's your choice. The offer for free Win 10 is only for a year though. I'm not really familiar with how they handle those software updates, but I would rather get early rather than trying to skim the deadline. Besides, people with the preview I heard have been generally happy with it.

I think MS is taking notes from SOR - release it to the masses for bug testing!

True story on the service pack tho.

that and the every other rule.

98/win2k, skip ME, XP, skip vista, win7, skip 8 (8.1 doesn't count), win10....

This too. They were on a run there for a while with 3.1, 95, 98, 2k.. ME hit, and it's been the 'every other' ever since.

Edited by Dreadicus

I guess that's your choice. The offer for free Win 10 is only for a year though. I'm not really familiar with how they handle those software updates, but I would rather get early rather than trying to skim the deadline. Besides, people with the preview I heard have been generally happy with it.

Yes... There is a lot more public testing this time... So I think for the first time they might have an ok product at launch... Of course there will probably still be a few bugs... But that is too be expected with any new software roll out

Good news then.

Windows 10 is really just Windows 8.2 (or 8SP2 or whatever terminology you care to use) but with MS Marketing saying to change the name to avoid the bad (and mostly undeserved despite my dislike of the UI) rep 8's gotten, and skipping 9 to avoid confusion (however unlikely) with the 9x OSes.

Co-signing what Drock said.... I might make the switch before the year is up, but my gaming rig is running "win7 ultimate" and I've loved every minute of it. And I've learned whenever a major corporation wants to give me something "free".......there's ALWAYS a catch.

there's ALWAYS a catch.

The "catch" is that they're trying to push the Universal App model and get as many developers on board as possible, so they can build up the Windows phone ecosystem / XBOX ecosystem etc.

Windows 7 doesn't support the Universal App model, so it makes sense to provide the software free (without subscription fees).

It's all about the ecosystem, they still get license fees from OEM / system builders etc so they've already got their money from people that don't build their own PC.

Edit: While I generally agree about the SP1 update, this may well prove to be an exception to the rule for me.

Edited by Transcendent

• 1 month later...

I know this thread has been dead for a while, but...

I have been using Windows 10 Tech Preview for a couple of months, and now am using build 10041.

SWTOR is running perfectly for me. Some other games have had issues (DCUO, sadly - need my free fix from time to time), but I have had success with every other game thus far.

I was hesitant to throw it on my main PC, but my backups provide "death insurance" for my data, and my Win 7 DVDs are within arms' reach if all goes less-than-ideally.

DISCLAIMER: Use at your own risk! Your hardware may not play well with Windows 10 at this stage. Always keep your naproxen sodium nearby when experimenting with any new installations.

Edited by Tullowit

I know this thread has been dead for a while, but...

I have been using Windows 10 Tech Preview for a couple of months, and now am using build 10041.

SWTOR is running perfectly for me. Some other games have had issues (DCUO, sadly - need my free fix from time to time), but I have had success with every other game thus far.

I was hesitant to throw it on my main PC, but my backups provide "death insurance" for my data, and my Win 7 DVDs are within arms' reach if all goes less-than-ideally.

DISCLAIMER: Use at your own risk! Your hardware may not play well with Windows 10 at this stage. Always keep your naproxen sodium nearby when experimenting with any new installations.

Same here and it works great. I have no problems with my AMD CPU or Nvidia card. The only drivers I needed were the Nvidia drivers ... Win10 found everything else including my wireless headset.

The only problem I had was the Avast anti-virus software. It didn't like the new OS and hosed every app I ran radically affecting performance. Once removed, everything settled down and ran great.

• 4 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.