Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

The Contraband Slot Machine

EricMusco

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm at a point now where I just hope they come out with future slot machines that provides reputation for other vendors. If that's all this machine was intended to do, then fine, advertise it as such and no one can complain about the bait and switch tactic Bioware pulled on us resulting with this horrible unacceptable drop rate it provides now.

Hell, from where I see it, you have just as much a chance of a Cartel Certificate dropping as you do for the lame re-skinned mount. So neither will ever drop. I just want to build up rep with the other vendors.

I'm at a point now where I just hope they come out with future slot machines that provides reputation for other vendors. If that's all this machine was intended to do, then fine, advertise it as such and no one can complain about the bait and switch tactic Bioware pulled on us resulting with this horrible unacceptable drop rate it provides now.

Hell, from where I see it, you have just as much a chance of a Cartel Certificate dropping as you do for the lame re-skinned mount. So neither will ever drop. I just want to build up rep with the other vendors.

+1

I would hate to think the way the ball was dropped on this initial launch and subsequent fix would deter them from releasing future reputation only variants of the slot machines.

I have a faint hope that one of the reasons no further communication has been forthcoming is that future slot machines are undergoing a few in house iterations (something that was blatantly missing from the first launch). Maybe testing with a variety of loot tables or making sure that there is consistency in the release schedule.

I doubt we will hear anything on this subject from the devs at this point, although it was a subject worthy of having an official comment on the forums and not by 3rd party cantina reporting.

Still, time will tell and we still have the last pack in the current series, Master's Shadow, to get through before we see if the slot machines will make a return and if they do in what form.

+1

I would hate to think the way the ball was dropped on this initial launch and subsequent fix would deter them from releasing future reputation only variants of the slot machines.

I have a faint hope that one of the reasons no further communication has been forthcoming is that future slot machines are undergoing a few in house iterations (something that was blatantly missing from the first launch). Maybe testing with a variety of loot tables or making sure that there is consistency in the release schedule.

I doubt we will hear anything on this subject from the devs at this point, although it was a subject worthy of having an official comment on the forums and not by 3rd party cantina reporting.

Still, time will tell and we still have the last pack in the current series, Master's Shadow, to get through before we see if the slot machines will make a return and if they do in what form.

anybody heard anything about slot machines lately?

I've been playing this game on and off since launch and lurking the forums for who knows how long. That this thread has reached so many pages and has so much interest yet the slot machine is like .0002% of the content in the game blows my mind.

They nerfed it...so what? They nerf entire classes and planets (Makeb), which are way more integral to the game. I'm sure people would argue "but we paid real $$ for that slot machine". I'd tell you I paid real money for a CE version and I pay real money for a sub and just go with the flow. Looks like a common case of the gravy train ending.

I could see being upset with Bioware's lack of communication, but come on, over a vanity item? People got a weeks worth of freebies pretty much and they're still mad about these slot machine nerfs, yet were likely content prior to them being introduced. What does this silly machine give you again that you can't get through other means?

Edited by Papazmurf
Grammar

Developer tracker is your friend!

In other news...No.

I agree with the posters about having them for rep though. I'm personally too lazy to grind rep, but I do make decent amounts of credits. I would trade credits for rep just to have the achievement.

I've been playing this game on and off since launch and lurking the forums for who knows how long. That this thread has reached so many pages and has so much interest yet the slot machine is like .0002% of the content in the game blows my mind.

They nerfed it...so what? They nerf entire classes and planets (Makeb), which are way more integral to the game. I'm sure people would argue "but we paid real $$ for that slot machine". I'd tell you I paid real money for a CE version and I pay real money for a sub and just go with the flow. Looks like a common case of the gravy train ending.

I could see being upset with Bioware's lack of communication, but come on, over a vanity item? People got a weeks worth of freebies pretty much and they're still mad about these slot machine nerfs, yet were likely content prior to them being introduced. What does this silly machine give you again that you can't get through other means?

I think you're missing the point of what incensed many players enough to comment, and some long term forumites to report that they were leaving.

It wasn't the nerf per se, it was the fact that such an unbalanced and obviously broken item made it onto the live servers in the first place.

It would have been a non-issue if they had been launched as they currently are, a chance to top up rep on cartel vendors with a remote chance of getting a cartel certificate or a mount that can be obtained from the Yavin rep vendor for 100,000k.

The slot machine was a phenomenal addition to the game. It offered an additional avenue a player could take to obtain crafting material, reputation, and cartel certificates. It broke up the monotony of running DAILIES ( AKA the end game hamster wheel of death that I like to refer to it as) and gave incentive for people to use and visit Strongholds. Wow, what a concept! Let's give the players an item that can attract others to their stronghold! Too bad it ONLY lasted a week! LOL! There's a lot more to the Star Wars universe than blowing up stuff and stabbing it with a lightsaber. The gambling aspect was a great addition to the game. It was a break from the regular routine. Now, were the payouts too much? Yes. But the slot machines should have been set to drop at a reasonable rate. ALSO.... it's not just the slot machines that are the problem. The JAWA VENDORS ARE WORST! The price for materials on the Jawa vendors needs to be tiered! It's ludicrous that all crafting materials are slmost the same exchange rate in most cases. To be honest, if they tiered the exchange rates properly, the slot machines could have remained the same! Because as of right now, ANYONE who uses the Jawa vendors to get level 1 materials needs to get their head examined! LOL

anybody heard anything about slot machines lately?

Nope and you won't at the next Cantina event in Boston CAUSE THEY CANCELED IT! They claim due to weather conditions, even though the convention center is completely cleared of snow. They just don't want to deal with the barrage of questions and complaints about the Contraband Slot Machine.

Maybe "necro" is simply the term some posters have resorted to using to describe threads on topics they think no one should be posting on, regardless of how recently active the topic is.

Maybe those people should exercise self restraint and not open threads they don't care about or feel have passed their usefulness?!

The slot machine was a phenomenal addition to the game. It offered an additional avenue a player could take to obtain crafting material, reputation, and cartel certificates.

Let me fix that for you::

"The slot machine was a phenomenal addition to the game. It offered an additional avenue a player could take to obtain crafting material, reputation, and cartel certificates without having to do anything but watch tv and click a button every 5 seconds while completely ignoring crew skills, aka a major part of the crafting system."

I think you're missing the point of what incensed many players enough to comment, and some long term forumites to report that they were leaving.

It wasn't the nerf per se, it was the fact that such an unbalanced and obviously broken item made it onto the live servers in the first place.

It would have been a non-issue if they had been launched as they currently are, a chance to top up rep on cartel vendors with a remote chance of getting a cartel certificate or a mount that can be obtained from the Yavin rep vendor for 100,000k.

In truth, it was more than just the initial implementation of the CSM that caused this problem. It was the then subsequent post by Eric stating that the CSM was working as intended, though they would re-examine the crafting material drop rate, followed by the relatively quick supernerf of the CSM which affected all drop rates and the completely patronizing inclusion of a extremely rare drop rate mount, which did nothing to make up for the overnerf to begin with. It did of course, culminate in no further explanation except for a remark made at a relatively useless cantina event to the 30 or so people in the room, completely ignoring the rest of the playerbase.

"The slot machine was a phenomenal addition to the game. It offered an additional avenue a player could take to obtain crafting material, reputation, and cartel certificates without having to do anything but watch tv and click a button every 5 seconds while completely ignoring crew skills, aka a major part of the crafting system."

Let me fix that for you as well:

"The slot machine was a phenomenal addition to the game. It offered an additional avenue a player could take to obtain crafting material, reputation, and cartel certificates without having to do anything but watch tv and click a button every 5 seconds while completely ignoring crew skills, that also allow you to simply click a button while watching TV, only in this instance, it takes away a companion for hours on end to do so without any guarantee of getting what you want even after spending an inordinate fee to send the companion in the first place, aka a major part of the minor feature called a crafting system.

Edited by TravelersWay

The whole scavenging for materials is unappealing anyway you look at it! As for being able to sit back and watch tv and/or chat with friends while you play a slot machine...what's wrong with that??? Sure beats waiting for a timer to count down to zero in order to craft something! But, then again, I probably ruffled someone's feathers when I hit a sensitive nerve and called the end game dailies "The hamster wheel of Death" LOL!

Plus, why do they even call them crafting skills in the first place, when it takes no brain power at ALL to figure out how to max them out! LOL

Let's face it.... whether you watch tv and click on a s lot machine, or get your groove on with your dexterous skills with a mouse, keyboard and/or nostromo/gamepad.... it all boils down to this.... it's a video game! LOL!

Some people spend too much time on the hamster wheel and others spend too much money on the game itself, either way... both sides have their prerogatives. Why can't there be a comparable option for the slot machine to be equal to the so called crafting "skills"?

it did take more effort than sending your companions out to do the work while you go to lunch. why would an addition that had you actually PLAYING the game rather than logging off while it is done for you offend you? maybe because you are making boatloads of credits the way it was that you could sell to the gold spammers if desired.

One more thing.... even though it does take only seconds to play a slot machine, you're not guarranteed one of the universal crafting materials when you play it AND if they TIERED THE COSTS ON THE JAWA VENDORS like I suggested in the same post....the amount of time and the costs to obtain the higher level crafting material would increase. Like I said before... it's not the slot machines that are broken, its the jawa vendors that need an overhaul.

AND.... there's no NEED to fix my posts. You either didn't comprehend my entire post, or you just wanted to poke holes in the part you didn't like. That's okay, I think we're all getting used to that type of closemindedness and the singleminded players. LOL

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.