The Contraband Slot Machine

EricMusco

So let me get this straight.

Bioware is going to nerf the intended drop rates on the slot machines because a vocal MINORITY are crying about how they cannot make as much money now that people who have the machines have become self sustained in obtaining mats without the need to pay the bull$hit prices many of these people put mats up for or if they so choose, can undercut and threaten their death grip on mat selling via the gtn with the most hyper overreaction ever seen regarding the swtor economy saying the slot machines are breaking it??

REALLY???

Bioware/Eric, what about the rest of us? What about those of us who use the machines for our own use or our own guild and quietly build up resources for it?

I wonder if these same QQ'ers complaining about the slot machines ever complain about the behavior of big businesses or EA themselves. Funny how when it is their in game earning potential being threatened, now they want things their way and have their market be protected just like the big businesses in the real world smashing any small threatening competitor.

Taste the irony......... :jawa_frown:

The bold word should have been VOCAL. Even if it is a minority, I saw few posts of people pro-slot machines against the endless posts against them.

And yes, they are a minority, for all I know the same 20 people could've been creating all those anti slot machines threads, but they were the ones who spoke the loudest. Personally, I couldn't care less about the machines, I don't find them to be as "economy-breaking" as people claim, but I don't intend to spend any money on them either. However, you must admit the only people who made a mess of this were the anti slot machines. The ones pro slot machines should've posted more angry threads and they'd perhaps be noticed more.l

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will always be a market. There will always be a profit. You just need to adjust to the current circumstances in order to make it happen. It takes work. It takes dedication. It fundamentally takes patience.

+1 :)

I have also made tons credits since expansion. And was dedicated to adapt and see what market demanded at that time. Also same with everything else. Buy items correct time and resell correct time.

They can change this slot machine whatever they want but getting certificates other way is great. I never liked idea buying CM packs to get certificates randomly. Now i just get them via ingame currency and quite cheap. In future they can be used for various items :)

So looking at big picture good job Bioware and i'd like to see new slot machines for other reputations as well.

Edited by Divona

My initial impression is that they designed the drop rates as they are now as a way of making it easier for players to get Grade 11 mats.

And now, the markets are flooded and people who used to make a killing off of 20+ alts farming Adaptive Circuitry pieces and Autoimmune pieces are now finding it hard to sell their stuff since anyone with access to a slot machine can farm up the Jawa Junk needed to buy the stuff from the vendors and resell it.

On a positive note, people can now easily afford purple-quality stims and enhancements and augments.

But, that's what happens in markets. Something new comes along and completely up-ends the current market. People will adapt in time, I'm sure.

But, there's no need for the dramatic proclamations and declarations. Life goes on.

+1 :)

I have also made tons credits since expansion. And was dedicated to adapt and see what market demanded at that time. Also same with everything else. Buy items correct time and resell correct time.

They can change this slot machine whatever they want but getting certificates other way is great. I never liked idea buying CM packs to get certificates randomly. Now i just get them via ingame currency and quite cheap. In future they can be used for various items :)

So looking at big picture good job Bioware and i'd like to see new slot machines for other reputations as well.

Oh, I'm completely convinced that we'll see a new Slot machine for each of the cartel reps. Acolyte packs and hypercrates are undoubtedly selling like crazy right now. I'm hoping we get to see some on the GTN soon. The only ones on JC are single packs that are ranging from 750k up to 3mil. That's per 'Pack', not Hypercrate.

LOL ... well to he honest I have *NO* idea what to do with 121 CB certificates. ... I did think it was time to literally fill every empty space I have left in my favorite stronghold with dancers.... but I was a 'fraid the frame rate would be like a operation (ba-dum-bum!)

Buy 128 jawas. Put them all in one room and put a thrown in the middle. They can worship you.

Oh, I'm completely convinced that we'll see a new Slot machine for each of the cartel reps. Acolyte packs and hypercrates are undoubtedly selling like crazy right now. I'm hoping we get to see some on the GTN soon. The only ones on JC are single packs that are ranging from 750k up to 3mil. That's per 'Pack', not Hypercrate.

Is that demand driven by the rep or the crafting mats = money though? If the latter, once everyone that wants one has one, there's no reason to get one from the next pack.

[*]We added the Slot Machine as a fun idea based on the positive feedback from the Nightlife event, so spend those credits to your heart’s content!

^^This is exactly how I perceived it and I appreciate this little gimmick a lot!

Thanks a lot for the confirmation, Eric. I hope this will calm down people. :)

With that being said, we do hear the concern from many of you around the effects of the Jawa Junk’s drop rate on the economy. We are going to take a look at it and make changes accordingly. I will let you know once I know more. In the meantime, have fun! :rak_03:

You mean the 20 people who are angry that they cannot sell their stuff for totally overpriced, exaggerate prices anymore? Please don't listen to them. This machine gives all players who don't own millions a chance to participate better in this game as well. Now people can craft their own decos instead of having to spend millions of credits. Drop rate is good as it is!

Edited by JattaGin

Is that demand driven by the rep or the crafting mats = money though? If the latter, once everyone that wants one has one, there's no reason to get one from the next pack.

Certainly, no reason for people who are already maxed out on the Cartel Market reps. That said, I'm sure there's a sizable percentage of the player base that don't buy Cartel Packs often enough or in large enough quantities to be at Legend with all of them. Those people will have solid reason to buy the Slot Machines that will give them the rep tokens they need to hit Legendary.

This is to say 'nothing' of people who joined the game too late to get Contraband packs for the rep tokens and don't want to pay 20mil per Hypercrate.

^^This is exactly how I perceived it and I appreciate this little gimmick a lot!

Thanks a lot for the confirmation, Eric. I hope this will calm down people. :)

You mean the 20 people who are angry that they cannot sell their stuff for totally overpriced, exaggerate prices anymore? Please don't listen to them. This machine gives all players who don't own millions a chance to participate better in this game as well. Now people can craft their own decos instead of having to spend millions of credits. Drop rate is good as it is!

Here's a clue that you don't even have to buy: You always could have crafted your own decorations for less than it would have cost you to buy them. (You just didn't want to be troubled with all that crafting stuff, right?)

People really had these concerns?...

They were mostly concerned with the drop rate of the Jawa Junk.

With the addition of Grade 11 mats to the jawa vendors, the floor for stuff like Advanced Augments, purple-quality stims and crafted 186 artifice stuff collapsed due to the sudden flood mats gathered from the jawa vendors. And the slot machines added in a new way to get Jawa Junk quick and relatively easy and cheap.

Combine all of that and we're seeing a complete collapse of a lot of the crafting market. With the 'rare' mats suddenly not at all rare, no one's going to pay 125k for an augment anymore.

In short, the game just got a lot better for the people without a huge pile of credits, and simultaneously got a lot harder for crafters who have been reaping millions per day since SoR launched.

Honestly, I cant believe they found it necessary to post something about this, when it was so obvious people were just trolling it due to ravagers.

Really? They made it so you could reach Legend standing with a previously Cartel-only faction in literally one go and you don't think there's a reason to ask if it's intentional or not?

Forget the crafting thing, there's still that. And I love it.

So let me get this straight.

Bioware is going to nerf the intended drop rates on the slot machines because a vocal MINORITY are crying about how they cannot make as much money now that people who have the machines have become self sustained in obtaining mats without the need to pay the bull$hit prices many of these people put mats up for or if they so choose, can undercut and threaten their death grip on mat selling via the gtn with the most hyper overreaction ever seen regarding the swtor economy saying the slot machines are breaking it??

REALLY???

Bioware/Eric, what about the rest of us? What about those of us who use the machines for our own use or our own guild and quietly build up resources for it?

I wonder if these same QQ'ers complaining about the slot machines ever complain about the behavior of big businesses or EA themselves. Funny how when it is their in game earning potential being threatened, now they want things their way and have their market be protected just like the big businesses in the real world smashing any small threatening competitor.

Taste the irony......... :jawa_frown:

Shush you!! How dare you speak against over zelous capitalists who want to maintain their dominant power over the market?? Know your place!!!

But seriously I couldn't agree with you more. This should be kept in place. Its not like Bioware hasn't already made drives for more players to be self sustaining. The ease at which to obtain entry level gear crafted iss better for endgame as a whole. Plus it still takes rare mays to craft the high endgame gear so its not like the ecenomy is gonna tank and 198s will be selling ay 350k. But alas the rich must hold there monopoly over us all

Really? They made it so you could reach Legend standing with a previously Cartel-only faction in literally one go and you don't think there's a reason to ask if it's intentional or not?

Forget the crafting thing, there's still that. And I love it.

It's a god-send for players who started the game after those other Cartel packs were embargoed and you couldn't get the rep tokens except from people who were selling the relevant Packs at outrageously high prices.

You are using the machine slot exactly the way it was designed and intended to be used. The drop rates are entirely on BWs end and no way for you to temper with them.

Yeah, calling it "exploit" (whatever the reason was to do it ) was really silly.

Edited by wainot-keel

Shush you!! How dare you speak against over zelous capitalists who want to maintain their dominant power over the market?? Know your place!!!

But seriously I couldn't agree with you more. This should be kept in place. Its not like Bioware hasn't already made drives for more players to be self sustaining. The ease at which to obtain entry level gear crafted iss better for endgame as a whole. Plus it still takes rare mays to craft the high endgame gear so its not like the ecenomy is gonna tank and 198s will be selling ay 350k. But alas the rich must hold there monopoly over us all

Here's a free clue. You don't even have to buy it.

The "rich" in this game aren't privileged. They start at the same point as everyone else. There are no silver spoons. There's no daddy getting you into Yale because of his money, then you getting an awesome job because of that.

Every single player can make (could have made) all the credits they wanted.

They just chose not to.

Second free clue inbound.

There's no monopoly. Nobody has a death-grip on the market. Because of what I wrote in the first clue, anyone can come on in, start posting their stuff for sale, and that brings the overall cost of everything down yet again.

You are using the machine slot exactly the way it was designed and intended to be used. The drop rates are entirely on BWs end and no way for you to temper with them.

Yeah, calling it "exploit" (whatever the reason was to do it ) was really silly.

Yeah and I love it.

muh revan mask

No, I don't think there's a reason to ask if it's intentional that they lowered the barrier of entry on something that's been in the game for well over a year already.

Personally, I expect they'll continue to do this sort of thing as time rolls by for the other Cartel reputations as well.