The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Reverse the Ultimate Commendation decision!

SebastiaanZ

The change was needed and I am glad they did it.

When 2.0 came out with TFB and SV, those two operations were the only ways of obtaining Ultimate Commendations besides the Classic Ops Weekly (EV, KP, or EC HM) and the group finder ops weekly (and possibly the 55 HM FP weekly, but not sure on that). The older ops did not drop Ultimate Comms. Then DF and DP came out, and we had 4 operations for Ultimate Comms.

This is a new content cycle and its no different. Eventually as more content is released there will be more ways of obtaining them. This encourages people to learn and do the new operations to get their comms and at the same time get the new operations gear which is 10x better than anything on the vendors.

Not to mention, 186s and 192s from the vendors are more than enough to do every bit of content in the game without any issue.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If legacy gear did not exist or bound shells meant mods were character bound, then there might be a case for saying some amount of better than Basic commendations should be awarded for participating in older trivial content.

As it stood with 3.0, players were running level 55 16 M SM Ops that could be done with half that number all day on multiple alts for Ultimate comms to buy gear and pull mods for use with legacy gear to gear up one, two, multiple characters (or using legacy gear, multiple ACs) in just a few weeks time, which was absurd.

Do players who do not participate in current level 60 Ops content need ways to continue their character's gear progression? Yes they do, though it shouldn't be through farming old trivial content on a dozen alts.

Do players of all skill level need more content with a bit more diversity in difficulty level at 60? Yes they do, maybe through challenging solo dailies and weeklies or through a new 'easy mode' GF Ops difficulty.

Right now making this change without addressing non Operations progression, increasing the content available at 60, or offering more varied difficulty levels for level 60 content, has the potential to drive off players.

And regardless of what type of players these are, or how you personally feel about their play style choices, less players in game is not a good thing.

Edited by DawnAskham

Why are you happy? Less rewarding content and less incentive to run old Ops is something that makes you happy?!

I'm happy because there wasn't enough incentive to run the new content, when people could just run the old for 198s. Now they can run them for 192s if they wish. Old content should never give top tier gear (even if it's just comm gear).

This is exactly how it was in 2.0 and there were still plenty of ops forming for old content.

I'm happy because there wasn't enough incentive to run the new content, when people could just run the old for 198s. Now they can run them for 192s if they wish. Old content should never give top tier gear (even if it's just comm gear).

This is exactly how it was in 2.0 and there were still plenty of ops forming for old content.

I disagree...armorings and because they're NEW was incentive to run them.

Therein lies the problem. It was not challenging. Therefore why should it reward gear that is nearly the best available?

because you want to continue to have a larger percentage of players doing op content at all. because that is how smart devs stay employed. the uber few dont pay the bills. this decision will emphasize just how little actual content came out with 3.0. the dailies are a joke, once you have the rep you wont want to do them at all, 1 night a week to do sm rav/tos. if they had more 60 content on the way, this might work, but that isnt going to happen. they have gotten rid of content without anything to replace it with.

because you want to continue to have a larger percentage of players doing op content at all. because that is how smart devs stay employed. the uber few dont pay the bills. this decision will emphasize just how little actual content came out with 3.0. the dailies are a joke, once you have the rep you wont want to do them at all, 1 night a week to do sm rav/tos. if they had more 60 content on the way, this might work, but that isnt going to happen. they have gotten rid of content without anything to replace it with.

Absolutely true. 3.0 was anemic.

I think a good solution would be to just up the number of Ultimates given out for the Classic Op weekly quest. That way you won't have people farming SnV for 150 comms per week, yet there's still incentive to run the old stuff.

Overall I like the changes but I do agree that 2 Ops per week isn't quite enough for me.

I disagree...armorings and because they're NEW was incentive to run them.

What you state above, at least from that I have personally witnessed, didn't pan out. There were far more calls to run the older ops than the new ops on JC fleet. Of course, I am not on 24 hours a day... so this is my observation... your experience might be different. The sense I got was people wanted to earn the comms in the most efficient manner available to them (older content). Its not a matter of entitlement, or "taking the easy road", imo... but of time/effort decision. Groups were bumrushing TfB and SnV for comms so that their entrance into the new ops could be made easier with the higher teir comm gear.

That being said, the Lvl 60 Content was anemic (your other content)... of that there can be no doubt. I think they went a little far with the comm change (especially given the lack of lvl 60 missions that award Ultimates). Somebody did the math, and it is possible to weekly cap... but it made me shudder.

I think a better plan would have been to remove Ultimates from SnV , TfB, TC Story Mode... Leave them for HM. Leave DP/DF as is.

Edited by Drockter

What you state above, at least from that I have personally witnessed, didn't pan out. There were far more calls to run the older ops than the new ops on JC fleet.

Uh...that has zero to do with the rewards and absolutely everything to do with the difficulty. The new Ops were not at all PuG friendly.

Agreed. I'm cool with them getting rid of the comms in SM, but at least leave them in for HM / NiM. Bad decision BioWare. Bad.

I agree. Now we have zero reason to run ops other than Ravengers and ToS. Zero reason. They just knocked several items off the list from a shallow end game as it is.

Meh, it's their money they will be losing, but then again, I know they don't want subs. They want cartel coin buyers. Not sure EAware understands there are plenty of other games that people can migrate to when they make decisions against the masses and cater to the few.

Edited by beasthunt

I really think this game reward system is broken. It's a repeat ice grind bioware you need to come up with something better stand above the crowd and be the best.

Um...this is the same system MMO's have used since they were first created.

The gear ladder gets raised with the release of new content. Players strive for new gear levels. Eventually the ladder gets raised again.

It's all well and good to think that a system used to success for almost two decades by MMO's is "broken", but unless you have a better idea to entice players into new content it simply won't change.