The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is SoR a joke?

Jandi

Out of 4 chars who have finished SoR on my account, only one of them wasn't 60, and they were VERY close, at the tail end of 59. So I have to ask:

Are you a Scoundrel/Operative/Shadow/Assassin?

Edit: Oh wow nevermind didn't notice how big of a necro this was lmfao.

Edited by Djiini

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it wasn't. I was there for that and went from 55-60 with no problems.

Why then when i finished the Yavin 4 story on my character who has done the Prelude pre-3.0, he has barely reached level 59 and still has a full level to go to reach the cap? I've done all the quests, side quests and was almost never avoiding any groups of mobs. Granted, the said character is guildless and was never using any experience boosts, but it's ridiculous to think that those are supposed to be mandatory.

Edited by Trollokdamus

Why then when i finished the Yavin 4 story on my character who has done the Prelude pre-3.0, he has barely reached level 59 and still has a full level to go to reach the cap? I've done all the quests, side quests and was almost never avoiding any groups of mobs. Granted, the said character is guildless and was never using any experience boosts, but it's ridiculous to think that those are supposed to be mandatory.

Yeah.... It's not as though they give you those for a reason or anything.

Seriously? Do you hear yourself? They give me these things that increase my xp and I don't use them and now... Now there isn't enough xp.

Yeah.... It's not as though they give you those for a reason or anything.

Seriously? Do you hear yourself? They give me these things that increase my xp and I don't use them and now... Now there isn't enough xp.

Those things are supposed to help you level faster, not to be mandatory if you want to reach the cap with just questing. Why do i even have to explain this?

Edited by Trollokdamus

Im in the middle of leveling a smuggler. Stealthing threw everything i can. I was 57 after finishing makeb and started makeb at 47. If u are not 60 before you are done u have to be skipping everything but main story on rishi. Then it's only your fault for not being 60.

I returned to the game yesterday with a 7 day sub after a 15 month break.

I got the SoR exoansion because i wanted to play it now and did not care that it will go free in 2.5 months.

Since i alreadxy did all the FA missions 15 months ago i did not get any exp for them. And here is where the problem starts. I am now done with Yavin and am only 58.2. I am not not in a guild and i am not using boosts. And beisde 2 bonus quests and repeat dailys i did everything there is to do on both Rishi and Yavin.

Now i have to grind dailyes for a couple of days just to contnue the story on Ziost. And since i hate grinding i am already turned off again.

What a shame.

Those things are supposed to help you level faster, not to be mandatory if you want to reach the cap with just questing. Why do i even have to explain this?

No you've simply explained that you had the means to achieve what you wanted and are complaining that it didn't happen

No you've simply explained that you had the means to achieve what you wanted and are complaining that it didn't happen

True, but at the same time, you should not have have to use XP boosters or be in a guild with a 10% bonus simply to reach level cap.

I actually had the same problem with Makeb before 12x. I started it at 50, finished it at 52 (52..85 or so, close, but still 52).

Indeed, the general sentiment is that with 12x, you need to save some missions (since it cuts out at 55) and level up to 57 that way, then do SoR.

No it wasn't. I was there for that and went from 55-60 with no problems.

All that means is you did Forged Alliances/"Prelude to Shadow of Revan" when 3.0 hit instead of beforehand. Because they were released beforehand... for months. Not sure about Legacy of Rakata, but that wasn't exactly "new" when 3.0 came out either.

TLDR again: If you did Forged Alliances when it was released (which you should have) IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO HIT 60 just doing Shadow of Revan.

That's cold hard fact.

Just like the OP's post that everyone is replying to is from JANUARY 5TH THIS YEAR, 12x exp is here now, most characters are now doing Forged Alliances and hitting 57/58 before even starting Rishi, so there's no point talking about this anymore.

This was an annoying issue in January, now nobody even notices unless they've been away since then. So this topic is pointless really.

Edited by Transairion

All that means is you did Forged Alliances/"Prelude to Shadow of Revan" when 3.0 hit instead of beforehand. Because they were released beforehand... for months. Not sure about Legacy of Rakata, but that wasn't exactly "new" when 3.0 came out either.

TLDR again: If you did Forged Alliances when it was released (which you should have) IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO HIT 60 just doing Shadow of Revan.

That's cold hard fact.

Just like the OP's post that everyone is replying to is from JANUARY 5TH THIS YEAR, 12x exp is here now, most characters are now doing Forged Alliances and hitting 57/58 before even starting Rishi, so there's no point talking about this anymore.

This was an annoying issue in January, now nobody even notices unless they've been away since then. So this topic is pointless really.

I did it just fine on my Guardian and I did FA on release of when FA first came out. No XP Boost just being in my guild and playing normally.

I did it just fine on my Guardian and I did FA on release of when FA first came out. No XP Boost just being in my guild and playing normally.

Care to expand on that? Or provide any proof?

Bit of a stretch to go from

- every exp boost possible + 25 quests handed in when 3.0 dropped + doing every bonus and sidequest in SOR and not reaching 60 by the end

TO

- "Did it just fine" with just a 10% guild boost, if that

I'm talking about levelling via Shadow of Revan, not levelling via Shadow of Revan plus your daily dose of Weeklies/Dailies/PvP and Galactic Starfighter. Or queuing for the two SoR Flashpoints repeatedly.

Levelling via Shadow of Revan alone from 55, you couldn't hit 60. If you could hit 60, I would've hit 60 especially since I gained a near a level just from everything I handed in before I even started.

The X12 boost does not affect Shadow of Revan

Edited by Icestar

- every exp boost possible + 25 quests handed in when 3.0 dropped + doing every bonus and sidequest in SOR and not reaching 60 by the end

Please tell me this is hyperbole. I did FA on my main before Shadow of Revan dropped, so I would have been in this situation. XP boost + guild XP bonus got me to 59.8 ish before turning in The Enemy Within (which was still bugged at the time, early access). I kept trying at Revan in hopes of getting lucky as others had seemed to based on comments on the forum and in the process I got xp (even if you died, you had to wait for Revan to kill all the NPCs and you got xp for all of his kills, not sure if that still happens since I haven't died on him after the bug was fixed), enough so to get me to 60. Turning in the Enemy Within would have gotten me to 60 as well but by the time I did manage to get lucky and beat him, I was already 60. Keep in mind, I didn't have any missions queued to turn in when 3.0 dropped either. Started SoR as soon as I was able to and went through it and it alone and I got to 60 just fine.

It's not impossible to get to 60 by the end of SoR without Forged Alliances. Harder, sure. Impossible? Clearly not.

The X12 boost does not affect Shadow of Revan

But it does affect pre-55, and smart levellers will do Makeb and get almost 600k experiance slapped onto their reach-55 level and be halfway to 56 before 12x stops counting.

Forged Alliances, now known as "Prelude", gives almost 2-3 levels alone before even reaching Rishi, which is where SoR starts. If you're not over level 55 by the time you start SoR now, then you have to be doing something very wrong.

In January, starting Rishi with 0exp banked up at level 55 was the norm.

Please tell me this is hyperbole. I did FA on my main before Shadow of Revan dropped, so I would have been in this situation. XP boost + guild XP bonus got me to 59.8 ish before turning in The Enemy Within (which was still bugged at the time, early access). I kept trying at Revan in hopes of getting lucky as others had seemed to based on comments on the forum and in the process I got xp (even if you died, you had to wait for Revan to kill all the NPCs and you got xp for all of his kills, not sure if that still happens since I haven't died on him after the bug was fixed), enough so to get me to 60. Turning in the Enemy Within would have gotten me to 60 as well but by the time I did manage to get lucky and beat him, I was already 60. Keep in mind, I didn't have any missions queued to turn in when 3.0 dropped either. Started SoR as soon as I was able to and went through it and it alone and I got to 60 just fine.

It's not impossible to get to 60 by the end of SoR without Forged Alliances. Harder, sure. Impossible? Clearly not.

I'd claim this just as likely to be hyperbole.

Unless you're talking about 3.0 public release and not Early Access (which I was part of, but since you mention Enemy Within being so terribly bugged I presume you mean Early Access), there shouldn't be any differences. Except your also claiming to have got to 60 just fine without really backing it up with anything but vague "I did it", so I'm not sure what to tell you.

All I know is I was pretty peeved to get through Shadow of Revan, through all the bugged missions (it took over 30+ attempts on Enemy Within solo before I saw my first orb mechanic happen, let alone got one where it didn't bug or bugged in a beneifical way that allowed me to complete it) having done everything 3.0 asked for just to find I'm not at level cap. Had to go and complete the entirety of Makeb's Staged Weekly before hitting 60 on the 2nd-last quest.

Shadow of Revan Early Access I essentially gamed the system by questlog-filling, and didn't reach cap by the end. So someone reaching 60 without gaming the system makes no sense to me.

Please note that "I levelled only via SoR" becomes invalid if you:

- PvPed any

- GSFed any

- did any FP's, including doing the SoR FP's more than once each

- did Yavin's Weekly which unlocks after SoR ends, or any of Rishi's dailies more than once

There's a lot of ways you could've reached 60 "via SoR", as long as you conveniently forget things. But I'm a meticulous deliberate quester on my main especially, following guides to experience everything I might miss... so when I finished SoR within the day and wasn't even 60 yet, while having a full questlog to cheat exp beforehand... yeah.

At the end of the day, this debate is still irrelevant and we can only hope there'll be enough exp in the upcoming expansion to reach level cap when it goes up. Or it won't, and we'll have to go do other things anyway.

Frankly as long as they don't repeat "You can only buy 60 gear at 60!" so every Basic Comm over the Comm cap was wasted, I'd be a lot happier.

Edited by Transairion

I'd claim this just as likely to be hyperbole.

Unless you're talking about 3.0 public release and not Early Access (which I was part of, but since you mention Enemy Within being so terribly bugged I presume you mean Early Access), there shouldn't be any differences. Except your also claiming to have got to 60 just fine without really backing it up with anything but vague "I did it", so I'm not sure what to tell you.

XP boost + guild XP bonus got me to 59.8 ish before turning in The Enemy Within (which was still bugged at the time, early access). I kept trying at Revan in hopes of getting lucky as others had seemed to based on comments on the forum and in the process I got xp (even if you died, you had to wait for Revan to kill all the NPCs and you got xp for all of his kills, not sure if that still happens since I haven't died on him after the bug was fixed), enough so to get me to 60. Turning in the Enemy Within would have gotten me to 60 as well but by the time I did manage to get lucky and beat him, I was already 60.

That's out of the way.

All I know is I was pretty peeved to get through Shadow of Revan, through all the bugged missions (it took over 30+ attempts on Enemy Within solo before I saw my first orb mechanic happen, let alone got one where it didn't bug or bugged in a beneifical way that allowed me to complete it) having done everything 3.0 asked for just to find I'm not at level cap. Had to go and complete the entirety of Makeb's Staged Weekly before hitting 60 on the 2nd-last quest.

Shadow of Revan Early Access I essentially gamed the system by questlog-filling, and didn't reach cap by the end. So someone reaching 60 without gaming the system makes no sense to me.

How many bonus missions did you do? How many enemies did you fight, did you make a point to skip enemies if you could? What types of enemies did you fight? Just the standard and occasional strongs or the elites as well? Were you, in fact, using XP boosts and guild bonuses? Any rest XP built up?

There are a lot of differences between playthroughs. Saying "I didn't get to 60 at launch without FA so it's IMPOSSIBLE", with that in mind, is absolutely hyperbole. Because, again...

Please note that "I levelled only via SoR" becomes invalid if you:

- PvPed any

Nope.

- GSFed any

Nope.

- did any FP's, including doing the SoR FP's more than once each

Nope.

- did Yavin's Weekly which unlocks after SoR ends, or any of Rishi's dailies more than once

And obviously not since I said I was 60 before I turned in Enemy Within. I also did this all over the course of one day so there was no way for me to do any dailies more than once.

There's a lot of ways you could've reached 60 "via SoR", as long as you conveniently forget things. But I'm a meticulous deliberate quester on my main especially, following guides to experience everything I might miss... so when I finished SoR within the day and wasn't even 60 yet, while having a full questlog to cheat exp beforehand... yeah.

I'm not conveniently forgetting anything, I'm actually specifically remembering talking to my friend on an IM service and mentioning how I was annoyed that I was so close to hitting 60 but couldn't finish the mission because of the bug with Revan. I also specifically remember not breaking my typical preference of not leaving planet until I'm done with it with Rishi and Yavin, meaning I didn't leave to go do other dailies or anything else. Only thing that's exempt there is trips to my stronghold for the GTN and such, which didn't affect my XP gain since I wasn't there long enough to accrue any significant rest xp outside of whatever I may have had prior to starting if any at all.

I don't know how you managed to not hit 60 throughout Shadow of Revan if you "cheated xp" beforehand, especially considering I'm typically around 56, maybe halfway to 57, when I finish FA on characters these days (have only done the backlog 3 Ilum missions thing once on my most recent playthrough) and I get to 60 before ever touching Yavin. Typically either just before Battle of Rishi or during it. But with all of that said, I'll take your word for it that you didn't hit it. Doesn't matter. Because from my experience at least, I was able to hit 60 and as such it was/is not impossible to hit 60 without FA.

That's my issue here. This isn't the only topic about this subject, there have been many since SoR released (even recently), and every time I see somebody say it's "IMPOSSIBLE" to reach 60 if you already did FA I have to roll my eyes because it's not. As I said before, it's absolutely harder, but it can be done and has been done. I doubt I'm the only one either.

Frankly as long as they don't repeat "You can only buy 60 gear at 60!" so every Basic Comm over the Comm cap was wasted, I'd be a lot happier.

Agreed on this, though. I imagine that'd require a change to all vendors since that happens regardless of whether you're going for endgame gear or just low level gear that's above your current level, but it shouldn't be a thing to begin with in my opinion. There's nothing you could do with the armor outside of setting it aside for when you CAN use it, since everything with a level requirement outside of mods is bind on pickup and you can't equip it or rip the mods since it's above your level, so restricting the purchase is just redundant and a hindrance at this point. Just causes you to have to go back when you're at level to pick it up then.

No, really. I finish Yavin and I'm sitting at lvl58. I'm supposed to grind dailies for the last level and a half? While sitting at 1k comms with literally nothing worth using them on.

This is all you can come up with? An afternoons worth of content? Other MMO's release more content as free content patches. Hell, WoW's daily areas have more content than this.

Well, if I had to guess, you skipped a bunch of side content. I've got 9 60s, and only one didn't hit 60 before I finihed SoR. My advice would be to just do the Yavin, Rishi, CZ-198, Oricron and Makeb dailies until you get to 60, then do Ziost, then use your Comms to fill the gaps since Ziost doesn't give you a piece for every slot.

How many bonus missions did you do? How many enemies did you fight, did you make a point to skip enemies if you could? What types of enemies did you fight? Just the standard and occasional strongs or the elites as well? Were you, in fact, using XP boosts and guild bonuses? Any rest XP built up?

There are a lot of differences between playthroughs. Saying "I didn't get to 60 at launch without FA so it's IMPOSSIBLE", with that in mind, is absolutely hyperbole. Because, again...

It was a complete playthrough, that's the issue here. Not "I did what I felt like, which happened to be two quests", not "I did the FP's repeatedly", not anything like that... there's no room for deviation, cause I literally did everything SoR offered me.

I did every bonus mission, for every quest. I used Dulfy to ensure I found every sidequest, and did all of them. Even that God-forsaken Meat Tree quest. I killed everything in the quest instance to ensure I didn't accidentally miss a bonus, outside instances I killed everything in the way of the objective and everything nearby until the bonus was completed. I didn't stop and kill literally every mob I saw, but I'm pretty sure most players don't as it'd take a lifetime to get anywhere and respawn rates can put you in an infinite loop, so it wasn't like I was skipping key exp.

10% guild bonus + 25% gold exp boost always on, reapplying when it ran out. Rest exp I'm not sure how it worked at level cap, since as far as I know you can't actually see any rest exp buildup once capped anyway. If we assume I had zero (though I was often in Stronghold or Fleet at least for periods on GTN and log out either place, so surely some existed), rest exp only applies to mobs... half a level's worth? Perhaps, but I'm assuming I actually had rest exp.

Unless for whatever reason rest exp only started to apply to 55's once 3.0 patch hit, in which case timezones and such mean people can play "on day of release" but get different levels of rested exp. Which'd be a little bizarre...

That's my issue here. This isn't the only topic about this subject, there have been many since SoR released (even recently), and every time I see somebody say it's "IMPOSSIBLE" to reach 60 if you already did FA I have to roll my eyes because it's not. As I said before, it's absolutely harder, but it can be done and has been done. I doubt I'm the only one either.

If you turn this around though, then I've got just as much eyerolling whenever people claim it IS possible to reach 60 via SoR, when I gamed the system and did everything yet still couldn't. It defies logic! Especially since I didn't grey anything out, either.

But I guess my biggest question must be: how?

If I did everything, and gamed the system, how could I not hit 60 but someone who didn't game the system DID hit 60? How borked was SoR Exp during Early Access? Will it still be borked in the future?

Edited by Transairion

I skipped RotHC on my healer (like I skipped 40 pages of this thread) because I see enough of Makeb doing weeklies on my main, and got her to 60 about halfway through Rishi.

You know those little blue boxes you get from class missions that say "XP"? Use them. I did nothing but class missions on that entire character's run from 1-60, only used like three XP boosts. Being in a 10%+ guild from about level 20 helped, too, I'm sure.

Care to expand on that? Or provide any proof?

Bit of a stretch to go from

TO

- "Did it just fine" with just a 10% guild boost, if that

I'm talking about levelling via Shadow of Revan, not levelling via Shadow of Revan plus your daily dose of Weeklies/Dailies/PvP and Galactic Starfighter. Or queuing for the two SoR Flashpoints repeatedly.

Levelling via Shadow of Revan alone from 55, you couldn't hit 60. If you could hit 60, I would've hit 60 especially since I gained a near a level just from everything I handed in before I even started.

Landed on Rishi, did every daily and quest I came along plus every associated bonus. Killed silvers and golds along the way, because those provide great xp. Only did blood hunt and battle of rishi once. Completed Yavin and was 60.

If you turn this around though, then I've got just as much eyerolling whenever people claim it IS possible to reach 60 via SoR, when I gamed the system and did everything yet still couldn't. It defies logic! Especially since I didn't grey anything out, either.

Not really. Proving something is impossible means showing that it cannot be done, meaning nobody can do it. You not being able to do it, or even a few people not being able to do it, doesn't prove it's impossible. It merely provides one or more cases where it didn't happen. So you, speaking from experience, can't say it's impossible. You can just say you weren't able to do it. Proving it is possible, though, only takes one experience because even if only one person did it (and again, I doubt I'm the only one that did) that shows it's not impossible because for it to be impossible nobody could do it.

You're assuming, in order to get to that conclusion, those who say they were able to do it are lying. Why would somebody lie about this? Doesn't make you uber leet because you got to 60 in a certain timeframe, doesn't show skill, and I would even go so far as to say luck could very well have played a part in me hitting it personally (elite spawns, for example, because I compulsively attack elites on sight). I wouldn't be annoyed by comments of it being impossible if I hadn't done it myself and honestly, there's not much that can be discussed if we're assuming the other is lying.

But I guess my biggest question must be: how?

If I did everything, and gamed the system, how could I not hit 60 but someone who didn't game the system DID hit 60? How borked was SoR Exp during Early Access? Will it still be borked in the future?

Again, I went through SoR on my main during Early Access so my experience was during Early Access.

As for how, one thing I'd point to is the possibility that you're underestimating the experience gains from elite level enemies. The first area of Rishi alone has numerous elite level mobs all over, with a bunch of strongs to boot, and the elites typically give 2-3k experience each on Rishi and Yavin. The bonus missions give 18k last time I checked (with a boost) so that's 9 elites as the equivalent of a bonus mission not considering the strongs and standard enemies killed in between all of the missions. I easily run into 9 elites during the first area of Rishi alone and can name several off the top of my head (the Jungle Wampas and Giant Orobirds being the two I run into most often as they spawn on the routes you go through for the missions in that area).

They add up after a while considering how often they respawn. The ones I mentioned I run into several times in the same spot because they respawn fairly quickly so you'll likely hit them again on your way back. That's obviously not going to make up an entire million+ XP but again, there can be some pretty big differences in playthroughs beyond just those elite enemies. Blood Hunt's challenges have an RNG element to them as far as I can tell, and they don't all have the same XP turnout since some are single enemies while others make you fight packs of enemies before you get the champion mob. Battle of Rishi has a ton of enemies that you can skip entirely without even really having to try so while one person could fight them all another could simply kill what was necessary and move on. You could also have the FP enemy XP boosts through legacy to boost XP from those enemies even further. I didn't have it with my main as far as I can remember, I don't think I have those perks unlocked at all on my main, but it's certainly a thing. Lore items and out of the way area discoveries (the creepy forest area on Yavin near the Imperial camp, for instance) are another difference.

You add all of that stuff up and you could get a huge XP fluctuation between playthroughs even if you did all of the missions with all of the boosts possible. At the end of the day I can only speak from my experience, and my experience was that I got to 60 from SoR alone, without FA. Barely, as I've said numerous times, but I hit it all the same so I don't think it's impossible.

I keep hitting 60 long before I even reach Yavin each time. *shrugs*

Tried using rest areas when not online and saved all your boosts till after 55? Try that as well as Legacy xp boosts along with a guild could help. I always am above everything before I get there.

I keep hitting 60 long before I even reach Yavin each time. *shrugs*

Tried using rest areas when not online and saved all your boosts till after 55? Try that as well as Legacy xp boosts along with a guild could help. I always am above everything before I get there.

This does not happen on new characters that you run through the content now. It did happen on character that did finish Forged Alliances before SoR launched, so they got no XP from those, and were on 55 with 0/<level 56 XP> when SoR launched.

Any new character hits 55 by Ilum, so if you play that or even Makeb after it, you hit 60 even on Rishi.

This does not happen on new characters that you run through the content now. It did happen on character that did finish Forged Alliances before SoR launched, so they got no XP from those, and were on 55 with 0/<level 56 XP> when SoR launched.

Any new character hits 55 by Ilum, so if you play that or even Makeb after it, you hit 60 even on Rishi.

huh? Yeah, still get to 55 very quickly before finishing Ilum itself or Makeb, never did both together.

huh? Yeah, still get to 55 very quickly before finishing Ilum itself or Makeb, never did both together.

This topic was created on launch of SoR. It was impossible to reach 60 by just doing SoR content if you had character that already did everything that was to do in the game up to that point, even when using all kinds of boosts.

It is now extremely irrelevant, so no point in keeping it on front page, people should just let it die in depths of forum history.

This topic was created on launch of SoR. It was impossible to reach 60 by just doing SoR content if you had character that already did everything that was to do in the game up to that point, even when using all kinds of boosts.

It is now extremely irrelevant, so no point in keeping it on front page, people should just let it die in depths of forum history.

But my guardian got to 60 just doing SoR content on 3.0 launch after having done the FA when they first came out before hand. It wasn't impossible.