New System!

Amilyne

Well my new system is finally in. What a difference SWTOR! All the scenery is so Beautiful, Especially Rishi, just awesome.

Just wondering the Frames rate counter, on my old system it would flash between Red and Green, (around 15fps on Rishi if I was lucky). Now I'm getting just solid Red, what do the two colours mean? It's around 80 -110 fps on Rishi but usually sits at a solid 110 fps.

Unleashing the Beast!

:eek: Intel Core i7-5930k - Asus X99 Deluxe - Zotac GeForce GTX 980 4GB AMP! - Corsair RM 850W - Corsair Dominator Platimum 16GB DDR4 - Samsung 840 Pro Series 512 GB SSD Corsair Graphite Series 760T Black Steel ATX Full Tower Gaming Case - Window 7 Professional :rak_03:

From an offical post from June 2012:

Greetings All,

So the actual explanation of the FPS display colors:

Red = Rendering bound/Video Card

Green = Simulation bound/CPU

Yellow = Mix of both

Current FPS (Lowest FPS over the last 10 seconds or so)

@nrazen_nl: some things just don't get into the patchnotes.

Thank you for playing Star Wars: The Old Republic

Also, gratz on your new system. :)

You miss a normal hdd blue or black for ur games.

Dont use ur SSD with games that have DRMs... some (the new fifa, dragon age I. etc that use drms like DENUVO) tempt to destroy ssds. So, I would suggest you to get a normal hdd as well.

Enjoy your new system.

ps: I saw it in the news, Seagate released 8tb magnetic hdds for 260 euro or 350bucks each... 150mb r/w.

Edited by Oyranos

You miss a normal hdd blue or black for ur games.

Dont use ur SSD with games that have DRMs... some (the new fifa, dragon age I. etc that use drms like DENUVO) tempt to destroy ssds. So, I would suggest you to get a normal hdd as well.

Enjoy your new system.

ps: I saw it in the news, Seagate released 8tb magnetic hdds for 260 euro or 350bucks each... 150mb r/w.

Interesting, I've read that the SSD speeds things up. I do have a 1TB drive also. Right now though SWTOR is installed on the SSD.

Yeah me too :)

I allready bought the peripheral parts (corsair modular AX psu) case, hdd, ssd (128gb 840 pro for OS and antivirus) and ram..

Now only thing left is mobo/cpu and i am not sure about gpu, I allready use a gtx 780. I am going for 5820k. I wait for revision 2 mobos :)

PS: if you google about the new drm system, it forces hdds to write and read 10.000 times more than the normal drms and if you use an ssd, it burns the memory blocks. Its all over the tech forums... EA must grow up and abandon drms... An example is the witcher 3 game that comes out next year, its 100% offline game without drms and people appreciate that and they will buy it.

it will be a nice test and proof, if witcher sells good or not. Instead of adding drm, they give you moding tools and support if you wish some online, so moding community will embrace it. Anyway, If I win in a competition a ps4 because I dont buy consoles, I will also buy dragon age ... lol

Edited by Oyranos

I'm waiting to upgrade my rig myself. My system is about 4 years old and about due. I'm waiting to see what new SSD interfaces emerge as I hear there's a bottleneck with SATA.

The latest, fastest SSDs use PCIe lanes for more throughput. They come in a couple of new form factors.

M.2 - M.2 is a new Small Form Factor (SFF). An M.2 socket is often mounted directly on a newer motherboard - new 9x series chipsets from Intel often have 2 PCIe lanes expressly designed for M.2 and SATAexpress SSDs

There are 2 types of M.2 connects though - SATA and PCIe - so you need to be sure what mode(s) the socket will except, and what mode the particular M.2 SSD runs.

PCIe - there are some expensive SSDs that plug into a PCIe slot that are made up of a RAID array of common SATA based controllers and PCIe interconnect chips. These are designed for enterprise use.

There are some Intel units that use a new controller that directly connects via PCIe, but these too are relatively expensive.

New on the market are M.2 PCIe SSDs that sit on a PCIe daughter card that plugs into a regular x2 or x4 PCIe slot, such as the new Plextor M6e.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2104861/plextor-m6e-ssd-review-its-faster-than-a-sata-drive-and-not-much-more-expensive.html

More of these types will be available soon, and the daughter cards are becoming available, without the SSD.

SATAexpress - similar to M.2 in performance and connection (SATA or PCIe). Given the rise of M.2 and PCIe daughter cards, SATAexpress seems to be dead in the water.

---------------

There is no problem with running SWTOR from an SSD. (It only speeds up loading times, of course)

PS: if you google about the new drm system, it forces hdds to write and read 10.000 times more than the normal drms and if you use an ssd, it burns the memory blocks. Its all over the tech forums... EA must grow up and abandon drms... An example is the witcher 3 game that comes out next year, its 100% offline game without drms and people appreciate that and they will buy it...

Except, if you actually read real information on it, instead of the rumors you read, you find everything about that is wrong.

It's not "Denuvo" It's "Denuvo Anti-Tamper". Denuvo is the name of the company.

As you can imagine from the name, it's not DRM, it's to prevent tampering ( hacks/etc. ) and reverse-engineering of the executable. Naturally though, this does add a layer of protection over any existing DRM, but if not DRM is specifically added you would still be able to freely pirate it, regardless of DAT. ( In the case of Dragon Age, Origin is the DRM they use. )

Most importantly: DAT doesn't write to the drive at all, and is perfectly safe for SSDs.

If you actually follow all of the links and such back for the old rumor, it comes down to a single person on I think it was Reddit talking about how FIFA was doing a ton of writes to their drive, and they just assumed it was DAT that caused it because they couldn't think of any reason the game would do that. Of course, it turns out it was indeed the game, which was already notoriously problematic before the whole DAT fiasco. ( As pointed out in some posts by Bioware on the DA forums, you can't tell the difference between different parts of the EXE writing to the drive unless you can remove those parts, which pretty much requires access to the source. )

Moral of the story: Put your games on your SSD. They'll run much faster:)

Edited by zechio

its on reddit, I wont post any link, but I could give you the paragraph speaking about it.

Resource monitors for RAM and CPU consumption numbers, memory >viewer for trying to figure out what makes it tick and track address >issues, SSD analysis tools for those delicious dead blocks and data >tracking Wanna know average number of times parts of LotF exe code >are tossed around between RAM and HDD in the span of one >hour? 150000 copy/write iterations. That's about 10000 times >more than usual. DRM constantly decrypts the game code into >the memory and encrypts it back. This is the most bullcrap usage >of encryption software I've ever stumbled upon. And even though >code chunks are quite small(couple of kilobytes per go at worst), they >are all stored in one memory block. And playing the game for >4-8 hours(depends >on SSD quality) means that you can say goodbye >to that block

and the original info comes from Russian Gamemag, so actually its not rumors, its information from a gaming magazine (?).... So if I was any gamer, I would avoid the least to add it in any ssd. But I would use a normal hdd for it. Personally I avoid games with drms, I love to play offline games, but not "offline games" and be able to play it offline, you need internet connection.

I dont say NO to online features, but drms and anti piracy drms, are not features... Also 3rd party applications, such as steam or origin or UPLAY.

So the only way for me to buy it and play is consoles, but I dont buy consoles! Who knows, I may win one ... lol

Edited by Oyranos

its on reddit, I wont post any link, but I could give you the paragraph speaking about it.

and the original info comes from Russian Gamemag, so actually its not rumors, its information from a gaming magazine (?)....

Just because it comes from a magazine, doesn't change it from being a rumor ( Unfortunately...just ask all of those trash magazines at supermarket checkouts ) . Thanks for finding the original, but as I said, the current up to date information from the actual sources ( both Denuvo and Bioware in the case of DA:I ), is that DAT does not write to the drive at all, making all of this completely false. It was something else causing the writes mentioned, not DAT.

Its not a rumor, its an analysis of a gaming magazine. Its an opinion.

here is another article... they took interview from the cracking team Denuvo (because this company, before it becomes a company, it was a pirate team, they crack the games)...

I will add it in spoilers.

Denuvo has contacted us about our previous article regarding its protection system/technology. As the team noted, its solution is not basically a DRM but rather a Anti-Tamper technology. Moreover, its solution is called Denuvo Anti-Tamper and not just Denuvo (Denuvo is the name of the company itself).

As Denuvo told us:

” Our Anti-Tamper technology prevents the debugging, reverse engineering and changing of executable files to strengthen the security of games.

It is not a DRM solution (as we don’t manage rights / act as license management in any way), but rather, Denuvo Anti-tamper protects DRM solutions, such as Origin Online Access or the Steam license management system, from being circumvented.”

But what about the rumored crack for Dragon Age: Inquisition? As Denuvo said, no working crack has been released as of yet for any of its games.

Furthermore, Denuvo answered to our open question on whether it will be able to tweak and enhance Denuvo Anti-Tamper in order to fight back the teams that want to exploit it.

” To answer the open question at the end of your article: No system is infallible, including ours (some press releases call our Anti-Tamper solution “uncrackable”, we are long enough in this business to have a more realistic view). Our job is to keep learning from what has worked and how things have been circumvented so we can always strive to be a step ahead of those who want to pirate our customers’ products.”

Last but not least, the team addressed the SSD rumors and claimed that they were false.

“Completely wrong rumor which is repeated over and over although many 3rd party tests (as well as we) state that our solution does not perform read / write operations to the HDD (hence we have no negative impact on the lifetime of SSDs or any other hardware component).”

Enjoy!

But neither the less, I would never use any ssd for gaming after all.

Edited by Oyranos

@OP - I don't want to bash your new rig because it is a very good computer, but as a Corsair fanboy myself, I feel obligated to share this bit of information from the OCN forums.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1455892/why-you-might-not-want-to-buy-a-corsair-rm-psu

Corsair has made some less than great decisions on who to partner with to make many of their most recent PSUs, the RM series is most notable among these. They aren't bad PSUs though, they just aren't always as reliable as other PSUs in the same price range. Performance is almost always very good from all Corsair products, but the prices have been creeping up slowly the last few years and their build quality has slipped a little.

Your PSU will be more than enough power to safely run everything in your case, but its a good idea to be aware of the short-comings these products have so you can keep an eye on them closely while they are still under warranty or eligible for an RMA. At the first sign of any of the problems described in that forums, I would begin the RMA process. In the past after an RMA has been completed, you get a new warranty period from the day they ship the replacement. By staying on top of this you can be certain you limit the chances of you ending up with a dead PSU and no usable warranty to get it replaced.

Its also possible that Corsair has shored up the build quality in the RM series since this review was written. Corsair has several employees who participate on the OCN forums to help assist their customers who frequent the discussions there. They also tend to use the discussions to help steer the direction they take with new products. In fact, a few of the new cases they have released in 2014 were designed with input from OCN users who were registered as owners of older Corsair cases.

Its not a rumor, its an analysis of a gaming magazine. Its an opinion...

But neither the less, I would never use any ssd for gaming after all.

Stating opinion/speculation is the source of many rumors. ( Obviously the other kind being outright lies. ) Even in the quote you mention, they call it the "SSD Rumors".

I don't know why you wouldn't use an SSD for gaming, as that's really a big part of what they are for. However, that's your choice:) Just don't try to convince others that something bad will happen if they do. It would take the better part of a century for example for DA:I to kill a SSD. The OS is actually far more write intensive, and harsher on SSDs ( and HDDs for that matter. ), but it's still a good idea to put the OS on a SSD as well. The performance gains are quite nice.

For anyone that can't afford, or don't want a SSD: The 10,000 RPM HDDs are very nice. I've also heard decently good things about Hybrid Drives ( A standard 7200 RPM drive with a small amount of SSD, typically 8 gigs. ) I mostly dislike the Hybrids though because you can't control what goes onto the SSD part. You just have to hope it's doing as good of a job as it can.

Lucky!! And, grats! Woo!

Currently, I get about 10-15 fps on solo pve content. Around the same in FPs. But, in level 30+ PvP, I'm doing great to get 10 FPS, max. Too much going on for my laptop to handle! Haha.

I still do pretty good in PvP... most of the time. Sometimes, the FPS will drop to below 5, and I have to wait a moment before moving again. But, since I know my rotations and such and I've been playing like that for years, I've gotten used to it. I imagine whenever I get a decent computer, I'll have to get used to playing smooth frames! Haha. I imagine being able to see my character take every step while walking, instead of just sometimes jumping forward. That would be awesome!

Sometimes, I'll turn the graphics on ultra just to see what it's like. Turns out, those little light droids that float above your head actually make a difference in places when you don't play on very low!

You make me jealous, TC!

Edited by SkyCakeLight

@OP - I don't want to bash your new rig because it is a very good computer, but as a Corsair fanboy myself, I feel obligated to share this bit of information from the OCN forums.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1455892/why-you-might-not-want-to-buy-a-corsair-rm-psu

Corsair has made some less than great decisions on who to partner with to make many of their most recent PSUs, the RM series is most notable among these. They aren't bad PSUs though, they just aren't always as reliable as other PSUs in the same price range. Performance is almost always very good from all Corsair products, but the prices have been creeping up slowly the last few years and their build quality has slipped a little.

Your PSU will be more than enough power to safely run everything in your case, but its a good idea to be aware of the short-comings these products have so you can keep an eye on them closely while they are still under warranty or eligible for an RMA. At the first sign of any of the problems described in that forums, I would begin the RMA process. In the past after an RMA has been completed, you get a new warranty period from the day they ship the replacement. By staying on top of this you can be certain you limit the chances of you ending up with a dead PSU and no usable warranty to get it replaced.

Its also possible that Corsair has shored up the build quality in the RM series since this review was written. Corsair has several employees who participate on the OCN forums to help assist their customers who frequent the discussions there. They also tend to use the discussions to help steer the direction they take with new products. In fact, a few of the new cases they have released in 2014 were designed with input from OCN users who were registered as owners of older Corsair cases.

corsair have amazing support though... Once I got a TX series psu (2-3 y ago) and it was faulty from day 1 (strange sound)... I send it back and I got a brand new in less than a week (the whole procedure). Its a company that never sends back refurbished or re-serviced products.

I have a AX 850 for my new built...is it any good? The ones that are fully modular.

The only things we could ask the OP about his choices are...

1) Why 5930k and NOT 5820k? Because of the pci lanes? Are you going to do any sli? 5820k have 24pci lanes, but imagine the x79 gaming platform is 16 or 12 (I cant remember exactly the ammount of x79)! 24 pci lanes gives you lots of air for a fast sli setup 1x16, 1x8 or 3x8 for tri sli

5820k is about 10% better for video games and 5930k is better for applications, but both of them are a beast.

2) I love the Phanteks pc case over any other on the market.

For the records, 5930k has 40 pci lanes and 5830k has 24 pci lanes, all the rest are the same thing (100mhz difference) and 200 euros differense!!! Or 300 bucks more, so intel is asking 200eu/300dollars more for 16 pci lanes.

Edited by Oyranos

corsair have amazing support though... Once I got a TX series psu (2-3 y ago) and it was faulty from day 1 (strange sound)... I send it back and I got a brand new in less than a week (the whole procedure). Its a company that never sends back refurbished or re-serviced products.

I have a AX 850 for my new built...is it any good? The ones that are fully modular.

The only things we could ask the OP about his choices are...

1) Why 5930k and NOT 5820k? Because of the pci lanes? Are you going to do any sli? 5820k have 24pci lanes, but imagine the x79 gaming platform is 16 or 12 (I cant remember exactly the ammount of x79)! 24 pci lanes gives you lots of air for a fast sli setup 1x16, 1x8 or 3x8 for tri sli

5820k is about 10% better for video games and 5930k is better for applications, but both of them are a beast.

2) I love the Phanteks pc case over any other on the market.

For the records, 5930k has 40 pci lanes and 5830k has 24 pci lanes, all the rest are the same thing (100mhz difference) and 200 euros differense!!! Or 300 bucks more, so intel is asking 200eu/300dollars more for 16 pci lanes.

I made the choice based on scores in benchmarks and over all lasting performance of the 5930k. I was going to get the 5820k but this year bonus was good so I went bigger. While the 5820k does have better frames in some games then even the 5960k, the 5930k is a faster processor for other applications, plus it's fun to say I have the 5930k not the 5820k, lol

Of course the look on their faces when I told them I like to use facebook and I want youtube to be fast. :rolleyes:

Overall I'm really happy with the system, it's a beast, now if only we can work on the lag...:rak_01:

Oh and not that it matters, it's (her) choice...

Here are a couple of screenshots, don't know if they do it justice but... And who knew the tree's on Alderaan swayed in the wind.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj76/Kittie744/Screenshot_2014-12-17_08_45_32_376777.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj76/Kittie744/Screenshot_2014-12-17_20_42_41_963888.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj76/Kittie744/Screenshot_2014-12-17_20_38_03_335952.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj76/Kittie744/Screenshot_2014-12-17_20_45_19_790916.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj76/Kittie744/Screenshot_2014-12-16_21_51_57_410987.jpg

Edited by Amilyne

Here is a trick to make it look more realistic.

Enter your NVIDIA control panel with your 3d filter options. Add swtor as an application to ur control panel and force it to have GPU antialiasing, motion blur, etc, dont over do it, just 2-4aa... It will make the grass look like real and I am not sure if others have it, rishi have sand storms, do you have them also? Or its the gpu control panel that does that... :)

also you can search many topics around this forums, about nvidia control panel tweaks... It looks much better, than turn in ALL HIGH in ur ingame graphics options.

Edited by Oyranos

Here is a trick to make it look more realistic.

Enter your NVIDIA control panel with your 3d filter options. Add swtor as an application to ur control panel and force it to have GPU antialiasing, motion blur, etc, dont over do it, just 2-4aa... It will make the grass look like real and I am not sure if others have it, rishi have sand storms, do you have them also? Or its the gpu control panel that does that... :)

I will have to try that. I did see sand storms or dust ups on Tatooine. I'll have to look for them on Rishi

Sorry, more pics. Just excited about the system. :rolleyes:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj76/Kittie744/pcbenchmarkdec18.png

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj76/Kittie744/20141217_104920.jpg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.