The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Goals for Addressing Server Concerns

EricMusco

Denial in this case equates to a failure to read past the first link, which is a short thread where no one actually talks about the engine and coding with any degree of technicalities.

I already said I'm not going to make your argument for you. If you're going to make an argument then back it up.

Can you come up with a legit reason that BW didn't do cross server ques?

They said it themselves, because it's difficult and time consuming. They have better things to spend their resources on. There are an infinite amount of things they could do but they don't because "they didn't want to". Just because they don't do something doesn't mean they couldn't.

Edited by MillionsKNives

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SWTOR Gamescom 2014 Cantina Tour Fan Flash Drive

Q&A provided by Theho. Here are some key points:

They are aware of the situation with Rated PvP and have discussed solutions. Cross-server PvP is certainly not coming 2014 and would be an enormous undertaking if they did it. Cory Butler said “At this moment, they are narrowing down the solutions for Rated PvP”

Seems to sound like Cross-server is possible, just a lot of resources involved

Hey folks,

At our fan event in Las Vegas, one of the things we stated is that we are working to address the concerns of things like queue times and uneven server populations and that we would provide an update before the end of the year. As you might expect we're not ready to tell you exactly what we are working on yet, but we did want to go into what our goals are for next year.

• To address issues of queue times across all types of content, both PvP and PvE.
  • To rethink how we approach “server separation.”
  • Remain sensitive to things like character identity.
  • The continued ability to define your chosen server playstyle, PvE, PvP, RP, RP-PvP.
  • We also would love to use this opportunity to enhance/create social systems. It’s a big ole’ galaxy and we want it to feel that way.

In the coming months we will be releasing more details. We appreciate your patience as we work towards these goals.

-eric

As long as I can keep my east coast Ashburn, VA server connection, I'm happy. If I need to start pinging to a west coast server, I'll be sad :(

Careful, he'll just tell you you're in denial and that you need to Google for the mystical proof that he insists is somewhere out there on the internet. You just have to go find it.

how many more dog pictures do you need to get out of your grinch mood?

Lot of resources, significant undertaking, long time to develop, etc....are all pointing to problems with the engine. Megaserver is easier on the hero engine, has been proven to work, and would accomplish the same result. Seriously, what is so hard for you to accept about cross server not happening? I mean, did you even see what they considered to be better than cross server? -1 internets to you btw, failure to research.

Lot of resources, significant undertaking, long time to develop, etc....are all pointing to problems with the engine. Megaserver is easier on the hero engine, has been proven to work, and would accomplish the same result. Seriously, what is so hard for you to accept about cross server not happening? I mean, did you even see what they considered to be better than cross server? -1 internets to you btw, failure to research.

Prove this. Go ahead, I'm still waiting.

they already said the game engine can't handle it.
Edited by MillionsKNives

SWTOR Gamescom 2014 Cantina Tour Fan Flash Drive

Seems to sound like Cross-server is possible, just a lot of resources involved

Of course it's possible. The game relies heavily on instancing which means it's already ready for cross server. There is probably some 1.4 cross server proof of concept build internally. I'd imagine the issues they ran into is server infrastructure and keeping the character databases up to date. After all you couldn't copy characters to pts for quite a while.

There is no way that porting a heavily modified pre alpha game engine is going to be easier to achieve unless they hired the original dev team and people from hero engine. It's more likely going to be easier to achieve cross server with the current engine than taking on that massive porting project. But what do I know? I'm just a software engineer doing such stuff for a living.

My car is unable to fly. It's clearly a problem with the internal combustion engine...

Edited by azudelphi

There is no way that porting a heavily modified pre alpha game engine is going to be easier to achieve unless they hired the original dev team and people from hero engine. It's more likely going to be easier to achieve cross server with the current engine than taking on that massive porting project. But what do I know? I'm just a software engineer doing such stuff for a living.

I'm behind a keyboard too. In fact, it could be the keyboard that helped write the hero engine, you never really know....

Honestly, sarcasm aside, being an engineer, can you explain why you think BW is more likely to write cross server on the beta hero engine than to simply merge for one mega server with more phasing? The mega server doesn't require upgrading to hero 2.0 even, BW has already proven the merge tech works on the current platform.

I would advise you to stop getting debating tips from 5 year olds. As cute as you may find them, internet gifs of animals are not a valid form of rebuttal.

dude, was trying to lighten your mood. It's my way of saying, "I know we're having a debate, but in my heart I don't want anyone to walk away angry or upset over a debate on the internets, and I'd rather not talk (type) than be the cause of you having a bad day in real life. "Winning" isn't worth that to me, so heres a funny gif, enjoy!"

dude, was trying to lighten your mood. It's my way of saying, "I know we're having a debate, but in my heart I don't want anyone to walk away angry or upset over a debate on the internets, and I'd rather not talk (type) than be the cause of you having a bad day in real life. "Winning" isn't worth that to me, so heres a funny gif, enjoy!"

Then you'll be happy to hear that I don't emotionally involve myself in online debates on gaming forums. My day has in no way been effected by this thread.

I'm behind a keyboard too. In fact, it could be the keyboard that helped write the hero engine, you never really know....

Honestly, sarcasm aside, being an engineer, can you explain why you think BW is more likely to write cross server on the beta hero engine than to simply merge for one mega server with more phasing? The mega server doesn't require upgrading to hero 2.0 even, BW has already proven the merge tech works on the current platform.

You clearly didn't help write the hero engine since you don't understand its design principles. You neither understand that it will probably be more or less impossible to merge the code bases at this point in time. The code, design and possibly architecture have diverged so far that at this point it's faster and cheaper to just start over from scratch.

Judging by this expansion the swtor crew is severly understaffed. I'm confident Bioware wont add cross server or port the engine to Hero 2.0.

The merge tech you are talking about is simply a merging database issue which is probably something an database administrator could achieve on his own over a coffee break. A database administrator can probably explain that process better than me. And a mega server based on cramming everyone into the same server with existing tech is a bad idea. The biggest servers already lags bad at peak with several seconds ability delays. They can throw more hardware at it but that's money Bioware doesn't have.

What we will see are server mergers though. Specifically low pop European servers and maybe a few American ones merging together. Before 12 xp there were like 20 people on the fleet prime time on the German pvp server. It wouldn't be strange if they merged it into another server.