What do you people spend your credits on?

tdmaha

That was me on my first toon. I was so poor I couldn't afford to take a speeder and had to walk. Now THAT'S poor! But that doesn't happen any more. So

Do you loot ALL your mobs?

Do you sell all the dropped gear you don't want?

Do you sell all your junk?

Do you NOT skip any missions?

Do you combine trips to make travel cheaper?

Did you choose "slicing" as a skill?

Do you pick up every single lockbox and crystal (or whatever you chose) that comes your way?

Do you craft what you can and sell it on the GTN?

Do you spend your monthly 'free' (cough) Cartel Coins on something you can sell?

Do you otherwise stay away from the Cartel Market?

Do you avoid bling and looking cool?

Do you ride a standard speeder, not a fancy one or an animal?

Do you over-level just a bit to get green missions so you spend little on medpacs, stims, adrenals, etc.?

Everyone has to go through an L2P phase. There's nothing wrong with that, but your problem is not insurmountable.

I loot all mobs.

I sell everything.

I sell all junk.

I skip those Heroic 2+ missions. Can't do them solo. And I don't group, because everyone wants me to press 'skip' and I want to see the story. But I do everything else. I'm new, I want to see every mission/story, even if its just 'bring me 5 bear pelts'

What do you mean by 'combine trips'? When I get in a new area, I pick all missions. Then I do them. Then I go back to collect rewards.

I don't bother with those crew skills. I rolled a Jedi or a Bounty Hunter, not some 'farmer'. I have a job in RL, not gonna do that in a game.

Cash store? I bought a Treek. Standard companions suck. Only Treek is of any use. But in general I stay away from 'Store'. OK, I also unlocked one Stronghold for 80cc. I wanted to see how that works. You mean I should buy stuff for cc and resell that for ingame credits? Lol, no. I don't do Pay2Win.

Bling? I use what drops or what I get as mission reward. For reward I usually take modable gear and then use planets comms to keep it up to date (sort of).

Speeder? The cheapest moped I could get, that one for 8500 credits. Faster speeder is a problem, because driving license is very expensive.

I have no money to buy pots. If a pot drops, I sell it. Only junk pots drop anyway.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I loot all mobs.

I sell everything.

I sell all junk.

I skip those Heroic 2+ missions. Can't do them solo. And I don't group, because everyone wants me to press 'skip' and I want to see the story. But I do everything else. I'm new, I want to see every mission/story, even if its just 'bring me 5 bear pelts'

What do you mean by 'combine trips'? When I get in a new area, I pick all missions. Then I do them. Then I go back to collect rewards.

I don't bother with those crew skills. I rolled a Jedi or a Bounty Hunter, not some 'farmer'. I have a job in RL, not gonna do that in a game.

Cash store? I bought a Treek. Standard companions suck. Only Treek is of any use. But in general I stay away from 'Store'. OK, I also unlocked one Stronghold for 80cc. I wanted to see how that works. You mean I should buy stuff for cc and resell that for ingame credits? Lol, no. I don't do Pay2Win.

Bling? I use what drops or what I get as mission reward. For reward I usually take modable gear and then use planets comms to keep it up to date (sort of).

Speeder? The cheapest moped I could get, that one for 8500 credits. Faster speeder is a problem, because driving license is very expensive.

I have no money to buy pots. If a pot drops, I sell it. Only junk pots drop anyway.

What have you spent credits on aside from training skills, repairing gear, and travel via speeder or personal starship?

I spend them on cartel sets (though I'm trying to resist so I can save them up and maybe finally get 2mil). Other than that, I just buy medpacs when I'm leveling. Oh, and the green vendor mods and training skills. Edited by DollQueen

I spend them on cartel sets (though I'm trying to resist so I can save them up and maybe finally get 2mil). Other than that, I just buy medpacs when I'm leveling. Oh, and the green vendor mods and training skills.

Something that might help you reach 2 million credits more quickly is to stop spending credits on gear mods. You can buy better mods with basic comms while saving thousands of credits you would have spent otherwise. If you farm the daily missions at Black Hole or Section X you can earn the comms for gear mods very easily while also earning a lot of credits.

There isn't much that can be done to reduce the expenses for training, repairs, and medpacs, but if you stopped buying green gear mods you could be saving a lot more credits.

Something that might help you reach 2 million credits more quickly is to stop spending credits on gear mods. You can buy better mods with basic comms while saving thousands of credits you would have spent otherwise. If you farm the daily missions at Black Hole or Section X you can earn the comms for gear mods very easily while also earning a lot of credits.

There isn't much that can be done to reduce the expenses for training, repairs, and medpacs, but if you stopped buying green gear mods you could be saving a lot more credits.

I can't remember the last time I bought a medpac on a character I was leveling or sent it one from my crafter. I use only what drops, and most often I vendor those because I outlevel them and they get replaced by newer drops.

I also don't repair gear on the way up. It gets replaced too quickly to bother with that.

Training, yeah, speeder piloting I remember hurting way back when. Before I got rich, I trained only the first level of it while leveling.

Edited by DarthTHC

Slicing is free credits. Seriously, so many times you will see slicing nodes sitting right there near the mobs you just killed. So.. at a very minimum.... get slicing. It's free credits.

As to the larger question of how to gather credits...make an income plan (whatever floats your personal boat) and do it. You will enjoy any MMO more if you do as it gives you economic freedom (a lesson I carried over from real life).

Protip: you are looking for methods that give you leverage (of time and effort).

Some people are enterprising at crafting. Others like the old school dailies approach. Personally, I play the GTN. It's what I do in every MMO. It fits my temperament and it's a great way to earn income passively while you are at work or dealing with other RL needs. The market is big enough and diverse enough that there is a segment of the market for everyone to play. Takes me about 15 minutes a day to check/refresh/shop my GTN activities. I earn on average ~1M profit per day doing so too. I could make even more if I wanted, but frankly I can't spend all that I earn now.. so no need to obtain more.

Edited by Andryah

My crew and I fill up the cargo hold of our ship with Tarisian and Andorean ale every other day so we have enough for our never ending quest for the ultimate hangover. That's just one thing. The other night Lt. Pierce blew Quinn out of the airlock, getting Quinn all patched up was pretty costly. It was funny as Hell though. One day last week Jaesa. Vette and I went streaking on the Fleet, causing a six speeder pile up because people were rubber necking. That was expensive to pay for. I think our most costly adventure was when Lt. Pierce and I sedated about 90 Colicoids on Balmorra, flew them to Alderaan and turned them loose in Rhu Ceanus Spaceport while Vette projected a holoimage of a Hueche prowling the terminals.

On the one hand, I can completely understand the sentiment. After all, why do something you don't find fun?

On the other hand, I realized almost 3 years ago that there were expensive things in the game, and the best way to afford them was to HAVE MONEY.

If you actually gave crafting in SW:TOR a try, you'd discover that it has a pretty interesting advantage over crafting in other games. You don't have to spend time doing it. Make your companions do the work.

The last toon I leveled, I sent my companions out on Underworld Trading missions, all while playing the fun parts of the game. A few clicks every 15-30 minutes. At the end of the day, go to the GTN, ctrl-click on mats, sort by cheapest price, list mine just below that, log off.

That's 2-3 hours of game time doing fun stuff and less than 2 minutes of the "boring stuff"

Broke players are either uneducated in how to make credits, have a sweet tooth in spending too much, or both.

Edited by Khevar

I loot all mobs.

I sell everything.

I sell all junk.

I don't bother with those crew skills. I rolled a Jedi or a Bounty Hunter, not some 'farmer'. I have a job in RL, not gonna do that in a game. etc....

Yet you claim training is sucking up all your money? Once I started to do all those things I suggested you do that you say you are doing already, I never had money problems again, ever. I think it is a mistake not to craft, especially slicing, because that is a lucrative source of income, but if you don't, so be it. You don't have to to make enough credits in the game. If you don't want to convert your free CCs into credits, meh? I wasn't asking about your attitude. You are the one claiming to have no money. We were trying to figure out why. I can't see anything huge that you are doing wrong, so why you have no money remains a mystery. Your story makes no sense.

But given how you have reacted to suggestions, I don't really care.

My crew and I fill up the cargo hold of our ship with Tarisian and Andorean ale every other day so we have enough for our never ending quest for the ultimate hangover. That's just one thing. The other night Lt. Pierce blew Quinn out of the airlock, getting Quinn all patched up was pretty costly. It was funny as Hell though. One day last week Jaesa. Vette and I went streaking on the Fleet, causing a six speeder pile up because people were rubber necking. That was expensive to pay for. I think our most costly adventure was when Lt. Pierce and I sedated about 90 Colicoids on Balmorra, flew them to Alderaan and turned them loose in Rhu Ceanus Spaceport while Vette projected a holoimage of a Hueche prowling the terminals.

That was you? Gault damn near had whiplash, but I got a nice swing at Skadge. He fell over the rails, so I guess that's fine. Mako has holorecordings of the crashes, if you want them.

Back on topic: What do I spend my credits on? Well, since most of my characters wear Mandalorian Clansmen set, or some other sets that I have collected, not much cosmetic gear anymore. Thinking of getting an early generation of Cybernetic set for Qyzen before the whole series went to BS-levels of awful, but other than that, occasional repairs, mod rips, crew missions. Still haven't bother buying any med packs, even as my main is now sitting at 58, she still uses the ones the GSI vendors sell on GSI mission worlds. But doesnt even use 'em much, and just uses Rapid Scan for the most part.

So the full list for after 55?

-Skills

-Armormech Schematics

-Mod ripping

-Travel

-Repairs if I don't already have better mods to install.

I'd imagine most of the money I actually spend is to make more money via crew skills. But if we're talking about stuff that's going to leave my overall balance negative, CC items. I don't know if hypercrates are more addictive than Doritos or Oreos, but it's close race if they're not. I also tend to want a unique look for all my characters and I'm 15/16 in that regard. That revan reborn set is calling my Jugg's name pretty hard...

That was you? Gault damn near had whiplash, but I got a nice swing at Skadge. He fell over the rails, so I guess that's fine. Mako has holorecordings of the crashes, if you want them.

Yep! That was me I thought sure I'd get banned from visiting Alderaan after that Colicoid incident. But how can you resist causing that much chaos?? I certainly can't.

Oh yeah. I'd love to see the holorecording Mako has of the streaking on Fleet thing. That has hilarious. Not necessarily the damage it caused; as awesome as it was, just that "Nerf in the headlights" look on people's faces. So worth it.

I have a cartel addiction, I rarely save more than a few credits before finding something nice to spend them on :p

basically. if its not shiny decorations for my stronghold, then its pretty mounts or MOAR outfits. and whenever new pack rep comes out, i spend credits on that. actualy, packs are probably as much as I spend on them - are the only ones where I at least recoup some of the costs.

of course there's also a matter of augmenting my gear because ops, but that at least doesn't happen as often as shines shopping sprees. see, I have to control myself in real life when it comes to spending, so virtual money is where i kinda let loose :p

I asked a Nar Shaddaa slicer for a copy of the holo, but he sent me a Rick Astley video instead. :(

Mako's selling them for a couple thousand credits a DL. I think she got spoiled and forgot that the main customer base isn't actually swimming in the same credit stacks as those who hire me.

Password for the video is "swordfish".

Oh, and vids like that are apparently what people are buying with their credits.

And have we manage to derail the thread enough by answering the topic title as is? =P

Most people have real jobs and should not be forced to play the game like a job just to get the basic skills, and minimal reoutfitting of a few toons. Skills and gear transfer are too expensive and should not be where the money sink is in the game, but I'm sure that the devs know this and it is done intentionally as a way to force cc market purchases. Money sinks should be for luxury, rare high end items, end of story.

Most people have real jobs and should not be forced to play the game like a job just to get the basic skills, and minimal reoutfitting of a few toons. Skills and gear transfer are too expensive and should not be where the money sink is in the game, but I'm sure that the devs know this and it is done intentionally as a way to force cc market purchases. Money sinks should be for luxury, rare high end items, end of story.

I wasn't aware it's some kind of basic human right to play any computer game in existence in a way that suits anyone's chosen lifestyle. I'm sure there are other games that are more suitable for people who can't make the time investment for a grindy MMO.

I asked a Nar Shaddaa slicer for a copy of the holo, but he sent me a Rick Astley video instead. :(

Those a-holes. They think they're so damn funny. We'll do it again sometime. Lately though, I've sensed Quinn is going to betray me at some point, so I'm thinking of taking him around Hoth in nothing but his underwear. That backstabbing little weasel deserves it.