Bioware says NO LFD TOOL.

Montague

Once people start leaving in droves in a few months due to the missing features Bioware will actually realize what they need to do to stay competitive in todays MMO market.

people leave even if the game HAS the features. else everybody would play wow. so what was the argument again?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In LFD, it would have been instant teleport to the quest zone, accomplish it, and then goodbye teleport away.

Yes. Which is exactly how I want it.

Same. Pretty good chance I would not talk to 95% of the people I group with in RL anyhow.

The social argument still baffle me.

Everybody should take into account that, even with a LFG tool, heroic quest on worlds would not be affected. To accomplish those you would still have to search peers manually.

Isn't that the best of both world?

Be social as much as you want in heroic zones and make friends there. Then group with them for flashpoint with a nice LFG tool to fill in those 1 -2 people missing.

Honestly, it's that simple...

people leave even if the game HAS the features. else everybody would play wow. so what was the argument again?

I'd like to add that people are leaving wow in the millions BECAUSE of features like the LFD tool.it removes player interaction and PUNISHES you (with a debuff so you can't re-queue if you quit the group!) for not playing with and putting up with random ******* who can't even press 3 buttons in the correct sequence :p

Copying wow is the last thing Bioware should do right now.

Edited by NasherUK

Notice the difference? All the pros are specific for the efficiency player, and the cons for the more social player. This fight will continue forever on in eternity. But if you're playing a game purely to be efficient, you'd spend your time better playing a JRPG, or speed running through games.

one issue people always overlook: a random option for dungeons pretty much means faceroll content. since rewards are either bound to a) difficulty/challenge or b) time, with easy dungeons you have to spend more time to grind for you item (unless you want to farm for drops), because there is no challenge anymore.

so even the people who want their stuff efficiently have to farm more/longer -> burnout/boredom is more likely and the whining for new content gets louder faster, which again puts pressure on the dev they have to deliver else people might quit.

I'd like to add that people are leaving wow in the millions BECAUSE of features like the LFD tool.

I know ;) hey, I play rift which basically went from wow bc to wow lk in only 3 months. people leave anyway, and it's not because of the features, the quality, the people, but simply because it's not wow.

Edited by Graburr

Leveling is fun and enough to keep people busy for a little while but not enough to keep them paying 15$ a month. After 7 years people WANT a change from WoW which is why you see all these new MMOs start out very strong in subscriptions...because people want to see something new. But at the same time they want all of the features that WoW popularized and are now expected in an MMO. Swtor has had a better start than any of them but Bioware still has a lot of work to do in the next few months. They have the potential to become the WoW killer they wanted but it can just as easily end up with most players going to Pandaville and Swotr becoming another MMO that goes F2P after struggling to hold on to more than 500k.

Then you miss a lot of adventures, I say.

For example, I was on Balmorra yesterday, and was questing in the very beginning of Droid Factory.

1) A Inquistor was bashing mobs right next to me, so I invited him to make a group so it would be quicker.

2) Then we finished, but wanted to explore a bit more. A bonus mission popped, and was involving killing Elites and Champions.

3) So we started announcing on the gen chat we were looking for buddies to complete the mission. We found 2 nearby volunteers.

From this very point, I swear we lived the most rock n roll adventure I ever had since I started swtor. For 2 hours and a half.

There were Elites / Champions everywhere, and we had to be very careful on what we did not to die on every step.

We chatted, had some laughter, some chills because of highly challenging mobs. We had some shared fun. This ended in one of them inviting us to apply for his guild, which happened to be one of the best of the server.

We even stayed grouped until we reached the initial quest givers.

All of that because we chatted, gathered at different points, and actually wanted to explore.

And that ... I swear to god that it would never happen with a LFD made group.

In LFD, it would have been instant teleport to the quest zone, accomplish it, and then goodbye teleport away.

U dont know what LFG is for right?

We want it for flashpoints not to random group up with others to do quests...

Travelling WHERE?

You go to all of them from the SAME PLACE.

This post has a point. Part of the issue with WoW's LFG tool was that you were instantly teleported there which is why I personally hated it. On the other hand all of the instances are from the Fleet Dropship Hanger anyway?

I'm glad, to be honest.

I like seeing "LFG Black Talon", "LFG Heroics" ...

... kind of reminds me this game has other players.

World of Warcraft lost that some years ago.

I've never used a LFG tool, If I see a LFG for something I wish to do, I usually pipe up & conversation commences ... made many friends in PUGs :-)

/1 Tank LFG for XXXX. Anybody?

DPS1: invite pl0x

/1 LF2M for XXXX, need 1 DPS and a healer

DPS2: /w have healz?

Me: no, not yet

DPS2: <silence>

DPS1: r u rdy?

Me: still looking, know any healers?

DPS1: LOL

DPS3: I'll do XXXX

Me: <invite DPS3> /p Hi there, now just need heals. Know anybody?

DPS3: Hey. Questing, lemme know when ready

/1 LF1M for XXXX. Need healer and good to go

/1 LF1M for XXXX. Need healer and good to go

<30min>

DPS1: u suck, gtg

<DPS1 leaves the group>

/1 LF2M for XXXX. Need heals and DPS

<30 min>

DPS3: Hold on, a guildie's logging on. Invite PlayerX

Me: welcome, healer or DPS?

DPS3: Sorry, I have to go.

<DPS3 leaves the group, PlayerX leaves the group>

DPS4: invite

<30 min>

DPS4: damn u look hot r u a guuurl irl?

</remove DPS4, /ignore DPS4>

DPS5: I'll do XXXX, DPS

<30 min>

HEALER: /w need healer? Invite

Me: Welcome! Need one DPS, have any friends?

/1 LF1M for XXXX, need 1 DPS and gtg

HEALER: give me lead, I have somebody

<DPS6 joins the group>

DPS6: my bro says he'll tank

<you have been removed from the group>

/1 Tank LFG for XXXX

/1 Tank LFG for XXXX

/1 Tank LFG for XXXX

No need to say that I can barely contain my excitement. Thanks, Bioware!

LFD isn't really needed. It was needed in WoW because it got to a point where you were basically unable to do low level dungeons because those levels weren't very active. SWTOR isn't anywhere near that point right now.

As others have pointed out, all of SWTOR instances are also in the same place. Going from say BRD to SW back to BRD in WoW to refill a group sucked, but its pretty easy to do here.

Edited by Blizark

LFD isn't really needed. It was needed in WoW because it got to a point where you were basically unable to do low level dungeons because those levels weren't very active. SWTOR isn't anywhere near that point right now.

As others have pointed out, all of SWTOR instances are also in the same place. Going from say BRD to SW back to BRD in WoW to refill a group sucked, but its pretty easy to do here.

i missed abourt 50% of the flashpoints because i could not get a group, so how can u say its not a problem?

i missed abourt 50% of the flashpoints because i could not get a group, so how can u say its not a problem?

Ive only done 2 instances while leveling (lvl 40). And thats as a healer too. Too much work to go back to fleet, spam chat for a group, go to the instance....when you can just keep questing instead and get way more xp and similar rewards. Instances below 50 will be just as dead as in WoW before LFD....no point in doing them more than once unless your running a guildy through.

You see, both of you only talked about the performance part of LFD made groups. That is not the debate :)

The point anti-LFD are defending is the total emptiness of social interactions within those groups.

I used wow LFD heavily, and was making groups even before LFD was in. So I really saw how it changed everything.

It's simple : nowadays, 2 of 3 WoW LFD groups just don't say a word during the dungeon, except "Hello".

I played wow from launch, always a healer or tank. You know what most of my 'socialization' was? Teaching people how to run the instance. You know why I don't have to do that very often any more? People can get into instances so easily and often they actually know how to run the instance. Now if no one wants to talk no one has to. Most of the time if someone actually says something like hey whats up did you see the game last night? People will respond.

Dungeon finder is great, even for me as a tank. I definitely had the friends list w/ people who were good to group with, but now I don't have to worry about feeling bad about turning down an instance as a tank when I don't want to run an instance because I know they'll have to spend hours spamming trade chat. I also get instant queues into the dungeon instead of having to spam trade myself or having to go to a main city.

I think dungeon finder was one of the best things to happen to wow and if you really think that people are somehow less social than they were pre-dungeon finder you're letting nostalgia blind you.

*edit* also, if you're ok w/ a server only LFG then just make the finder have a check box for realm only queue then you have the option to go xserver or not depending on your preferences.

Edited by Nulzero

People having to give some effort while there is a more effortless version at concurrents is always an issue for them.

On another hand, it's like saying oil companies will have to lower their price because people are complaining about it.

If you listen to majority of humans, everything should be free, perfect, and limitless. How's that a reference ?

Has nothing to do with effort you guys are missing the point.

When someone puts in the effort but still get no where theres a problem.

I can spam for hours and not get a group for 10-20 content. How much effort should I exert to play what I pay for? I mean seriously think about it.

It has nothing to do with being lazy or being anti social.

Launch week I expect to aleast be able to form a group in a timely manner not miss out on new content because of game flaws and heavy instancing.

Im not asking for instant gratification but where do you draw the line do you think its acceptable that some people have to wait for hours for group or not even get grouped?

People are putting forth effort to make groups and stuff but just not getting anywhere.

At least for the foreseeable future anyway, which is just fine by me. Read and weep:

Stephen Reid:

We're aware of this desire, but we actually believe that finding others on the same planet as you encourages social interaction a bit more than a general 'group finder'. We're not saying it'll never, ever happen but again, not high priority right now.

Kudos to Bioware for not giving in. I won't be so crass as to tell players who want this to go back to WoW, but I will point out that you now have a clear choice.

That statement was posted before launch, defending their decision. Now that there are a million actual people playing the game, they're going to hear from the players, and it will happen. Trust me.

I played wow from launch, always a healer or tank. You know what most of my 'socialization' was? Teaching people how to run the instance. You know why I don't have to do that very often any more? People can get into instances so easily and often they actually know how to run the instance. Now if no one wants to talk no one has to. Most of the time if someone actually says something like hey whats up did you see the game last night? People will respond.

Dungeon finder is great, even for me as a tank. I definitely had the friends list w/ people who were good to group with, but now I don't have to worry about feeling bad about turning down an instance as a tank when I don't want to run an instance because I know they'll have to spend hours spamming trade chat. I also get instant queues into the dungeon instead of having to spam trade myself or having to go to a main city.

I think dungeon finder was one of the best things to happen to wow and if you really think that people are somehow less social than they were pre-dungeon finder you're letting nostalgia blind you.

So true....I played a healer my entire time in WoW so I never had trouble finding groups when I actually wanted to run an instance. But then every time you formed a group with randoms half of them never walked in the place because it was so hard for DPS to get groups. So you sit there for every boss fight explaining **** and most of the time having to carry anyway cause they havent seen the boss abilities before. Not to mention nobody ever ran an instance below max level because it was pointless even trying to find a group for one. How many times has anyone stepped into places like Blackfathom Deeps or Razorfen Downs before LFD? Like once ever maybe...Yea those were definetly the good old days! Socialization FTW!