Before you bring the Gree event back, make quests in PvP area PvP related!

collinc

We don't get too many open world PvP opportunities. I love that the Gree event has open world PvP. What I don't like is that there are two PvE quests in the PvP area. All that happens now is people try to run the quests to get the rep, and people sit around ganking them and then start arguments.

P1: "Leave me alone I'm just questing."

P2: "Don't come to a PvP area and complain about PvP."

P1:"I'm not complaining about PvP, I'm complaining that I'm trying to kill a mob and you come up and attack me right before I kill it. That's not PvP."

P2:"lol noob"

Get rid of the quests that make you bring orbs to the hypergate and make us charge up the hypergate with the blood of our enemies.

I admit I am a low-Rep'd among those who play the Gree event, but I have managed my dailies in the event without stepping foot in the PvP circle. There are paths to the Southern section that go around the PvP zone, but I usually got my dailies done in the northern section just fine.

We don't get too many open world PvP opportunities. I love that the Gree event has open world PvP. What I don't like is that there are two PvE quests in the PvP area. All that happens now is people try to run the quests to get the rep, and people sit around ganking them and then start arguments.

P1: "Leave me alone I'm just questing."

P2: "Don't come to a PvP area and complain about PvP."

P1:"I'm not complaining about PvP, I'm complaining that I'm trying to kill a mob and you come up and attack me right before I kill it. That's not PvP."

P2:"lol noob"

Get rid of the quests that make you bring orbs to the hypergate and make us charge up the hypergate with the blood of our enemies.

Now that's an excellent idea, the more pub.imp we kill the faster the charging. i like it!! but unfortunately our current dev team...well let's just say that will never happen.

I admit I am a low-Rep'd among those who play the Gree event, but I have managed my dailies in the event without stepping foot in the PvP circle. There are paths to the Southern section that go around the PvP zone, but I usually got my dailies done in the northern section just fine.

You don't understand, after doing all the regular dailies, these people want to do the PvP ones too, only without the PvP :rolleyes:

I do the Gree event but since I don't like pvp I will skip that one. Yea so it takes me longer to get the reputation points, that's okay. Why do a quest that goes inside an area that I don't like to do? Doesn't make sense to me for people to take those quests that are clearly marked in an area they don't like. Edited by ScarletBlaze

I do the Gree event but since I don't like pvp I will skip that one. Yea so it takes me longer to get the reputation points, that's okay. Why do a quest that goes inside an area that I don't like to do? Doesn't make sense to me for people to take those quests that are clearly marked in an area they don't like.

Great post.

Don't want PvP? Skip the quests with "PVP" in the title. Don't know why this is such a difficult concept for so many.

You don't understand, after doing all the regular dailies, these people want to do the PvP ones too, only without the PvP :rolleyes:

As I said, I would be happy to do PvP quests inside the PvP area. One of the quests involves killing an elite. That's not a PvP quest, and coming up to people in the middle of a fight with a monster that will continue to attack them but not you is not PvP, it's ganking and pointless. You might get a good laugh out of it, but it's not PvP.

Great post.

Don't want PvP? Skip the quests with "PVP" in the title. Don't know why this is such a difficult concept for so many.

Because the quests with PvP in the title contain zero PvP! Don't know why making them PvP related would be such a difficult concept. Sounds like you just like killing people that are in the middle of a fight already.

That premise sounds a bit silly.

And I would think that if ganking a mob away from people is called PvP, that's silly to me too.

But my non-PvP dailies can all be done in the PvE zones. Maybe I don't see the full list?

Because the quests with PvP in the title contain zero PvP! Don't know why making them PvP related would be such a difficult concept. Sounds like you just like killing people that are in the middle of a fight already.

They are PvP reated because they happen in an PvP zone (even on PvE servers), and so going there means you have a chance to encounter PvP while doing those quests. For me it is like the objective based PvP in warzones, when nobody is at an node, you capture it and then hope that somebody will show up or you move to the next objective, so even players who are not interested in PKs still have something they get out of PvP. And those quests are in the same spirit, look at it as an open world objective based warzone, and then play it as such. If all you want is some PK, then probably you are better of in arena. Don't get me wrong, SWTOR could really use some more variety in regarding of PvP, but I don't want to see a pepetition of replacing something (like it happened with the introduction of arena at the cost of 8v8 objective based warzones, which killed all my dreams of a huttball league).

I'd normally be in the "don't want to PvP, don't take PvP quests camp", but here I have to say, the OP has a point.

Chasing mobs while facing some risk of being ganked isn't PvP.

It doesn't even turn into a PvP fight in practice. 80% of opposing faction players just drive by you; if you're in a group, 99% of the time. If there's a fight, it's usually over in 6 seconds. Unless the player being ganked is a sorc/sage, then it's 20 seconds. A real fight breaks out maybe once a day, not every day.

Edited by Heal-To-Full

They are PvP reated because they happen in an PvP zone (even on PvE servers), and so going there means you have a chance to encounter PvP while doing those quests. For me it is like the objective based PvP in warzones, when nobody is at an node, you capture it and then hope that somebody will show up or you move to the next objective, so even players who are not interested in PKs still have something they get out of PvP.

Exactly this. There is a part of one of the Gree PvP missions that asks players to scan some destroyed vechicles. How is that different than walking over to an unguarded node and capping it?

They both involve clicking on an environmental object in a mandatory PvP zone. They are both PvP missions.

How is that different than walking over to an unguarded node and capping it?

They both involve clicking on an environmental object in a mandatory PvP zone.

Hugely different: in one of these, there's a whole team of players tasked with preventing you from clicking that object.

The other is just like every regular area on every PvP server.

Hugely different: in one of these, there's a whole team of players tasked with preventing you from clicking that object.

The other is just like every regular area on every PvP server.

But that is how open world PvP is, without others around, no PvP. If you want to have definitly some opposition, then play warzones!

I have to agree with the OP. If there were quests that said "go to this PVP area and kill X number of enemy players" or if the pylon quest was to both deliver orbs and prevent enemies from delivering them, *that* would be a PVP quest. In that case, I would happily go into the PVP area and participate in PVP. But what we have right now aren't PVP quests because they don't require PVP or interacting with enemy players; they are just PVE quests shoehorned into a PVP area. I am ultimately there to complete the quests, and if the quests don't require PVP, I will attempt to avoid PVP so I can complete the quests more quickly. If it was changed so the quests required PVP, I would still go to the area to complete the quests, and would actually engage in PVP.

I do the Gree event but since I don't like pvp I will skip that one. Yea so it takes me longer to get the reputation points, that's okay. Why do a quest that goes inside an area that I don't like to do? Doesn't make sense to me for people to take those quests that are clearly marked in an area they don't like.

I do like PvP and I won't do it because it's terrible and unbalanced PvP.

People need to realize that not everything is tailor made for them, take some personal responsibility, and not do the things they don't like.

very sensible I avoid pvp wherever possible as well . I haven't seen this gree event yet but will make sure to follow your advice . Hopefully Bio will give more rep points this time for the pve portions

The PvP part is fully optional, however it does slow down the rep grind. But it is optional.

If the "get node" mission is just that in a PvP zone that seems.. Kinda silly, IMO. PvP missions should be "Kill X number of Republic/Imperial players" to encourage some cross faction PvP, and maybe a general "Kill X number of players" as well.

I have to agree with the OP. If there were quests that said "go to this PVP area and kill X number of enemy players" or if the pylon quest was to both deliver orbs and prevent enemies from delivering them, *that* would be a PVP quest. In that case, I would happily go into the PVP area and participate in PVP. But what we have right now aren't PVP quests because they don't require PVP or interacting with enemy players; they are just PVE quests shoehorned into a PVP area. I am ultimately there to complete the quests, and if the quests don't require PVP, I will attempt to avoid PVP so I can complete the quests more quickly. If it was changed so the quests required PVP, I would still go to the area to complete the quests, and would actually engage in PVP.

+1. PvP missions should have PvP objectives, while PvE missions should stay in PvE areas.

Edited by MagikFingerz

That's how everything is on PvP servers.

But quests don't get called "[PvP] Fall asleep on Hoth" just because they're in a PvP area.

Sure, but the PvP label there is more to remind the people on PvE servers that they might get involved in PvP when they doing those quests. And not so much for us on PvP servers. So, don't think that everything is just about you. Maybe BioWare could just remove the PvP tag for the PvP servers, since it is really a little redundant for us... even though with the free for all PvP there, on has a higher chance of getting open world PvP, since too often even on PvP servers people don't bother to do some open world PvP, and with the tag it seems that at least a few people will be around during the event and create some battles there.