Is it time to remove cost on swapping out mods for subscribers?

Vhaegrant

Lets put it this way.

I don't care how cool of a gear set BW puts out. I will not spend a dime on it because of the cost of mod swapping, Augment additions.

II'll created a set on the limited number of legacy sets there are, building a set of gear once. I'll move it to other toons as needed.

Exactly ^^this.

It's a pity, really. So many nice shiny armors out there. I would love to swap my armor all the time, depending on the planet. Quesh? Something with a mask. Hoth? That winter parka set. Alderaan? Something noble looking. Etc. pp.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if people realize there are 54 whole levels where you have more to do than farm dailies in this game, and it will soon be 59 whole levels. Because from what I can tell, no one does.

And in those levels, you don't have to worry about swapping out mods. Honestly, you don't have to worry about it at end game either since you can simply put new mods on top of old. Sure, you lose the originally equipped mods but unless you want to save them for alts or companions you don't need them anyway.

And that's really the crux of the issue. The cost to gear alts and companions is either time spent getting the gear or credits spent using gear you've already gotten. It is a sink, pure and simple, and that sink can be either time or credits.

Removing the restrictions on mod swapping makes no sense. With credits so easily obtained (in more ways than just daily farming) taking away any sink is bad news.

The system works for anyone who actually puts forth the effort. The only people I see who don't like the system are the ones for whom the effort is the problem.

Edited by Grayseven

Removing the restrictions on mod swapping makes no sense. With credits so easily obtained (in more ways than just daily farming) taking away any sink is bad news.

The system works for anyone who actually puts forth the effort. The only people I see who don't like the system are the ones for whom the effort is the problem.

The system doesn't work. Not for me. I'd love to wear some new Cartel gear, but the current cost is so ridiculous that I simply refuse to do it.

This game is supported (in part) by a cash shop that has vowed to limit itself to "fluff" (cosmetic) items, yet the current system restricts those cosmetics behind ridiculous credit costs.

The system doesn't work. Not for me. I'd love to wear some new Cartel gear, but the current cost is so ridiculous that I simply refuse to do it.

This game is supported (in part) by a cash shop that has vowed to limit itself to "fluff" (cosmetic) items, yet the current system restricts those cosmetics behind ridiculous credit costs.

Don't see how is restricts anything. Pay your credits and swap your mods.

What is it, 33k per piece? 43k if you pull the augment instead of just crafting a new one?

7 cosmetic locations, 8 if you add in the weapon.

Round it off and call it 350k credits to change your outfit. If you run CZ, BH and Ilum you can return around 200k credits in about 40 minutes just from dailies and loot. Run two toons through them in one day or one toon over two days and you've covered the cost.

Ridiculous credit costs would be ten times that amount. Credits you can earn in 80 minutes are a trifling amount.

When desirable dye packs are selling for hundreds of thousands of credits on the GTN, the idea that the cost of swapping mods is an insurmountable barrier to achieving the look people want for their toons is sort of silly, don't you think?

I'm not spending hundreds of thousands on dyes, or even close to that. So the idea isn't that silly I don't think. Not looking for freebies but a bit of a break. Especially the next few weeks after the expansion comes out.

Don't see how is restricts anything. Pay your credits and swap your mods.

What is it, 33k per piece? 43k if you pull the augment instead of just crafting a new one?

7 cosmetic locations, 8 if you add in the weapon.

Round it off and call it 350k credits to change your outfit. If you run CZ, BH and Ilum you can return around 200k credits in about 40 minutes just from dailies and loot. Run two toons through them in one day or one toon over two days and you've covered the cost.

Ridiculous credit costs would be ten times that amount. Credits you can earn in 80 minutes are a trifling amount.

You obviously don't augment your gear much. Yes you can pull the augment or craft a new one, but where are you going to put it?

You have omitted the cost of fitting augment slots to all your new gear. And also the cost (either in terms of time or credits) of making all the augment kits you're going to need too.

Suddenly the cost is a LOT higher than the 350k you claim.

Funny how every time someone trots out this defence they seem to forget the cost of augmenting.

Edited by Cernow

I'm not spending hundreds of thousands on dyes, or even close to that.

But plenty of people do, and that's what matters to BioWare.

I myself have 2-3 million credits worth of dyes sitting in the cargo bay of my main, in bound shells that I no longer wear.

Edited by BuriDogshin

You obviously don't augment your gear much. Yes you can pull the augment or craft a new one, but where are you going to put it?

You have omitted the cost of fitting augment slots to all your new gear. And also the cost (either in terms of time or credits) of making all the augment kits you're going to need too.

Funny how every time someone trots out this defence they seem to forget the cost of augmenting.

This isn't about augments, this is about swapping out mods. People are saying we shouldn't have to pay because the cost is "ridiculous" to swap out mods. You are talking about something else entirely.

If you are gong to change outfits, you already know that you will have to add augment slots. If you think augment slots are expensive, that is a completely different argument and I personally agree that paying 36k for an augment slot is a little high.

Stick to the discussion at hand.

Exactly and the cost of MK-10 are going to higher than 35K

EVen if you went by the current cost of now. Lets say 42 K to remove mods but another 40K for the augment and anouther 36K to install it.

Suddenly the cost of one new item from the cartel market is 118K per item and as many as 9 items.

1,062,000 million just to look different till the next cartel market update and something else comes around you like. No way I try to pull off a different look at that cost every time something interesting comes to the cash shop.

It's a bit counter productive if you are trying to sell people fluff gear for additional cash.

Edited by Quraswren

That still doesn't make it a silly issue to me and a lot of other people.

Well, you can't please all the people all the time. There are always people looking for another "EASY" button: trophies for everyone who shows up! But easy is boring and in the long run bad for the game.

If a cosmetic issue like a change in look is so important to you, because you want to look cooler than all the other toons, go invest a little in-game effort in achieving it.

Yes, for the love of all that is good, please implement this!

We have two new credit sinks now - strongholds and conquests - and those are BIG ones. There is no need for more credit sinks, especially when other games don't penalize players for changing outfits in this way. And no, it hasn't broken their economy. These extra costs are just plain unnecessary.

Let's see...currently to change an outfit you have the following costs:

The outfit itself. This can be cheap or expensive, depending on what you buy.

The cost of dye. One time use makes these extremely inefficient.

Ripping the mods out of your current outfit.

Re-augmenting EVERYTHING. This is already ridiculously expensive and it about to get even more so. This also includes three separate costs bundled into it. The kit, the augment, and the "fee" for slotting it. (Seriously?)

So, at end game, when I get a new outfit, I have to pay no less than five separate costs just to have the privilege of actually wearing it. It's not enough that I have to pay for the outfit. Not enough that I have to augment it. (Three more costs remember, now we are up to four.) Now, I also have to pay simply to give it stats and make useful. Five.

There is actually one MORE cost, that frequently gets added in, depending on circumstance. Sometimes your new outfit already comes with mods in it. You have to rip those out, and then, if you want to pass down your old mods to a companion, you have to rip those out too, creating double the amount of mod ripping. This happens to me all the time, because I pass down everything. I worked for those mods, no way I'm throwing them away when my companion can use them (which therefore helps me.)

This is overkill.

It doesn't matter how "easy" getting credits is for you. That is entirely subjective and based on 1. Your playstyle, 2. Your amount of free time, and possibly 3. The amount of real life money you are willing or able to spend.

Edited by CloudCastle

Exactly and the cost of MK-10 are going to higher than 35K

EVen if you went by the current cost of now. Lets say 42 K to remove mods but another 40K for the augment and anouther 36K to install it.

Suddenly the cost of one new item from the cartel market is 118K per item and as many as 9 items.

1,062,000 million just to look different till the next cartel market update and something else comes around you like. No way I try to pull off a different look at that cost every time something interesting comes to the cash shop.

It's a bit counter productive if you are trying to sell people fluff gear for additional cash.

Again, this thread isn't about augment costs, it's about the cost of pulling mods.

This isn't about augments, this is about swapping out mods. People are saying we shouldn't have to pay because the cost is "ridiculous" to swap out mods. You are talking about something else entirely.

If you are gong to change outfits, you already know that you will have to add augment slots. If you think augment slots are expensive, that is a completely different argument and I personally agree that paying 36k for an augment slot is a little high.

Stick to the discussion at hand.

But It's all part of the same discussion. You can't talk about the cost of pulling mods independent of augmenting costs. The OP mentions this too, it's part of what we're discussing.

There's two main reasons to pull mods and one of them involves augments:

1) To send the mods to alts or give to companions. No need to worry about augmenting here if you're keeping your existing shells for appearance.

2) To change your appearance. This usually requires new augments unless you're re-instating a previously augmented outfit.

And yet you wrote:

and also:

I find these earlier two statements you made difficult to reconcile with your latest one. Flagships costs a minimum of 50 million credits, maxed out ones a lot more, and you are OK with that and maintain it is good that they are so expensive. But a mere 210,000 credits to install MK-9 augment slots into 7 pieces you consider "far too expensive," even though people routinely pay 20 times that much "for a single person mount."

The mind boggles.

WOW your mind sure is easily boggled!

Changing cosmetic armor shouldn't be something you need to save up, scrap & strive to be able to afford to do. Duh. :rolleyes:

Edited by Kourage

Not sure what game it was but you could fuse 2 like items and choose the stats of one item and the appearance of the other and put them together for a cost. From what I remember it worked well and this game would benefit greatly from a system like it.. appearance in this game is important to an extent...

As I said before I'm happy with how I appear.. I'm far less likely to try out or buy other gear due to the cost/time involved... not saying I can't or won't but its not likely.

Yes, for the love of all that is good, please implement this!

We have two new credit sinks now - strongholds and conquests - and those are BIG ones. There is no need for more credit sinks, especially when other games don't penalize players for changing outfits in this way. And no, it hasn't broken their economy. These extra costs are just plain unnecessary.

Let's see...currently to change an outfit you have the following costs:

The outfit itself. This can be cheap or expensive, depending on what you buy.

The cost of dye. One time use makes these extremely inefficient.

Ripping the mods out of your current outfit.

Re-augmenting EVERYTHING. This is already ridiculously expensive and it about to get even more so. This also includes three separate costs bundled into it. The kit, the augment, and the "fee" for slotting it. (Seriously?)

So, at end game, when I get a new outfit, I have to pay no less than five separate costs just to have the privilege of actually wearing it. It's not enough that I have to pay for the outfit. Not enough that I have to augment it. (Three more costs remember, now we are up to four.) Now, I also have to pay simply to give it stats and make useful. Five.

There is actually one MORE cost, that frequently gets added in, depending on circumstance. Sometimes your new outfit already comes with mods in it. You have to rip those out, and then, if you want to pass down your old mods to a companion, you have to rip those out too, creating double the amount of mod ripping. This happens to me all the time, because I pass down everything. I worked for those mods, no way I'm throwing them away when my companion can use them (which therefore helps me.)

This is overkill.

It doesn't matter how "easy" getting credits is for you. That is entirely subjective and based on 1. Your playstyle, 2. Your amount of free time, and possibly 3. The amount of real life money you are willing or able to spend.

+1, I wish I'd stated this clearly in my opening post.

There are already associated costs of obtaining the new Orange set, and costs already paid for having earned the previous look.

I was not asking for the cost of augmentation to be removed (maybe reduced a bit, but not removed - although to be honest I wish the augmentations had worked more like a bionic implant that was placed into the character rather than the gear, but I digress) that already establishes an additional cost requirement when changing to a new look.

Typically as I level a new character I will try out a few looks on them, this is easily done as mods are cheap and easy to get from coms and crafting. There's no point in augmenting gear while levelling, being a few levels over the content carries far more importance than the small stat bonus the augment would bring.

But, once end game is reached and the top tiers of mods are acquired it starts to become a different matter. To be competitive you need to augment the gear (although I see with 3.0 the new bolster system will also apply a bonus for augments that are not currently taken into consideration, not sure if this applies to PvE bolsters too).

I get to spend a couple of hours in-game most nights, usually I'll earn a couple of million credits a week. I like spending those credits on game items... mounts, pets, emotes, orange gear, decorations. You know the sort of player that makes the cash shop nature of the GTN viable for other players.

I don't mind doing this.

I do mind being taxed just because I want to change the look of a character.

Not sure what game it was but you could fuse 2 like items and choose the stats of one item and the appearance of the other and put them together for a cost. From what I remember it worked well and this game would benefit greatly from a system like it.. appearance in this game is important to an extent...

As I said before I'm happy with how I appear.. I'm far less likely to try out or buy other gear due to the cost/time involved... not saying I can't or won't but its not likely.

That sounds remarkably like World of Warcraft's Transmogrification system. I'd left by the time it was put in put friends had commented on it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.