The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

AP Powertechs- easiest class to get protection points

LtBombshell

Like seriously... wow. I realise 60k protection probably isn't that great in the grand scheme of things, but I was at the top of the leaderboards for that warzone for protection. With the AoE taunt as well as the single target taunt, all I had to do was keep those two abilities on cooldown and I started racking up the protection points (=more medals = more comms).

Is it really that easy to get protection points with AP Powertechs, or did I just get lucky that one round?

Like seriously... wow. I realise 60k protection probably isn't that great in the grand scheme of things, but I was at the top of the leaderboards for that warzone for protection. With the AoE taunt as well as the single target taunt, all I had to do was keep those two abilities on cooldown and I started racking up the protection points (=more medals = more comms).

Is it really that easy to get protection points with AP Powertechs, or did I just get lucky that one round?

It's that easy to get protection points on any tank. The Jugg and Assassin AoE taunts still work as taunts in WZs, so as long as you use them on CD, and smartly (try and land AoE taunt to cover multiple people) don't clip taunts (taunted enemies glow red) and the opposing team does a fair amount of damage, 50k+ is relatively easy to get to.

But you'd be amazed how many people don't know how to use their taunts in PvP.

Also, you would get just as many points if you were a Pyro PT and not AP PT.

You got lucky, and it's going to be nigh impossible come 3.0. leave the protection points to Tanks.

3.0 Pyrotech/Plasmatech:

Level 32 - Insulated Mats - Increases Elemental and Internal damage reduction by 2%, and reduces the cooldown on Sonic Missile by 10 seconds.

So, because you can put the AoE taunt debuff up every 35 seconds instead of every 45 seconds, you're saying getting protection points is going to be HARDER?!?

(BTW 3.0 Pyrotech/Plasmatech will offensively play like 2.X AP/Tactics)

You got lucky, and it's going to be nigh impossible come 3.0. leave the protection points to Tanks.

As a DPS you'll still stack accuracy on PvP gear to hit 100% so there should be no reason you won't use taunts in PvP even in 3.0 as you won't miss too often with them. The AoE taunts for Powertech/Vanguard still keep the damage reduction component in PvP, they just get the added mechanic of a threat drop if not in tank stance.

Edited by Aienir

As a DPS you'll still stack accuracy on PvP gear to hit 100% so there should be no reason you won't use taunts in PvP even in 3.0 as you won't miss too often with them. The AoE taunts for Powertech/Vanguard still keep the damage reduction component in PvP, they just get the added mechanic of a threat drop if not in tank stance.

1) You don't take 100% accuracy in PvP

2) It doesn't matter anyway because taunts are a tech attack and players do not have any base resistance stat, unlike raid bosses which have 10% resistance. Nothing will have changed in 3.0, it will just be like pre 2.0.

***?!? Why did they keep the Taunt Effect, when it's not a taunt in DPS Stance?!?!?!?! Who decided that was a good idea? (because that was a STUPID idea.)

1) You don't take 100% accuracy in PvP

2) It doesn't matter anyway because taunts are a tech attack and players do not have any base resistance stat, unlike raid bosses which have 10% resistance. Nothing will have changed in 3.0, it will just be like pre 2.0.

Good to know. I have't played ToR in a long time (cleared HM S&V and left right after) so thanks for that correction.