Ok people... Tell me your secrets.

tomatosquish

I know I am not all that great at GSF, though I like to think of myself as a fair pilot.

However I keep running into certain people who seem to just be able to do something that nobody else can... Is it just that they are flying a ship I don't have? Well no... I have the same ships they do. Could it be that they have a different crew setup? Entirely possible but the one major annoyance I can't seem to find the crew member that gives this magic ability.

So what is this ability? The ability to drop missile lock without using a maneuver or using any apparent abilities.

The last time I asked this question the consensus was to do with latency and the game thinking their ship was somewhere other than where it was showing me it was.

I was willing to buy this excuse despite my ability to continue hammering away at them with blasters without fail however recently I found a few people that manage to pull this feat off while stationary. I also find it suspect because it is not like I start targeting them and then it goes away... it is always right as it actually locks on.

I know I am not all that great at GSF, though I like to think of myself as a fair pilot.

However I keep running into certain people who seem to just be able to do something that nobody else can... Is it just that they are flying a ship I don't have? Well no... I have the same ships they do. Could it be that they have a different crew setup? Entirely possible but the one major annoyance I can't seem to find the crew member that gives this magic ability.

So what is this ability? The ability to drop missile lock without using a maneuver or using any apparent abilities.

The last time I asked this question the consensus was to do with latency and the game thinking their ship was somewhere other than where it was showing me it was.

I was willing to buy this excuse despite my ability to continue hammering away at them with blasters without fail however recently I found a few people that manage to pull this feat off while stationary. I also find it suspect because it is not like I start targeting them and then it goes away... it is always right as it actually locks on.

Distortion Field T3.

Sometimes buff or debuffs do not show up under the ship in targeting window.

So your target might be using distortion field with missile break option while in the target window you do not see them get the buff icon from activating distortion field.

Missile lock breaks:

#1: LAG If the enemy is lagging, then often the lock will break even if the enemy is in range and in middle of the targetting circle.

Probably that is the cause ...

#2 engine abilities.

#3 Distortion field T3 upgrade.

#2 EMP field T4 upgrade Breaks locks and givesimmunity for missile locking for you and 2 (if I recall the number correctly) allies nearby.

Sharp turns, boosting out of range and breaking line of sight do the trick moreoften than you might expect.

Concerning lag: It's not only the target's lag but also the attacker's. Both add up and sometimes it just looks like the target is still in range or inside the circle while it's not.

Concerning maneuvers: Some maneuvers do not look like maneuvers to an inexperienced eye. Some of them jus look like a sharp turn or a short boost if you don't watch closely.

Edited by Danalon

The ability to drop missile lock without using a maneuver or using any apparent abilities.

As said, distortion field, right side T3. Increases evasion and breaks missile locks. They're waiting for you to fire and then hitting it, so that you have wasted a missile and put it on cooldown.

Hold your lock until you're in very close so they don't have time to react, or use clusters, which do quite a bit less damage (stock at least) but you can make them burn both their missile breaks, and then if they don't run because they're under lock and have no breaks, start landing missiles with impunity (except for them evading your lock and shooting you, obviously, but any missile you manage to launch will hit them).

Edited by MDVZ

Ok I know all about distortion field and EMP field. When I said no apparent abilities used I meant there is no visual effect which both of those abilities do have.

Furthermore, the few times I have survived long enough to attempt lock more than once. They can do it multiple times in succession... If I am not mistaken both of those abilities have rather lengthy cooldowns. Or at least longer than it takes for cluster missiles to lock on to you.

Sharp turns, boosting out of range and breaking line of sight do the trick moreoften than you might expect.

Concerning lag: It's not only the target's lag but also the attacker's. Both add up and sometimes it just looks like the target is still in range or inside the circle while it's not.

Concerning maneuvers: Some maneuvers do not look like maneuvers to an inexperienced eye. Some of them jus look like a sharp turn or a short boost if you don't watch closely.

There is no engine maneuver you can use that breaks lock while sitting still. Even snap turn would kick your engines into overdrive for a second.

Latency can explain it, especially if they were at the edges of the lock arc. If they were standing still and somehow broke your lock, then it's either dfield (which doesn't always give a buff on the targeting computer - been like this for all effects since launch), or someone else may have activated EMP, which breaks locks on friendlies in its area of effect.

Latency can explain it, especially if they were at the edges of the lock arc. If they were standing still and somehow broke your lock, then it's either dfield (which doesn't always give a buff on the targeting computer - been like this for all effects since launch), or someone else may have activated EMP, which breaks locks on friendlies in its area of effect.

In at least 2 occasions I can be certain nobody else was around.

I can understand the ability of df not showing, but that still doesn't explain the frequency that it happens.

Think of it like this... You get tone on them.

Beep, beep, beep, beee*break*

Reaqquire tone

Beep, beep, beep, beee*break*

Reaquire again:

Beep, bee*gasping for air as you are exposed to hard vaccume while your ship blows up around you*

If it is distortion field I shouldn't be able to immediately reestablish tone on them only for them to be able to reactivate in the few seconds it takes for cluster missiles to lock.

If maneuvering was involved, missile lock breaks all the time at the edges of the acquisition arc. The same problem is acquisition is right at the edge of missile lock range. All of that is due to latency. If they were standing still, then I've got no explanation.

Still latency, I would think.

Missile lock breaks:

#1: LAG If the enemy is lagging, then often the lock will break even if the enemy is in range and in middle of the targetting circle.

Probably that is the cause ...

#2 engine abilities.

#3 Distortion field T3 upgrade.

#2 EMP field T4 upgrade Breaks locks and gives immunity for missile locking for you and 2 (if I recall the number correctly) allies nearby.

#4 Right mouse button not working right - I had this problem, it was dirty and would lose contact if i even slightly moved a finger. Not enough to notice in normal play, but enough to lose the lock.

Edited by Bearmug

#4 Right mouse button not working right - I had this problem, it was dirty and would lose contact if i even slightly moved a finger. Not enough to notice in normal play, but enough to lose the lock.

Thank you. Got a new mouse and havent seen this issue since. Though I still find it a little odd that it only happened against certain people... Would think that if it were something like my RMB it would happen on everyone not just 2 or 3 people.

Thank you. Got a new mouse and havent seen this issue since. Though I still find it a little odd that it only happened against certain people... Would think that if it were something like my RMB it would happen on everyone not just 2 or 3 people.

It is possible that those people really annoyed you and you twitched the finger? Anyway, glad it's fixed.

It is possible that those people really annoyed you and you twitched the finger? Anyway, glad it's fixed.

I could see that... They were afterall the sort of people who when you see 2 of them on the same team regardless of what the rest of their team looks like compared to yours you are pretty sure you will lose.

Ok, here's my secret...to

Tasty Chili Cheese Burgers

1 pkg of ground chuck

2 table spoons of chili powder

1 table spoon of cayonne pepper

pinch or 2 of salt

pinch or 2 of black pepper

1 diced vidalia onion

Mix all together. Form into patties. Throw them on the grill(don't press them down.) Grill them to desired doneness. Toward the end throw a slice of cheese to have it melt on top. Put them on the buns and enjoy. :)