Lazy, Unskilled, or just Jerks? Which is it BioWare?

Kourage

After all this time, why does your game's quest system still continue to direct players through enemy checkpoints or outposts?

Are your people to lazy too correct it and direct players through their own factions checkpoints?

Do they lack the skill to change it?

Are you purposely directing people the wrong direction to confuse them or kill them?

Edited by Kourage

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After all this time, why does your game's quest system still continue to direct players through enemy checkpoints or outposts?

Are your people to lazy to correct it and direct players through their own factions checkpoints?

Are you purposely directing people the wrong direction to confuse them or kill them?

Examples before you are considered crazy.

Okay, let me explain since this also ticks me off to no end. What it is saying is that you are sometimes sent through an enemy base while on your way to a quest objective due to the faulty GPS.

For example, if you are Republic and on Hoth, in order to arrive at the volcanic area where quite a few class stories take place, the game's GPS tells you to travel through the Leth Outpost which is Imperial Territory and will flag you for PvP if you aren't quick enough to turn around or find some other way over said Outpost (assuming you don't "get dead" before you even know what has transpired).

What the first poster is asking, is why is this happening instead of directing you through your own faction's thoroughfare? Also of note, is that the taxis perform a similar operation as in they do not take you to your closest destination, but instead, to a destination that is a trek away.

See Taris.

I think I know what the OP is talking about. Sometimes planetary maps will direct you to your next quest destination by way of an opposite faction's "hub" area. This specifically seems to happen when there is more than one way to get to a particular area of the map (one way for each faction), and you happen to be closer to the opposite faction's designated route. This has happened to me on both Belsavis and Hoth.

It's annoying but not a huge deal, IMO.

Edit: I see that DeLaaNie beat me to the punch on the explanation. :D

Edited by CmdrShpd

Okay, let me explain since this also ticks me off to no end. What it is saying is that you are sometimes sent through an enemy base while on your way to a quest objective due to the faulty GPS.

For example, if you are Republic and on Hoth, in order to arrive at the volcanic area where quite a few class stories take place, the game's GPS tells you to travel through the Leth Outpost which is Imperial Territory and will flag you for PvP if you aren't quick enough to turn around or find some other way over said Outpost (assuming you don't "get dead" before you even know what has transpired).

What the first poster is asking, is why is this happening instead of directing you through your own faction's thoroughfare? Also of note, is that the taxis perform a similar operation as in they do not take you to your closest destination, but instead, to a destination that is a trek away.

See Taris.

It's a pathfinder. So, if you are closer to the zone transition, then yes... it will send you that way.

Basically, if you are on Hoth and are far to the South, it will tend to point you towards the southern transitions because that's the shortest route.

It's a pathfinder. So, if you are closer to the zone transition, then yes... it will send you that way.

Basically, if you are on Hoth and are far to the South, it will tend to point you towards the southern transitions because that's the shortest route.

Yes, but for new players it can be dangerous since it can flag them for PvP when all they want to do is quest. Yah, I know there is a giant warning sign and a countdown, but you'd be surprised how panic can affect simple mouse turns (assuming they turn with their mouse).

Plus, just because it is a pathfinder does not dictate that it must use the most hazardous route; it can also take "the long way 'round".

I think I know what the OP is talking about. Sometimes planetary maps will direct you to your next quest destination by way of an opposite faction's "hub" area. This specifically seems to happen when there is more than one way to get to a particular area of the map (one way for each faction), and you happen to be closer to the opposite faction's designated route. This has happened to me on both Belsavis and Hoth.

It's annoying but not a huge deal, IMO.

Edit: I see that DeLaaNie beat me to the punch on the explanation. :D

Lol, Belsavis is worse than Hoth I believe, due to the fact that some of the outposts are kind of close to the main road (and one of the Imperial ones is right on it - so glad I am a stealth-healer, lol).

Examples before you are considered crazy.

Oh come on, everyone knows about this! Years ago myself and others bug reported them. They still exist.

Go to Belsavis..... There's a spot both factions go into (Maximum Security Thoroughfare) , but Republic is on the right, Imperial on the left. They would send the Imperials right if they followed the quest directer. I'm doing a Smuggler mission on Belsavis, they directed me through the Imperial checkpoint and base from High Security to Maximum Security. This has to be the 3rd Class Story mission that sent me the wrong way. I notice these errors each time I go through the leveling process and I notice they didn't bother to fix them.

Edited by Kourage

Lol, Belsavis is worse than Hoth I believe, due to the fact that some of the outposts are kind of close to the main road (and one of the Imperial ones is right on it - so glad I am a stealth-healer, lol).

LOL, yeah I know exactly which Imperial outpost you're talking about. I once got slaughtered by the guards just for driving by on what I thought was the correct route to my next quest. Boy was I mistaken! :D

Are your people to lazy too correct it and direct players through their own factions checkpoints?

Do they lack the skill to change it? Are you purposely directing people the wrong direction to confuse them or kill them?

Why are you all torqued about this to the point of calling names? Jerks?Lazy? Unskilled? Really??? It's not a bug; it's a feature. Get over yourself and if you don't like the route, find a way around. Good Lord! The stuff people get upset about in this game is just absurd.

Edited by MSchuyler

Are you too lazy to actually read the map?

Do you lack the skill to look at the landscape in front of you and see the giant other-faction flags? Why would that not trouble you? Even on a PvE server, that still screams "Enemies Here!"

Are you purposefully complaining about an issue caused entirely by user-error?

What is it? Lazy? Unskilled or just a Jerk?

It's not hard to understand. The directions given are using a simple pathfinding algorithm. That algorithm appears to be tuned to "least distance" mode. As much as I would like it to be able to correct itself for "least travel time" (thus fixing many of the bad suggestions by the taxi droids), having it adjust the path for "too close to enemy camp" is too far on the other side of silly for me. In all cases I've seen with this, there are alternate routes around the camps which are readily available. If you want the pathfinder to make some sort of decision about how close is "too close", then you're not understanding the problem anymore.

This is a real-time RPG. It's expected that you're going to be paying attention. If you ignore all the signs and stumble into an other-faction camp... yeah, you deserve to die. You'll be flagged for PvP, because... well, you tried to PvP. You can spend the next 5 minutes at a medcenter thinking about the precautions you'll take in the future.

LOL, yeah I know exactly which Imperial outpost you're talking about. I once got slaughtered by the guards just for driving by on what I thought was the correct route to my next quest. Boy was I mistaken! :D

Again its because you where closer to the imp transition than the pub one. Now I will agree that the Belsavis routes can be a bit confusing, however I will point out that Bioware did a good job making sure the routes up to these areas was adequately marked with more than enough faction banners to give you a hint.

A new player is not aware that their routing system is flawed. A new player is not familiar with the alternative routes. You are directed to go west, but in reality you should go far north, through an area that hasn't even been uncovered. A new player is going to sit there and wonder, how the heck do I get through that?

BioWare developers either are too lazy to correct the issue, don't know how to correct it, or just like misdirecting players and confusing them.

The worst offender of this, by far, is Vette's personal mission on Tatooine. You literally need to go three doors down from the Mos Illa spaceport but the quest marker shows you need to go all the way to Achorhead (a republic outpost on the compete opposite side of the map, mind you!). I understand pathfinding and sending you the 'shortest' route but that one is just silly. Edited by Ridickilis

The worst offender of this, by far, is Vette's personal mission on Tatooine. You literally need to go three doors down from the Mos Illa spaceport but the quest marker shows you need to go all the way to Achorhead (a republic outpost on the compete opposite side of the map, mind you!). I understand pathfinding and sending you the 'shortest' route but that one is just silly.

It took me forever to find that little tunnel by the Outlaw's Den so that I could scan the 'Vaporator there for the GSI mission w/out actually going in and getting flagged. It's there, but it's a pita to find.

Think about it.... on planets designed to permit open PvP..... you ARE going to run into enemy bases.

The navigation guidance system is NOT a GPS. It does not show you the world map or it's details UNTIL you travel through it. Pretty much standard for MMOs. It's a waypoint system, not a GPS. Be happy they even give you map waypoints to determine where your mission location is.

Personally, I think it's a nice touch. It adds a bit of uncertainty to the game play... thus keeping you on your toes. When traveling on a mixed faction planets... I always use the all important and time honored tradition scouting before just blindly speeding through a cluster of NPCs at a base. I need to know... are they enemy faction NPCs, or just regular kill'em when you see 'em NPCs, or my own factions NPCs.

Game mimics real life. I guess that makes it hard. :p

Edited by Andryah

Hehe... yeah.. and... you learned a lesson too... right? like scout new territory before you speed through in cavalier manner. :)

Edited by Andryah

This does happen on Belsavis, that is where it is most prevalent I think. Quite often, due to how the planet is designed, the map system will plot your path along the route of least resistance, and that route takes you right by or through an Imperial or Republic post.

Having done the planet a few times I know to ignore the mission plot a few times when doing the planet, but of course, when I was new to the planet I was caught by this more than once.

A more intuitive mission plotting system would be beneficial to the game.

Remember....this was designed and implemented by the old dev team. And yes, they made many design mistakes IMO. This new team, however, has not made anywhere near as many mistakes in my view, and could likely fix this problem.

A more intuitive mission plotting system would be beneficial to the game.

I disagree.

Do we really need the game sooooo dumbed down that there is no possible hazard in the environment we play in? Really? Are we that helpless as a player community that we need everything policed and defanged so that we do not have to think, scout, plan as we move through brand new territory? And if it's not brand new territory (ie: your Nth character... then you already know the hazards) you already know it's there and can easily go around it.

Now.. IF they forced you to travel through enemy bases.. I would agree that needs fixing. But they don't. All you need is some situational awareness and use your eyes, then go around anything you don't want to deal with.... like every other hazardous thing on any planet in the game.

Edited by Andryah