Flagging system

Cordarn

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can all complain about lazy this, sloppy that, fact is, taking advantage of auto target -- and no way the stealther in this story didn't know what he was doing there -- is both lazy and cowardly. If he wants to PVP so badly, there are plenty of players, even on PVE servers, who are flagged for PVP. If he just wants an easy target, which very much seems the case.... I don't see why anyone would defend him. Because that *is* being too lazy and too cowardly for a proper fight. Personally, I'd rather side with the guy who plays "sloppily" by using autotarget than the coward.

On a non-PvP server, the flag should NEVER flip on its own, it should ONLY be manual.

Whatever needs to be worked out regarding groups, heals, etc, to work with that, do it.

It was lol, he attacked the guy Max. Accidental or not, he did.

You can all complain about lazy this, sloppy that, fact is, taking advantage of auto target -- and no way the stealther in this story didn't know what he was doing there -- is both lazy and cowardly. If he wants to PVP so badly, there are plenty of players, even on PVE servers, who are flagged for PVP. If he just wants an easy target, which very much seems the case.... I don't see why anyone would defend him. Because that *is* being too lazy and too cowardly for a proper fight. Personally, I'd rather side with the guy who plays "sloppily" by using autotarget than the coward.

Heck no...play smart and laugh at the ganker wasting his time. If I were on a PvE server, you bet I'd be laughing at him. I'd probably attack him a few times just to keep him around wasting his time with me. The OP simply needs to turn the tables on this jackhole...let him run around flagged...just don't target him and he's wasted a ton of time.

What you're asking for entails creating a mechanic that inconveniences other players because you can't be bothered to take responsibility for your actions. I don't want to have to manually toggle my flag when I see a flagged player I want to attack, I want to be able to just attack them. If you don't want to attack other players, be careful and make sure that you don't. Simple as that.

As someone mentioned before: That's why people like you should play on a PvP server! I don't know what server you're on, but if you're on a PvE or RP-server, you're definitely wrong there. Why do you ever want to attack another player on a PvE-server, especially one who clearly doesn't want to get attacked by you? I don't get it. Go for the real thing. Face some real challenges. I want to see you fight 1vs 4 on a PvP-server. Bragging about this being done on a PvE-server is lame. I feel shame for you. /facepalm

And while I'm on it: Congrats to all PvP-premades facerolling on RP-PvE-servers. You're the best. You manage to win against casuals. Good job. Why do you have a PvP-guild on a RP-PvE-server again? Right. Because you're too bad for the real thing.

Many players like me are on a PvE-server, because they do NOT want to PvP. And they don't want to get into any situations at all that could force them into PvP. I don't want to change my rotation just to leave out AoEs during events or whatever. Maybe they fixed this, maybe not. Fact is, I change my playing style for events. Yes, I can do that. But why do I have to? I never ever want to do PvP outside of warzones. So give me that toggle: 100% PvE, no PvP allowed. Why shouldn't this be an option?

The nonsensical way in which auto-target interacts with flagged enemy PCs is one of many reasons I turned off auto-target. See also, accidental pulls.

It's just smart to play with auto target off...knowing your target is always on the player imo.

Or maybe, lol, look before you shoot?

Tell me you don't own guns IRL OP? :eek:

Yes, of course, because an invisible ninja-mage running into your line of fire, deliberately hoping to get shot via split-second unlucky timing, is something every real-life gun owner should be careful to avoid. :rolleyes:

I'd like to see some sort of confirmation box pop up when a non-flagged player tries to attack (or do some other action that will result in flagging) another player.

- Healing this player will flag you for PvP. Ok/Cancel

- Attacking this player will flag you for PvP. Ok/Cancel

And throwing out an AoE should never flag you.

One little confirmation box and all the griefing stops without impeding those who are already flagged.

Even walking into a PvP zone gives you a 10 second warning to get out before forcing it on you.

lol, and if the answer is yes...

You'll be dead by the time you answer :p

Heck no...play smart and laugh at the ganker wasting his time. If I were on a PvE server, you bet I'd be laughing at him. I'd probably attack him a few times just to keep him around wasting his time with me. The OP simply needs to turn the tables on this jackhole...let him run around flagged...just don't target him and he's wasted a ton of time.

OP, in this case, didn't even know auto target could be turned off -- and tbh you shouldn't have to turn off something you might find convenient because some coward might try to take advantage? Like, if you think using auto target is sloppy all right -- it might be, I'm really very far from being an expert on how to play this game well. But idk, it doesn't say anything good about the character of the ganker to me to pull something like that. All it shows me is that they're either too lazy or too cowardly (and too bad) to seek out a real challenge and attack someone actually flagged and prepared for PVP. And I don't see why anyone would want to defend them then.

Yes, of course, because an invisible ninja-mage running into your line of fire, deliberately hoping to get shot via split-second unlucky timing, is something every real-life gun owner should be careful to avoid. :rolleyes:

Stop implying this can be done accidentally, it is simply not true.

The rules are simple, you have to attack someone directly to be flagged.

AOE on a flagged or flagged and stealthed enemy will NOT flag a blue.

In fact the people who say this are showing just how little they know about PvP.

A blue cannot assist in PvP, attacking a stealthed player while blue using AOE would violate that rule because it would reveal the enemy. Blues revealing enemies with AOE would be a very bad bug.

Most PvPers understand the basic rules.

The fact is OP attacked first and then to hide the shame of defeat he posted this thread, and along came more uninformed PvEers to make up stuff that is not even true :p

-Salt

OP, in this case, didn't even know auto target could be turned off -- and tbh you shouldn't have to turn off something you might find convenient because some coward might try to take advantage? Like, if you think using auto target is sloppy all right -- it might be, I'm really very far from being an expert on how to play this game well. But idk, it doesn't say anything good about the character of the ganker to me to pull something like that. All it shows me is that they're either too lazy or too cowardly (and too bad) to seek out a real challenge and attack someone actually flagged and prepared for PVP. And I don't see why anyone would want to defend them then.

Forget auto target, he should look at his target before he attacks, what if it had been a nearby enemy (55) elite guard?

People who don't look at the target they attack should be player killed, they cause wipes in FP/OP :D

Edited by Foambreaker

Forget auto target, he should look at his target before he attacks, what if it had been a nearby enemy (55) elite guard?

People who don't look at the target they attack should be player killed, they cause wipes in FP/OP :D

.......When are you ever going to run into a 55 Elite Guard whom you're going to attack accidentally by auto target and who you aren't prepared to fight.

And for heaven's sake...

Your blaming me for something that was completely timing based. He literally popped out of stealth next to me (I was unaware of his presence) and killed it right as I had clicked a skill for the final blow. It then auto targeted him. Now, if I had known that he was their I wouldn't have clicked anything in fact as soon as he unstealthed and killed him my first thought was "crap its gonna auto target him." also, I did not know you could turn off the auto targeting via options because if I did it would not have had that turned on to..

OP didn't know you could turn it off in the first place. And I don't know about you, but I've certainly overseen useful options in Preferences before that were then pointed out to me.

Incidentally, you're assuming OP/everyone plays FPs and even OPs. As someone who after ten months still hasn't stepped a foot into a single HM FP, I can assure you that's not the case. (And anyway, that's kinda douchey thing to say anyway. They don't deserve being ganked, they should be told why having it turned on isn't optimal and how to turn it off if they don't know.)

Edited by freeoftime

.......When are you ever going to run into a 55 Elite Guard whom you're going to attack accidentally by auto target and who you aren't prepared to fight.

And for heaven's sake...

So your saying, don't look, just shoot?

Reassure us all that you are not a gun owner IRL...

I'm not saying that at all, I'm saying OP didn't know you could turn it off and saying he deserves to get killed rather than being told how to do so is not very nice?

And I oppose civilians having guns anyway, so no, I'm not and never will be. Not that this has any bearing in the discussion at hand, about a game mechanic, whatsoever, so nicely transparent and ridiculous derailing tactic there.

Edited by freeoftime

*eyeroll* No, he's saying that the OP had no reason to think that someone in stealth would step in and fire a kill shot at the last second, which would change his target to that person in return.

it's not the same thing, and you know it.

Edited by DreamMuse

*eyeroll* No, he's saying that the OP had no reason to think that someone in stealth would step in and fire a kill shot at the last second, which would change his target to that person in return.

it's not the same thing, and you know it.

Its EXACTLY the same, you pick a target and you kill it.

You don't just kill the next target without even looking, that is absurd on the face of it.

You don't just kill the next target without even looking, that is absurd on the face of it.

It's not even close to the same thing and trying to equate the two is rather foolish or an extreme case of trolling, take your pick. But then, this thread is full of trolling.

Stop implying this can be done accidentally, it is simply not true.

The rules are simple, you have to attack someone directly to be flagged.

AOE on a flagged or flagged and stealthed enemy will NOT flag a blue.

In fact the people who say this are showing just how little they know about PvP.

A blue cannot assist in PvP, attacking a stealthed player while blue using AOE would violate that rule because it would reveal the enemy. Blues revealing enemies with AOE would be a very bad bug.

Most PvPers understand the basic rules.

The fact is OP attacked first and then to hide the shame of defeat he posted this thread, and along came more uninformed PvEers to make up stuff that is not even true :p

So a mob can't die in the 1/20th of a second before you hit the attack, causing auto-attack to select the nearest targetable thing, which happens to be the flagged enemy PC coming out of stealth?

That really can't happen?

So auto-target wouldn't, in that situation, cause the attack to fire on the flagged enemy PC regardless of the player's intention?

Or, the one I've actually seen, PvPtrolls don't charge into the middle of fights and jump around in circles, hoping to be accidentally targeted as someone is trying to click on a mob?

Edited by Max_Killjoy

If you guys know as much about this game as you do actual combat, which is nothing, you should just stop talking. To compare the two is ridiculous.

No, what's absurd is that you think he should be pre-cognizant and predict some random Stealth stepping in at the last second and stealing his kill, then taking the brunt of the upcoming attack, as if the Stealth couldn't imagine it happening.

That reads like an ambush, to me.

Edited by DreamMuse