Options to cancel a GTN Transaction - TOO MANY SCAM LISTINGS!!!

chosonman

No. It's a bratty, petulant attitude... you don't have a "right" to a fix to something that is not intrinsically broken.

The community has received a response from the developers that they will look into options to reduce the frequency of mis-purchases.

First though they are participating in a national campaign to visit the houses of people who have been 'hurt' by this 'scam' and are taping pillows to all the sharp corners in their homes.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First though they are participating in a national campaign to visit the houses of people who have been 'hurt' by this 'scam' and are taping pillows to all the sharp corners in their homes.

This made me laugh a lot harder then it should have, given the amount of innatentive derpy people losing their credits we should buy stock in those pillows... ;)

Thats not true, totally false statement, i made the mistake on clicking on an 8 mil item thinking it was an 8 k item, i was aware of what i was doing perfectly, i was concious at the moment but was led to believe due to a deceptive price and a bad GTN format that the correct price was 8k when in fact was 8 mil

Bad GTN formating which BW should fix and a a seller which takes advantage of this with the purpouse of deceit are the ones to blame not the buyer who truthfully believes hes paying the right and correct price for an item he wished to purchase

To summarize, BW should change the game because you couldn't take the time to read a price?

I agree that the formating of price per unit should be changed if nothing else, for aesthetic reasons. Round them to the next full credit and get rid of the decimals, or add ",00" to prices with no decimals. This would make visualization better. Other than that, I can't see anything wrong with the GTN interface.

I have to admit though, I still don't understand the details of what happened to the OP which prompted this thread.

I get the OP made an 8mil purchase thinking it was 8k (as he stated), but I don't see how the interface could be blamed. Or exactly how he proposes the GTN be changed in order to prevent ir from happening. Perhaps someone could explain to me? (Yes, I've read the full of the thread and am still at a loss)

Edited by Terrorus

To summarize, BW should change the game because you couldn't take the time to read a price?

Incorrect, i read the price just fine, and it was so cleverly conceived that i figured it was the lowest price when in fact was not i even clicked on it twice, maybe even bad connection lag since the prices didnt change order also contributed to this perception

I undestand that its hard for you to understand that so if we take that into perspective this conversation will lead nowhere

Maybe I'm a "smart shopper" or maybe I don't buy enough stuff on the GTN, but I have never seen a scam listing.

The item name appears in the GTN window, the price shows as does the price pre unit. You can set the filter to sort by lowest price, lowest unit price etc. So how does one place a scam listing? It is all pretty cut and dry, you just have to be paying attention.

I have my 10 year old daughter buying crafting mats and selling items for me while I cook dinner and she has never been "scammed."

So I ask what exactly are these scams you speak of?

Incorrect, i read the price just fine, and it was so cleverly conceived that i figured it was the lowest price when in fact was not i even clicked on it twice, maybe even bad connection lag since the prices didnt change order also contributed to this perception

I undestand that its hard for you to understand that so if we take that into perspective this conversation will lead nowhere

If you "read the price just fine" you would have noticed the real price.

I understand that its hard for you to understand you need to take responsibility for your own mistake.

I agree that the formating of price per unit should be changed if nothing else, for aesthetic reasons. Round them to the next full credit and get rid of the decimals, or add ",00" to prices with no decimals. This would make visualization better. Other than that, I can't see anything wrong with the GTN interface.

I have to admit though, I still don't understand the details of what happened to the OP which prompted this thread.

I get the OP made an 8mil purchase thinking it was 8k (as he stated), but I don't see how the interface could be blamed. Or exactly how he proposes the GTN be changed in order to prevent ir from happening. Perhaps someone could explain to me? (Yes, I've read the full of the thread and am still at a loss)

Here is the only explanation you should need.

Hey folks,

There has been a lot of chatter this weekend in General Discussion around how players are posting on the GTN, specifically around use of decimals/commas, and whether we feel it is an exploit or not. For starters, we definitely don't want to see any players scammed out of their hard earned credits and we will work to stop those situations wherever possible. Unfortunately, this is not one of those scenarios.

What someone is doing in this scenario is posting something at a higher value than the market would typically have that item listed for. For us, it would be impossible to tell if a user was posting an item at a higher value to try to "scam" another user, or simply because that is what they want to sell it for.

When purchasing items on the GTN, aside from the initial sorting and purchase we also have a secondary window pop-up as confirmation of sale. If you feel you are at risk of buying something off of the GTN at an intended value, take your time! Make sure to read over exactly what they are selling it for and then double check that number when you receive the pop-up. Also, we highly recommend using the sorting functions for both total and unit prices to make sure you are paying what you want.

With that in mind, I am going to pass these issues back to the dev team and see if there is anything we can work towards in the future for the GTN to help alleviate these issues. Thanks everyone!

-eric

The gist of it though, is there are some sellers who have figured out that there are players who get in a hurry when shopping on the GTN and in their haste they have a hard time telling the difference between a decimal followed by two digits and a comma followed by three digits.

If the unit price of Potato is 497.45 per Potato, the unscrupulous sellers will list a Potato for 497,450 credits. Buyers who are rushing to buy as many Potatos as possible at the cheapest price possible may then buy 1 potato at a ridiculous price because they weren't paying close enough attention to the unit price.

Most of these occurrences would go away with some simple changes to the UI of the GTN, such as removing the decimal and fractional credits displayed in unit price. A different default sort order for the GTN would also eliminate a lot of these transactions. However, the only 100% effective means of preventing it, is to open your eyes and read the listing carefully.

Edited by Orizuru

Here is the only explanation you should need.

The gist of it though, is there are some sellers ...

Thank you, that mirrors my thoughts on the issue.

Still in the dark as to what the OP exact sugestion is.

EDIT: I never had any problems reading the GTN prices nad I live in a country where we separate the thousands by a point and the decimals by a comma (the reverse of what the game does).

3.000 would read three thounsand and 3,67 would read three decimal sixty seven

Still don't see how theese scams can work.

Edited by Terrorus

If you "read the price just fine" you would have noticed the real price.

I understand that its hard for you to understand you need to take responsibility for your own mistake.

I hope you understand that taking responsibility is not synonymous of "sucking it up", maybe your definition is different than mine:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/responsibility

on one's own responsibility, on one's own initiative or authority:

the ability or authority to act or decide on one's own, without supervision

This is just one of the other actions i took without supervision and on my own initiative to have this issue addressed, that according to the definition is taking responsibility

Of course you mean "sucking up" which is by no means taking responsibility, its just that "sucking it up" which is basically what you desire and why you are on this thread

On the other hand with more careful thought what you are asking is exactly the opposite, is "take no action" by taking the loss which is totally different, by the definition above what you suggest is NOT taking responsibility

Edited by khsolo

S/he wants it changed. No specific suggestion, just "Change It!"

Now, should the Sith Inquisitors go make sure this goes back into the grave?

There have been many specific suggestions on how to fix it, but go ahead, keep pushing to have no changes made so you can keep tricking people.

There have been many specific suggestions on how to fix it, but go ahead, keep pushing to have no changes made so you can keep tricking people.

Actually, I do support some changes.

And I was referring to the OP, who did not actually suggest anything other than "Change It" in the Original Post.

I hope you understand that taking responsibility is not synonymous of "sucking it up", maybe your definition is different than mine:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/responsibility

This is just one of the other actions i took without supervision and on my own initiative to have this issue addressed, that according to the definition is taking responsibility

Of course you mean "sucking up" which is by no means taking responsibility, its just that "sucking it up" which is basically what you desire and why you are on this thread

On the other hand with more careful thought what you are asking is exactly the opposite, is "take no action" by taking the loss which is totally different, by the definition above what you suggest is NOT taking responsibility

To summarize, you were lazy enough to not read a price, you paid more than you thought, so you went online to whine about it.

Protip: next time, take the extra 10 seconds to check the prices before buying off of the GTN. There is no way to 'cleverly conceal a price'. Stop trying to change the game because you apparently are unable to read correctly.

To summarize, you were lazy enough to not read a price, you paid more than you thought, so you went online to whine about it.

Protip: next time, take the extra 10 seconds to check the prices before buying off of the GTN. There is no way to 'cleverly conceal a price'. Stop trying to change the game because you apparently are unable to read correctly.

Thats totally correct, i dont have 10 secs for each and every buy i do nor i have the time to triple or quadruple check the correct price in the hope that in not being robbed

IF BW has a system in place where you have to spend 10 secs for each buy or have to triple check what you do then that system is wrong

Its obvious you dont give a damn about it but i do, in not going to concede on this issue and this discussion is mute since neither you or i are going to change our minds or our points of view

Thats totally correct, i dont have 10 secs for each and every buy i do nor i have the time to triple or quadruple check the correct price in the hope that in not being robbed

IF BW has a system in place where you have to spend 10 secs for each buy or have to triple check what you do then that system is wrong

Its obvious you dont give a damn about it but i do, in not going to concede on this issue and this discussion is mute since neither you or i are going to change our minds or our points of view

The system isn't wrong. the GTN is an open market. Buyer beware. GTN is just another form of PvP.

And BTW, if you read his response, EricMusco disagrees with you.

Edited by Cidanel

Do you have the three seconds to make sure you're looking at the right price?

And the word is moot, mute means "unable to speak". But even then moot isn't the word you want, because " moot" means "no longer an issue", not " going in circles because you can't agree to disagree ".

And Musco said there was no way to prove the initial issue was a scam or not. Maybe the player who posted that item, really thought it was worth that much. We don't know because we, nor BW, can read minds through computer screens.

Musco also said that your best protection was to slow down your buying and check to be sure you're paying what you want to pay. So no speed clicking.

He then said he was going to toss the issue to the Devs to see if they could make the GTN more convenient and player friendly to use.

People that can't spare the time or effort to be careful with their money don't deserve to keep it.