Merc pvp in 3.0

Macroeconomics

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both specs of merc have the kiting tools available already. What makes life hard for mercs is we have 1 mitigation DcD, and it doesn't fall in the "oh sh*t" category. This means its crazy easy to swap on a merc, stun him and then nuke him, safe in the knowledge that without extensive peeling from his team he won't be able to put up anything capable of countering.

With TTK being buffed substantially that lack of a get out of dodge cooldown isn't as pressing. Globalling will be a thing of the past, meaning us mercs will have luxurious amount of time to respond.

Also if you are seriously worried about melee in 3.0....well...

Lightning is a bad choice for pvp. Having equivalence with a horrible pvp platform is not the aim. Instead I compare the best pvp Merc dps subclass to the best pvp Sorc dps subclass. And the Sorc comes out on top. BY A LOT. Better damage output, better off healing output, better team utility and better escapability. If you don't understand that Merc dps is in a worse position, then you are simply not understanding.

Or I'm not a chicken little, and reserve judgment until I have all the info.

• 2 weeks later...
So if what you say is true about 3.0 we as BH will take a little longer to die....?

I don't really see how mercs are going to survive longer in solo arenas coming 3.0. People have already tried high endurance builds pushing 37k hp. You'll last one or two more globals and that's it.

I don't really see how mercs are going to survive longer in solo arenas coming 3.0. People have already tried high endurance builds pushing 37k hp. You'll last one or two more globals and that's it.
Even as high as 40k, it doesnt help when 7000 extra health is one average crit from one player and you usually have to deal with 2-3 players who go after you like you are the candy pinjata at a fat-camp

I've said this before - for Merc in arenas, you must let your teammates start the fight first. Then jump in by switching to the focus target and use both HO and Power Surge to get off TM-FM-HSM-RS while moving. Hopefully the commotion of the initial meeting engagement allows you to go unnoticed for a few GCDs after that.

The problem is that even if it works, you basically are not involved in the fight for the first few GCDs. You are being carried by your teammates. At best. At worst, the other team has a stealth advantage and they open on you first which means your team will lose. No one wants a Merc on their arena team. Do your teammates a favor and don't bring one. If you like to play ranged, then use a Madness Sorc. Already the top of the pile for ranged dps, and getting buffed further in 3.0.

I've said this before - for Merc in arenas, you must let your teammates start the fight first. Then jump in by switching to the focus target and use both HO and Power Surge to get off TM-FM-HSM-RS while moving. Hopefully the commotion of the initial meeting engagement allows you to go unnoticed for a few GCDs after that.

The problem is that even if it works, you basically are not involved in the fight for the first few GCDs. You are being carried by your teammates. At best. At worst, the other team has a stealth advantage and they open on you first which means your team will lose. No one wants a Merc on their arena team. Do your teammates a favor and don't bring one. If you like to play ranged, then use a Madness Sorc. Already the top of the pile for ranged dps, and getting buffed further in 3.0.

I don't think any merc would want to start the fight at the frontline. The problem is that even if you stay way back you are going to attract assassins like ***** attract flies.

I don't think any merc would want to start the fight at the frontline. The problem is that even if you stay way back you are going to attract assassins like ***** attract flies.

Never underestimate how long melee and especially stealth classes will wait to jump on and how obsessed they will be about focusing a merc even if he's at the back.

You're in a team of 3 melee vs a slinger 2 shadows and a guardian.

The guardian will camp the slinger because there's no advantage of them leaving each other and the shadows will mooch around until they can bum the merc because why not.

A dps merc can't heal themselves much, their defensive CD will be burnt in 20 seconds then on CD for their expected lifespan and above all else, they do utterly rubbish damage when harassed unlike melee classes.

No downside to ganking the merc ever.

Zoom, Diadx, and the other guy, don't worry about Macro, he doesn't know how to play against Sorcs/Sages, just let him rant. Overall though the new changes to the Merc look very promising.

LOL. How's your "promising" now? Madness Sorc damage per second in a wz is now over 2,000. With an additional 30-40% of hps on top of that. Where is your Merc? Uh, yeah about half of that. You are the same guy that in the Sorc forum said his Sorc can't kill anyone 1v1 unless he was a noob. Figures. Right now the only other dps that can get close to Madness Sorc wz output is Madness Assassin. Another class you probably know nothing about.

LOL. How's your "promising" now? Madness Sorc damage per second in a wz is now over 2,000. With an additional 30-40% of hps on top of that. Where is your Merc? Uh, yeah about half of that. You are the same guy that in the Sorc forum said his Sorc can't kill anyone 1v1 unless he was a noob. Figures. Right now the only other dps that can get close to Madness Sorc wz output is Madness Assassin. Another class you probably know nothing about.

http://i.imgur.com/6sFrSh7.jpg ;) ( 1 day before 3.0, should still be possible)

Those 2k dps from madness are almost meaningless in WZs. Fluff dmg at its best. Im eating madness sorcs for breafast on my merc. Lightning is where its at.

Mercs are pretty dang fun in regs, however absolutely bottom tier in solo ranked. We did almost 5 hours of solo ranked today with 30+ peops.

First impressions:

Mercs die faster, way way faster than in 2.10... like im getting wrecked in seconds... with energy shield up, adrenal, kolto overload, running and trying to kite ... no chance... and even no chance for the healer to heal through that burst.

Always first target. Dead in a matter of seconds. Sniper shares the same fate.

For solo ranked mercs are the weakest healers, unless u have a tank which turns them probably into the best.

Sorcs and Ops are kinda even, The Sorc has more tools while the OPs just do what they do best ... surviving and kiting while dishing out those instants.

While the general dps has gone down, burst is completely out of control. My Merc Heal is eating with 10% dmg reduction ontop of my armor 12k+ Furious strike crits, 9k+ dev blasts, 10k+ vicious throws. Lighting Sorcs simply demolish your lifebar.

Smasher Juggers seem to be the new Fotm.

Those 2k dps from madness are almost meaningless in WZs. Fluff dmg at its best. Im eating madness sorcs for breafast on my merc. Lightning is where its at.

Mercs are pretty dang fun in regs, however absolutely bottom tier in solo ranked. We did almost 5 hours of solo ranked today with 30+ peops.

First impressions:

Mercs die faster, way way faster than in 2.10... like im getting wrecked in seconds... with energy shield up, adrenal, kolto overload, running and trying to kite ... no chance... and even no chance for the healer to heal through that burst.

For solo ranked mercs are the weakest healers, unless u have a tank which turns them probably into the best.

Sorcs and Ops are kinda even, The Sorc has more tools while the OPs just do what they do best ... surviving and kiting while dishing out those instants.

While the general dps has gone down, burst is completely out of control. My Merc Heal is eating with 10% dmg reduction ontop of my armor 12k+ Furious strike crits, 9k+ dev blasts, 10k+ vicious throws. Lighting Sorcs simply demolish your lifebar.

So basically its the same as in season 3 :'(

First impressions:

Don't mind macro he doesn't know how to play

Its sad really, i didnt expect anything else really but the added passive protection was atleast a little something.

To be fair im not dying when im stunned, im dying when im whitecapped.

It is impossible to heal through the dmg a sniper or merc eats, even when free casting there is no freakin way without a tank.

I dont feel the cooldown increase on the Interrupt. I got constantly locked out, hell i even fake casted. Juggers and Sorcs are just a bane. You can kite even less than in 2.10... Endure Pain on Juggers and Hydraulics on PTs just wreck you.

Assasins can be knocked away or rooted! while Deflection is up! Dont know if intentional but it helps.

I will give group ranked a try eventually. 8v8 seems to be the mando playground.

Ist not the same as season 3. Ops Dps seem to be viable now... to the point where yesterday people just stopped attacking the operative because they couldnt kill him. Some actually complained about this "unkillable BS" . Bioware actually created their "new hybrid". Ive seen lethality put out 1k + dps while healing the team with hots and his instant every 9 secs for 1200 hps+, while kiting and surviving against 2-3 dps. Its almost broken in non healer games.

Edited by texoc

Lots of type here.... this has probably been mentioned...

Why not just pool all Utilities into one category. Its not like any of them are any better or worse then any others. They are all just arbitrarily grouped into 3 tiers of powerfulness.

Typical SWTOR nonsense.

OP is exactly right. /Signed 100%.

Its for the reasons he has stated that I no longer PVP on my commando.

PVP'ing on a commando in Ranked is a joke. Its so obvious to anyone who has actually done so that we need an oh *** dcd I seriously doubt that those trolling him have actually put themselves through that horrendous experience.

Its also pretty obvious that the designers at Bioware don't actually do much ranked PVP themselves and definitely not on a commando:).

Kudos to OP for sticking to his commando.

Why not just pool all Utilities into one category. Its not like any of them are any better or worse then any others. They are all just arbitrarily grouped into 3 tiers of powerfulness.

Typical SWTOR nonsense.

No this would cause so many problems it's not even funny

Typical SWTOR nonsense.

That would make mara and jug insanely OP. Sorcs would also get pretty nuts.

I have no played in ranked, or even got to 60 yet. STILL, even against the better players on my server, my merc is much improved. I think the good players will succeed, the bad ones will still be farmed. But now, the potential is there for ranked pvp.

I am stuck at 55 till Dec 9 :(. Merc is defiantly significantly improved. I primarily play arsenal and majority of the damage is done on the run, thus mobility issues are mostly resolved. The problem I see is that it arsenal does not do enough damage (again maybe cuz I am still level 55). I have been playing lightning sorc as well, which plays very similar and does an average 30-40% more damage, with very high burst. For someone like me who barely knows how to play lightning sorc, but is decent playing arsenal merc, to be able to perform substantially better with sorc is not a good sign.

As for pyro, once I saw that the new skill is a cast dot, I was: "nope." I guess the closest thing that play like pyro merc is AP PT. The comparison is just :eek:

First impressions:

I have had a lot of work lately so I haven't managed to get my merc healer to more than level 57 so far. I did Oricon for credits and my survivability is lower now in pve than prepatch. And that is having two more levels than before. I'm not sure they actually buffed anything with merc heals. Sure the kolto bomb hits more people but when you don't have 8 players around you will have a low HPS. I don't think my HPS right now is better than prepatch. Too bad my combat logs from before 3.0 got lost in a reinstall.