Developer Update: Introduction to Disciplines

TaitWatson

Actually, you sure can see video of it :rak_03:. We are still locking down details but it is our goal to do a special live stream tomorrow to show you Disciplines! We think the best way to understand the system is to show it to you. Our current plan is the stream will go from 2-3PM Central time.

-eric

Awesome!!! I'm really excited about this change tbh. Very interesting :)

I'm curious though, how much will this impact a lot of out existing skills? Will players be forced to re-learn the classes all over again or are most skills staying intact (like the current class skills) and what are top tier skills now?

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They explain it quite clearly in the blog post.

TL;DR - Skill trees become insanely hard to balance the more levels/points you add.

I read it but i could read how WoW works... com'on is like a copy paste and I'm a big fan of swtor. This idea have throw away lot of people from WoW, I'm really shock

This new system could be interesting.

But, since you are changing the spec system, please for the love of god, now would be a good time to create a multi-spec save option (spec, gear and keybind save), like you know, every other decent mmo on the market. Field respec has been available for so long, the quality of life that a multi-spec save option brings is greatly needed.

Been saying since launch that the skill trees were an antiquated faulty system.

The illusion of choice. The only choice was: look at a guide, or gimp yourself. Nice choice. :rolleyes:

When the other game got rid of the trees, they've actually changed the system for the better.

Suddenly there were interesting choices, which spells should i take,

they were equally valid, and did interesting things.

On the other hand, the only people that enjoyed skill trees

were the ones who were out to break and game the system.

Especially the early establishment of role is a great thing.

That should make playing the midlevels much more interesting. :D

BW-

At first glance, I would say I'm highly in favor of the new Discipline feature.

I will re-iterate a request that has been made a zillion times, please also include the ability to quickly and easily change your discipline. This includes remembering the gear and hot bar settings for at least 2 diferent Disciplines.

It's the joke of my entire raid group that we all need to take a 30 minute break while I respec from tank to dps on my Guardian. Now, I can acutally respec a bit faster than 30 minutes, but it's not trivial to change every gear slot, my skill tree, and my hot bars, and ensure I have everything exactly right. Including re-locking my hot bars.

^^^ This. With 3.0 would be the best time to introduce this to the game. Also we know that you are still working on details but do you have a rough estimate for when we could see 3.0 on PTS ?

what I'm exited for is:

Fight in New High-Level Flashpoints and Operations – Team with allies to face the most epic foes in the galaxy with two new role-neutral Flashpoints, four Hard Mode Flashpoints and ten new powerful bosses across two Level 60 Operations.

Starting with 10 boss and 2 operation is a good start... hope is not just this in the next year like the past one.

Been saying since launch that the skill trees were an antiquated faulty system.

The illusion of choice. The only choice was: look at a guide, or gimp yourself. Nice choice. :rolleyes:

When the other game got rid of the trees, they've actually changed the system for the better.

Suddenly there were interesting choices, which spells should i take,

they were equally valid, and did interesting things.

On the other hand, the only people that enjoyed skill trees

were the ones who were out to break and game the system.

Especially the early establishment of role is a great thing.

That should make playing the midlevels much more interesting. :D

You didn't play wow or you are interested by paint drying. The choices WoW gave you were peripheral, they had little to do with how you played.

How about a system with actual choices instead having no choices?

Disciplines being introduced will not allow you to change Advanced Class, just Discipline. Example, if you are a Madness Sorcerer right now you will have the option of which Discipline to move into, Corruption, Lightning, or Madness just like you do now! Also, just like now, you will be able to change Disciplines after choosing should you want to.

-eric

My First Dev Response here.... Sadley not one I like. Thanks for the quick answer anyways!

Actually, you sure can see video of it :rak_03:. We are still locking down details but it is our goal to do a special live stream tomorrow to show you Disciplines! We think the best way to understand the system is to show it to you. Our current plan is the stream will go from 2-3PM Central time.

-eric

Many thanks!

• Dev Post
Stupid question but do I have to purchase the expansion to get Disciplines?

"When you log into the expansion for the first time you will be prompted to choose your desired Discipline and utilities, and you are off and running."

Not a stupid question at all! You do not need to purchase the expansion to get Disciplines. They will roll out, game-wide, with the launch of 3.0. You can find more details on that towards the bottom of the Shadow of Revan page.

-eric

I hope that "Field Respecialization" will continue to work.

But yeah, +1 to being able to save the spec (at least the Utility Points chosen, as I have no idea how the thing evolves anyway) and, preferably, the quickbar layouts as well.

No longer are you forced to purchase skills that are, in essence, necessary for your character to function; you simply get them automatically as you level up and progress down what we call the Discipline Path.

Would be really nice if all the gold we invested in our skills this far would also be refunded.

I will re-iterate a request that has been made a zillion times, please also include the ability to quickly and easily change your discipline. This includes remembering the gear and hot bar settings for at least 2 diferent Disciplines.

It's the joke of my entire raid group that we all need to take a 30 minute break while I respec from tank to dps on my Guardian. Now, I can acutally respec a bit faster than 30 minutes, but it's not trivial to change every gear slot, my skill tree, and my hot bars, and ensure I have everything exactly right. Including re-locking my hot bars.

Although I second the request, I frequently switch from tank to DPS on my Guardian and it only takes about 5 minutes and only having to move around three skills on my hot bars. If it's taking you a long time, that sounds like a work flow thing on your part, not a problem on theirs.

I smell a port to consoles here... lol

so these rumors a month or 2 ago.... was actually true? Everybody said, NO WAY because it said : port to consoles...

what this discipline thing do, is a smell of a console port.

Bring back the skill trees! lol

I suggest a new skill tree called RIOT.

Edited by Oyranos