The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Sentinel/Marauder 3.0 Discussion/Wishlist Thread

Emperor-Norton

AAAAANNNND here comes the worst marauder in existence to post.

Sorry that you still think rng is skill :rolleyes:

Except all of the really good Marauders agree with him. And if a "bad" Marauder can see what all the ones above him see, where does that place you. See the thing you have been unable to realize over all your posting is that as much as RNG sucks, if affects everyone else that plays it. Everyone who played Carnage good or bad dealt with bad procs and adapting to an unreliable RNG system. And the better players adapted to said RNG much better and faster than all the bad ones. Hence a big skill gap between those who could adapt well and those who couldn't, and said gap disappeared with the changes. Carnage is stupid easy to play now, the fact that you can't realize that simply suggests you were either never good with it or understood it to begin with.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AAAAANNNND here comes the worst marauder in existence to post.

Sorry that you still think rng is skill :rolleyes:

So the guy who wrote the guide that pretty much all marauders/sentinels used for learning how 2 combat/carnage is the worst marauder in existence? Well... since he uses a sentinel... :p

So the guy who wrote the guide that pretty much all marauders/sentinels used for learning how 2 combat/carnage is the worst marauder in existence? Well... since he uses a sentinel... :p

I used his guide for old Combat as my basis for the spec, then branched off and started making it my own. Solid blueprint IMHO, though obviously my opinionated self made changes to it internally. I think the main criticism of his Sentinel/Marauder stuff is just that he doesn't actually main one and hasn't used it for world pace progression. Which is a valid criticism of SOMETHING, but I don't think it necessarily invalidates his ability to look at a skill tree and formulate a rotation. Personally, I just try stuff out that I read, if it works, it sticks, and whatever doesn't work, I make changes. The BRIGHT side is that he is/was enthusiastic about the spec. I'd rather someone who CARES about the spec make a guide as opposed to just a good player who picked up the spec for a specific fight and never touched it again. I think that's important. Because, honestly, you're more likely to get updates and an attempt at nuanced discussion when the player in question CARES about the spec and CARES about the QoL of it.

Excuse me but what is the point of this thread? Is it to argue wether or not carnage/combat is skill or is it to discuss good valid changes for the marauder?

Honestly i loved the changes for Carnage/Combat, it made me more consistent in pvp and a lot more dangerous for when the time arrives. Fishing for procs made me lose many unfortunate 1v1's aswell as not getting the kills in a certain timeframe VS healers and tanks that did theyr job in a difficult WZ.

Imho i didn't feel it that the spec was too difficult when i had to fish for procs contra now when you can always get it with massacre. The thing is though, you still get Execute when u attack with other attacks so there still is a RNG to wether or not you're wasting time doing a massacre before scream.

I can't speak for PVE though, but for PVP this was a change well deserved and needed imo and tbh if all you pve'ers lost from the spec was "the fun of it" then it sounds like a good tradeoff.

PS: There isn't any dmg difference between the two patches, only quality of life improvement for pvp.

Ofc it wont matter in that fight... don't play stupid. :D

But as such dps only classes should have spot 1 on melee and ranged damage.. there's really nothing more to say. If you don't agree on this, it ok but then we have so big gap in our way of thinking that it's pointless to debate for any other reason than entertainment :)

When I mention it had the highest skill difference I meant from #1 to #20. Even more so you can't put random player x on old carnage the same you could put random player y on a PT and the difference from a parse/fight if you compared to a "seasoned player on that class" would be a huge difference. The ICD of gore reset and the timing alone to execute a proper gore window was the difference.

To my knowledge no other class has ever been like that and bioware wanting to remove all "RNG" from the game overall lowers the cap in the game and makes everything more basic if you will.

To add something of value and on topic

My opinion on bloodthirst: Still would bring a marauder to a raid if it was removed, most use the ability as a crutch and it would make raiding more interesting. It is like using nades which I think Zorz brought to life ( If the GCD was beneficial) it is simply a dps increase and zero reason not to. Its the same thing getting the pilgrim buff which I have face palmed at zorz members for not wanting to use it off the basis of " we don't need it". You take any advantage you can get if its not a exploit and of bug/glitch within the game.

I do think if it was removed you would see less overall marauders in PvE and more assassins/PT because "parses" but marauders are in a good place. Then again I'm the person that played a sorc when it was a trash can because I could and my "ego". I don't think any progression decision I made was based off a class and not the person behind the class.

There is

RAWWWWRRRR BLOODTHIRST

Edited by JDotter

Yeah, I am interested to see what BioWare considers utility abilities. For instance will Narrowed Hated/Steadfast be Discipline-dependent or utility?

Or for that matter what are they doing to accuracy (and other stats) in their overhaul on the combat system. Alacrity got a big change that they teased yesterday. I'm a fan of them making it more desireable to all classes. Wonder if they'll change critical, accuracy etc...?

Or for that matter what are they doing to accuracy (and other stats) in their overhaul on the combat system. Alacrity got a big change that they teased yesterday. I'm a fan of them making it more desireable to all classes. Wonder if they'll change critical, accuracy etc...?

Yeah what effect could they give it to make it helpful for Sents...Alacrity:rolleyes:

Edited by Atlanis

I assume all of the factors will change for the stats equations. They have a couple of levers to pull to adjust the curve of each stat. I would expect we'll see higher diminishing returns on crit aka a steeper curve*. Assuming they don't change the stat allocations on gear, I could imagine every DPS class will want some alacrity. I hope the optimal build for each class includes a balance of all of the available/relevant stats.

* Because I know someone is going to argue that the DR on crit sucks, the diminishing marginal returns on critical rating are actually not bad. That is you get roughly the same % increase with the first 100 points as you do with the second 100 points. The issue currently with Critical Rating is that its reward - especially compared to Power - is poor. Read this for more info.

I assume all of the factors will change for the stats equations. They have a couple of levers to pull to adjust the curve of each stat. I would expect we'll see higher diminishing returns on crit aka a steeper curve*. Assuming they don't change the stat allocations on gear, I could imagine every DPS class will want some alacrity. I hope the optimal build for each class includes a balance of all of the available/relevant stats.

* Because I know someone is going to argue that the DR on crit sucks, the diminishing marginal returns on critical rating are actually not bad. That is you get roughly the same % increase with the first 100 points as you do with the second 100 points. The issue currently with Critical Rating is that its reward - especially compared to Power - is poor. Read this for more info.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this as well and would welcome more of a balance to stat distributions. It seems like Bioware's intent has been to balance stats based on how they create their gear options but due to how the stats compare to one another power is king. Ends up making players min/max their gear with power. Then again, maybe it is intentional for more grind:o

After watching the livestream yesterday, I would make a guess that root break on stealth would be a heroic utility, along with undieing rage taking less health (assuming it doesn't change) and the building stacks of fury. It would be nice to see what there actually is, and the new abilitie(s) for each spec. I'm just hoping I can get root on stealth in any spec for pvp and build stacks for pve!

So apparently every class is getting a version of Bloodthirst. It is going to be ridiculous when all of the different versions of Bloodthirst are used at the same time. But I guess the same endgoal was accomplished, giving everyone bloodthirst so no one benefits over the others.

Kinda interesting that the new meta depending on where classes are balanced will be bringing one of every class. So losing a single class would mean you would need to shift around classes or get that specific class as replacement. Although what is best in 3.0 how well the classes are balanced they are at 60.

Looking forward to 3.0 to see how they are changing the different specs and see what shape Sentinels are in with regards to their rotations and the utility setup.

I think they made a big mistake with these utilities.

Lockout made sense when there was only Bloodthirst but now it's foolish. It means stacking class gimps you.

Also they all have the same % increase, I mean seriously 10% damage and healing increase vs 10% alacrity?...You gotta be kidding me.

I think they made a big mistake with these utilities.

Lockout made sense when there was only Bloodthirst but now it's foolish. It means stacking class gimps you.

Also they all have the same % increase, I mean seriously 10% damage and healing increase vs 10% alacrity?...You gotta be kidding me.

Well they are fixing alacrity, so that 10% boost to alacrity means not only 10% more damage and healing will go out during it, but also 10% more use on certain abilities (e.g. A guardian tank's blade storm will come slightly quicker, providing a second bubble slightly quicker.) Also ALL cooldowns will go quicker during the alacrity boost, and the debuff lockout will fall off quicker due to it - so that 30 second cooldown on master strike will lose 3 seconds due to the buffed alacrity (I think, im not quite sure how variable alacrity will affect the normal cooldowns)

Alacrity buff OP Nerf Plox

Edited by TACeMossie

Well they are fixing alacrity, so that 10% boost to alacrity means not only 10% more damage and healing will go out during it, but also 10% more use on certain abilities (e.g. A guardian tank's blade storm will come slightly quicker, providing a second bubble slightly quicker.) Also ALL cooldowns will go quicker during the alacrity boost, and the debuff lockout will fall off quicker due to it - so that 30 second cooldown on master strike will lose 3 seconds due to the buffed alacrity (I think, im not quite sure how variable alacrity will affect the normal cooldowns)

Alacrity buff OP Nerf Plox

I know, but still, no way 10% alacrity, 10% damage/heal, 10% crit and 50 (was it 50? or 10%? cba to look up) mainstat has the same value.

And the lockout is ***. Take 4 different class or go home.

Edited by cs_zoltan

I know, but still, no way 10% alacrity, 10% damage/heal, 10% crit and 50 (was it 50? or 10%? cba to look up) mainstat has the same value.

And the lockout is ***. Take 4 different class or go home.

10% bonus damage boost. Also 8-16 spots to fill 4 different classes it's not that hard get over it