The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

GTN Prcing Scams

Chortle

1. Or people could just be more attentive. It will actually help them later in life, as opposed to having all kinds of safeguards in place for whenever they do something rash or impulsive.

I disagree. If we have an option to help user reduce the chance of mistakes, it should be done. For example, why we have the https:// connection in modern browsers marked with green in address line? It helps us to reduce a chance to be caught on false webpages. Suggestion like "be attentive, it's enough" is similar to the advice looking at the GTN values with magnifying glass, because the difference between comma and dot will be clearly visible.

3. No. No, no, no. Nobody should be able to report someone for GTN activities. If someone wants to sell a mat for a high price, that's THEIR RIGHT as a seller regardless of how ridiculous the price is. Not to mention how severely this could be misused.

You misunderstood the idea. I emphasised an option to add a seller to the personal ignore list, this is a primary purpose. The option to report is additional and much less important (only for completeness of functionality). If you count it excessive and potentially abusive, I will not argue a lot.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pricing something high is NOT a scam. What's so difficult about understanding what a scam really is?

Here are some actual scams:

• Paying for something but receiving something else.
  • Calling an old person claiming to be a long-lost grandchild who needs money.
  • Winning a million dollars but you have to send them $5,000 first.
  • Emails from Nigeria.

And I'll ask again: Why is it a scam if you overpay for something but it's NOT a scam when you pay 500 for something that should be 500,000?

According to your definition of 'scam', you're scamming the seller cuz you know it's the wrong price but it benefits you so you happily buy it then brag about it in general chat.

I agree with this post. A high price is not a scam. Certainly some folks may feel 'scammed' because THEY made a mistake, but a tool already exists in the game to filter the items on the GTN by price. You can sort lowest to highest or highest to lowest. If you do not use this and instead eyeball something AND you get 'caught' by the same 'pricing scam' more than once, the onus is on you, not the developers, to fix things.

Its very easy to avoid paying too much for something. There is no scam here and nothing needs to be fixed.

I disagree. If we have an option to help user reduce the chance of mistakes, it should be done. For example, why we have the https:// connection in modern browsers marked with green in address line? It helps us to reduce a chance to be caught on false webpages. Suggestion like "be attentive, it's enough" is similar to the advice looking at the GTN values with magnifying glass, because the difference between comma and dot will be clearly visible.

Or you could just see if there's 2 or 3 numbers after the comma/dot. It's not hard, and you won't need a magnifying glass. 2 = decimal point, 3 = spacing.

It's a scam because when you sort it it gives the illusion that their over priced items are the cheapest and as there is no confirmation you can get hoses. Like I just did when I paid 6,500,000 million credits (90% of all my money) for 10 Zonolite.

Not using the sort feature correctly and not being able to read numbers at the third grade level still doesn't make free market pricing a scam.

Sorry to all you people who lost creds to stff like this but even a game dev as good as bioware can't cure stupid.

well maybe they could but electroshock their spy's kind of mean

Ad I'm saying this as a guy who once left 3 0s off the price for the walker mount he was selling by mistake.

Edited by Jrr_hypernova

This an interesting study in the way that such things are viewed.

In the broader world outside MMOs, it's quite common for the person running a scam to use these same lines of thinking to justify their actions -- the victim is supposedly the one at fault, because they should have known better, should have paid more attention, should have done some research, etc.

While people are responsible to protect themselves, that doesn't absolve the person initiating the scam of their blame.

At any rate, there are also legitimate scams on GTN. For example, anyone selling the 1-credit slot machine for 100s or 1000s of credits is, frankly, a scumbag.

This an interesting study in the way that such things are viewed.

In the broader world outside MMOs, it's quite common for the person running a scam to use these same lines of thinking to justify their actions -- the victim is supposedly the one at fault, because they should have known better, should have paid more attention, should have done some research, etc.

While people are responsible to protect themselves, that doesn't absolve the person initiating the scam of their blame.

At any rate, there are also legitimate scams on GTN. For example, anyone selling the 1-credit slot machine for 100s or 1000s of credits is, frankly, a scumbag.

If there is a Kroger and WalMart next door to each other, is the cashier at Kroger a scumbag for selling you a gallon of milk for $3.99 when they know they could tell you its only $3.59 next door at WalMart?

I don't see it as a real "scam" per se, but it does reinforce the fact that the buyer needs to double-check and triple-check what they're buying. Absolute worst-case scenario, you take so long double-checking and triple-checking that by the time you do buy that one item at a really, really good deal, it's not on for auction anymore either because someone bought it or the seller took it off to correct their own issue - in which case, your money comes right back to you at the mail terminal.

If you bought something for 250k when it's normally 25k, should you be protected? If you bought something for 25k that should normally be 250k, should the seller be protected? People make mistakes. It happens. A big mistake like this, you make once or twice before learning - the hard way - that you need to triple-check this stuff.

I've done stuff similar to this before - thankfully, I catch it before it's a big issue. I throw something up for sale and omit a 0 or add one more than I wanted. Buying, though, that's money directly out of my pocket so I make sure I'm as protected as I can be.

Victims are normally underaged people.

You must always check the price per unit and there is 2 tabs, cheaper and most expensive... click them and they auto arrange... you can easilly detect the gtn problematic prices..

An example is some crystals I add for sale... 99x 120.000 credits but when it comes to per unit, its like 1006,54,21

And it is a scam when the people who sells them are scammers... Its easy to detect.

eg: 1 crystal 110.000 and my price is 1006,54,21 those who rush, will pick the 110.000!!! There is no point of selling 1 crystal for 110.000 credits is it? or 1 million. That makes him a scam...

I think the best way to elliminate that, is to force us, to give the price per unit instead of the overall price per 99 units stuck. That will fix the problem.

Edited by Oyranos

Once after a long trip to a few countries where , is used instead of . in prices I made the mistake of buying some GTN items while dead tired. I paid millions for an item that goes for thousands. Oops.

That said, I don't think BW needs to do squat about GTN ripoffs. Anyone who gets ripped off, including me, didn't pay close enough attention to something that doesn't require much attention to detail to begin with. It's real easy to prevent.

Edited by Joesixxpack

Still not a scam. Sales scams are people selling something and lying about what it is or the state its in, which is impossible to do on the GTN. If person A wants to sell a crew skill item at 499,999 credits, that's their right to do so. It is what it is, all the information one needs to make the decision to buy it or not is there, and nobody is obligated to buy it.

And it is a scam when the people who sells them are scammers... Its easy to detect.

eg: 1 crystal 110.000 and my price is 1006,54,21 those who rush, will pick the 110.000!!! There is no point of selling 1 crystal for 110.000 credits is it? or 1 million. That makes him a scam...

Again, not a scam. Why should it be "illegal" to sell an item in one's possession for any price regardless of how high (or low) it is? Value is subjective, and the market fluctuates all the time. Some people are posting Revan's Mask for ridiculous amounts all the time (compared to "going rates"), would you call them scammers too? It's the exact same principle, right?

Make no mistake, I'm not denying that the people in question are doing something morally wrong, but it does not break any rules and is, by definition, NOT a scam.

Edited by MagikFingerz

• 2 weeks later...