Guild Tax

Fesm_ndt

With the advent of having strongholds and guild ships is there a way of having a guild tax i.e. 10% goes to the guild bank of every credit you find/make?

The guilds are going to become a much bigger part and at the moment I have one newbie 55 character with 5 others being built up. With this going on it's hard to chuck bulk credits into the bank, so small amounts every time is not noticeable, plus it allows the lower level characters to support the guild from as soon as they join.

As long as it only is applied to looted credits and mission rewards, I would be ok with this. But at the first hint of a tax being waged against my GTN transactions I will be moving all items I sell on the GTN to unguilded alt. And I won't be the only one.

A guild tax is a lazy solution for an actual underlying problem in your guild.

People are going to put money in the guild bank because they want to.

If they don't want to, there are probably reasons behind it. Fix those reasons and they'll donate. Forcing them to donate without fixing those reasons is a sloppy solution used by bad guild leaders that don't make their guild worth donating to.

A forced tax would just cause resentment. People would rather donate of their own free will. There are lots of ways to make money for the guild. When we do ops, we pass on mat drops and those go into the guild bank to be sold to guildies at half the gtn price. It's good for everyone. The guild makes repair funds, everyone has equal access to the mats and gets them for half what they'd pay elsewhere. We also do guild daily nights for additional cash and donate items to be sold either to guildies at half price or on the gtn for the going rate. People with decent income just plain give cash. We made enough for the initial purchase of a guild ship in about a month this way. Edited by errant_knight

A guild tax is a lazy solution for an actual underlying problem in your guild.

People are going to put money in the guild bank because they want to.

If they don't want to, there are probably reasons behind it. Fix those reasons and they'll donate. Forcing them to donate without fixing those reasons is a sloppy solution used by bad guild leaders that don't make their guild worth donating to.

A forced tax, yes...

I would like to be able to toggle on such a tax for myself. I don't want to have to remember to give 100k here and 200k there, I'd much prefer to give 5% of the loot income directly to the guild so I never have to think about it again.

Make it an option that players can turn on and off per alt, and let them set the percentage as well.

Everyone should be happy enough with that.

A forced tax would just cause resentment. People would rather donate of their own free will. There are lots of ways to make money for the guild. When we do ops, we pass on mat drops and those go into the guild bank to be sold to guildies at half the gtn price. It's good for everyone. The guild makes repair funds, everyone has equal access to the mats and gets them for half what they'd pay elsewhere. We also do guild daily nights for additional cash and donate items to be sold either to guildies at half price or on the gtn for the going rate. People with decent income just plain give cash. We made enough for the initial purchase of a guild ship in about a month this way.

That's actually an ingenious way to do it. Do you guys have set, fixed prices, or do people just go on the GTN, search for it, and say "Hey, these are going for X price, I'm taking one and paying X/2 for it to the bank, cool?" Or do you guys have fixed "guild armsmasters" who "sell" them to guildies?

That is a genious idea, though, and might shanghai it for my own guild (which consists of four people total, including myself, so it likely won't even be an issue.)

As long as it only is applied to looted credits and mission rewards, I would be ok with this. But at the first hint of a tax being waged against my GTN transactions I will be moving all items I sell on the GTN to unguilded alt. And I won't be the only one.

This. I craft a lot and sell those products on the GTN. These days my GTN income is averages out at about 500k per day, topping out at a million on certain select days. If any guild has the gull of taxing that income to the tune of 50-100k (10%) a day, I will /gquit with a middle finger as I don't even withdraw anything from the guild bank or use the guild repair funds.

The only thing this "guild tax" will achieve is to give certain exceptionally greedy guild leaders a legal method to extort credits from guild members for his own benefit.

A forced tax would just cause resentment. People would rather donate of their own free will. There are lots of ways to make money for the guild. When we do ops, we pass on mat drops and those go into the guild bank to be sold to guildies at half the gtn price. It's good for everyone. The guild makes repair funds, everyone has equal access to the mats and gets them for half what they'd pay elsewhere. We also do guild daily nights for additional cash and donate items to be sold either to guildies at half price or on the gtn for the going rate. People with decent income just plain give cash. We made enough for the initial purchase of a guild ship in about a month this way.

If they did it like other games in the genre where an amount is just put in the guild bank equal to 10% of whatever you looted and it doesn't impact the amount you receive there shouldn't be any resentment.

Hey look another thread on guild "taxes". Please see dozens of other threads why this isn't a good idea.

Depending on how its implemented will:

1) basically will amount to inflation (or raising other prices to compensate, mainly repair bills) since the amount of credits dropped into economy will increase by the "tax"

2) reduce MY income by whatever the "tax" rate is and thus LOWER the amount I would normally donate to my guild. It would be essentially the "forced" gratuity added to bills. If you are going to force me to pay that, that is ALL I will pay. Had you left it to me, I would probably have given more.

Hey look another thread on guild "taxes". Please see dozens of other threads why this isn't a good idea.

2) reduce MY income by whatever the "tax" rate is and thus LOWER the amount I would normally donate to my guild. It would be essentially the "forced" gratuity added to bills. If you are going to force me to pay that, that is ALL I will pay. Had you left it to me, I would probably have given more.

As the Ordnance Master for my guild it tends to fall on me to find ways to get the guild funds up, while we do have a few people that donate money, the mass majority sponge off the guild they belong to. If given a way to make a percentage of all money earned while adventuring goes to the guild (in excess of what you normally get [example boss drops 1000, you get 1000 and 100 extra credits is generated to the guild]). the more people kill things in the environment the more the guild prospers making it easy to do repairs and buy upgrades that people need.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.