Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Words that gamers get wrong

TheRealFluffy

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was always slightly confused by the term DPS to indicate a damage dealing class. 'Damage per second' was always a statistic to me before I started SWTOR.

I think you're mistaken.

"DPS" as it applies to a damage dealing character actually stands for: "Dat Pew, Son!"

I think you're mistaken.

"DPS" as it applies to a damage dealing character actually stands for: "Dat Pew, Son!"

Indeed, either referring to their blasting abilities, or to the stink that they put out if they are marauders or sentinels derping it up.

To the OP: your bad. Ewe should stahp.

You seem to assume there is some gravity of mood associated with literacy, and an opposing lightness of mood associated with illiteracy. Such is not the case. One's mood is not relevant to one's facility with English, except in extreme circumstances. Pretending that habitual stupidity is the result of being in a fun mood is disingenuous. You can have a good time and still be literate.

I don't seem to assume anything. You seem to be the one that is assigning the idea that literacy and mood are intertwined in some way to further an empty argument.

It is likely people are poking fun at you because they believe you're being too serious. There is no pretending or dishonesty that I can see, there is only the ridicule that you have seemingly had to endure as a result of your apparent lack of a sense of humor. And it seems you continue to suffer this injustice.

If you're offended by the idea that folks do not take your posts seriously, or consider your judgement of their literacy as important as navel lint, perhaps you should ponder whether or not a tomato is a Cadillac. Or perhaps take up poetry in a vacuum.

You could try freeze dried water. At least that way while you're indulging in frivolity you have something to do as your judgements are soundly rejected as hyperbole by the community at large.

This thread stands in evidence.

Shenanigans.

Edited by LordArtemis

Well, they are before they can get a job at my company. And I am not the only one :D

If it takes someone more than 20 years to notice how to properly use “it’s,” then that’s not a learning curve I’m comfortable with. So, even in this hyper-competitive market, I will pass on a great programmer who cannot write.

Writing ist part of almost every job worth doing these days. If you cannot do it properly, you are stuck with the McJobs.

Cheers

JP

Lol, I just read the article you linked. It is ironic the number of grammatical errors I found in an article about grammatical errors. The author should apply his own grammar standards to himself.

Einstein was a complete mess. He had a hard time remembering the day of the week. His wife had to remind him to change his clothes. His writing, in German and in English, is barely recognizable.

Edison never finished grade-school. He was "too slow and simple in the mind". He once sat on an egg, for weeks, to see if it would hatch.

This list could go on and on and on...

These guys did OK.

Edited by Klarick

Excuse: "It's jargon, not illiteracy, therefore it's legitimate English!"

Translation: "I wasn't aware of the correct way and now am upset. My defensive response manifests as lashing out at those who find some flaw in me."

Excuse: "It's slang, not illiteracy, therefore it's legitimate English!"

Translation: "I wasn't aware of the correct way and now am upset. My defensive response manifests as lashing out at those who find some flaw in me.

Excuse: "A famous comedian defended creativity (not illiteracy) with language, therefore it's legitimate English!"

Translation: "I wasn't aware of the correct way and now am upset. My defensive response manifests as lashing out at those who find some flaw in me.

I'm sure you could find many excuses for neither knowing nor practising the fundamentals of English. However, it still will not help you pass your exams or secure a decent job.

Translation: "I wasn't aware of the correct way and now am upset. My defensive response manifests as lashing out at those who find some flaw in me."

Excuse: "A famous comedian defended creativity (not illiteracy) with language, therefore it's legitimate English!"

I'm sure you could find many excuses for neither knowing nor practising the fundamentals of English. However, it still will not help you pass your exams or secure a decent job.

At least we know what end game means properly.

It's a good thing that a degree in English comes with a complementary degree in armchair psychology. Otherwise, I might not be able to take you seriously.

Every summer I hire kids just like you. I have not the time to waste over pedantic issues.

This is a game forum.

Because how we talk in a forum for a game is going to decide our whole careers. Yes.

Have you ever heard the term 'code switching'? Doesn't matter, I'm going to tell you anyway.

Code switching is what people do to adjust to different social situations. I'll use myself as an example as I demonstrate how I modify my speech patterns to fit.

Professor in the room.

I use proper English and more formal phrases because I am the student.

On the playground with kids at work.

I use my sweetest voice when laying down the law, so I am a buddy, but also the enforcer of rules.

With my friends at the bar.

We sit and chat at bullet-paced half phrases and tell old punchlines to inside jokes.

In Gen Chat in the game.

I use acronyms and *actions* while also utilizing half broken English because clthe stupid NPCs keep shooting me while I am typing. I do keep my common written errors out as best I can for clarity.

In General Discussion for a game's forum.

Pretty much the same as in Gen Chat though my English is no longer broken. I am far more coherent, but I am also not running around killing Imp/Pubs at the same time.

By the way, yes I do have a career that isn't McJobs. And I don't use perfect English on a forum. I don't use perfect English when I talk in casual settings.

so in your opinion and it IS merely your opinion... language is not allowed to evolve? only the meanings you deem correct - matter, and meanings that develop over time are illegitimate, because you said so?

I hope you realize that this also invalidates existence of american english as a whole. you know, becasue we kinda took British english and then ran with it, modifying it as we went, which is why you get hilarious misunderstandings when Brits and Americans unaware of changed meanings are trying and failing to successfully communicate.

oh and in your little world, that yearly thing they do, adding new words/meanings to the dictionary based on common use is also invalid. thou must not change the language! :rolleyes:

I only skimmed the first and last page. Did someone find out what the OP wanted to tell us? Or what he took?

If I had to guess, the OP recently got trashed by one of the "1337-speak" crowd or something to that effect and the only way he could think of to salvage face/ego was to come on the forums and spout off about something totally irrelevant.

Attacking someone's grammar when understanding has not been impeded is the last ditch effort of someone with nothing pertinent to say. Its an admission of "I cant actually defend my position or argue my case on its merits, so I have to go ad hominem and try and distract people and hope they dont notice."

I sit in my study all by myself, sipping cognac and scowling.

Yes, comrades - scowling fiercely, because somewhere out there, someone is abusing my language.

Or, perhaps, they're liturgically manhandling my nomenclature.

Whatever tomfoolery they're about, it really twists my treetops that they're getting away with it.

We must unite, my colleagues and comrades, my fraternal siblings in arms!

We must put an end to this sartorial menace heaping such infamy and shame upon the mother tongue!

We must loquaciously litigate in favor of our time-honored thesauri!

Alternatively, we might just make some hummus, maybe split a Sam Adams tetravis and call it a night.

Edited by Uruare

I sit in my study all by myself, sipping cognac and scowling.

Yes, comrades - scowling fiercely, because somewhere out there, someone is abusing my language.

Or, perhaps, they're liturgically manhandling my nomenclature.

Whatever tomfoolery they're about, it really twists my treetops that they're getting away with it.

We must unite, my colleagues and comrades, my fraternal siblings in arms!

We must put an end to this sartorial menace heaping such infamy and shame upon the mother tongue!

We must loquaciously litigate in favor of our time-honored thesauri!

Alternatively, we might just make some hummus, maybe split a Sam Adams tetravis and call it a night.

Forget Sam Adams. May not be noon yet where I live, but have some Black Butte porter from one of Oregon's craft breweries. Excellent language there with the big fancy words.

Though I personally enjoy using obscure little words. Throw people off and think that I am just another dumb twenty-something.

Forget Sam Adams. May not be noon yet where I live, but have some Black Butte porter from one of Oregon's craft breweries. Excellent language there with the big fancy words.

Though I personally enjoy using obscure little words. Throw people off and think that I am just another dumb twenty-something.

Black Butte's good stuff. Oregon's pretty tops for craft brews too. I'm down in San Diego. Lots of good stuff down here too. The Stone Brewery down here's got some great stuff in particular. If you ever get a chance to try a Stone Brewery Belgian or smoked porter, they do a very good job.

Sam Adams' tetravis (tetraevis? Spelling alert!) is surprisingly decent too though. Their New World ale is also pretty darn good.

Huzzah for better beer! And words too.

But mostly beer.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.