Why I almost quit SWTOR

Warlord_Maliken

While I was leveling I was very disappointed with the lack of clarity in the dialogue choices. Before I knew about the escape button, I was leveling my juggernaut and accidently AoE force choked Jaesa Wilsaam's family.... I was playing darkside but I would have gladly chosen a light side option during this scene because I don't role a scumbag. Anyway this summed up my experience, but all in all when I found out about ESC it voided the issue:

P.S. I wouldn't mind a small/new questline to redeem Jaesa so that shes normal again instead of a demon clown.,

Edited by Warlord_Maliken

In the preferences it allows you to show which dialogue options are aligned with which side of the force...from there you pretty much have to infer what you're character will do.

Only its not... like, when i AoE force choked Jaesa's family during that scene, i thought i was going to be force choking the jedi body guard, not the family..... just an example

P.S. I wouldn't mind a small/new questline to redeem Jaesa so that shes normal again instead of a demon clown.,

Unlikely, choices should mean something, and as a wise person once said, "If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will"

And while us player characters can wake up one morning and decided to change sides, NPCs shouldn't be able to flip flop like a fish out of water.

I was playing darkside but I would have gladly chosen a light side option during this scene because I don't role a scumbag

I see, I see! I'm lightside so I'd rarely even give the consequences a second thought. Taking it the step further to RP'ing, I can certainly see how some lines of dialogue need clarification.

Unlikely, choices should mean something, and as a wise person once said, "If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will"

And while us player characters can wake up one morning and decided to change sides, NPCs shouldn't be able to flip flop like a fish out of water.

Except sometimes the dialog choices lead to a cut scene totally different than you thought it would.

Its kinda funny how out of sync some of the responses are compared to the dialog wheel text though...

NPC: "Oh great and powerful sith please help me!"

I pick "Ok let's do this"

My character says;

"Murder and mayhem await!"

Edited by XiamaraSimi

Welcome to pretty much any bioware game ever made.

I'm not a fan of it, but that's how it is (and I don't see it changing any time soon)

Yeah, they moved away from the clear choices long ago. KOTOR still showed the exact dialogue you were picking I believe, but most games after that did it ME style.

Sometimes an option looks perfectly reasonable, but when you click it your character acts like an absolute douche.

Escape's your friend in this game! :p

My main problem is that so many choices I take for sarcasm or irony... only to find out that they were really meant to be that dumb.

I use esc alot :p

Yeah, same thing happens to me too.

I vividly recall one quest on Corusant with corrupt senator and slave chips. His servant talks about how the senator cares about his people and one of your responses is "I am sure he does." It sounds so obviously ironic... And then I pick it and my character (unironically) says: "He sounds like a great man." I picked this answer by accident at least three times with different characters, always thinking it would be sarcasm. There is a sarcastic answer, but under the "Give me a break", which doesn't really hint to sarcasm, more like: "Go to hell".

And I have also problems playing my consular. Qyzen likes aggresive "Let's kill everyone" options. I see my consular more as a pacifist, but she does hate slavers and such, so sometimes, I pick those answers.

And then I get: "Sometimes, violence is the only solution!" , which is exactly what my consular doesn't think... Sigh.

Sometimes it would have made more sense to write:

<> Sumbmissively bow to his will

<> Kill his companions and foce choke him!

<> Snide remark (disagree)

Instead of

<> This is a good idea.

<> You shouldn't do that, Dave!

<> This is not a solution.

When appropriate. It's just... sometimes a descriptive version of what your character will say/do would be way better than a totally different sentence and blatand ignorance of all irony, sarcasm... I bet in swtor Han Solo would seriously tank c3po for interrupting... well, you know.

Edited by chillshock

Yeah, they moved away from the clear choices long ago. KOTOR still showed the exact dialogue you were picking I believe, but most games after that did it ME style.

Sometimes an option looks perfectly reasonable, but when you click it your character acts like an absolute douche.

I read somewhere that BW was actually listening. In DA:I they've changed it so that when you hover over a choice, it'll give you an idea of exactly what will be said.

Though sometimes those cutscenes finish too abruptly and fast. Bad if you are exploring dialog choices to see what's actually best or simply curious.

For example, my 2nd Trooper

killed that senator traitor dude.... :D

That was not what I was going for but I wanted to see what happened when you did, don't know, but it was like the green chick saying "omg, what have you done?!" and boom, that was it, no time to hit escape. Now off to explain stuff to Garza, lol

And here's Exhibit #1 as to why they made choices less meaningful and why they got rid of the ability to kill companions in beta.

I remember that. I would of liked to have Treek before they changed it. Treek look out the hatch. Quick kick

her out the hatch...GGGGoooaaallll:) Life is good.

ME and DA 2 were real bad.