The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Weekly server maintenance EU times?

Crenshaw

While I can understand the plight of our European cousins, it is premature to assume that this benefits all Americans...or rather seperates us. I can't speak for everyone, but I work midnight shifts on my job..thus my playing time is exactly the time you would be playing. Well at least for the hours that I would be up before going to sleep (usually 11am EST). So I feel your pain there.

Of course there are always exceptions to the rule, but it has to be said that MOST players are in bed after 3am, which means it's GENERALLY a good time to perform maintenance. I understand how crucial regular maintenance is, it has to be done, but it needs to be done, and there will always be a pain for some people, but it should be done when most people are not playing.

I just find it hard to believe that there are more EU players on between 3am and 11am than between 11am and 5pm, I think that Chris Collins is telling porkies.

BioWare need to review these times for the EU, it's not the best time for the community. It's my opinion that they are suiting themselves.

Edited by Mandrax

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"emergency personel"

Exactly what I do. I too am not entirely happy about the "daytime" maint. period. Hopefully this doesnt continue. We'll see. It would make more sense to do maint at an earlier period, 0100 or such, as if time needs to be extended then this won't entirely effect the majority player base.

Of course there are always exceptions to the rule, but it has to be said that MOST players are in bed after 3am, which means it's GENERALLY a good time to perform maintenance. I understand how crucial regular maintenance is, it has to be done, but it needs to be done, and there will always be a pain for some people, but it should be done when most people are not playing.

I just find it hard to believe that there are more EU players on between 3am and 11am than between 11am and 5pm, I think that Chris Collins is telling porkies.

BioWare need to review these times for the EU, it's not the best time for the community. It's my opinion that they are suiting themselves.

Indeed, it sounds like more of a business decision than anything. Its more cost beneficial to maintain one standard, rather than two standards. Thus I foresee a there continuing to be one maintaince standard for both the US and EU. The trick is balancing it at a time that is beneficial for both populations, but also plays happy with thier pocket books.

I do realize they needed to get a patch out for the Taris memory leak..which is a game breaker, but everything else seemed superficial. They could have chosen a better day to do the maintaince, in recognizing the holiday season. I realize they have been overworked and really busy since launch, but its not like they didnt know this was coming...we've been bringing it up on the forums since August when I joined beta.

Secondly, although many of you are able to play at this time, this is actually one of the times in the day (and the week) when we have the lowest number of players in game.

How can you tell when the game is still new and I find it hard to believe that 10 am GMT is a slow time in EU unless ofc you are speaking mainly for the NA servers?

And considering all the Crap that has hit the fan in the first 5 days of launch I would think you are not SURE of anything yet

Bioware like all American companies only think of American users and ignoring the rest of the world. Apparently our money is worth less than the money of an American and might have to ask ourselves if we play a game dont respect EU comunnity. Video game company prefers sell less and have more people unhappy?

This way of marketing is curious, not only that if it's over the language of play is in English, French, German. When for instance the Spanish spoken by 500 million people (I have no data, but the French spoken in Canada ... France ... and little else) and the German in Germany and surrounding countries.

In short, not only bioware does not care about their customers if they have not even issued an official statement (the GMs go through the forum? Know there?)

I love the game, I really like the mechanics, the gameplay and content, I'm Spanish and I understand English perfectly and I express myself more or less well.

This situation of European neglect how long will it last? how long will last the humiliation of not translating into Spanish a game (where Spanish is one of the first languages ​​of the world (after Chinese course)

Sincerely yours, Reyli

Edited by sekitosekete

None of the listed reasons make any sense. You have screwed Europe out of one full day of gaming.

Keep EU updates at off-peak hours. For example 2 am in the morning, servers back up at 7 am.

There is absolutely no reason to do updates in the US and EU at the same time, if it means loosing a full day of gaming. Who cares if the EU servers gets a patch 12 hours later (or earlier) than the US. If it emans updates are done nighttime during the week - absolutely noone will care.

Try reading what he wrote, pause, breath, then try again.

"Firstly, in the past, we've talked on a number of occasions about how we will run a global service. Many players raised concerns that patches/updates would land later in the EU than in the US. We stated that as we're running a global service, we'll do everything we can to make sure the updates go live in both regions as close together as possible. For this to be achievable, we need to run maintenance at the same time. "

What he's saying is THIS ...

Some hardcore who think 'world firsts' mean something whined that it was unfair for updates to be applied to one set of servers before the other, so Bioware chose to pander to these losers for whom world and server firsts matter and decided to sync. maintenance times so updates will happen at the same time.

Thus, losers racing each other for worthless 'world firsts' get a 'level' playing field, while the rest of us get to lose gaming time.

Edited by KerinKor

And WoW often goes down on tuesdays, so your statement about all other MMOs is incorrect.

Actually World of Warcraft have their Maintenance on a Wednesday. Starting at 3am CET (2am GMT) & finishing at 6am CET (5am GMT).

Extended maintenance will sometimes take that to 11am CET (10am GMT).

Never, in 6 years of playing World of Warcraft, have they taken their servers down for Scheduled maintenance at 10am GMT until 6pm GMT (11am - 7pm CET) - being a Professional company, Blizzard know full well the consequences of such folly.

It is a pity BioWare, who I once considered Professional, did not take this from WoW, like they did many other things.

If you live in the US, this has zero impact on you & thus to come into this thread & say it is all nonsense is hypocritical. I'm fairly certain if Maintenance was 10am - 7pm US time, there would be just as much outrage - but for us in Europe that would be 4pm/5pm - 1am/2am (gmt/cet) - so we would still be impacted.

However, it was 4am - 1pm for those in the US - thus had zero impact.

Im sorry, but this is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard from a dev... that 1am to 7am has a higher percentage of online players than in the afternoon?

i sincerely doubt that you even looked at the stats and just pulled that information out of the ether.

What I found hilarious was, "this is actually one of the times in the day (and the week) when we have the lowest number of players in game."

The game was live a WEEK and they talk as if they have months of live data to go on when making this statement.

And not only that... but live was LAST TUESDAY. Weren't the servers down around the same time? So, um, yeah, last Tuesday that time was quiet. Surprise, that.

Edited by Hlicalanthe

Funny thing,

I'm on gmt+1. I come back every day from work at around 5h15 pm (15 mins after the supposed end of the scheduled maintenance).

Every day I have queues around 300 people.

So I guess it is not a peak hour when the server is full.

Nice one bioware.

My son and I got the game for xmas from the wife, xmas day was for my family so we only had time to set it up and play about 40 minutes in the evening. Boxing day we spent with her family, so again only an hour or so to play. The 27th was my first 'free'day. I was with friends until about 2.30 then came home, had a spot of lunch and planned to play a few hours in the afternoon before we settled down as a family to watch a movie or play some games. This gave me a window between 3pm and 7pm during which I hoped to play for about an hour, perhaps two.

I didn't get to play at all and I wasn't even able to get onto the forums to register my complaint because they where flooded with people registering thier complaint. Its not that I didn't have plenty of other things I could do its more that I've just bought two copies and had to set up subscriptions then two days later the whole thing is offline for almost an entire day for 'scheduled maintenance'. If something had gone wrong I'd understand more but this really appears to be two fingers to the EU subscribers.

I only hope it's early days teathing troubles and not a sign of how things are supposed to be.

Even setting the maintenance back by just an hour so it ends at 3PM rather than 4PM would be miles better. This is ridiculous and very worrying considering the NA favourism.

No, they need to do it when the LEAST players are on, and that is the small hours. If maintenance gets extended even if it is meant to finish at 3pm then it will affect a large number of people. If the maintenance is set from 3am then they have a huge window to get the tasks completed and if needs to be extended it will affect a much smaller number of players.

Maintenance should NEVER be performed during the daytime unless it is an absolute emergency.

Funny thing,

I'm on gmt+1. I come back every day from work at around 5h15 pm (15 mins after the supposed end of the scheduled maintenance).

Every day I have queues around 300 people.

So I guess it is not a peak hour when the server is full.

Nice one bioware.

I think the dev who posted that is doing alot of assuming and guessing. The time is not a good one to have servers down at all at least not for EU players, it is great for NA players I am sure

I would not care if they took 9 hour -10 hours per fix if I was sleeping but Oh wait. I am GMT +2 I am wanting to play at that time :(

I think the dev who posted that is doing alot of assuming and guessing. The time is not a good one to have servers down at all at least not for EU players, it is great for NA players I am sure

I would not care if they took 9 hour -10 hours per fix if I was sleeping but Oh wait. I am GMT +2 I am wanting to play at that time :(

I think he is just playing with words a bit. As a whole, it probably is one of the least populated times when you take into account that the US are in bed and many EU players are at work or at school. What is more important however, is that they take into account the least populated times for the EU alone and the US alone.

The US will have more overall players than the EU so it's obvious that if you take the US out of the equation that the total populations across the US and EU will drop significantly. Therefore, when most of the EU are in bed, the US are playing, so looking at the 3am onwards slot for CET, when you take the player base as a whole, it's not a quiet time.

It's a con. They are taking the total game population combined, then looking at the quietest times. What they should be doing is taking the game population for each region, then looking at the quietest times for each region, and performing maintenance accordingly. They are trying to be cheap, they are trying to make it easier for themselves so there is a single maintenance period globally.

If they did it properly it would mean they have to manage two maintenance schedules. They are taking the easy route and screwing the EU players. It's the wrong policy to adopt. It needs to change.

Edited by Mandrax

Really....

How can new MMO's like Rift and old ones like WoW deliver this service and not SWTOR?

I mean, ur either a MMO competing for customers by providing quality or you are not....

Also claiming that tuesday afternoon is a non-peak day after the game has only been out officially for like 1 week.... Just shows it is a very crude estimation?

How the hell was this established and isn't it strange that this low peak time differs from other MMO's?

Something is really off....

WoW is down, or was during the first 4 years of development, EVERY Tuesday from 7 am to 2 pm EST.

If you don't have a job, or work an afternoon or night shift, this CAN be frustrating. But BW isn't going to have two staffs running updates at two different times of day. Too much room for errors or discrepancies between the US and EU updates.

Just be patient, once the game is reaching it's 5th year of existence, some of those Tuesdays will be skipped. :)

Edited by agincourt

WoW is down, or was during the first 4 years of development, EVERY Tuesday from 7 am to 2 pm EST.

If you don't have a job, or work an afternoon or night shift, this CAN be frustrating. But BW isn't going to have two staffs running updates at two different times of day. Too much room for errors or discrepancies between the US and EU updates.

Just be patient, once the game is reaching it's 5th year of existence, some of those Tuesdays will be skipped. :)

Sorry, but other MMOs seem to manage to get it right. So far, BioWare have got it wrong. What WoW did or didn't 3 years ago isn't important. The issue here is that almost every other MMO that has been released in the EU do their maintenance in the very early hours of the morning, and not during the daytime.

Edited by Mandrax

Really, this is insulting.

First you stamp me with the 2nd class citizen mark by not allowing me to preorder, although I live in a country that's been part of the EU for many years (and have been playing MMOs for even longer, most of the time on US east without any problems whatsoever). So I have to go through a 3rd party...

Then you won't accept my Mastercard. Nor my Visa. Nor my business Mastercard... So I have to go through Paypal (and pay an extra fee) just to be able to subscribe and have access to a free month I already paid for.

Then I see the dailies reset at 6am CST, which is like in the middle of a day in EU. Great... not.

This doesn't even take a person to do it manually, and working as a senior software engineer I guarantee it's not rocket science to implement it as configurable.

And then this day-time maintenance joke. Wow, really? Do you hate your EU customers that much?

You should give us 2 days/month free as compensation. And no, personally I really wouldn't want that. I would rather see our maintenance times changed to be more in line with EU timezones.

And do I even have to say how great extended maintenances are going to be? Forget about Tuesdays...

sincerely,

2nd class EU citizen (/sarcasm_off)

ffs people... its the first real patch after the first week of release....

take a chillpill and relax. it will all straighten out... give them time to over the chaotic few weeks leading up to the release....

u LIVE in USA right?

We are 2 category citizens, and bioware trolling EUROPEAN comunity .

TIP: If u gonna post and u live on USA (east or west) i dont care, TL/DR , just we are playing and PAYING LIKE THE REST. stop RACISM.(yes racism)

Cheers!

Edited by sekitosekete